Visit site
✟350,200.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That statement does not make sense. Dos and don't are included in our theologies. Not to mention you quoted the OP who knows what his point of the OP was.
Do you believe that d and dont of food consumption is still part of theology today or does your church teach that it is. Examples?

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Τίποτα νέο μυθιστόρημα τίποτα
Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Do you believe that d and dont of food consumption is still part of theology today or does your church teach that it is. Examples?

For us it's not about the dietary Laws given in the wilderness. But Orthodox do tend to fast from meat oil and wine just a tad.^_^

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
During fasts does and don'ts make good sense but they are temporary and their theology is tied to an occasion more than to "health" (unless the fast is medical, in which case it is a health issue).

When I first came to the Orthodox church it didn't seem very temporal but lasted what seemed like forever. I'd crave cheese, meat, olive oil and a glass of wine like an expectant mother. Now I embrace it.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When I first came to the Orthodox church it didn't seem very temporal but lasted what seemed like forever. I'd crave cheese, meat, olive oil and a glass of wine like an expectant mother. Now I embrace it.
I can't help but notice that Catholics in the Roman rite have an easier fast and less stringent abstinence than appears to be the case with some Orthodox and some Eastern Catholic jurisdictions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't help but notice that Catholics in the Roman rite have an easier fast and less stringent abstinence than appears to be the case with some Orthodox and some Eastern Catholic jurisdictions.

I think "easier and less stringent" is a serious understatement. ;)

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Some churches I've gone to have fasts as part of special prayer times. It's always seemed a good practise.

The feasts are also a good practice.:)
Orthodox fasts are not as hard as it may appear. It's not like we starve ourselves from all food but we do generally cut back on everything.. I've been a part of some evangelic fasts where the plan was to basically not eat at all and with an unrealistic time involved. When I heard Orthodox did 40 days I just about panicked until it was explained a bit better.
it was just this year that I realized Catholics didn't fast like us. When I heard of their fast I almost didn't believe it. I really thought MoreCoffee was pulling my leg.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some churches I've gone to have fasts as part of special prayer times. It's always seemed a good practise.

The Pentecostal type churches I have gone to tended to suggest more severe fasts too - usually water only for periods of days at least.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The feasts are also a good practice.:)
Orthodox fasts are not as hard as it may appear. It's not like we starve ourselves from all food but we do generally cut back on everything.. I've been a part of some evangelic fasts where the plan was to basically not eat at all and with an unrealistic time involved. When I heard Orthodox did 40 days I just about panicked until it was explained a bit better.
it was just this year that I realized Catholics didn't fast like us. When I heard of their fast I almost didn't believe it. I really thought MoreCoffee was pulling my leg.

You were posting at the same time as me, but yes, what you said.

I had the same evangelical no- food fasts, and when I heard Orthodox were 40+ days ... I thought I might as well forget it.

And I couldn't believe the Catholic fasts either, since I knew the Orthodox first.

Father M. said I can't give up chocolate for Lent. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟350,200.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A thread on feasts that I can't link with my tablet was about equivalent feasts, I think there's 7 in OT , set to the 7 names of God in the NT....based on the 7 days before the crucifiction was a fun study ;)

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just one (or two) of many reasons for considering the Pope cool ;)

Yeah, but I can't go making decisions based on what's "easier". Must admit, there are many things about the CC that are "easier". A Church I could ride a bike to that has services every day instead of nearly an hour on the highway once a week too.

But as I said, I can't go making decisions based on "easier and less stringent" - even if it's MUCH easier and less stringent, lol.

Like I said, the fasting is an understatement.

I think y'all do have some cool monastics too though, don't you? I think the first books I read on faith were written by monks and mystics, probably post-schism.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,200,379.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just one (or two) of many reasons for considering the Pope cool ;)
Knowing the benefits of Orthodox fasting, quite the opposite actually. Like Mama Kidogo, I literally could not believe the paucity of fasting in the RC tradition. It left me very sad for all you Latin rite people.

Upvote 0

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
GCC and I gave up meat and alcohol completely for Holy Week this year. Much as I like falafel, I was dying for a burger and beer by the end of the week. And that was only one week...

That said, Lutherans tend to not have a formal practice of fasting, unfortunately. It's pretty much left up to the individual's piety, and certainly makes it more difficult when the whole community isn't participating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Knowing the benefits of Orthodox fasting, quite the opposite actually. Like Mama Kidogo, I literally could not believe the paucity of fasting in the RC tradition. It left me very sad for all you Latin rite people.
Do not feel sad. Jesus explained the matter thus: I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way. and also Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,200,379.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Do not feel sad. Jesus explained the matter thus: I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way. and also Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.
I am at a loss as to how you think the above has anything to do with the almost complete lack of the discipline of fasting in the vast majority of the Catholic Church. If anything it saddens me more.

Upvote 0
B

Blessedj01

I just enjoyed a lovely beef stew full of carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, onion, beef, and garlic. It has white pepper as seasoning along with some salt from the vegetable stock I used. So, I suspect it was pretty close to kosher but definitely not vegetarian and probably not approved by Ellen White ;)

Is there a theology to cooking, are we definitely forbidden from partaking of some foods, like blood for example? Or has all that passed with the system of laws that made the nation of Israel a peculiar people.

No sabbath debates in here please, and no crazy religion either. :)

There's absolutely no rules on cooking. Except for the obvious, like stealing the food, torturing animals, being careless in treatment of crops (being good stewards of the earth), etc. It doesn't matter what we eat but it might matter where our food comes from. That leads to many larger questions.

The only other thing I can think of is greed.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am at a loss as to how you think the above has anything to do with the almost complete lack of the discipline of fasting in the vast majority of the Catholic Church. If anything it saddens me more.
I'd have thought that the passages had an obvious link to stringency in fasting and abstinence; the first example is Jesus' concern for the physical well being of those who came out to hear him teach and the second is Jesus expressing his certainty that time and occasions will arise when fasting will become a necessity but that as long as the faithful have Christ with them and the occasion for fasting is not thrust upon them they may rejoice in his presence.

Upvote 0

Mama Kidogo

Jan 31, 2014
USA for the time being
✟19,535.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
GCC and I gave up meat and alcohol completely for Holy Week this year. Much as I like falafel, I was dying for a burger and beer by the end of the week. And that was only one week...

That said, Lutherans tend to not have a formal practice of fasting, unfortunately. It's pretty much left up to the individual's piety, and certainly makes it more difficult when the whole community isn't participating.

You hit on something good. When I first learned what we we about to do, I was expecting it to work about as well as the Baptist's tea totaling rule. You know where everyone says they do and most really don't. But i was pleasantly surprised that do they not only do it but they are very good about helping each other keep the fast. Especially the women. And with it being a small village nearly entirely Orthodox there were not smells wafting up like from Burger King.
It's much easier when we are doing it as one than attempting it alone.

Upvote 0