THE SABBATH IS GOD'S 4th COMMANDMENT - WHERE IS THE SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS IT IS ABOLISHED?

Status
Not open for further replies.

συνείδησις

¿uo buıob sı ʇɐɥʍ
Jun 10, 2018
SE
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ACT 15 is talking about the laws in ORDINANCES from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT and not the 10 commandments. The shadow laws of CIRCUMCISSION as a requirement for salvation was the issue being discussed here not the 10 Commandments.

Acts 15 doesn't even mention ordinances. Like I said you made it up. Shadow laws - totally made up nonsense.

Upvote 0

συνείδησις

¿uo buıob sı ʇɐɥʍ
Jun 10, 2018
SE
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ACT 15:1-2 [1], And certain men who came down from Judea taught the brethren, and said, Except you be circumcised after the manner of Moses, you cannot be saved. [2], When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question [which question? CIRCUMCISION].

Why didn't you include verse 5 for context that fully explains what the pharisees were demanding?

But some of those who had believed from the party of the Pharisees stood up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them and to command them to observe the law of Moses!” Acts 15:5

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟451,502.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good question NBB, the topic and conversation of Colossians 2 is the laws in ORDIANANCES from the MOSIAC book of the covenant and shadow laws that have their fulfillment in Christ. The chapter CONTEXT is CIRCUMCISION v11 pointing to the circumcision in Christ. v14 is laws in ORDIANCES (GREEK word here is civil, ceremonial and ecclesiastical laws written in a manuscript). v16 is a reference to the annual Jewish festivals of Leviticus 23 which also included "special Sabbaths" not the 4th Commandment. These "special Sabbaths" could fall on any day of the seek depending on the yearly cycle. Colossians 2:16 is a direct reference back to the Old Testament scriptures and laws from the Mosaic book of the covenant.

DETAILED SCRIPTURE SUPPORT LINKED HERE CLICK ME

Hope this helps.

wow that a lot of text there in that link and i have read some of the discussion there too and i will only add that when you are filled with the Spirit he doens't mind (because he would left you if you continually sin) if you keep the sabbath or not.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The law of Moses was GOD's law from the formation of Israel until Christ. GOD's law is now the law of Christ that superceded and subsumed the law of Moses. Acts 15 concerns the entire law of Moses.

Hello συνείδησις, that is not true at all. The formation of ISRAEL was when God changed the name of Jacob to ISRAEL after he wrestled with the Angel before meeting with Esua (Genesis 32:28) ISRAEL is the name given to the decendence of Abraham by God to those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD.

Scriptures support click me..

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Acts 15 doesn't even mention ordinances. Like I said you made it up. Shadow laws - totally made up nonsense.

Of course it does. Is CIRCUMCISION one of the 10 Commandments? It is also written in the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT which is a part of the OLD COVENANT shadow laws fulfilled in the NEW COVENANT.

FORTOLD IN THE OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT SCRIPTURES….

DEUTERONOMY 30 [6] And the LORD your God will CIRCUMCISE YOUR HEART AND THE HEART OF YOUR DECENDENCE, TO LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND WITHYOU’RE YOUR SOUL, THAT YOU MAY LIVE.

JEREMIAH 4 [4] CIRCUMCISE YOURSELF TO THE LORD, AND TAKE AWAY THE FORESKINS OF YOUR HEART, you men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem: lest my fury come forth like fire, and burn that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings.

DEUTERONOMY 10 [16] CIRCUMCISE therefore THE FORESKIN OF YOUR HEART, and be no more stiff-necked.

NEW COVENANT FULFILLMENT of the SHADOWS of the CEREMONIAL ORDINANCE of CIRCUMCISION pointing the CIRCUMCISION of the HEART through faith in Christ…

ROMANS 2 [25] For circumcision verily profits, if you keep the law: but if you are a breaker of the law, your circumcision is made uncircumcision. [26], Therefore if the uncircumcision keeps the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? [27], And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfils the law, judge you, who by the letter and circumcision do transgress the law? [28], FOR HE IS NOT A JEW, WHO IS ONE; NEITHER IS THAT CIRCUMCISION, WHICH IS OF THE OUTWARD FLESH: [29], BUT HE IS A JEW WHICH IS ONE INWARDLY; AND CIRCUMCISION IS THAT OF THE HEART, IN THE SPIRIT AND NOT IN THE LETTER; WHOSE PRAISE IS NOT OF MEN BUT OF GOD.
1 CORITHIANS 7 [19] CIRCUMCISION IS NOTHING, AND UNCIRCUMCISION IS NOTHING, BUT THE KEEPING OF THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD.

