Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. NKJV

Jesus did not come to destroy the law; He came to fulfill the law and prophets.

Ephesians 2:14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. NKJV

By His fulfilling the law and prophets (perfect adherence), He abolished the law that put enmity between Jew and Gentile. The law also put enmity between God and man.

1 Corinthians 15:56 The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. NKJV

Sin has lost its strength to produce death in all men. Before Jesus came there was no other choice for mankind but to die in sin because all men are sinners. God had a plan to end sin and those who believed He would end their sin were separated from those who did not believe. Everyone, before Jesus came, died in sin.

Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh NKJV.

Once Jesus succeeded in overcoming sin mankind had a choice. He could remain a flesh being and stay in sin.

Ephesians 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory. NKJV

Or he could become a sinless spirit being by believing in the Son of God.

Romans 8:9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. NKJV

If they remained in the Spirit, of Jesus, they would die a sinless spirit son of God.

Romans 7: 25 I thank God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. NKJV

Sons of God choose to serve the law of God. They agree that God's law is correct, good and right.

Romans 8:13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. NKJV

They choose to die, by the Spirit, rather than continue to sin thereby putting to death the sins of the flesh. Or they will choose to help the Spirit put to death the sins of the flesh one/two/multiple at a time.

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 27 For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. NKJV

By denying their fleshly desires they are following Jesus and proving their discipleship. These are sons of God.

Sons of God are judged by Christ when they die. They are judged for rewards not punishment. Do they pay for their sins? No! Jesus paid for the sins of everyone He redeems.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 5:17 "Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. NKJV

Ephesians 2:14 For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation, 15 having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from the two, thus making peace, 16 and that He might reconcile them both to God in one body through the cross, thereby putting to death the enmity. NKJV

By His fulfilling the law and prophets (perfect adherence), He abolished the law that put enmity between Jew and Gentile. The law also put enmity between God and man.

1 Corinthians 15:56 The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. NKJV

Sin has lost its strength to produce death in all men. Before Jesus came there was no other choice for mankind but to die in sin because all men are sinners. God had a plan to end sin and those who believed He would end their sin were separated from those who did not believe. Everyone, before Jesus came, died in sin.

Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh NKJV.

Once Jesus succeeded in overcoming sin mankind had a choice. He could remain a flesh being and stay in sin.

Ephesians 1:13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory. NKJV

Romans 8:9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. NKJV

If they remained in the Spirit, of Jesus, they would die a sinless spirit son of God.

Romans 7: 25 I thank God — through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. NKJV

Sons of God choose to serve the law of God. They agree that God's law is correct, good and right.

Romans 8:13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. NKJV

They choose to die, by the Spirit, rather than continue to sin thereby putting to death the sins of the flesh. Or they will choose to help the Spirit put to death the sins of the flesh one/two/multiple at a time.

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. 26 For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 27 For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works. NKJV

By denying their fleshly desires they are following Jesus and proving their discipleship. These are sons of God.

Sons of God are judged by Christ when they die. They are judged for rewards not punishment. Do they pay for their sins? No! Jesus paid for the sins of everyone He redeems.
Hey there,

You might want to consider looking at the whole passages, because a different picture will emerge if we do that. Right now, you have Jesus contradicting Himself in Mat 5:17 with the rest of the passage Mat 5:18-30 and in other places like Mat 7:21-23, Mat 15:3-14, Mat 19:17-19 John 14:15, Mark 7:7-13 etc.

Let's look at Mat 5:17 a bit closer and the scriptures surrounding it.

Matthew 5:17Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

This is a prophecy fulfilled Isaiah 42:21 but fulfilled in Matthew 5:17 cannot mean the same as come to destroy i.e. your interpretation to end as it does not reconcile with the next few verses, nor does it reconcile with the rest of Jesus teachings. Jesus did not give the law for Him so He could keep, and we can profane. HE is our example to follow and He led by example 1 John 2:6 Hebrews 4:15 John 15:10 He is not teaching that because He kept the law (fulfilled) we can now worship other gods, bow to idols, vain His holy name, profane His holy Sabbath day, covet, steal and break any of the least of these commandments as Jesus demonstrates in Mat 5:19-30 and not the example of what the apostles taught or kept long after the Cross. 1 Cor 7:19

If Jesus came to fulfill the law or prophets ( i.e. end ) than we can just ignore chapters written by the Prophet Isaiah Ezekiel and Jeremiah to name a few and ignore 2 Timothy 3:16 because not everything these Prophets prophesized has been fulfilled so therefore the next verse still applies...

