The significance of the terms "the Law and the Prophets".

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Then you continue to read Matthew 5 and he explains exactly what he is talking about in context. He does not say follow the Levitical law or the ceremonial law. Notice everything he points out lines up with the 10 commandments. Also notice there is no mention of the sabbath.

Hello 2Timothy2:15, nice to see you.

Who said Jesus says to follow the Levitical and ceremonial law? Correct everything he says does line up with the spiritual application of the 10 commandments.

After stating that none of God's LAW (10 Commandments) have been abolished v17-19, Jesus then goes on to say; v20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus then goes on and amplifies the application of God's LAW to the heart (thoughts and feelings) which is the very root of sin saying that if we lust after women we are committing Adultery and being angry with your brother as murder from the 10 commandments as examples in v17-27.Jesus starts out by saying;

Jesus finishes by saying in v48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Yep looks like we need a fixing. We have a broken heart.

There are 10 commandments written by God on the tables of stone. The other 8 are not mentionded does that means we can break them according to Matthew 5? If you believe that then you do not know what Jesus was talking about when he uses the spiritual application of lust and anger in committing adultery and murder.

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Then you continue to read Matthew 5 and he explains exactly what he is talking about in context. He does not say follow the Levitical law or the ceremonial law. Notice everything he points out lines up with the 10 commandments. Also notice there is no mention of the sabbath.

22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:

34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.

37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Hello 2Timothy.

You stated the following in this post.
Notice everything he points out lines up with the 10 commandments.
How does this statement below by Jesus, line up with the ten commandments?

Matthew 6:14-15
For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

You can read the ten commandments over and over again, and not see this commandment that Jesus gave us.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello 2Timothy2:15, nice to see you.

Who said Jesus says to follow the Levitical and ceremonial law? Correct everything he says does line up with the spiritual application of the 10 commandments.

After stating that none of God's LAW (10 Commandments) have been abolished v17-19, Jesus then goes on to say; v20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus then goes on and amplifies the application of God's LAW to the heart (thoughts and feelings) which is the very root of sin saying that if we lust after women we are committing Adultery and being angry with your brother as murder from the 10 commandments as examples in v17-27.Jesus starts out by saying;

Jesus finishes by saying in v48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Yep looks like we need a fixing. We have a broken heart.

There are 10 commandments written by God on the tables of stone. The other 8 are not mentionded does that means we can break them according to Matthew 5? If you believe that then you do not know what Jesus was talking about when he uses the spiritual application of lust and anger in committing adultery and murder.

May God bless you as you seek him through his Word.
Another one following the spiritual interpretation of the ten commandments.

Please explain how the following command given by Jesus is one of the ten commandments?

Matthew 6:24
“No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello 2Timothy.

You stated the following in this post.

How does this statement below by Jesus, line up with the ten commandments?

Matthew 6:14-15
For if you forgive others for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.

You can read the ten commandments over and over again, and not see this commandment that Jesus gave us.

I quoted Matthew 5 not Matthew 6 :)

Upvote 0

Kelvin Owens

Aug 9, 2018
Tracy
✟10,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another one following the spiritual interpretation of the ten commandments.

Please explain how the following command given by Jesus is one of the ten commandments?

Matthew 6:24
“No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

The natural mind cannot understand, comprehend, or interpret the things of the Spirit as they are spiritually discerned. 1 Cor 2:14, Romans 8:5

In Matthew 6:24 Jesus is telling us that we cannot seek solely after wealth/money because we would be putting that first before Him making it a god/master. You cannot serve wealth and love God. Serving wealth means putting all your time and energy to accumulate as much money as you can and not spending any time developing your relationship with God. God has to be first and the most important thing in our lives.

The craving for wealth and possessions can lead us into all kinds of temptation. While we spend evenings and weekends earning extra money, we are depriving our families of our love and attention. We may take unfair advantage of our customers, employers, or employees. We may attempt to rationalize our greed by closing our minds and hearts to the needs and rights of others. In the process, we could end up being stingy, bitter and isolated.

The two contradict each other. Wealth=Flesh/World, God=Spirit/Kingdom. 1 John 2:16 Not only are you making it a god (wealth) when your not serving God, but also it becomes an idol as you are lifting it up above the Creator.

