The problem of Objective Morality. and why even biblical speaking it is subjective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Everyone will have subjective views of things including myself. But I may think something is OK and then learn that I was wrong and that there can be an objective position that works out best.
Yeah but then later you find out that objective position that works out best wasn’t actually best because something else works out better!

Sometimes people may not agree with that but will accept it becuase it is the best thing to do. There may be subjective views about killing such as it is OK to kill for money, kill for pleasure, or kill because it benefits me. At the same time there is an objective view that killing is never OK except in self defense.
Why is killing only in self defense objective, but killing for money subjective; and not the other way around? Or perhaps both objective, or both subjective?
That still does mean slavery was good. Does the majority view that they benefited from the money of slavery outweigh the minority view that slavery was bad because it hurt them.
Some say yes; others say no.

Whats more important money or peoples welfare. Some may say that it doesnt matter what is more important becuase subjective morality does not have any particular criteria as to what is right or wrong and each persons own view is only relevant.
So whats the criteria for objective morality?

But we can determine that becuase slavery can be scientifically measured as to the harm it causes to humans that this is wrong for human flourishing and wellbeing. We can determine scientifically that human wellbeing is important for human happiness and the stability of society and that happiness is better than misery and the stability of society is important for human survival.
Morality is not about the wellbeing or what is harmful to people. Morality is about what is right or wrong. Do you know the difference?

There are many becuase science has developed in all areas compared to then. There are certain needs that people want and need that will give them a good and balance life and help them be complete such as described with the Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html
That’s a motivational theory; not a scientific theory.

Slavery for some may have given them the first level of needs such as shelter and food. The second level of Safety needs may have been taken care sometimes but it was unpredictablefor many. Safety is not just about physical safety and having your life in the hands of someone else can take its toll. In the third level of needs slaves may have found it hard to feel they were loved and belonged if they were denied the freedom to persue their own lives and love and belong in the greater society freely.

But it is the upper levels of needs that slavery effected the most such as the Esteem needs - which Maslow classified into two categories: (i) esteem for oneself (dignity, achievement, mastery, independence) and (ii) the desire for reputation or respect from others (e.g., status, prestige). Cognitive needs- knowledge and understanding, curiosity, exploration, need for meaning and predictability. Self-actualization needs - realizing personal potential, self-fulfillment, seeking personal growth and peak experiences. These needs are seen as the basic needs for all humans to be complete and slavery denied that.

We know this even more so today what things like slavery can do with further developments in psychology, neorology and the other sciences associated with human development.
Psychological Slavery

In fact slavery from the past still has bad effects on people today
How the legacy of slavery affects the mental health of black Americans today
The motivational theory you speak of address what is helpful/harmful to people not morality which is about right and wrong.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
They didn't have iron back then either; and todays pressure treated wood is better than anything natural that could have been used back then
How do you know they didn't have iron back then? The human population was very small 2 mya very few artifacts have been found that far back and many ancient societies have started out very advanced technologically and then DE-evolved technologically later. This has been proven in history many times.

ken: The link explains why the ocean is salty, it doesn’t explain how a once salty lake would lose its salt
Given that all the sources for the flood waters were fresh, the overall salinity after the flood was very low. The influx of fresh water was huge so the lake would quickly become fresh from such a massive influx.

ken: No; the bible is very clear; the light that rules the day, (Sun) and the light that rules the night (moon) was created on the 3rd day
No, not if you look at the original Hebrew. The Hebrew term in verse 14, saying "Let there be" can also mean "let there be made visible....". So we now know using God's other book, Nature, that just before the time mentioned in verse 14 that the earth was covered by clouds of dust and debris and so the sun and moon were not visible from the surface of the earth (remember this was written from the perspective of a Hebrew observer on the surface, and when the dust and debris cleared, the stars, sun and moon became visible. That is what 14 and following is referring to.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
How do you know they didn't have iron back then? The human population was very small 2 mya very few artifacts have been found that far back and many ancient societies have started out very advanced technologically and then DE-evolved technologically later. This has been proven in history many times.
So you’re saying in middle east Asia, they had technology and then they lost it? How did this happen, and what proof do you have of this? Did they loose the technology of refrigeration, only to get it back later? Because with all those animals in the ark for 100 days, what did they eat? After a few days; vegetation would spoil and meat would rot! So how did they keep fresh food for the animals to eat?

Given that all the sources for the flood waters were fresh, the overall salinity after the flood was very low. The influx of fresh water was huge so the lake would quickly become fresh from such a massive influx.
The same would apply to the oceans as well.

No, not if you look at the original Hebrew. The Hebrew term in verse 14, saying "Let there be" can also mean "let there be made visible....". So we now know using God's other book, Nature, that just before the time mentioned in verse 14 that the earth was covered by clouds of dust and debris and so the sun and moon were not visible from the surface of the earth (remember this was written from the perspective of a Hebrew observer on the surface, and when the dust and debris cleared, the stars, sun and moon became visible. That is what 14 and following is referring to.
The bible says “and God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. If not the Sun and the moon, what are these two great lights he is speaking of here? Because as you know; there is a big difference between making something vs clearing the path of something already made so it becomes visible. So what were these two great lights he made at this time?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah but then later you find out that objective position that works out best wasn’t actually best because something else works out better!
I am not sure there are too many different positions you can take with objective morality at least the main morals like killing, stealing, rape, child abuse, being kind and respectful ect. Morals are about how they effect others and most people follow the golden rule in treating others like you want to be treated. There may be some ambiguity about some moral positions but there is always going to be a best position that can be found. It just needs to be investigated through scientific reasoning and logic.