Matthew 5:18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

So does that mean we can covet, vain God's holy name, worship other gods, break His holy Sabbath day, not if we are to believe Jesus and His teachings- not one jot or one tittle will by NO MEANS pass from the law. Jesus has not come yet, nor have many of the prophecy's in the law and prophets been fulfilled yet so not one change can be made to God's law.

Therefore:

Matthew 5:19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So until every Prophecy in scripture has been fulfilled, which means until Jesus comes in the Clouds and His saints meet Him in the air and He destroys all sin and sinners and He makes a New Heaven and New Earth, not all is fulfilled, therefor Mat 5:19 applies which reconciles with the rest of scripture. Rev 14:12 Rev 22:14

Regarding Paul's teachings in Romans 8- you left out what it means when we are not walking in His Spirit which is found in Rom 8:7-8

Something hopefully you will consider.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

They are judged for rewards not punishment.

All are judge by the law ... the difference is those in Christ will be fully pardoned by Him ... the reward is eternal life.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,344.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All are judge by the law ... the difference is those in Christ will be fully pardoned by Him ... the reward is eternal life.
By the law of Christ.

The Mosaic Law, the one Jesus fulfilled, was only till Christ, though:

"Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law...
So the law was our guardian until Christ came...
Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian."

Gal 3:23-25

Nobody will be judged by that.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

to fulfil, i.e. to cause God's will (as made known in the law) to be obeyed as it should be, and God's promises (given through the prophets) to receive fulfilment (NAS Greek Lexicon: pleroo)

It is not clear to me how you can go from quoting Jesus as saying that he came not to abolish the law to saying that he came to abolish it to speak against committing sin in transgression of it. All of God’s righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:160), which is why Jesus did not come to abolish the least part of the law.

According to Galatians 5:14, anyone who has ever loved their neighbor had fulfilled the entire law, so it refers to something that countless people have done, not to perfect adherence, and again it refers to obeying it as I should be, not to abolishing it. God did not give His law for the purpose of creating a dividing wall of hostility, but for the purpose of teaching us how to love God and our neighbor. The Bible never uses the Greek word “dogma” to refer to the Law of God, so Ephesians 2:15 shouldn’t be interpreted as referring to abolishing the Law of God, but rather what was being abolished was what was hindering us from obeying it. In Ephesians 2:12-19, it is speaking about Gentiles becoming joined to Israel, the covenants of promise, and to God in accordance with becoming obedient to the Law of God, not about Gentiles becoming separated from those things in accordance with the Law of God being abolished.

A law that is the strength of sin is a law that is sinful, however, Romans 7:7 says that the Law of God is not sinful, but is how we know what sin is. Rather, it is the law of sin that is the strength of sin. In Romans 7:25, Paul contrasted the Law of God with the law of sin.

The position that the Law of God has been abolished is the position that we are free to do what it revealed to be sin, which is the opposite of Jesus freeing us from sin. In Romans 8:4-7, Paul contrasted those who walk in the Spirit with those who have minds set on the flesh who are enemies of God who refuse to submit to the Law of God.

In 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked, so verses that refer to those who are in Christ are only referring to those who are walking in obedience to the Law of God.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
By the law of Christ.

The Mosaic Law, the one Jesus fulfilled, was only till Christ, though:

"Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law...
So the law was our guardian until Christ came...
Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian."

Gal 3:23-25

Nobody will be judged by that.
Christ spent his ministry teaching his followers how to fulfill the Mosaic Law by word and by example, so I see no reason to think that the Law of Christ is something other than or contrary to what Christ taught. Christ did not go around with the message to stop repenting because we are now free to partake in what the Mosaic Law reveals to be sin, but rather he began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God us at hand.