So that is in direct contraction and violation of the first two Commandments.
  1. You shall have no other gods before Me. ( You are making wealth your master/god)
  2. You shall make no idols. (you are lifting up wealth above God and seeking after it wholeheartedly)

We are not to horde up wealth as it is suppose to be used for the service of the Kingdom (helping others). By us having a relationship with God, we will not put all our trust in money but in God. We cannot live apart from God and seek after wealth. We will be incomplete and always have a void.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The natural mind cannot understand, comprehend, or interpret the things of the Spirit as they are spiritually discerned. 1 Cor 2:14, Romans 8:5

In Matthew 6:24 Jesus is telling us that we cannot seek solely after wealth/money because we would be putting that first before Him making it a god/master. You cannot serve wealth and love God. Serving wealth means putting all your time and energy to accumulate as much money as you can and not spending any time developing your relationship with God. God has to be first and the most important thing in our lives.

The craving for wealth and possessions can lead us into all kinds of temptation. While we spend evenings and weekends earning extra money, we are depriving our families of our love and attention. We may take unfair advantage of our customers, employers, or employees. We may attempt to rationalize our greed by closing our minds and hearts to the needs and rights of others. In the process, we could end up being stingy, bitter and isolated.

The two contradict each other. Wealth=Flesh/World, God=Spirit/Kingdom. 1 John 2:16 Not only are you making it a god (wealth) when your not serving God, but also it becomes an idol as you are lifting it up above the Creator.

So that is in direct contraction and violation of the first two Commandments.
  1. You shall have no other gods before Me. ( You are making wealth your master/god)
  2. You shall make no idols. (you are lifting up wealth above God and seeking after it wholeheartedly)

We are not to horde up wealth as it is suppose to be used for the service of the Kingdom (helping others). By us having a relationship with God, we will not put all our trust in money but in God. We cannot live apart from God and seek after wealth. We will be incomplete and always have a void.

Hope this helps.

Not sure how any of that applies to the topic or the OP

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
In Matt 24, Jesus does mention the sabbath to the Jews in Matt 24
[Was pretty heartbreaking to read about that event of 70ad by Josephus........]

https://www.christianforums.com/thr...a-sabbath-or-in-winter.8076025/#post-73020828

Matthew 24:
19 But woe unto them that are with child and to them that give suck in those days!
20 And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on a sabbath:

21 for then shall be great tribulation, such as hath not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, nor ever shall be.

http://www.bible.ca/pre-destruction70AD-george-holford-1805AD.htm

Meanwhile the horrors of famine grew still more melancholy and afflictive.
The Jews, for want of food were at length compelled to eat their belts, their sandals, the skins of their shields, dried grass, and even the ordure of oxen. In the depth or this horrible extremity, a Jewess of noble family urged by the intolerable cravings of hunger, slew her infant child, and prepared it for a meal ;........

Jeremiah 19:9
And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one the flesh of his friend in the siege
and straitness, wherewith their enemies, and they that seek their lives, shall straiten them

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Law and the Prophets are what we erroneously call the “Old Testament” in modern times

“Don’t think that I came to destroy the Old Testament” is what he is saying

The Law & the Prophets are what the New Covenant writings are based on... you can’t have a new covenant without the Law & Prophets

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I often see comments on the forum from those who quote Matthew 5:17 as a confirmation that "the law" has not been abolished. Somehow they fail to see that the verse says, "the Law or the Prophets", not "the law".

Matthew 5:17
“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets;
I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My primary aim here is to show that these terms are in reference to the books, not to the law itself. The thrust in most cases is the prophetic aspect, not dealing with the law itself. (that God gave to the Israelites alone)

What is the significance of the terms "the Law and the Prophets"?

The terms "the Law and the Prophets", are in reference to the books of the Law and the books of the Prophets. The NIV translation helps us most of the time by capitalizing "Law" and "Prophets" to show us that they are book titles.

Notice the use of capitalization and non-capitalization in this verse.

Romans 3:21
But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known,
to which the Law and the Prophets testify.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a reference to "the law" (non-capitalized) and to "the Law and the Prophets" (capitalized). So we can gather that this is speaking about "the law" itself and also about the books of the Law and the books of the Prophets. Which helps greatly to understand what this verse is saying.

