• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟107,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
:thumbsup:

Are there any commandments other than the 10 involved in Deuteronomy 6:4? Any other commandments from the 603?

Yes, all ten of them. for we must love God to followtheprinciples found in the other 9 commandments.

Look the 603 up if you're that interested in reading from Pharisaical sources.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟190,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, all ten of them. for we must love God to followtheprinciples found in the other 9 commandments.
Are you saying that only the Ten Commandments are found in Deuteronomy 6:4?

Look the 603 up if you're that interested in reading from Pharisaical sources.
Is the "603" number why you keep bringing up the Pharisees? It's in the thread title. I'm just using it as shorthand in this thread for "instructions other than the Ten Commandments."

So, if we consider what commandments from the law of Moses we are to keep today, do any of them come from the instructions other than the Ten Commandments?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟107,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Are you saying that only the Ten Commandments are found in Deuteronomy 6:4?

Is the "603" number why you keep bringing up the Pharisees? It's in the thread title. I'm just using it as shorthand in this thread for "instructions other than the Ten Commandments."

So, if we consider what commandments from the law of Moses we are to keep today, do any of them come from the instructions other than the Ten Commandments?
Why would a person want to separate verse 4 from the context in which it was said? Notice the conjunction and as the first word in verse 5 which signifies verse 4 is a part of a much larger thought.

Deuteronomy 6: 4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:
5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.*n2
8 And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.
9 And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.
10 And it shall be, when the Lord thy God shall have brought thee into the land which he sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give thee great and goodly cities, which thou buildedst not,
11 And houses full of all good things, which thou filledst not, and wells digged, which thou diggedst not, vineyards and olive trees, which thou plantedst not; when thou shalt have eaten and be full;
12 Then beware lest thou forget the Lord, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.*n3
13 Thou shalt fear the Lord thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name.

You're becoming just like a Pharisee when you're implying the instructions as to frontlets and hands and sign posts should be carried out literally. The continuation of the passage makes this obvious. The message is to keep God in the forefront of our minds in all we think, do, and say. as verse 7 plainly says. The Pharisees did exactly what you're implying and they lost sight of God completely as they made them the physical objects the point.

Jesus made the same point.

Matthew 23: 1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,
7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.
8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟190,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would a person want to separate verse 4 from the context in which it was said?
I'm not sure, that's why I was asking if that's what you were doing.

Notice the conjunction and as the first word in verse 5 which signifies verse 4 is a part of a much larger thought.

Deuteronomy 6: 4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:
5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.*n2
8 And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.
9 And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.
10 And it shall be, when the Lord thy God shall have brought thee into the land which he sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give thee great and goodly cities, which thou buildedst not,
11 And houses full of all good things, which thou filledst not, and wells digged, which thou diggedst not, vineyards and olive trees, which thou plantedst not; when thou shalt have eaten and be full;
12 Then beware lest thou forget the Lord, which brought thee forth out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.*n3
13 Thou shalt fear the Lord thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name.

You're becoming just like a Pharisee when you're implying the instructions as to frontlets and hands and sign posts should be carried out literally. The continuation of the passage makes this obvious. The message is to keep God in the forefront of our minds in all we think, do, and say. as verse 7 plainly says. The Pharisees did exactly what you're implying and they lost sight of God completely as they made them the physical objects the point.

Jesus made the same point.

Matthew 23: 1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,
2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat:
3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
4 For they bind heavy burdens and grievous to be borne, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers.
5 But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
6 And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,
7 And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.
8 But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren.
Okay, and then applying it to the thread topic and what we've been talking about, are any of the instructions in the law of Moses in effect on us today, other than the 10 commandments? Or is that what you're getting at when you talk about not carrying things out literally, there are things that apply to us that we don't carry out literally? If so, I'd agree!

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟107,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm not sure, that's why I was asking if that's what you were doing.

Okay, and then applying it to the thread topic and what we've been talking about, are any of the instructions in the law of Moses in effect on us today, other than the 10 commandments? Or is that what you're getting at when you talk about not carrying things out literally, there are things that apply to us that we don't carry out literally? If so, I'd agree!
Other than the 10 commandments, only the dietary laws as those directly affect our health and thus our spiritual understanding.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟190,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Other than the 10 commandments, only the dietary laws as those directly affect our health and thus our spiritual understanding.
Okay, that seems reasonable, and then just the scriptural piece...

I don't think Dietary laws is a scriptural phrase, so are we talking about anything that goes into our mouths? I'm asking because there are some laws about clean and unclean that could relate to what goes into our mouths, but might not be normally thought of as dietary laws.

Are you talking about just things that go into our mouths, and not other laws about clean and unclean?

And I think it would be good to have the scriptural connection between dietary laws and spiritual understanding. Is there a passage that talks about that?

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟107,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Okay, that seems reasonable, and then just the scriptural piece...

I don't think Dietary laws is a scriptural phrase, so are we talking about anything that goes into our mouths? I'm asking because there are some laws about clean and unclean that could relate to what goes into our mouths, but might not be normally thought of as dietary laws.

Are you talking about just things that go into our mouths, and not other laws about clean and unclean?

And I think it would be good to have the scriptural connection between dietary laws and spiritual understanding. Is there a passage that talks about that?
The only Biblical laws of clean and unclean that I know of relate to meat. They were known before the flood.

Genesis 7: 1 And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟190,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only Biblical laws of clean and unclean that I know of relate to meat. They were known before the flood.

Genesis 7: 1 And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female.
Well, here's an example

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟107,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟88,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I only read the OP and the last page of the thread so someone may have mentioned ths already...

But didn't the teaching about the new wineskins clear it up about the law? The old wine is the law and the new wine is grace and love from Jesus, and we are to make ourselves a new wineskin to be able to receive the new wine?

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟107,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, an oven, of course, isn't something that you eat. But it is related to the preparation of food.

So... Would you consider that a "dietary law"?
I would call it common sense not to eat food that has touched leprosy.

Reactions: Divide
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟107,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I only read the OP and the last page of the thread so someone may have mentioned ths already...

But didn't the teaching about the new wineskins clear it up about the law? The old wine is the law and the new wine is grace and love from Jesus, and we are to make ourselves a new wineskin to be able to receive the new wine?
That is speaking about the new birth experience. The old man cannot contain the new spiritual life. It is destroyed by new concepts and beliefs which the true Christian lives by.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟190,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It sounds reasonable to me, but we have some wonderful Christian brothers and sisters who want to keep at least some parts of the law. So we have this section CF where we can hopefully have edifying discussions about it!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟190,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, it's not leprosy, it's certain kinds of dead animals.

I'm trying to clear up the issue of what it is you consider "dietary laws" :)

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟190,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Duplicate post. But while I'm editing it anyways, the part about the oven relates to what to do with the oven, not directly to putting food in your mouth.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟107,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, it's not leprosy, it's certain kinds of dead animals.

I'm trying to clear up the issue of what it is you consider "dietary laws" :)
I thought this was more of the Leprosy bit.

Why wouldn't unclean food make the cooking apparatus unclean when they fall on it. It's more of the same.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟88,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is speaking about the new birth experience. The old man cannot contain the new spiritual life. It is destroyed by new concepts and beliefs which the true Christian lives by.

Exactly. Now we live in the dispensation of grace age. But before Jesus came they were undel the dispensation of law. Jesus said, I have new and better covenant with you now, and we entered the age of grace. The new covenant is the new wine and the old wine is the law.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0