Reactions: JulieB67
Upvote 0

fli

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟344,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey there,

You might want to consider looking at the whole passages, because a different picture will emerge if we do that. Right now, you have Jesus contradicting Himself in Mat 5:17 with the rest of the passage Mat 5:18-30 and in other places like Mat 7:21-23, Mat 15:3-14, Mat 19:17-19 John 14:15, Mark 7:7-13 etc.

Let's look at Mat 5:17 a bit closer and the scriptures surrounding it.

Matthew 5:17Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

This is a prophecy fulfilled Isaiah 42:21 but fulfilled in Matthew 5:17 cannot mean the same as come to destroy i.e. your interpretation to end as it does not reconcile with the next few verses, nor does it reconcile with the rest of Jesus teachings. Jesus did not give the law for Him so He could keep, and we can profane. HE is our example to follow and He led by example 1 John 2:6 Hebrews 4:15 John 15:10 He is not teaching that because He kept the law (fulfilled) we can now worship other gods, bow to idols, vain His holy name, profane His holy Sabbath day, covet, steal and break any of the least of these commandments as Jesus demonstrates in Mat 5:19-30 and not the example of what the apostles taught or kept long after the Cross. 1 Cor 7:19

If Jesus came to fulfill the law or prophets ( i.e. end ) than we can just ignore chapters written by the Prophet Isaiah Ezekiel and Jeremiah to name a few and ignore 2 Timothy 3:16 because not everything these Prophets prophesized has been fulfilled so therefore the next verse still applies...

Matthew 5:18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

So does that mean we can covet, vain God's holy name, worship other gods, break His holy Sabbath day, not if we are to believe Jesus and His teachings- not one jot or one tittle will by NO MEANS pass from the law. Jesus has not come yet, nor have many of the prophecy's in the law and prophets been fulfilled yet so not one change can be made to God's law.

Therefore:

Matthew 5:19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So until every Prophecy in scripture has been fulfilled, which means until Jesus comes in the Clouds and His saints meet Him in the air and He destroys all sin and sinners and He makes a New Heaven and New Earth, not all is fulfilled, therefor Mat 5:19 applies which reconciles with the rest of scripture. Rev 14:12 Rev 22:14

Regarding Paul's teachings in Romans 8- you left out what it means when we are not walking in His Spirit which is found in Rom 8:7-8

Something hopefully you will consider.

To all who replied thank you. I do not know how to do multiple quotes so I will make this a general reply.

SabbathBlessings;

Jesus fulfilled the law entirely and perfectly. He fulfilled all the prophecies concerning His first coming. Therefore, SabbathBlessings you are right, and I was wrong. Jesus did not fulfill all the prophecies in the bible.

Thank you Myst33 for your post. I will cite it hear for all to read.

Galatians 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. NKJV

We are no longer under the law.

Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace. NKJV

We are under grace not under the law.

Romans 4:14 For if those who are of the law are heirs, faith is made void and the promise made of no effect, 15 because the law brings about wrath; for where there is no law there is no transgression. NKJV

If there is no law, there is no transgression.

Romans 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. NKJV

Two places Paul says if there is no law there is no transgression. If we are not under the law, we cannot sin. We will not be judged by the law.

John 16:8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged. NKJV

John 16:8 is the law everyone will be judged by. If anyone does not believe in Jesus, they are in sin.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
To all who replied thank you. I do not know how to do multiple quotes so I will make this a general reply.

SabbathBlessings;

Jesus fulfilled the law entirely and perfectly. He fulfilled all the prophecies concerning His first coming. Therefore, SabbathBlessings you are right, and I was wrong. Jesus did not fulfill all the prophecies in the bible.

Galatians 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. NKJV

Romans 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace. NKJV

Romans 4:14 For if those who are of the law are heirs, faith is made void and the promise made of no effect, 15 because the law brings about wrath; for where there is no law there is no transgression. NKJV

Romans 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. NKJV

Two places Paul says if there is no law there is no transgression. If we are not under the law, we cannot sin. We will not be judged by the law.

