The significance of the terms "the Law and the Prophets".

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So your conclusion is that Paul was freed from thou shalt not covet and let himself covet all he wants? If not, what is your conclusion?
The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:

16 ‘This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.’b]'>[b]

17 Then he adds:

‘Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.
Heb 10:15-17

The new covenant stands on two core facts, not one. The law God desires you to follow is written in your mind and placed on your heart. You in your mind must know what is in your mind, and the law in your heart means, you in your heart want to obey it/live as God wants you to ;live. That would include the commandment not to covet.

The power of sin is the law(1Cor15:56)
What is it about the law that gives sin its power? It is that sin has the power to condemn you to hell through the law. Therefore God did an amazing thing. He transferred the law he wants you to follow from tablets of stone to tablets of human hearts(2cor3:3) Therefore in your heart you want to live as God desires you to live Because, and only because this has happened, your sins and lawless deeds will be remembered no more. No justification of obeying the law.

The born again Christians heartfelt desire to obey(for that is where the law has been placed) can now come to fruition. For what opposes obedience(sin) was dealt a crushing blow by Christ dying to remove its true power from your life(righteousness of observing the law. So Paul states:
Do we then nullify the law by this faith(a righteousness of faith in Christ not obeying the law) Not at all! Rather we uphold the law Rom3:31

For sin shall no longer be your master, for you are not under law(of righteousness) but under grace Rom6:14

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:

16 ‘This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.’b]'>[b]

17 Then he adds:

‘Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more.
Heb 10:15-17

The new covenant stands on two core facts, not one. The law God desires you to follow is written in your mind and placed on your heart. You in your mind must know what is in your mind, and the law in your heart means, you in your heart want to obey it/live as God wants you to ;live. That would include the commandment not to covet.

The power of sin is the law(1Cor15:56)
What is it about the law that gives sin its power? It is that sin has the power to condemn you to hell through the law. Therefore God did an amazing thing. He transferred the law he wants you to follow from tablets of stone to tablets of human hearts(2cor3:3) Therefore in your heart you want to live as God desires you to live Because, and only because this has happened, your sins and lawless deeds will be remembered no more. No justification of obeying the law.

The born again Christians heartfelt desire to obey(for that is where the law has been placed) can now come to fruition. For what opposes obedience(sin) was dealt a crushing blow by Christ dying to remove its true power from your life(righteousness of observing the law. So Paul states:
Do we then nullify the law by this faith(a righteousness of faith in Christ not obeying the law) Not at all! Rather we uphold the law Rom3:31

For sin shall no longer be your master, for you are not under law(of righteousness) but under grace Rom6:14
Why are you afraid to answer the direct question put to you but instead give me something you heard from some preacher?

Do you think the law to love God with all your heart and soul and mind and strength and love your neighbor as yourself binding upon your behaviour or not?

It seems to me that you shift the weight of making those choices to God who has to write it on your heart so that it is not difficult or painful to do but your want to do so and until that day, you do not have to reign in any desire your heart has. I do not know you and cannot see if this is the case but you certainly refuse to admit that you have to love God and love man whether you feel like it at the moment or not.

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You did not answer my question. Are you freed from the law to love God with all your heart and soul and mind and strenght and love others as you love yourself? Or do you think God does not remember all the times you sin against God and man and ignore that law so you are completely free to continue ignoring it as much as pleases you? Sounds like this is your position. Please clarify.

You are free from no law written in your mind and placed on your heart. You cannot be in ignorance of that law, and your conscience must be seered when you wilfully transgress it. You in your heart want to obey it, for that is where the law has been placed, in your heart.
As a wonderful brother said to me:

If the law is in your heart and mind, how can you convince yourself you fully obey it? A very good question in my view

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Why are you afraid to answer the direct question put to you but instead give me something you heard from some preacher?

Do you think the law to love God with all your heart and soul and mind and strength and love your neighbor as yourself binding upon your behaviour or not?

How many times must I answer your question? Any law placed in your heart and mind is law you are not free from, you in your heart want to obey it, for that is where the law has been placed.
It is not me getting my views from some preacher as you put it. Your views have come from discussions at your church. Ye

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You are free from no law written in your mind and placed on your heart. You cannot be in ignorance of that law, and your conscience must be seered when you wilfully transgress it. You in your heart want to obey it, for that is where the law has been placed, in your heart.
As a wonderful brother said to me:

If the law is in your heart and mind, how can you convince yourself you fully obey it? A very good question in my view
You need to screw up your courage and answer the question I put to you. Do you need to love God with all your being and love your neighbor as yourself or not?