As mentioned before people may think slavery is OK but then research comes out to better help us realize its affects on people and scoeity and then can have a better understanding of the truth of what it can cause. ome people may still say they dont care about the results but that does not change the fact that those results are factural from science and will prove them wrong even if they think they aree right. It is their opinion against scientific facts that show it is bad for themselves, others and society.

Why is killing only in self defense objective, but killing for money subjective; and not the other way around? Or perhaps both objective, or both subjective?
Becuase killing in self defenceinvolves another moral objective which is to protect life as it is valuable and allowing someone to be killed is making the person who allowed that to happen culperable guilty of killing. Moral situations do not happen in isolation and will be linked to other circumstances so that need to be justified or unjustified. Killing for money has no justification as far as whether it is for the best for human wellbeing and happiness. Human wellbeing can be scientifically supported as shown earlier through the sciences and what that moral does to people and society. So killing for money can be shown to have negative consequences for the person themselves, others and society ie imagine if people were allowed to go around killing for money.

Imagine your mother was killed for money, imagine if a person who said they didnt care about peoples wellbeing when killing for money and their mother was killed for money. I bet they would be upset unless they had no empathy and then you would have to question their ability to know right from wrong. Now imagine if your father did not save your mother from being raped and killed. What would you think or what would anyone think of their father.

Some say yes; others say no.
That still does not answer the question about whether it iss right and best to enslave people for money or allow them to be free to live their own life. Based on the effects to human wellbeing that slavery causes do you think slavery for money is justified even if you believe it is. When two epople debate this issue what do they use as a measuring stick for who is right or wrong in this situation.

So whats the criteria for objective morality?
I think I have told you this many times. The scientific reasong and logic based on how moral acts effect human wellbeing. Wellbeing can be defined as hrough the sciences that tell us what is noraml, health physically, mentally, emotionally, and psychologically for human wellbeing. There is ample evidence available now and more will continue to come. This is not my opinion or any humans opinion but scientific fact from the various sciences involved so is independent of human opinion just like the laws of nature are.

Morality is not about the wellbeing or what is harmful to people. Morality is about what is right or wrong. Do you know the difference?
Morality can only apply to a conscious being and conscious beings have certain states that are determined to be best for life. The sciences can determine what is best for conscious living beings. A moral act that causes a conscious living being to not be able to achieve these states can be regarded as wrong. So science does not determine what is right or wrong itself but it can measure the consequences of a moral act to determine if it affects a certain state of humans existence which is proven scientifically to be the best way for humans to exist.

It is like saying for example why is slavery and abusive acts morally wrong, it is becuase it has various physical and psychological affects on humans and this stops them from being complete humans. It also affects society becuaseof the repercussions of the individual affects on their families, friends and the greater community. It contributes to less quality oif life for all and can threaten the very existence of those people ie there is a bigger death rate from many of these acts as proven by scientific studies.

That’s a motivational theory; not a scientific theory.
It is a well accepted theory in psychology about human needs and motivation. One of the first needs is food and people are motivated to have food because it is scientifically proven that they will die without food. The same for self actualisation, people need to have a sense of self and fulfillment about who they are and what they can do in life otherwise it has been scientifically shown they will have no meaning and become depressed, suffer mental illness and may become suicidal. But that is just the tip of the iceberge as far as scientific support for how humans cen be affected by certain acts.

The motivational theory you speak of address what is helpful/harmful to people not morality which is about right and wrong.
What is morality anyway, why is it wrong or right. What measurement do we use. Subjective morality uses many views so it is not just about right or wrong but peoples reasons why something is right or wrong. Using the reason that it is bad for human wellbeing seems to be the best way to determine this becuase moral acts can only be done against humans so it is all to do with what effects it has on humans.

It seems to me that proving scientifically the negative effects it has on humans wellbeing is the best way to determine right from wrong. I guarentee when two subjectivists argue about what they believe is right and wrong morally they will use what effects the moral act has on people or themselves as the measure. So if thats the case what better way to determine the real and true affects than through the sciences and logic. Science and logic will not support money as being good measure for moral acts on humans but it will support wellbeing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I am not sure there are too many different positions you can take with objective morality at least the main morals like killing, stealing, rape, child abuse, being kind and respectful ect.
I disagree. There are many positions you could take on those issues. You can’t just say stealing (the legal definition of stealing) is wrong, because there are too many instances when stealing is not wrong. The same can be said for the what is legally called child abuse, what is legally called rape, and all the other examples you gave; each of those examples must be taken on a case by case basis because there are too many exceptions to the rule

Morals are about how they effect others and most people follow the golden rule in treating others like you want to be treated. There may be some ambiguity about some moral positions but there is always going to be a best position that can be found. It just needs to be investigated through scientific reasoning and logic.
If there were a single best answer to all moral problems, we would have discovered this best solution by now. There is no such thing as a best solution that everybody can agree on.