John 16:8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged. NKJV

John 16:8 is the law everyone will be judged by. If anyone does not believe in Jesus, they are in sin.
Hi there!

If you agree with me I would recommend prayerfully reading Matthew 5:18-30 as well as other teachings of Jesus like Mat 15:3-14, Mark 7:7-13, Mat 7:21-23, Mat 19:17-19 etc.

So even though you say you agree, you are coming up with the same conclusion, that we can break the least of these commandments despite Jesus clearly saying not something as small as a dot of an i or cross of a t can pass from His law. We are not to break the least of these commandments as it affects our status in heaven and the commandments Jesus is quoting from is the Ten Commandments. Mat 5:18-30

While we are living in grace because all has sinned, but grace is not a license to sin, Paul made this clear.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?

Sin is breaking Gods law 1 John 3:4 and the law Paul quotes from is the Ten Commandments Romans 7:7 breaking one break them all James 2:10-12

Gal 3:23 is not referring to the Ten Commandments. The law that defines sin the Ten Commandments can not be the same law that was given because of sin Gal 3:19. Just common sense should tells us if we have faith in Jesus we would have faith to do the things He taught and lived for our example. 1 John 2:6 Jesus never broke the commandments or taught we can, but the opposite to not break the least of them. We are told to live by His every Word Mat 4:4

Also, regarding there is no law, so no sin, that is a dangerous teaching. Sin is the transgression of the law 1 John 3:4 if there was no law, there is no transgression Romans 4:15 therefore, we are immortal because the penalty for breaking God’s law is death Rom 6:23- scripture says only God is immortal so this is a false doctrine.1 Tim 6:16. This is the same lie satan told Eve in the Garden, you can disobey God and live, when God said the opposite Gen 2:17. If there was no law, then we do not need grace, if we do not need grace than we do not need Jesus, if we do not need Jesus then we are all lost.

We will be judged by the law according to scripture James 2:10-12 Ecc 12:13-14, Mat 5:19-30 Mat 7:23 Rev 22:14-15. Through our love to Jesus we WANT to keep His commandments. 1 John 5:3 John 14:15 Exo 20:6 and follow the path He left for us John 15:10 1 Peter 2:21-23, Heb 4:15 1 John 2:6.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Use quote tags around the block of text you want to quote, such as:

[q uote=Soyeong]
Hello world!
[/q uote]

But without the space after the q.

SabbathBlessings;

Someone who disregarded everything that their tutor taught them after they mastered their lessons would be missing the whole point of a tutor. In Matthew 7:23, Jesus said that he would tell those who are workers of lawlessness to depart from him because he never knew them, so the law leads us to Christ because its goal is to teach us how to know him, but it does not lead us to Christ so that we can then be free to do all of the things that God revealed to be sin through it.

In Galatians 3:16-19, a new covenant does not nullify the promise of a covenant that has already been ratified, so it is also true that the New Covenant does not nullify our need to obey God's law in connection with the promise, but rather the New Covenant still involves following God's law (Jeremiah 31:33). In Galatians 3:26-29, every aspect of being children of God, in Christ, through faith, and being children of Abraham and heirs to the promise is all directly connected with living in obedience to God's law. In 1 John 3:4-10, those who do not practice righteousness in obedience to God's law are not children of God, in Matthew 23:23, Jesus said that faith is one of the weightier matters of God's law, in 1 John 2:6, those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked, and in John 8:39, Jesus said that if they were children of Abraham, then they would be doing the same works as him.

Paul spoke about multiple different categories of law other than the Law of God, such as the law of sin and works of the law, so it should be worth it for us to discern which law Romans 6:14 is referring to rather than act like in makes perfect sense to interpret a servant of God as promoting rebellion against him. For example, in Romans 7:25-8:2, Paul contrasted the Law of God with the law of sin and contrasted the Law of the Spirit with the law of sin and death. In Romans 3:27, Paul contrasted a law of works with a law of faith, and in Romans 3:31 and Galatians 3:10-12, he contrasted a law that our faith upholds with a law that is not of faith.

