Not open for further replies.

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is very plain. What is it that you do not understand about 2 Corinthians 5:19.

"To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, NOT imputing their trespasses unto them; and has committed unto us the word of reconciliation," 2 Corinthians 5:19

Other related scripture

"For as in Adam all die, so in Christ shall ALL be made alive." 1 Corinthians 15:22.

"For God has concluded them ALL in unbelief, that he might have mercy on ALL," Romans 11:32.

" But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor; that he by the grace of God should taste death for EVERY MAN," Hebrews 9:10.

Do you believe these scriptures?
Matt. 18:34-35, Matt. 25:41, 46, Matt. 7:21, and 2 Thess. 1:8-9 refutes your (apparently) universalist position.

Matt. 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

2 Thess. 1:8-9 dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

Upvote 0
R

Robert Pate

Matt. 18:34-35, Matt. 25:41, 46, Matt. 7:21, and 2 Thess. 1:8-9 refutes your (apparently) universalist position.

Matt. 7:21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.

2 Thess. 1:8-9 dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power,

I am not promoting a universalist doctrine.

Universalist believe that everyone is saved regardless of whether they believe or don't believe.

I do believe that Jesus Christ is the savior of the world and that by his life, death, and resurrection has provided salvation for all that want it.

Salvation is a gift from God. "For by grace you are saved through faith; and not that of yourselves: IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD." Ephesians 2:8.

A gift cannot be earned or deserved, otherwise it is no longer a gift. A gift can only be accepted or refused.

"Therfore as by the offense of one (Adam) judgment came upon ALL MEN to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one (Christ) THE FREE GIFT came upon ALL MEN unto justification of life," Romans 5:18.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Pate

Why would a Calvinist want to become a missionary?

Do you not believe that God has predestinated who will be saved and who will go to hell?

What is the sense in preaching the gospel to those who have been predestinated to go to hell?

Is it not just a sham to preach the gospel to anyone?

After all, it is God who will decide who goes to heaven and who goes to hell.

Upvote 0

Easystreet

May 17, 2006
✟3,713.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not promoting a universalist doctrine.

Universalist believe that everyone is saved regardless of whether they believe or don't believe.

I do believe that Jesus Christ is the savior of the world and that by his life, death, and resurrection has provided salvation for all that want it.

Salvation is a gift from God. "For by grace you are saved through faith; and not that of yourselves: IT IS THE GIFT OF GOD." Ephesians 2:8.

A gift cannot be earned or deserved, otherwise it is no longer a gift. A gift can only be accepted or refused.

"Therfore as by the offense of one (Adam) judgment came upon ALL MEN to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one (Christ) THE FREE GIFT came upon ALL MEN unto justification of life," Romans 5:18.

I totally agree the other side and sides use the "straw man" Universalist pitch and it is as shallow as could ever be. Is there not more depth in conversation except to revert to "straw men", granted we have most likely all used them, I have, but we must move away from this phony labeling and substantiate our words with reasonable facts or argument? Such constant use directed a non Calvinist for me means that one has passed from honestly looking’s at issues to diverting the conversation to shallowness.

When a book has this "JUNK" in it regardless of view I have a hard time respecting the writer.

There are times when "straw men/man" is appropriate but I doubt that the thousands of times it is use on this forum it has legitimate credentials to validate its constructive use, verses its demeaning use.

Those of us that are not Calvinist are constantly labeled Universalist by many, not all. Just maybe this straw man approach specifically in this forum will vanish. I think the forum is headed in the right direction and we may all stray from time to time.

Perhaps we can tone down the “universalist” label where there are no substantive factual data that can be interacted with. If one sees a view as Universalist perhaps one can, instead of calling one a Universalist, simply say what you understand a Universalist is. Lay out your view instead of belittling others.

Example: Someone makes a statement to you or me that sounds or lends to me or you as universalism. Lay your case out but don't belittle the comment that lends itself to confront your personal view. There is a difference. I am a Universalist in a number of things and I am not a Calvinist. I am not a Universalist when it comes to salvation because not all will believe regardless of one’s theology, Arminian, Molinist, Calvinist or other. A Universalist is simply one that believes all will be saved in the end and if a theology in their way does not believe this then for Heaven’s sake stop using this term against brothers and sisters in Christ, it is disingenuous and wrong.

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Do you not believe that God has predestinated who will be saved and who will go to hell?

What is the sense in preaching the gospel to those who have been predestinated to go to hell?