Becuase killing in self defenceinvolves another moral objective which is to protect life as it is valuable and allowing someone to be killed is making the person who allowed that to happen culperable guilty of killing.
Killing for money could involve another moral as well.

Killing for money has no justification as far as whether it is for the best for human wellbeing and happiness.
Killing for money could have a justification for being best for human wellbeing. But even if it couldn’t, morality is not defined as what is best for human wellbeing. That sounds like something you just subjectively made up. If you disagree, provide a definition of morality that includes human well being.

That still does not answer the question about whether it iss right and best to enslave people for money or allow them to be free to live their own life. Based on the effects to human wellbeing that slavery causes do you think slavery for money is justified even if you believe it is.
It does answer the question. Just because I personally believe slavery was wrong, doesn’t mean my belief is based on fact. I recognize my belief is based on my opinion.

When two epople debate this issue what do they use as a measuring stick for who is right or wrong in this situation.
Everybody brings their own measuring stick to the debate. That’s why I insist morality is subjective; not objective.

I think I have told you this many times. The scientific reasong and logic based on how moral acts effect human wellbeing.
That is not the criteria for morality. If you disagree, provide a definition of morality that includes human wellbeing; otherwise I will assume this is just something you are making up.

Morality can only apply to a conscious being and conscious beings have certain states that are determined to be best for life. The sciences can determine what is best for conscious living beings. A moral act that causes a conscious living being to not be able to achieve these states can be regarded as wrong.
It CAN be regarded as wrong; but doing so would be another subjective opinion of “wrong”. Wrong is not defined as an act that prevents humans from achieving specific states of being. This sounds like something else you just arbitrarily made up.
What is morality anyway, why is it wrong or right. What measurement do we use.
Because morality is subjective, the answers to those questions will vary from person to person.

Subjective morality uses many views so it is not just about right or wrong but peoples reasons why something is right or wrong. Using the reason that it is bad for human wellbeing seems to be the best way to determine this becuase moral acts can only be done against humans so it is all to do with what effects it has on humans.
I can agree with you about human wellbeing as the best way, but not everybody agrees with you or I. Because other people have other ideas of what constitutes the best way, this shows subjectivity; not objectivity.

It seems to me that proving scientifically the negative effects it has on humans wellbeing is the best way to determine right from wrong..
Yes; I’m sure it does seem that way to you, but it doesn’t seem that way to everybody else.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
No he didn’t. If you want to believe he created the Universe, and allow him to be your judge, that’s fine; but for me and other non Christians; he is not a creator nor is he a judge.
Just believing that the sky is not blue, does not mean that it is not actually blue. So it is with God, just believing that He is not your creator and judge, does not mean that He is not actually your creator and Judge.

ken: Oh so now God instituted Governments to punish evildoers? Well there are things in the Bible, that if you do, the Government will punish you!
That's true especially nations that were not founded on Christian principles or have abandoned those principles, such as preaching the gospel and the truth about reality. The Communists and Nazis threw people in jail and worse for doing so. And it appears America and Europe are heading that way in modern times.

ken: Proverbs 13:24 for example; if you follow those instructions; the police will come arrest you. If God instituted the Government to punish evildoers, why are people being punished for following the Bible?
Not in America, you can still use corporal punishment on your children. My parents used it on me and I was in the upper 10 percentile in school.

ken: Okay, to answer your question; how do I determine what is evil? The same way you and most people know rape is wrong, I know what is evil

Yes, but many people can be influenced by secular or pagan or Muslim education and media propaganda that go against their God given conscience and eventually learn to ignore it and do terrible things. Look at Nazi Germany, the most well educated high tech society in the world at the time of the rise of Nazism. They were taught that the Bible is full of errors, that they were just animals and evolved from animals so they rejected the Bible as moral standard and then began the Holocaust.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, but many people can be influenced by secular or pagan or Muslim education and media propaganda that go against their God given conscience and eventually learn to ignore it and do terrible things. Look at Nazi Germany, the most well educated high tech society in the world at the time of the rise of Nazism. They were taught that the Bible is full of errors, that they were just animals and evolved from animals so they rejected the Bible as moral standard and then began the Holocaust.

Actually Hitler believed that the so-called 'lesser races' evolved from animal ancestors but Aryans were divinely created.

• Agree
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I disagree. There are many positions you could take on those issues.
When it comes to objective morality there are not many positions and that is what I am talking about. You said there are more than one objective position for objective morality. That cannot be otherwise it is undermining an objective moral position.
You can’t just say stealing (the legal definition of stealing) is wrong, because there are too many instances when stealing is not wrong. The same can be said for the what is legally called child abuse, what is legally called rape, and all the other examples you gave; each of those examples must be taken on a case by case basis because there are too many exceptions to the rule
You said "each of those examples must be taken on a case by case basis because there are too many exceptions to the rule" Saying there are exceptions to the rule is acknowledging there is an objective position. That means those exception have to be determined as justified or unjustified to that rule or objective. If they are not justified then they are not moral. If they are justifiedthenthis does not mean that this is a different morel view. The person still has the view that the moral rule or objective hold its position. They just allow a rare exception on moral grounds becuase the exxception may be breaching another objective moral that also needs to be upheld. All the other exceptions which would be classed as subjective views are ruled out. That still upholds objective morality.