In God's law teaches us how to do what is holy, righteous, and good, so it is a law where holiness, righteousness, and goodness have dominion over us (Romans 7:12), however, Romans 6:14 describes the law that we are not under as being a law where sin had dominion over us, which does not describe the Law of God, but rather it is the law of sin where sin had dominion over us. Moreover, in Romans 6:15, being under grace does not mean that we are permitted to sin, and in 1 John 3:4, sin is the transgression of the Law of God, so we are still under it. Furthermore, everything else in Romans 6 speaks in favor of obedience to God and against sin.

It is one thing for someone to not have their sins charged against them when they do something without have knowledge that what they were doing is sin, but it is another thing for someone to deliberately rebel against God's law when they have access to it. Sin was in the world before the law was given, so there were no actions that become righteous or unrighteous when the law was given, but rather the law revealed what has always been and will always be the way to do that. It is not as though it was good for people to commit sin before that had been informed that what they were doing was sin.

God is sovereign, so we are all under His eternal law and are obligated to refrain from doing what it reveals to be sin. If the world was not under God's law and had no obligation to refrain from sin, then God would have no grounds by which to judge the world of sin. It is contradictory for someone to trust in God's word made flesh, but to not trust in God's word, but rather obeying God's word is the way to believe in God's word made flesh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

And the Jesus who fulfilled the law and the prophets lives within us.
Our submission is to him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fli

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟344,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi there!

If you agree with me I would recommend prayerfully reading Matthew 5:18-30 as well as other teachings of Jesus like Mat 15:3-14, Mark 7:7-13, Mat 7:21-23, Mat 19:17-19 etc.

So even though you say you agree, you are coming up with the same conclusion, that we can break the least of these commandments despite Jesus clearly saying not something as small as a dot of an i or cross of a t can pass from His law. We are not to break the least of these commandments as it affects our status in heaven and the commandments Jesus is quoting from is the Ten Commandments. Mat 5:18-30

While we are living in grace because all has sinned, but grace is not a license to sin, Paul made this clear.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?

Sin is breaking Gods law 1 John 3:4 and the law Paul quotes from is the Ten Commandments Romans 7:7 breaking one break them all James 2:10-12

Gal 3:23 is not referring to the Ten Commandments. The law that defines sin the Ten Commandments can not be the same law that was given because of sin Gal 3:19. Just common sense should tells us if we have faith in Jesus we would have faith to do the things He taught and lived for our example. 1 John 2:6 Jesus never broke the commandments or taught we can, but the opposite to not break the least of them. We are told to live by His every Word Mat 4:4

Also, regarding there is no law, so no sin, that is a dangerous teaching. Sin is the transgression of the law 1 John 3:4 if there was no law, there is no transgression Romans 4:15 therefore, we are immortal because the penalty for breaking God’s law is death Rom 6:23- scripture says only God is immortal so this is a false doctrine.1 Tim 6:16. This is the same lie satan told Eve in the Garden, you can disobey God and live, when God said the opposite Gen 2:17. If there was no law, then we do not need grace, if we do not need grace than we do not need Jesus, if we do not need Jesus then we are all lost.

We will be judged by the law according to scripture James 2:10-12 Ecc 12:13-14, Mat 5:19-30 Mat 7:23 Rev 22:14-15. Through our love to Jesus we WANT to keep His commandments. 1 John 5:3 John 14:15 Exo 20:6 and follow the path He left for us John 15:10 1 Peter 2:21-23, Heb 4:15 1 John 2:6.

I do not teach people to break the law.

1 Corinthians 3:11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. NKJV

Paul taught that one could build on Jesus with good works or bad works. I agree with him. I also agree that there is a price to be paid if one builds with bad works.

You are correct. God did not get rid of the law. After considerable research this seems to be the best way to describe what Jesus did on the cross.

Colossians 2:12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. NKJV

God took it out of the way. God has made a new covenant with Israel.

Jeremiah 31:31 "Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah — ….......33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. NKJV

Does that mean we are still under the law?

1 Corinthians 2:15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16 For "who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ. NKJV

We have the mind of Jesus.