Or are you waiting for the day where God has written this into your heart 24/7 and until then, you let your heart do whatever it desires whenever it desires it? If your heart feels like loving those mentioned above, fine. If it does not today, well, too bad for them because you are freed from any law except those you feel like at the moment...opps, phrased as "his law written on your heart."

Those frankly speaking, are the choices.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How many times must I answer your question? Any law placed in your heart and mind is law you are not free from, you in your heart want to obey it, for that is where the law has been placed.
It is not me getting my views from some preacher as you put it. Your views have come from discussions at your church. Ye
That is not the answer. Are you personally freed from the law to love God and man whether you feel like it today or not? Do not give me a preachers dodging answer. The answer has to include the word "I" not any old person.

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You need to screw up your courage and answer the question I put to you. Do you need to love God with all your being and love your neighbor as yourself or not?

Or are you waiting for the day where God has written this into your heart 24/7 and until then, you let your heart do whatever it desires whenever it desires it? If your heart feels like loving those mentioned above, fine. If it does not today, well, too bad for them because you are freed from any law except those you feel like at the moment...opps, phrased as "his law written on your heart."

Those frankly speaking, are the choices.
Christians need to love God with all their hearts
They need to love their neighbour as themselves
They need to love their enemies, those who are unkind to them or mistreat them
Christians should leap for joy if they are persecuted.
Christians should have no impure thoughts for that breaks the commandment you mentioned not to covet
Christians should tell no one if they fast
If someone stole something from a Christian they should give them more besides what they stole with nothing but love in their heart for tyhem
Christians should not get angry, without good cause
Christians should not have unkind thoughts about others, for that is not loving them
Christians should not invite friends or family home for a meal, but rather the poor, blind, lame and beggars so they may receive their reward in heaven
Etc

I wonder how many Christians in your church obey all of those commands?

• Useful
Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That is not the answer. Are you personally freed from the law to love God and man whether you feel like it today or not? Do not give me a preachers dodging answer. The answer has to include the word "I" not any old person.
You really do not understand the new covenant do you. I am not free from any law written in my mind and placed on my heart.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What you are not understanding is the that the heart of all of us is very much moved by how we feel at the moment. This is why two people bind themselves to stay married legally. Makes it harder to leave and that is what they CHOOSE to do knowing their own weaknesses. No one who gets married thinks that the wedding will write "I love my spouse" on their heart such that they never have to CHOOSE to love their spouse today again.

The law to love God and man is binding on a Christian whether it is written on their hearts such that they want to do so today or not. If you think you are changed such that you always love God and man 100% of the time, ask those who live you if this is the case. If not, you need to make yourself do so whether it is written on your heart YET or not.

And actually, making yourself do so is the way God writes it on the heart. Paul wrote we need to WORK out our salvation with fear and trembling. It does not happen while we sleep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christians should have no impure thoughts for that breaks the commandment you mentioned not to covet
If someone stole something from a Christian they should give them more besides what they stole with nothing but love in their heart for tyhem
Christians should not have unkind thoughts about others, for that is not loving them
Christians should not invite friends or family home for a meal, but rather the poor, blind, lame and beggars so they may receive their reward in heaven
Etc

I wonder how many Christians in your church obey all of those commands?
There must be something in you preventing you from admitting that you personally are required to love God with all your being and love your neighbor as yourself. You absolutely refuse to admit you have to do this. It is rather curious. You freely say others or Christians have to, but you refuse to say that you do.

Do you know that you are doing this?

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The law to love God and man is binding on a Christian whether it is written on their hearts such that they want to do so today or not. .

Is all of the following not binding on a Christian?

Etc

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There must be something in you preventing you from admitting that you personally are required to love God with all your being and love your neighbor as yourself. You absolutely refuse to admit you have to do this. It is rather curious. You freely say others or Christians have to, but you refuse to say that you do.

I have answered your question many times. I do not faultlessly obey all of the law placed within me, as neither do you, for we are both imperfect in the flesh. So as you are not sinless, are you condemned as you are required to love God and your neighbour?

