The problem of Objective Morality. and why even biblical speaking it is subjective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
actually no one know how a creature can evolve into other kind of creature

That's not what the theory of evolution proposes, or has ever proposed.

For the third time, you have proven that you don't even know what it is you are attempting to criticize. Like all creationists. Thank you for continuing to make an example of yourself.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
(Ken)
IOW there is no answer that you would find suitable.

(TRR)
This response is from either:
A.) a very ignorant person
B.) a person so consumed with revenge that he/she has lost some touch with reality (akin to road rage.)
C.) an ersatz atheist and clown who is having another “white whale” moment to save face in a debate the he/she has performed woefully in.

I think we both know what the answer to this is.
The answer is D.) none of the above.
I responded that way because it was the truth. For you, there is no way of knowing if anything is objective, but for myself (and 99.9% of the population) there is a way of knowing; which I’ve explained countless times already, but for you it would be impossible considering the standards you require. Fortunately I have no need to convince you that you are more than a “brain in a vat”, that your sensors are working correctly, your experiences are real, or whatever else you find necessary in order to know reality. That is the reason I responded the way I did.

As far as your racist reference “white male moment” it’s a shame your ignorance had to bring your bigotry into the conversation; in future discussions try to be a little better than that. Agree?

Upvote 0

Thomas Richard-Roy

Jan 22, 2019
Illinois
✟17,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I responded that way because it was the truth. For you, there is no way of knowing if anything is objective, but for myself (and 99.9% of the population) there is a way of knowing; which I’ve explained countless times already, but for you it would be impossible considering the standards you require. Fortunately I have no need to convince you that you are more than a “brain in a vat”, that your sensors are working correctly, your experiences are real, or whatever else you find necessary in order to know reality. That is the reason I responded the way I did.

As far as your racist reference “white male moment” it’s a shame your ignorance had to bring your bigotry into the conversation; in future discussions try to be a little better than that. Agree?

Ken,

Some see the answer as E.) the first three above.

I responded that way because it was the truth.

Are you back to faith statements again? As I’ve stated many times, whatever faith you choose is of no concern to this debate. However, you are choosing to be dishonest, especially with yourself, by “assuming” and “believing” that your experiences are objective truth, when you deny the Christian the same standards. This is not worthy of an honest “skeptic.”

For you, there is no way of knowing if anything is objective, but for myself (and 99.9% of the population) there is a way of knowing; which I’ve explained countless times already, but for you it would be impossible considering the standards you require.

You have made it crystal clear that you lack the ability to infer from a point and here is no different. I have explained how a subjective being can have true knowledge of objective truths, not your blind faith assumptions, but, you either do not understand what I wrote, or you are incapable of understanding it. Either way, your conclusion is flawed.

Fortunately I have no need to convince you that you are more than a “brain in a vat”, that your sensors are working correctly, your experiences are real, or whatever else you find necessary in order to know reality. That is the reason I responded the way I did.

If you were inquiring honestly, which is doubtful, the answer is “still there.” If you are serious (doubtful) about how a subjective being can have knowledge of objective truths, look further into what I wrote and attempt to understand the answers that I’ve provided. However, we both know that you are not serious.

Hysterical! Now you are moralizing! Is there no end to your hypocrisy?

Oh, regarding the specifics of your moral statement, it would be wise for you to reread what you find sinful. Perhaps you will read it correctly this time.

Respectfully,

T R-R

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ken,

Some see the answer as E.) the first three above.

I responded that way because it was the truth.

Are you back to faith statements again? As I’ve stated many times, whatever faith you choose is of no concern to this debate.
You define the term “faith” as to simply believe, remember? Which makes the term meaningless. Why do you insist on the use of such a meaningless term?
However, you are choosing to be dishonest, especially with yourself, by “assuming” and “believing” that your experiences are objective truth, when you deny the Christian the same standards. This is not worthy of an honest “skeptic.”
I’ve only denied Christians imaginary experiences as objective truth; I’ve never denied their physical experiences as objective; and the same applies to myself as well.
(Ken For you, there is no way of knowing if anything is objective, but for myself (and 99.9% of the population) there is a way of knowing; which I’ve explained countless times already, but for you it would be impossible considering the standards you require.
(TRR)You have made it crystal clear that you lack the ability to infer from a point and here is no different. I have explained how a subjective being can have true knowledge of objective truths, not your blind faith assumptions, but, you either do not understand what I wrote, or you are incapable of understanding it. Either way, your conclusion is flawed.
No; to you it is humanly impossible to know something as objectively true, which I find absurd. I mean; let’s face it; you can’t go to the moon, mars, and other such places based on subjective beliefs; some things require objective facts! However according to you, such knowledge is impossible. If you want to believe this, fine; but don’t expect anyone else to.
Hysterical! Now you are moralizing! Is there no end to your hypocrisy?
If I said something offensive, point it out to me and I'll apologize and try to do better next time. I was just pointing out that it would be good to have a conversation without racism, bigotry, and other such ignorance getting into the conversation. Do you agree? If so; that’s all I ask.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Ed1wolf said:
The multiverse has many problems. First, there is no empirical evidence that these other universes exist. It is basically a mathematical construct. Second, it is a case of the "gamblers fallacy". If you are standing in front of a firing squad and they all fire shots at you and yet none hit you. What would you think? Well it is quite obvious that someone has intentionally tampered with the guns or the shooters all intentionally missed you. Would you think it was all just an accident? No, that would be an irrational conclusion, so it is with the universe that supports human life. We exist because Someone as intentionally rigged the scenario.

efm: No, really. You're having a hard enough time as it is defending your moral philosophy. You can stop pretending to know more about astronomy than the experts. It's embarrassing.