2 Corinthians 3:2 You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; 3 clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart. NKJV

Are we under the law? No! God has given us a new heart. Jesus is our Lord and has taken up residence in our heart. The law was a tutor. When we have the Real Deal in our mind and heart, we no longer need a tutor. So, what is the advantage for us?

Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. NKJV

Because Jesus suffered temptation in the flesh He can sympathize with our weaknesses. He has compassion on us and grants us grace and mercy. If we were under the law there would be no grace and mercy. The law pointed us to Jesus, God's grace and mercy. It could not give grace and mercy.

Romans 9:15 For He says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion." NKJV

Only God can give grace and mercy. But isn't God unjust for granting grace and mercy to those in Jesus and punishing others for sin?

Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. NKJV

God has not punished anyone for sins committed under the law. Those sins committed in the OT He passed over.

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged. NKJV

The sin that condemns is not believing in Jesus.

John 3:18 "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. NKJV

If anyone believes in Jesus, they are not condemned. If they do not believe in Jesus, they are condemned already. As soon as a person dies, they are judged by that standard. Those who believe go to be with the Lord. Unbelievers go to the other place.

Revelation 21:6 And He said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. NKJV

God has offered salvation to everyone freely. Therefore, God is righteous and just. Everyone was offered grace and mercy freely. All they had to do was believe God.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I do not teach people to break the law.

1 Corinthians 3:11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire. NKJV

Paul taught that one could build on Jesus with good works or bad works. I agree with him. I also agree that there is a price to be paid if one builds with bad works.

You are correct. God did not get rid of the law. After considerable research this seems to be the best way to describe what Jesus did on the cross.

Colossians 2:12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. NKJV

God took it out of the way. God has made a new covenant with Israel.

Jeremiah 31:31 "Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah — ….......33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. NKJV

Does that mean we are still under the law?

1 Corinthians 2:15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 16 For "who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ. NKJV

We have the mind of Jesus.

2 Corinthians 3:2 You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; 3 clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart. NKJV

Are we under the law? No! God has given us a new heart. Jesus is our Lord and has taken up residence in our heart. The law was a tutor. When we have the Real Deal in our mind and heart, we no longer need a tutor. So, what is the advantage for us?

Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. NKJV

Because Jesus suffered temptation in the flesh He can sympathize with our weaknesses. He has compassion on us and grants us grace and mercy. If we were under the law there would be no grace and mercy. The law pointed us to Jesus, God's grace and mercy. It could not give grace and mercy.

Romans 9:15 For He says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion." NKJV

Only God can give grace and mercy. But isn't God unjust for granting grace and mercy to those in Jesus and punishing others for sin?

Romans 3:21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. NKJV

God has not punished anyone for sins committed under the law. Those sins committed in the OT He passed over.

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you. 8 And when He has come, He will convict the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 of sin, because they do not believe in Me; 10 of righteousness, because I go to My Father and you see Me no more; 11 of judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged. NKJV

The sin that condemns is not believing in Jesus.

John 3:18 "He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. NKJV

If anyone believes in Jesus, they are not condemned. If they do not believe in Jesus, they are condemned already. As soon as a person dies, they are judged by that standard. Those who believe go to be with the Lord. Unbelievers go to the other place.

Revelation 21:6 And He said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. NKJV

God has offered salvation to everyone freely. Therefore, God is righteous and just. Everyone was offered grace and mercy freely. All they had to do was believe God.

A couple things, you still seem to be selecting a few verses and not allowing the context around those verses to give you their meaning. First, if you believe the teachings of Jesus you should know no scripture says we are free to break God’s Ten Commandments- He clearly said until Heaven and Earth pass not one jot or tittle of the law would pass. Heaven and earth are here therefore we cannot break the least of these commandments. Mat 5:17-3 Trust Jesus! There are no contractions in scriptures, just misunderstandings and why we have a warning about people using Paul’s teachings 2 Peter 3:16 to contradict Jesus. Paul and the apostles were servants of Christ, they were followers of Christ, they never once taught we could break God’s commandments, in fact Paul said it is what matters. 1 Cor 7:19

For example, Col 2:14 is not referring to the Ten Commandments as you clearly posted its referring to the handwriting of ordinances. Not all laws are the same Neh 9:13. The handwritten ordinances handwritten by Moses was placed outside the ark of the covenant as a witness against for breaking God’s law the Ten Commandments that was placed inside the ark of the covenant. Exo 40:20

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

So we know this from Colossians 2:14:
1. They are handwritten
2. They are ordinances
3. They are contrary.