Go learn what Calvinism truly teaches. All this is a jumble of straw.

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I totally agree the other side and sides use the "straw man" Universalist pitch and it is as shallow as could ever be. Is there not more depth in conversation except to revert to "straw men", granted we have most likely all used them, I have, but we must move away from this phony labeling and substantiate our words with reasonable facts or argument? Such constant use directed a non Calvinist for me means that one has passed from honestly looking’s at issues to diverting the conversation to shallowness.

But the fact is, those who object to the false portrayals of Calvinism are taking their opponents words at face value, and extrapolating their logical conclusion. Straw men are the refuge of those who do not know correctly what they think to oppose, so they post what they imagine the opposition believes, which coincidentally happens to make their own position look better, and try to pass it off as fact. Then when they are called on it, they whine that they are being misrepresented.

Straw men have no place in serious discussion, as they are logical fallacies.

Easystreet said:
When a book has this "JUNK" in it regardless of view I have a hard time respecting the writer.

That's a pot-kettle-black situation all around. No one can claim that they have not employed such tactics. No One.

Easystreet said:
There are times when "straw men/man" is appropriate but I doubt that the thousands of times it is use on this forum it has legitimate credentials to validate its constructive use, verses its demeaning use.

I cannot think of single instance where a straw man argument is appropriate or legitimate. It is a cop-out, pure and simple.

Easystreet said:
Those of us that are not Calvinist are constantly labeled Universalist by many, not all. Just maybe this straw man approach specifically in this forum will vanish. I think the forum is headed in the right direction and we may all stray from time to time.

Perhaps we can tone down the “universalist” label where there are no substantive factual data that can be interacted with. If one sees a view as Universalist perhaps one can, instead of calling one a Universalist, simply say what you understand a Universalist is. Lay out your view instead of belittling others.

Any such charges are not made willy-nilly, or "constantly", they may be brought up based on another poster's own words which logically point to Universalism. "if it quacks like a duck, etc." Either the poster did not adequately express themselves, or they really do hold to such a view, even if they are not consciously aware of that fact, in which case, pointing it out may actually be doing them a kindness.

Easystreet said:
Example: Someone makes a statement to you or me that sounds or lends to me or you as universalism. Lay your case out but don't belittle the comment that lends itself to confront your personal view. There is a difference. I am a Universalist in a number of things and I am not a Calvinist. I am not a Universalist when it comes to salvation because not all will believe regardless of one’s theology, Arminian, Molinist, Calvinist or other. A Universalist is simply one that believes all will be saved in the end and if a theology in their way does not believe this then for Heaven’s sake stop using this term against brothers and sisters in Christ, it is disingenuous and wrong.

Unlike straw man arguments, there is an appropriate and legitimate use of the term in relation to another's statements, and it can be done in a respectful manner (which often isn't done, as some think they have to score points, as though this were some sort of competition). We cannot be afraid to call things what they are. If we are proven wrong, then we need to have the grace to admit it, be corrected, and move on. That applies to everyone here, not just the Calvinists. But we can do it respectfully, as becomes Christians.

Upvote 0
S

SeraphimsCherub

The whole reality of the matter is this: Their are two types of people that exist in GOD'S world! Saint's that are "very much" still sinner's!! And sinner's who are "very much" not yet born of Christ's Spirit to be called a saint!! Let's look at David, he was called a man after GOD'S own Heart!! Yet even after he had knew GOD & been in a personal relationship with God for years, & was also anointed with GOD'S Holy Spirit! Yet committed gross & atroscious sin planing out the death of Bathsheba's inoscent husband, whom he also committed adultery against, which would be considered "Capital Murder" today!! Not to mention all the atroscities Paul committed against Christ & His cause before he was Saved! Yet many years after he still considered himself to be the cheif of sinner's apart from Christ, he knew himself(((LIKE ALL TRUE SAINT'S))) come to know, because of the Reality of An Emmense Awsome Holy and Righteous GOD takes residence in the bodies of carnal flesh! That the closer GOD draws them to Him in this life, the more vile, and utterly wicked they "truly" realize themselves to be, Not the other way around!! Like the "Self-Righteous" "Phairicee-Sadducee", "Religious" hypocryte see's himself to be! Those who love to be seen of men, and seek their praises! That all may adore their vain glorious "golden-puffed-up-Image" of themselves!!
No God didn't come into the world to save anyone who is holy, righteous,godly & good!! Because there are (((none, no..not one)))!! GOD & Him Alone(Period)...But in fact, this is the (((GOOD NEWS))) of what He Has Come to do & Will Continue to DO until the end! And that is:
1 Timothy 1:15 (KJV) This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Romans 4:5-8 (KJV) Ro 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. 8Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Matthew 9:10-13 (KJV) Mt 10 And it came to pass, as Jesus sat at meat in the house, behold, many publicans and sinners came and sat down with him and his disciples.