If there were a single best answer to all moral problems, we would have discovered this best solution by now. There is no such thing as a best solution that everybody can agree on.
Everyone does not have to agree for it to be an objective moral position. They can still keep their subjective view if they want. IT is just saying that their subjective view has been shown to be not the best moral position and the objective moral position has. We have been doing this for years. Just about everyone agrees that killing, stealing, raping, child abuse are wrong. WE show this by the laws we have. We know this because if we did not stop these things our societies would fall into disorder and anarchy and it would cause a lot of problems and threaten our survival. Those who disagree are rare and we say they are wrong by the fact we have the laws. We will punish them and put them in jail if they breach these laws.

Killing for money could involve another moral as well.
It may well do such as a personal moral view. But can that be justified. Will science show it is bad for others and society or even the person themselves.

Killing for money could have a justification for being best for human wellbeing. But even if it couldn’t, morality is not defined as what is best for human wellbeing. That sounds like something you just subjectively made up. If you disagree, provide a definition of morality that includes human well being.
I already have several times. Morals can only apply to conscious humans and conscious humans have a certain state that needs to be upheld for them to thrive and live a happy life otherwise it can effect everyone and society and threaten our survival. It is better to have a happy world than a miserable world. Humans have known this since the beginning of time and that is why we restrict certain moral acts. Science can show as a fact what certain moral acts do that lead to threatening our existence for the victim, the perpetrator and society.

So when someone says that they believe their moral view is OK we can measure that on how that effects people and either promotes of denies wellbeing. If they say they dont care about all that it still shows their position as bad for the wellbing of others which has already been determined as the best and necessary position if we are to have a happy world and survive. Even so we can also show how it affects them and expose their position as being wrong for themselves which is a illogical moral position to have and brings into question their ability to understand right from wrong. .

It does answer the question. Just because I personally believe slavery was wrong, doesn’t mean my belief is based on fact. I recognize my belief is based on my opinion.
People can disagree about whether slavery from money is good or bad but it does not answer "is slavery for money truly bad". I was trying to differentiate between subjective and objective moral view. Yes your view about slavery for money is your view and the next person can have their view and so on. But when you debate whether it is good or bad how do you determine who is really right, (objectively right). Under subjective morality you cannot ever really know and therefore it is just a useless circular debate that has no ultimate conclusion.

Why even debate about it as each person would just counter the other with any subjective belief about slavery for money. You could not say to someone else who said enfoorcing young girls into sexual slavery so they can make money is bad. You can only say it is a different view from yours. The moment yoy say it is wrong you are appealing to an objective standard of meeasurement.

Everybody brings their own measuring stick to the debate. That’s why I insist morality is subjective; not objective.
We seem to to have a communication breakdown. I am not saying there are no subjective moral views and that people have no right to have them. For the reasons I have given above I say there is also an objective moral position that we can measure those subjective views against. We live by an objective moral position everyday when we top others from doing certain moral acts becuase it is against the law. We live objective morals when we try to argue that our moral position is right and the other person is wrong and should be stopped, we live objective morals when we react badly as though it is an injustice to someone who steals against us or who attacks our family or abuses our children.

That is not the criteria for morality. If you disagree, provide a definition of morality that includes human wellbeing; otherwise, I will assume this is just something you are making up.
I have many times including above. I am beginning to think you are just ignoring this or not understanding things.

It CAN be regarded as wrong; but doing so would be another subjective opinion of “wrong”. Wrong is not defined as an act that prevents humans from achieving specific states of being. This sounds like something else you just arbitrarily made up.
It can be regarded as wrong when it destroys the very fabric that holds our society together and threatens our survival. This is also an evolutionary fact when they say that certain moral positions were determined as best so that they allowed people to live tgether in harmony otherwise the conflict from these acts would disrupt things and cause conflicts which wil lead to harm and threaten our very survival. So we can measure these concequences through sciences like human behavior, psychology, cause and effect, neurology, etc.

These findings are scientific facts that we have known and built up over decades and are getting better at it. IE you do act A and it causes consequence B. Consequence B has been scientifically proven to do this and this which affects humans in this way and denies or contributes to bad effects on human happiness, wellbeing, survival etc. What ever ypou want to call it that is going to make this world a miserable, horrible place and we will slowly deteriorate and not survive.

I can agree with you about human wellbeing as the best way, but not everybody agrees with you or I. Because other people have other ideas of what constitutes the best way, this shows subjectivity; not objectivity.
But the key here as I have been trying to show above is that human wellbeing is not just you or mine opinion. It is a scientific reasoned fact which makes it independent from yours or mine or anyones moral opinion or view. So that means it can show that the persons view who disagrees is wrong becuase it is not you or me that is telling them they are wrong but indpendent facts.