This is the operation of GOD in the NEW COVENANT…

HEBREWS 8 [10], For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord; I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR MINDS, AND WRITE THEM IN THEIR HEARTS: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people.

Hope this helps...

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
However, if you think any iota of the law was abolished, or that we can disobey any laws previously set up by the Most High God, then we *don't* agree on anything

It's really not what I or you "think".

It's "what does scripture say", that we should ask ourselves and honestly look at.

A covenant was the laws, a pact, made with God to us.

The first was removed according to scripture thereby removing the old laws (first covenant) and establishing the new covenant (Christs death, burial resurrection).

The old is "blotted out" (col 2:14). What does "blotted out" mean?
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross

ἐξαλείφω exaleíphō - to smear out, i.e. obliterate (erase tears, figuratively, pardon sin):—blot out, wipe away.

It is repeated over and over again in Hebrews about the new covenant replacing the old covenant.
Heb 8
6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Heb 10
1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.

4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

It was predicted in the OT
Jer. 31
31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

So I say again, Jesus DID abolish the old law with His sacrifice on the cross ("and He nailed it to the cross"- Colossians 2:14). And God didn't have to change His mind either since it was predicted in the OT books.

Therefore God is the one saying He would "remove" the first covenant made with the "fathers" of Israel and replace it with the new covenant. It's right there in the verses I copied down.

Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

συνείδησις

¿uo buıob sı ʇɐɥʍ
Jun 10, 2018
SE
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course it does. Is CIRCUMCISION one of the 10 Commandments? It is also written in the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANT which is a part of the OLD COVENANT shadow laws fulfilled in the NEW COVENANT.

Circumcision was so important that the 4th commandment would be broken to perform it. It was a crucial commandment of the covenant because without it a person was cut off from Israel. Shadow laws is just made up nonsense. No such thing. Did the SDA come up with that, or did you?

Upvote 0

συνείδησις

¿uo buıob sı ʇɐɥʍ
Jun 10, 2018
SE
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello συνείδησις, that is not true at all. The formation of ISRAEL was when God changed the name of Jacob to ISRAEL after he wrestled with the Angel before meeting with Esua (Genesis 32:28) ISRAEL is the name given to the decendence of Abraham by God to those who BELIEVE and FOLLOW God's WORD.

What a complete distraction. You knew what I was referring to. Let me restate - "The law of Moses was GOD's law from Israel at Sinai until Christ"

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

It's "what does scripture say", that we should ask ourselves and honestly look at.

The first was removed according to scripture thereby removing the old laws (first covenant) and establishing the new covenant (Christs death, burial resurrection).

14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross

ἐξαλείφω exaleíphō - to smear out, i.e. obliterate (erase tears, figuratively, pardon sin):—blot out, wipe away.

It is repeated over and over again in Hebrews about the new covenant replacing the old covenant.
Heb 8
6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Heb 10
1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

Jer. 31
31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:

33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

So I say again, Jesus DID abolish the old law with His sacrifice on the cross ("and He nailed it to the cross"- Colossians 2:14). And God didn't have to change His mind either since it was predicted in the OT books.

Therefore God is the one saying He would "remove" the first covenant made with the "fathers" of Israel and replace it with the new covenant. It's right there in the verses I copied down.

Hello ACTS2:38, I think where you post falls down a little here is in v11-14 as the context is laws in "ORDINANCES" v11 as COTEXT is discussing CIRCUMCISION this is not talking about God's 10 Commandments. The GREEK word used here is "dogma" which means; G1378 δόγμα dogma (d̮og'-ma) n. From the base of G1380; a law; civil, ceremonial or ecclesiastical: - decree, ordinance. v14-17 follows the same theme of the shadow laws fulfilled in Christ.

FOR A DETAILED SCRIPTURE ANALYSIS CLICK ME.

The OLD COVENANT was more then God's 10 Commandments written on stone. It also included the MOSIAC laws for remission of SIN that were fulfilled in Christ.