11 And when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto his disciples, Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?
12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.
13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Pate

One of the reasons we are labeled as universalist is because we believe that Jesus was the universal savior of the world.

"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor; that he by the grace of God should taste death FOR EVERY MAN," Hebrews 2:9.

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ; who gave himself a ransom FOR ALL," 1 Timothy 2:5, 6.

"For therefore we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is THE SAVIOR OF ALL MEN, especially of those who believe," 1 Timothy 4:10.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Because it is mandated in scripture.

Yes - but we do not know who falls into which category. Therefore we preach the gospel to all as if they could receive the gospel.

Because we do not know who is predestined to go to hell. Only God knows.

No it is not.

Precisely - it is God who decides not us - and whom he has chosen and whom he hasn't is not known.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Pate

Because it is mandated in scripture.

Yes - but we do not know who falls into which category. Therefore we preach the gospel to all as if they could receive the gospel.

Because we do not know who is predestined to go to hell. Only God knows.

No it is not.

Precisely - it is God who decides not us - and whom he has chosen and whom he hasn't is not known.

My question still stands.

Why preach the gospel if God ALREADY has decided who will be saved and who is going to hell.

Calvinist are like Jonah they have already decided who will be saved and who won't.

Why go preach to the wicked in Nineveh? They are all going to hell anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,739,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why preach the gospel if God ALREADY has decided who will be saved and who is going to hell.

Two reasons: 1. It is commanded. I'm not sure why you are having difficulty in believing that Calvinists want to be obedient.

2. It brings God glory when He is proclaimed. Isn't all about evangelism.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,739,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Two reasons: 1. It is commanded. I'm not sure why you are having difficulty in believing that Calvinists want to be obedient.

Upvote 0
B

Benefactor

Interesting, for God gets the GLORY when the great commission is obeyed, that is Evangelism, Go Make Disciples of All Nations.

Upvote 0
S

SeraphimsCherub

There is a "Big" major "Point" that GOD Has Declared Boldly From The Truth of this Book! GOD had already Predestined Ninevah's repentance and Salvation outside of time, to take place and come to pass inside of time, to accure exactly in the "time" period He Appointed it to Happen & Ordained it to come to pass!! And Jonah was "the exact man" whom He chose to bring forth the exact Message to bring about & cause the exact - OmniPotent,OmniPresent,OmniScient-Result of The UnAlterable Decreed Eternal Will Within The Counscel of His Eternal GOD-HEAD, which is the Only Reality that shal ever be "currently" coming too pass, both Universally Subjective in & throughout the will's & their personal perception's of that would determine the belief's that would come to form within their mind's through the "reality" that they were Ordained By GOD to come and pass through!! In and throughout the subjective life experience's and their perception of what reality is,in each and every soul throughout the entire His-Story of His World!!! And their was Absolutely Nothing in the (((power of Jonah's will))) that Jonah was (((free))) too (((choose))) his (((own way))) or could (((do))) to bring his (((own free cause))) outside of or (((independent))) of THE ALL POWERFULL-ALMIGHTY WILL OF GOD DETERMINED TO COME TOO PASS!!! AMEN!!! And as wretched as Jonah was GOD still LOVED him Just the Same, and He is in Heaven Praising Him forever for His Great Mercy,and Grace, and Loving Kindness toward's him!!!!!!! AMEN!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,739,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Interesting, for God gets the GLORY when the great commission is obeyed, that is Evangelism, Go Make Disciples of All Nations.
I agree. But if you think the Gospel is only about evangelism, then I feel bad for you.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Pate

No, that is not what evangelism is about.

The purpose of preaching the Gospel is to bring people to Christ. This is what Paul taught.

Do you really believe that Paul ran all over Asia preaching the Gospel because he was trying to be obedient?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,739,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No, that is not what evangelism is about.

The purpose of preaching the Gospel is to bring people to Christ. This is what Paul taught.

Do you really believe that Paul ran all over Asia preaching the Gospel because he was trying to be obedient?

Are you saying that it's not commanded?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.