Yes; I’m sure it does seem that way to you, but it doesn’t seem that way to everybody else.
Thats fair enough and I dont deny anyone to have their moral view. But can it be justified and shown to be truly good and right. Is there a measure we can use to find this out. Most people use something about how the moral act effects humans as a measure for whether it is good or bad and I believe this is a natural thing to do. So if we have views that are negatively affecting humans most of us will say this is wrong.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just believing that the sky is not blue, does not mean that it is not actually blue. So it is with God, just believing that He is not your creator and judge, does not mean that He is not actually your creator and Judge.
Doesn’t mean he is either.
Not in America, you can still use corporal punishment on your children. My parents used it on me and I was in the upper 10 percentile in school.
Can’t speak for when you were a child, but today in many places in the USA, corporal punishment is defined as child abuse
It is on record that Hitler was Catholic and was never excommunicated from the Catholic Church. Even the Nazi belt buckles had religious inscriptions on them

Nazi Artifacts: Mementoes, Badges, Pins and Painting

Why would the third reich inscribe “God is with us” on their belt buckles if they rejected God? Hitler even mentioned God in his book Mein Kamph; claiming he is doing the lords work by protecting us from the Jews. Doesn’t sound like someone who rejected God, to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
So you’re saying in middle east Asia, they had technology and then they lost it? How did this happen, and what proof do you have of this?

I don't have proof, but we do have evidence in the ancient document of Genesis.

ken: Did they loose the technology of refrigeration, only to get it back later? Because with all those animals in the ark for 100 days, what did they eat? After a few days; vegetation would spoil and meat would rot! So how did they keep fresh food for the animals to eat?
Vegetation they could grow and keep alive on the ark, meat you can smoke and salt to preserve it. Or they may have taken in extra prey animals for the predators and fed those to them.

ken: The same would apply to the oceans as well.
After the flood the ocean was very low salinity but over time it became more salinized as explained in the article.

ken: The bible says “and God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. If not the Sun and the moon, what are these two great lights he is speaking of here? Because as you know; there is a big difference between making something vs clearing the path of something already made so it becomes visible. So what were these two great lights he made at this time?

No, as I explained the Hebrew word you are translating as made, can also mean made visible. They are the sun and moon after the dust and debris was cleared by the solar wind and they became visible. It would better translated, "and God made visible two great lights....." The stars, sun, moon, and planets were created prior to day 1 in Genesis 1:1.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
When it comes to objective morality there are not many positions and that is what I am talking about. You said there are more than one objective position for objective morality. That cannot be otherwise it is undermining an objective moral position. You said "each of those examples must be taken on a case by case basis because there are too many exceptions to the rule" Saying there are exceptions to the rule is acknowledging there is an objective position. That means those exception have to be determined as justified or unjustified to that rule or objective. If they are not justified then they are not moral. If they are justifiedthenthis does not mean that this is a different morel view. The person still has the view that the moral rule or objective hold its position. They just allow a rare exception on moral grounds becuase the exxception may be breaching another objective moral that also needs to be upheld. All the other exceptions which would be classed as subjective views are ruled out. That still upholds objective morality.

Everyone does not have to agree for it to be an objective moral position. They can still keep their subjective view if they want. IT is just saying that their subjective view has been shown to be not the best moral position and the objective moral position has. We have been doing this for years. Just about everyone agrees that killing, stealing, raping, child abuse are wrong. WE show this by the laws we have. We know this because if we did not stop these things our societies would fall into disorder and anarchy and it would cause a lot of problems and threaten our survival. Those who disagree are rare and we say they are wrong by the fact we have the laws. We will punish them and put them in jail if they breach these laws.

It may well do such as a personal moral view. But can that be justified. Will science show it is bad for others and society or even the person themselves.

I already have several times. Morals can only apply to conscious humans and conscious humans have a certain state that needs to be upheld for them to thrive and live a happy life otherwise it can effect everyone and society and threaten our survival. It is better to have a happy world than a miserable world. Humans have known this since the beginning of time and that is why we restrict certain moral acts. Science can show as a fact what certain moral acts do that lead to threatening our existence for the victim, the perpetrator and society.

So when someone says that they believe their moral view is OK we can measure that on how that effects people and either promotes of denies wellbeing. If they say they dont care about all that it still shows their position as bad for the wellbing of others which has already been determined as the best and necessary position if we are to have a happy world and survive. Even so we can also show how it affects them and expose their position as being wrong for themselves which is a illogical moral position to have and brings into question their ability to understand right from wrong. .

People can disagree about whether slavery from money is good or bad but it does not answer "is slavery for money truly bad". I was trying to differentiate between subjective and objective moral view. Yes your view about slavery for money is your view and the next person can have their view and so on. But when you debate whether it is good or bad how do you determine who is really right, (objectively right). Under subjective morality you cannot ever really know and therefore it is just a useless circular debate that has no ultimate conclusion.

Why even debate about it as each person would just counter the other with any subjective belief about slavery for money. You could not say to someone else who said enfoorcing young girls into sexual slavery so they can make money is bad. You can only say it is a different view from yours. The moment yoy say it is wrong you are appealing to an objective standard of meeasurement.