Does this fit the The Ten Commandment in any way?
1. The Ten was finger-written by God (not by hand) Exo 31:18 Exo 32:16
2. The Ten are commandments Exo 20:6 Deut 4:13 Exo 34:28
3. The Ten are not grevious as it shows how we are to love God and our fellow man 1 John 5:2-3

This is what Paul is referring to

Deuteronomy 31:24 So it was, when Moses had completed writing the words of this law in a book, when they were finished, 25 that Moses commanded the Levites, who bore the ark of the covenant of the Lord, saying: 26 “Take this Book of the Law, and put it beside the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, that it may be there as a witness against you;

The book that contained the ordinances were outside the ark- all of the Ten Commandments, which includes the Sabbath commandment are inside the ark.
Colossians 2:17 gives us more insight...

Col 2:17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Lets go to Hebrews 10 as it explains it....

Hebrews10:1 For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. 2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. 3 But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins. 5 Therefore, when He came into the world, He said:

“Sacrifice and offering You did not desire,
But a body You have prepared for Me.
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin
You had no pleasure.
7 Then I said, ‘Behold, I have come—
In the volume of the book it is written of Me—
To do Your will, O God.’ ”
8 Previously saying, “Sacrifice and offering, burnt offerings, and offerings for sin You did not desire, nor had pleasure in them” (which are offered according to the law), 9 then He said, “Behold, I have come to do Your will, [b]O God.” He takes away the first that He may establish the second. 10 By that will we have been [c]sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all

1 Cor 5:7 For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us.

So what changed is how we seek forgiveness of sins. Not the laws that define sin Rom 7:7 and what we will be judged by even in the New Covenant. James 2:10-12 Mat 5:19-30

In the Old Covenant they brought animal sacrifices to the Lord for the forgiveness of sins. This always pointed forward to Christ 1 Cor 5:7 Heb 10:1-25 as He was the placeholder for all the blood sacrifices and He became our ultimate Sacrificial Lamb for the forgiveness of sins. Sin is still the same, breaking God’s law, but through Jesus and His blood we can now go directly to Him who is our High Priest and Advocate when we sin and we do that through repentance which means a change of heart and direction. When Jesus healed He said go and sin no more- so we need His sanctification. God’s Ten just show us our sin Rom 7:7 Rom 3:20 like a mirror so we are not living up to our standard of righteousness, but Christ’s Psa 119:172 Through Jesus we can keep His commandments and not sin but it requires our cooperate John 14:15-18 if we are hostile to God’s law its not a good sin Rom 8:7-8 if Jesus lives in us He gives us His righteousness which means we are living as Jesus did. Did Jesus break or teach we can break the least of the commandments Mat 5:19-30 no He taught the opposite said when we keep our rules over the commandments of God our hearts are far from Him, so therefore He is not residing in us. Mat 15:3-14

We can only obey God’s commandments through Christ and this is what reconciles us.

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

One of the last verses in the Bible before Jesus reveals Himself in the Clouds and His saints meet Him in the air.

Trust the teachings of Jesus- He only leads us on the narrow path back to Him.

Rev 22:14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fli

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟344,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Exodus 20:8 "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. NKJV

So, you're saying only the Seventh Day Adventist have the right doctrine?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Exodus 20:8 "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. NKJV

So, you're saying only the Seventh Day Adventist have the right doctrine?
I'm saying that we should trust the teachings of Jesus - He alone is the one who spoke and wrote the Ten Commandments, not SDA's, we just advocate to believe Him and to live by His every Word. Mat 4:4

God does have a remnant Church and His Church keeps His commandments. Rev 12:17 Rev 14:12 Rev 22:14 the way He wrote them as no one is above the Authority of God.