The scriptures here do not say God's 10 commandments have been ABOLISHED. If you believe they do then you have most of the NEW Testament writings of Jesus and all the Apostles that disagree with you and will need to try and reconcile a lot of scriptures.

SCRIPTURE SUPPORT HERE CLICK ME

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Circumcision was so important that the 4th commandment would be broken to perform it. It was a crucial commandment of the covenant because without it a person was cut off from Israel.

God's 4th commandment was never broken to perform circumcision. It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath (Matthew 12:12)

Shadow laws is just made up nonsense. No such thing. Did the SDA come up with that, or did you?

God's Word disagrees with you. Please feel free to respond to all the scriptures in the link below discussing the shadow laws fulfilled in christ.

SCRIPTURE SUPPORT HERE CLICK ME.

If you cannot we should BELIEVE and FOLLOW the Word of God over the teachings and tradaitions of men that break the commandment of God.

SIN is the breaking of God's Commandments (James 2:9-11; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4)

Those who CONTINUE in UNREPENTANT SIN will NOT enter into the KINGDOM of HEAVEN.

God's 4th commandment is one of the ten (Exodus 20:8-11) If we knowingly break it when God asks us not to we stand guilty before God of committing sin (James 2:8-12). If we do not seek him in repentance and forgiveness we are in danger of the Judgement (Hebrews 10:26-27)

Sunday worship is a tradition and teaching of man that has led many to break the commandments of God. Jesus says that if we follow the traditions of man that break the commandments of God we are not following God (Matthew 15:3-9)

There is not one scripture in all of God's Word that says that God's 4th Commandment is now ABOLISHED and we are now commanded to KEEP Sunday as a Holy day.

Who should we follow the teachings and traditions of men or the Word of God? Who should we believe the Words of men or the Word of God?

In times of ignorance God winks at but now ,<when a KNOWLEDGE of the truth has come> calls all men everywhere to REPENT (FOLLOW) (Acts 17:30-31).

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What a complete distraction. You knew what I was referring to. Let me restate - "The law of Moses was GOD's law from Israel at Sinai until Christ"

It is not a distration at all. The OLD COVENANT included both God's LAW (10 commandments) and the MOSAIC BOOK OF of laws for remission of sin. The first is ETERNAL and give us an KNOWLEDGE of what sin is (Romans 3:20). The 2nd pointed to Jesus for forgiveness of sin and are fulfilled in him (no more sin offerings and animal sacrifices)

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

συνείδησις

¿uo buıob sı ʇɐɥʍ
Jun 10, 2018
SE
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wikipedia is not valid when it comes to the word of God. You tell me to do my research as if I don’t know where the commands from. They definitely don’t come from Wikipedia, that’s for sure.

They come from the law of God(first 5 books of bible)

Those two paragraphs are quotes from the Jewish Encyclopedia. I could have gone there and grabbed them, but they say the same thing, so what's the point? That's fine, stay ignorant.

Upvote 0

συνείδησις

¿uo buıob sı ʇɐɥʍ
Jun 10, 2018
SE
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you cannot we should BELIEVE and FOLLOW the Word of God over the teachings and tradaitions of men that break the commandment of God.

You should follow the words of Jesus rather than Moses. Those are the words you will be judged by, not Moses'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Those two paragraphs are quotes from the Jewish Encyclopedia. I could have gone there and grabbed them, but they say the same thing, so what's the point? That's fine, stay ignorant.

The Jewish Encyclopedia is not the word of God. You seem to be obsessed with quoting any and everything except the word of God

• Agree
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You should follow the words of Jesus rather than Moses. Those are the words you will be judged by, not Moses'.
Speaking of ignorance...

The words of Moses are the words of God.

Serious question: do you have one of those bibles that’s New Testament only? You seem to not have any knowledge of anything other than [limited] knowledge of the New Testament. That would explain some of the ignorance you display regarding scriptural truths.

Upvote 0

συνείδησις

¿uo buıob sı ʇɐɥʍ
Jun 10, 2018
SE
✟24,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Speaking of ignorance...

The words of Moses are the words of God.

Serious question: do you have one of those bibles that’s New Testament only? You seem to not have any knowledge of anything other than [limited] knowledge of the New Testament. That would explain some of the ignorance you display regarding scriptural truths.

I probably know the OT better than you do. The words of Moses were the words of GOD for Israel until Christ.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

Heb 8

Heb 10

Jer. 31

Ok.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.