We seem to to have a communication breakdown. I am not saying there are no subjective moral views and that people have no right to have them. For the reasons I have given above I say there is also an objective moral position that we can measure those subjective views against. We live by an objective moral position everyday when we top others from doing certain moral acts becuase it is against the law. We live objective morals when we try to argue that our moral position is right and the other person is wrong and should be stopped, we live objective morals when we react badly as though it is an injustice to someone who steals against us or who attacks our family or abuses our children.

I have many times including above. I am beginning to think you are just ignoring this or not understanding things.

It can be regarded as wrong when it destroys the very fabric that holds our society together and threatens our survival. This is also an evolutionary fact when they say that certain moral positions were determined as best so that they allowed people to live tgether in harmony otherwise the conflict from these acts would disrupt things and cause conflicts which wil lead to harm and threaten our very survival. So we can measure these concequences through sciences like human behavior, psychology, cause and effect, neurology, etc.

These findings are scientific facts that we have known and built up over decades and are getting better at it. IE you do act A and it causes consequence B. Consequence B has been scientifically proven to do this and this which affects humans in this way and denies or contributes to bad effects on human happiness, wellbeing, survival etc. What ever ypou want to call it that is going to make this world a miserable, horrible place and we will slowly deteriorate and not survive.

But the key here as I have been trying to show above is that human wellbeing is not just you or mine opinion. It is a scientific reasoned fact which makes it independent from yours or mine or anyones moral opinion or view. So that means it can show that the persons view who disagrees is wrong becuase it is not you or me that is telling them they are wrong but indpendent facts.

Thats fair enough and I dont deny anyone to have their moral view. But can it be justified and shown to be truly good and right. Is there a measure we can use to find this out. Most people use something about how the moral act effects humans as a measure for whether it is good or bad and I believe this is a natural thing to do. So if we have views that are negatively affecting humans most of us will say this is wrong.

I remember the first time I saw a movie called “Guess who’s coming to dinner” staring Sidney Portier. I saw it perhaps 20 years ago, but the movie was made in perhaps the mid 1960’s. If I remember correctly, Sidney Portier played the role of either a college professor, or some type of professional who was approx in his mid 30’s and his girlfriend was a white lady who was either his student or one of his subordinates, approx. late teens to early 20’s in age. After knowing each other for approx 2 weeks, they decided to get married, and upon meeting her parents, the only thing the parents could find to complain about was the fact that he was black and she was white.
The fact that she was his subordinate, didn’t matter
The fact that he was too old for her didn’t matter
the fact that they only knew each other for 2 weeks and didn’t know each other long enough to get married didn’t matter; the only thing that mattered was their race.

I thought this was absurd but then I realized I was judging mid 20th century actions by 21st century standards.

Today we would see all types of wrong with their relationship, and none of it would be due to race; but in 1965 an older boss going after his younger subordinate, was pretty much standard procedure; and society saw nothing wrong with it. Were they wrong then? Or are we wrong today.

But that was just half a century ago; what happens when you go back several thousand years? The men who wrote the scriptures saw nothing wrong with Human sacrifice; as a matter of fact, it was seen as a nobel act of martyrdom. Today if some cult were sacrificing live people during their religious rituals, we would be outraged! But if I remember correctly, the Christian plan of salvation included human sacrifice; Jesus being the sacrifice for the sins of mankind. This indicates the God of Christianity obviously saw nothing wrong with human sacrifice. Was they wrong then? Or are we wrong now. If some moral issues are objective, and some subjective, how do you know which is which?

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I remember the first time I saw a movie called “Guess who’s coming to dinner” staring Sidney Portier. I saw it perhaps 20 years ago, but the movie was made in perhaps the mid 1960’s. If I remember correctly, Sidney Portier played the role of either a college professor, or some type of professional who was approx in his mid 30’s and his girlfriend was a white lady who was either his student or one of his subordinates, approx. late teens to early 20’s in age. After knowing each other for approx 2 weeks, they decided to get married, and upon meeting her parents, the only thing the parents could find to complain about was the fact that he was black and she was white.
The fact that she was his subordinate, didn’t matter
The fact that he was too old for her didn’t matter
the fact that they only knew each other for 2 weeks and didn’t know each other long enough to get married didn’t matter; the only thing that mattered was their race.

I thought this was absurd but then I realized I was judging mid 20th century actions by 21st century standards.

Today we would see all types of wrong with their relationship, and none of it would be due to race; but in 1965 an older boss going after his younger subordinate, was pretty much standard procedure; and society saw nothing wrong with it. Were they wrong then? Or are we wrong today.