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You really do not understand the new covenant do you. I am not free from any law written in my mind and placed on my heart.
So until God writes it on your heart, you are free to behave as you choose. No external command from God is binding on your behaviour at all. It is up to God to change your heart such that you want to do His will from the heart without any struggle with the flesh to do so. Too bad. When we struggle with the flesh choosing to do His will, his law is then at that moment written on our hearts. You will be waiting a long time if you refuse to say "no" to your heart at times.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now I know why you refuse to admit that the command to love God with all your being and love others is binding on your behaviour. You want the freedom to always do as your heart wants to do with no restraint. If you admit with your mouth that the law to love God is binding on you whether your heart feels like it at the moment or not (happens to all of us) then these words will come back to haunt you. Better make them vague and not apply to you in particular. That way you can continue to do just as your heart feels like it all day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
[QUOTE="Dorothy Mae, post: 73180390, member: 409954"]So until God writes it on your heart, you are free to behave as you choose. No external command from God is binding on your behaviour at all. It is up to God to change your heart such that you want to do His will from the heart without any struggle with the flesh to do so. Too bad. When we struggle with the flesh choosing to do His will, his law is then at that moment written on our hearts. You will be waiting a long time if you refuse to say "no" to your heart at times.[/QUOTE]

God writes the law in your mind and places it on your heart he desires you to follow the moment you accept Christ as your saviour. Your above post(along with others) shows tyou fail to understand the foundation upon which the new covenant stands

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Now I know why you refuse to admit that the command to love God with all your being and love others is binding on your behaviour. You want the freedom to always do as your heart wants to do with no restraint. If you admit with your mouth that the law to love God is binding on you whether your heart feels like it at the moment or not (happens to all of us) then these words will come back to haunt you. Better make them vague and not apply to you in particular. That way you can continue to do just as your heart feels like it all day.
If you perfectly loved God and your neighbour, you would never commit any sin, for: Love fulfils the law. the difference between us is, I admit my shortcomings. You repeatedly ignore the biblical commands I placed before you. I can think of only one reason you would do that. You must water down what it truly means to love God and your neighbour. For you refuse to say if they are all binding on Christians

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

What is preventing you from stating whether the following are all binding? I am only quoting the bible, Jesus commands. Are Jesus commands not binding on you? If not why not? They are all examples of love God and love your fellow man. Are you exempt from this?

Etc

Upvote 0

daydreamer40

Sep 15, 2018
inverness
✟17,968.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Some who go to church put on their ''Sunday best'' for the meeting. As soon as they get there, an act is put on, they pretend to be someone they are not, fearing others at the church would reject them if they understood the real them beneath the skin. They may see someone in the church whos breath smells of stale smoke. They are critical of the person, believing they are far more entitled to enter heaven as they do not smoke. They may see someone not dressed so well as them, negative thoughts overtake them. However, they will still stress you must love God and your neighbour. There might be coffee mornings, or church meetings during the week, the act is put on again. They are not free to be themselves. These people believe in righteousness of observing the law, but deep in their hearts they know they so often fail. So it is easier to look at the speck in someone elses eye than face the plank in their own.
The law of God is dumbed down from the pristine level it is set at, to a place such people believe they are entitled to enter heaven(or worthy enough) by the way they live their lives. Loving God and your neighbour is the main casualty in all of this, however, few would see it

• Agree
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some who go to church put on their ''Sunday best'' for the meeting. As soon as they get there, an act is put on, they pretend to be someone they are not, fearing others at the church would reject them if they understood the real them beneath the skin. They may see someone in the church whos breath smells of stale smoke. They are critical of the person, believing they are far more entitled to enter heaven as they do not smoke. They may see someone not dressed so well as them, negative thoughts overtake them. However, they will still stress you must love God and your neighbour. There might be coffee mornings, or church meetings during the week, the act is put on again. They are not free to be themselves. These people believe in righteousness of observing the law, but deep in their hearts they know they so often fail. So it is easier to look at the speck in someone elses eye than face the plank in their own.
The law of God is dumbed down from the pristine level it is set at, to a place such people believe they are entitled to enter heaven(or worthy enough) by the way they live their lives. Loving God and your neighbour is the main casualty in all of this, however, few would see it
So you insist the law to love God is the source of evil. So this is the excuse you give yourself so you do not have to love God or man unless you happen to feel like at the time. As I said, you want to be free to do as your own heart feels at the moment.

Upvote 0