But now apart from the law (that God gave to the Israelites alone) the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the books of the Law and the books of the Prophets testify.

These examples are not isolated. A Bible search for the words "law prophets" brings up these other references. Notice how they confirm the idea that these are in reference to the books of the Law and the books of the Prophets (and the book of Psalms). In fact, the first example is Jesus' explanation of Matt.5:17.
Luke 24:44
He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.”

John 1:45
Philip found Nathanael and told him, “We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”

Acts 13:15
After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the leaders of the synagogue sent word to them, saying, “Brothers, if you have a word of exhortation for the people, please speak.”

Acts 24:14
However, I admit that I worship the God of our ancestors as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets,

Acts 28:23
They arranged to meet Paul on a certain day, and came in even larger numbers to the place where he was staying. He witnessed to them from morning till evening, explaining about the kingdom of God, and from the Law of Moses and from the Prophets he tried to persuade them about Jesus.
Matthew 7:12
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Matthew 11:13
For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John.

Matthew 22:40
All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Luke 16:16
“The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it.
We are studying Galatians and I realized the law being spoken of is the religious law they performed to be forgiven of sin. That is gone. The moral law is not gone and we must obey that or we are lawless in God’s eyes.

• Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are studying Galatians and I realized the law being spoken of is the religious law they performed to be forgiven of sin. That is gone. The moral law is not gone and we must obey that or we are lawless in God’s eyes.
How is it that "obeying" the moral law is not "religious"?

Galatians 5:18
But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How is it that "obeying" the moral law is not "religious"?

Galatians 5:18
But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
Not stealing other peoples stuff is not considered a religious duty. Atheists recognize this as a moral duty with no religion attached.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not stealing other peoples stuff is not considered a religious duty. Atheists recognize this as a moral duty with no religion attached.
So, you think the Apostle Paul is promoting adherence to secular civil code over observing "God's law" in the book of Galatians?

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Which law is being spoken of in Galatians?

For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: ‘Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.’11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because ‘the righteous will live by faith Galatians3:10&11

A Hebrew of Hebrews in regard to the law, a Pharisee, as for zeal prersecuting the church, as for legalistic righteousness, faultless Phil3:6

Saul the Pharisee could not obey the moral law(romans chapter 7), he could obey the rest of the law. Therefore Galatians 3:10&11 has to refer to the entire law, with the moral law in mind. Galatians is primarily concerned with seeking justification of obeying the law. So it cannot refer solely to non moral law, for that law could be perfectly obeyed

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, you think the Apostle Paul is promoting adherence to secular civil code over observing "God's law" in the book of Galatians?
Where do you think just secular laws come from?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Which law is being spoken of in Galatians?

For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: ‘Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.’11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because ‘the righteous will live by faith Galatians3:10&11

A Hebrew of Hebrews in regard to the law, a Pharisee, as for zeal prersecuting the church, as for legalistic righteousness, faultless Phil3:6

Saul the Pharisee could not obey the moral law(romans chapter 7), he could obey the rest of the law. Therefore Galatians 3:10&11 has to refer to the entire law, with the moral law in mind. Galatians is primarily concerned with seeking justification of obeying the law. So it cannot refer solely to non moral law, for that law could be perfectly obeyed
We are never free of the law to love God and love man. never

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where do you think just secular laws come from?
Yes. I agree that is where our civil laws came from. And that's good.

However, you are greatly misunderstanding the book of Galatians. What does the Apostle say about the works of the law?

Galatians 2:15-16
“We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles 16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

Reactions: daydreamer40
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say anything about being free of the law to love, only what Galatians concerns regarding which law is being written about.
Galatians refers solely to Jewish religious law.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I agree that is where our civil laws came from. And that's good.

However, you are greatly misunderstanding the book of Galatians. What does the Apostle say about the works of the law?

Galatians 2:15-16
“We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles 16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.
Which law do you think he means? The religious law if Judisam. If a man perfectly loved God and man his whole life but never kept the jewish law, he’d be righteous before God. The jewish law was to provide a way to forgiveness from breaking the moral law.

Upvote 0