But that was just half a century ago; what happens when you go back several thousand years? The men who wrote the scriptures saw nothing wrong with Human sacrifice; as a matter of fact, it was seen as a nobel act of martyrdom. Today if some cult were sacrificing live people during their religious rituals, we would be outraged! But if I remember correctly, the Christian plan of salvation included human sacrifice; Jesus being the sacrifice for the sins of mankind. This indicates the God of Christianity obviously saw nothing wrong with human sacrifice. Was they wrong then? Or are we wrong now. If some moral issues are objective, and some subjective, how do you know which is which?
The science we use today to determine something being bad for humans are based on facts and until there is something that can show that these facts are wrong they will stand. As opposed to the pagan beliefs about human sacrifice which were based on belief and as many people who are against religion will say religion is not based on science and cannot be validated. So we can take an act like rape or child abuse and know that it is wrong by measuring the damage it causes physically, mentally and psychologically.

The physical damage has always been obvious as people get physically hurt. The psychological damage has only been measured in modern times. But that does not mean people were not psychologically damaged back in the past. In Greek and Roman times they thought mental illness came from the gods. So it was around but today we understand things better just like everything. We are sequencing human DNA, we are operating on brains, do microsurgery, psychotherapy and we just know things better and why and how things affect humans.

As for Christianity and sacrifice, there is no sacrificing in Christianity. The sacrifice of Jesus for our sins is completely different to the pagan sacrifice of children to a god for better fertility while having bisexual orgies around a fire of burning human flesh. Christs sacrifice was a one off and final sacrifice paid as a price for all sins. Christ rose again from the dead to live eternally with God in heaven. He defeated death forever. So there was a great reward at the end. God is the essence of good itself and acts by humans cannot be compared.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't have proof, but we do have evidence in the ancient document of Genesis.
And how do you know those who wrote the ancient documents of Genesis were being truthful?
Vegetation they could grow and keep alive on the ark, meat you can smoke and salt to preserve it. Or they may have taken in extra prey animals for the predators and fed those to them.
Animals will eat many times their weight in food over a 100 day period, thus most of the animals on the Ark would have to be for food. But the bible doesn’t say anything about most of the animals on board being used for food, does it.
After the flood the ocean was very low salinity but over time it became more salinized as explained in the article.
Why did the Ocean became more salty, but not the lakes?
No, as I explained the Hebrew word you are translating as made, can also mean made visible. They are the sun and moon after the dust and debris was cleared by the solar wind and they became visible. It would better translated, "and God made visible two great lights....." The stars, sun, moon, and planets were created prior to day 1 in Genesis 1:1.
But the bible doesn't say he made visible two great lights; it says he made two great lights. Are you claiming the bible translation is wrong?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The science we use today to determine something being bad for humans are based on facts and until there is something that can show that these facts are wrong they will stand. As opposed to the pagan beliefs about human sacrifice which were based on belief and as many people who are against religion will say religion is not based on science and cannot be validated. So we can take an act like rape or child abuse and know that it is wrong by measuring the damage it causes physically, mentally and psychologically.
Not all rape or child abuse causes damage physically, mentally, or psychologically. Consider the following examples;

A 19 yr old and a 17 yr old living in Nevada can have a consensual sexual relationship, but if they crossed the border into California and did this, it becomes rape.

In Washington State any physical punishment or force a parent bestows upon their child is considered child abuse; only the police are allowed to use physical force/punishment with your child.; Go to Alabama, and use physical force/punishment to an extent, is not child abuse. Are you telling me science has determined the same act that causes psychological damage in California will not in Nevada? Or will cause damage in Washington State, but not in Alabama?

As for Christianity and sacrifice, there is no sacrificing in Christianity.
Read Hebrews 10:10. The bible disagrees with you.
The sacrifice of Jesus for our sins is completely different to the pagan sacrifice of children to a god for better fertility while having bisexual orgies around a fire of burning human flesh.
You are not qualified to speak for all of the religions that fall under the category of Pagan

Christs sacrifice was a one off and final sacrifice paid as a price for all sins. Christ rose again from the dead to live eternally with God in heaven. He defeated death forever. So there was a great reward at the end. God is the essence of good itself and acts by humans cannot be compared.
So human sacrifice is okay only when your guy does it? No! The guys who wrote the scriptures had no problem with human sacrifice; today you do so you try to make excuses to justify it when your guy does what you criticize others for doing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Actually Hitler believed that the so-called 'lesser races' evolved from animal ancestors but Aryans were divinely created.
Maybe so, but they got their moral standards from evolution not the Bible which is my main point.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not all rape or child abuse causes damage physically, mentally, or psychologically. Consider the following examples;

A 19 yr old and a 17 yr old living in Nevada can have a consensual sexual relationship, but if they crossed the border into California and did this, it becomes rape.
Yes but it is still consensual between the two that are involved in the act. Consider the dictionary meaning of rape The crime, typically committed by a man, of forcing another person to have sexual intercourse with the offender against their will.
rape | Definition of rape in English by Oxford Dictionaries

It is by force and against the will of one person normally the women and therefore involves a struggle and resistence that can lead to physical harm. Becuaase it is against a persons will there is trauma and psychological harm.