Upvote 0

fli

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟344,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm saying that we should trust the teachings of Jesus - He alone is the one who spoke and wrote the Ten Commandments, not SDA's, we just advocate to believe Him and to live by His every Word. Mat 4:4

God does have a remnant Church and His Church keeps His commandments. Rev 12:17 Rev 14:12 Rev 22:14 the way He wrote them as no one is above the Authority of God.
So, we can break the 10 and still go to heaven?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So. every Christian not worshiping on the sabbath has to now repent of it.
God placed the Sabbath commandment in the same unit as only worshipping Him, not taking His name in vain, coveting, murder etc. and Jesus in His own Words said not to break the least of theses. The one commandment God said Remember, is holy and blessed by God and reveals the Authority of God's law and all of heaven and earth, I can't imagine that being a least commandment, but even if one thinks it is Jesus said not to break the least of these as it affects our status in heaven Mat 5:19-30. God just wants to spend holy time with His children- He gives us 6 days to get all our works and labors done Exo 20:9 and only asks for one full day dedicated to Him Exo 20:10, so He can bless and sanctify us Isa 58:13-14 Isa 56:1-6 Eze 20:12 because we can't sanctify ourselves and its the sign He gives us that we are worshipping the one True God of heaven and earth. Eze 20:20 Exo 20:11. I'm not sure why anyone would not want to keep the Sabbath. Jesus did Luke 4:16, the apostles did Acts 18:4 Acts 13:42-44 we are made in the image of God to follow Him. God hallowed the Sabbath at Creation made for mankind. Mark 2:27

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fli

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2005
missouri
✟344,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
James 2:8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well; 9 but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For He who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. NKJV

James clearly states that “love your neighbor as yourself “is a violation of the law. If we do not love our neighbor, we are breaking the 10 commandments.

1 Corinthians 11:27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world. NKJV

Paul states that some of the drunks above were chastened for their actions. Jesus made them sick and put some of them to sleep. Putting them to sleep means they died under discipline because they did not love their neighbor as themselves. Some ate all the bread, others got drunk and rowdy. They did not show love towards God. Sounds like they broke the 10 to me.

Hebrews 12:5 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons: "My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; 6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens,

And scourges every son whom He receives." NKJV

They broke the commandment about loving their neighbor, yet they died under God's discipline. Verse 6 God chastens those He loves. He scourges every son He receives. Scourge means to punish with severity. He punished with sickness until they died. I would say a punishment of sickness resulting in death would qualify as scourging.

• Agree
Reactions: pasifika
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
James 2:8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well; 9 but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For He who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. NKJV

James clearly states that “love your neighbor as yourself “is a violation of the law. If we do not love our neighbor, we are breaking the 10 commandments.

1 Corinthians 11:27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep. 31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged. 32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world. NKJV

Paul states that some of the drunks above were chastened for their actions. Jesus made them sick and put some of them to sleep. Putting them to sleep means they died under discipline because they did not love their neighbor as themselves. Some ate all the bread, others got drunk and rowdy. They did not show love towards God. Sounds like they broke the 10 to me.

Hebrews 12:5 And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons: "My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; 6 For whom the Lord loves He chastens,

And scourges every son whom He receives." NKJV

They broke the commandment about loving their neighbor, yet they died under God's discipline. Verse 6 God chastens those He loves. He scourges every son He receives. Scourge means to punish with severity. He punished with sickness until they died. I would say a punishment of sickness resulting in death would qualify as scourging.
Who is saying anything about not loving God or neighbor. The whole Ten Commandments is based on love. God said so right in the Ten Exo 20:6

The first 4 commandments show our love to God and the last six our love to our neighbor. Love to God and neighbor is keeping His commandments. 1 John 5:2-3 Jesus explains what this means and relates anger with thou shalt not murder and lust with adultery. Through Jesus He changes our thought process, and in doing so every commandment would be kept- hence why He said not to break or teach others to break the least of them. Mat 5:19-30

Upvote 0