In Washington State any physical punishment or force a parent bestows upon their child is considered child abuse; only the police are allowed to use physical force/punishment with your child.; Go to Alabama, and use physical force/punishment to an extent, is not child abuse. Are you telling me science has determined the same act that causes psychological damage in California will not in Nevada? Or will cause damage in Washington State, but not in Alabama?[/quote] ccording to the science it does long term damage regardless of what some states think. They oviously either didnt look at the science or are basing their views on an obscure definition that is not supported by the science. Some rule that a mild tap on the backside is OK if it is used with other measures like explanations about right and wrong. But there is a fine line between a tap and someone going overboard becuase it can often be done in anger.
The Science Is In. Spanking Children Does Serious, Long-Term Damage

Read Hebrews 10:10. The bible disagrees with you.
Hebrews 10:10: By which will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
That actually supports what I was saying about Christs sacrifice being a one off with a greater purpose. Christ did not die and actually came out of the sacrifice better off alive and able to live forever defeating death itself. We all came out of it better off so it was a bit like a soldier sacrificing his life for the squad for a greater cause. We see it in Hollywood movies all the time with the hero giving his life to save the world.

You are not qualified to speak for all of the religions that fall under the category of Pagan
Your right I dont know enough about all the practices of pagan religions. But I can say in sacrificing children that it seems wrong to do. The taking of the life of a child who cannot speak for themselves is wrong.

Compared to Christs sacrifice the children did not come back to life. They believed that certain things would come from the sacrificing such as better crops, becoming more furtile and powerful. In the end those who did the sacrificing ended up worse off as history had shown. We know today that humans can be deluded by their beliefs in certain mystical rituals as a cure for things and encourage them to go to the doctors where science has been proven to work.

So human sacrifice is okay only when your guy does it? No! The guys who wrote the scriptures had no problem with human sacrifice; today you do so you try to make excuses to justify it when your guy does what you criticize others for doing.
Like I said it was a different kind of sacrifice just like soldiers do in war to save our country.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe so, but they got their moral standards from evolution not the Bible which is my main point.

Trying to get moral standards from the ToE is like trying to get groceries from a car wash. You would have to be seriously confused about its purpose.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes but it is still consensual between the two that are involved in the act. Consider the dictionary meaning of rape The crime, typically committed by a man, of forcing another person to have sexual intercourse with the offender against their will.
rape | Definition of rape in English by Oxford Dictionaries

It is by force and against the will of one person normally the women and therefore involves a struggle and resistence that can lead to physical harm. Becuaase it is against a persons will there is trauma and psychological harm.
Statutory rape is still rape.

to the science it does long term damage regardless of what some states think. They oviously either didnt look at the science or are basing their views on an obscure definition that is not supported by the science. Some rule that a mild tap on the backside is OK if it is used with other measures like explanations about right and wrong. But there is a fine line between a tap and someone going overboard becuase it can often be done in anger.
It doesn’t have to be spanking; if you physically restraint your child that is child abuse. If you child wants to go to his friends house, and you physically prevent him from doing that, that is abuse. If he goes, and you lock the door so he can’t return, that is child neglect.

Not everything that is put under the category of rape, abuse, or neglect should be put under those categories, and they are not all addressed by science. But even if they were, that doesn’t make it morally wrong.

Hebrews 10:10: By which will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
That actually supports what I was saying about Christs sacrifice being a one off with a greater purpose. Christ did not die and actually came out of the sacrifice better off alive and able to live forever defeating death itself. We all came out of it better off so it was a bit like a soldier sacrificing his life for the squad for a greater cause. We see it in Hollywood movies all the time with the hero giving his life to save the world.
When the virgin willfully allowed herself to be thrown into the volcano to appease the Gods, she was brainwashed into thinking she was sacrificing herself for a greater cause, and securing herself a ticket to paradise as well! How is this different?

It doesn’t matter if it is a child or an adult; any type of human sacrifice for religious purposes is WRONG!!! Do you agree?

Like I said it was a different kind of sacrifice just like soldiers do in war to save our country.
Soldiers don’t sacrifice their lives for their country, as a matter of fact, they get specialized training and equipment to make sure they don’t die!

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Doesn’t mean he is either.

True, but there is a large amount of evidence for His existence.

ken: Can’t speak for when you were a child, but today in many places in the USA, corporal punishment is defined as child abuse
Yeah, it is another example of how we are abandoning the Constitution, especially our First Amendment freedoms. Right now primarily in Democratically controlled states.

ken: It is on record that Hitler was Catholic and was never excommunicated from the Catholic Church. Even the Nazi belt buckles had religious inscriptions on them

Nazi Artifacts: Mementoes, Badges, Pins and Painting

Why would the third reich inscribe “God is with us” on their belt buckles if they rejected God? Hitler even mentioned God in his book Mein Kamph; claiming he is doing the lords work by protecting us from the Jews. Doesn’t sound like someone who rejected God, to me.
You do understand how politicians work don't you? Since most of the German people considered themselves Christians, he had to pretend to be a good German Christian. If he had revealed his true feelings to the public he would never have been elected. But the fact is even from childhood he hated Christianity. His childhood friend August Kubizek said that when he was a youth he never went to mass even though his devout mother begged him to go with her. Then as an adult prior to becoming a politican he said "I myself am a heathen to the core." And after he became Fuerher he said in private that Christianity is a religion for slaves and that he hated the moral teachings of Christianity, according to Oxford historian Allan Bullock.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.