No one who has a clue what they're talking about thinks the anthropic principle is evidence for a 'creator'. You will never see that outside creationist propaganda mills. It is, at best, an utterly arbitrary observation to make on that behalf. You could pick out any other feature of the universe - the amount of hydrogen molecules, to pick one example out of trillions - and make the exact same argument, that the universe is 'fine tuned' for this amount of hydrogen molecules.
No, It would take very little fine tuning to produce hydrogen molecules. The fine tuning to produce humans is extreme and magnitudes greater than to produce any other thing in the universe. And then you have the fact that the solar system and the earth is in the perfect location to see almost the entire history of the universe. Coincidence? Unlikely.

efm: In fact, you'd have a better case, since hydrogen molecules are much, much more abundant than life. The only reason you've chosen 'life' out of trillions of other candidate features is that it happens to be important to your theology.
Yes, they are much more abundant and therefore require very little fine tuning.

efm: And you have the fallacy exactly backwards. You are a rain puddle, marveling at how the hole you are in must have been made with you in mind, because you fit into it so neatly. When in fact it's the other way around - you adapted to fit into the hole that was already in place.
No, your analogy assumes that the water already exists, the odds against life are so great it is rather that first the water has to come into existence on its own before it can form a puddle. Studies have shown that the odds for life coming into existence through unguided processes is basically zero.

Upvote 0

Thomas Richard-Roy

Jan 22, 2019
Illinois
✟17,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You define the term “faith” as to simply believe, remember? Which makes the term meaningless. Why do you insist on the use of such a meaningless term?

I’ve only denied Christians imaginary experiences as objective truth; I’ve never denied their physical experiences as objective; and the same applies to myself as well.

No; to you it is humanly impossible to know something as objectively true, which I find absurd. I mean; let’s face it; you can’t go to the moon, mars, and other such places based on subjective beliefs; some things require objective facts! However according to you, such knowledge is impossible. If you want to believe this, fine; but don’t expect anyone else to.

If I said something offensive, point it out to me and I'll apologize and try to do better next time. I was just pointing out that it would be good to have a conversation without racism, bigotry, and other such ignorance getting into the conversation. Do you agree? If so; that’s all I ask.

Ken, alas, like your logic we are going in circles.

Obviously, you are serious when dismiss higher education as “not in the real world” as this portion of your post is clear evidence of an uneducated person. Perhaps you should look up the definition of “faith.” I’m guessing that even Wikipedia will teach you something. However, I do also realize that you expect that you can define all of the definitions. Otherwise it is not honest debate.

Hopefully, it will be good news to you to know that I wholly accept that you are a convinced believer in the humanist faith. Therefore, you do not need to posit any further demonstrations of what your faith believes; your credibility as a believer in the humanist faith has been established.

This is hysterical because this is the closest statement in our conversation to the equation 1+1=3. That irony is profound! (Then again, contradictions in your statements have become the norm.)

T R-R: “subjective beings can have knowledge of objective truths and “X” is the only intellectually tenable solution to this dilemma.”

Ken: “subjective beings can have knowledge of objective truths and “X” is the only intellectually tenable solution to this dilemma” = T R-R holds that it is “impossible to know something as objectively true.”

This is further hysterical nonsense. Perhaps you are trolling but, if not, you are apparently more confused than I imagined. If you are not trolling, it would be wise for you to attempt to understand what you wrote and attempt to understand what my reply means.

Regarding “I was just pointing out that it would be good to have a conversation without racism, bigotry, and other such ignorance getting into the conversation,” what would be wrong with these?

Also, I realize that you have regularly attempted to enter straw men into the conversation and that here is another example of your deflection but, what, specifically, do you find “racist, bigoted, or other such ignorance?”

Respectfully,

T R-R

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, It would take very little fine tuning to produce hydrogen molecules. The fine tuning to produce humans is extreme and magnitudes greater than to produce any other thing in the universe. And then you have the fact that the solar system and the earth is in the perfect location to see almost the entire history of the universe. Coincidence? Unlikely.

Yes, they are much more abundant and therefore require very little fine tuning.

No, your analogy assumes that the water already exists, the odds against life are so great it is rather that first the water has to come into existence on its own before it can form a puddle. Studies have shown that the odds for life coming into existence through unguided processes is basically zero.

No, really. You're having a hard enough time making a case for your moral philosophy. You have zero hope of demonstrating assertions like 'the fine tuning to produce humans is extreme and magnitudes greater than to produce any other thing in the universe'. You are engaging in extremely basic fallacious reasoning that the experts are trained to avoid - assuming that carbon based life is the only possible form of 'life', among many other rudimentary flaws. Really, you can stop pretending to have a clue what you're talking about with regard to cosmology.

I encourage anyone reading along to study what actual researchers have said about the anthropic principle. If your only source is creationist propaganda mills like Answers in Genesis, you will learn less than nothing. You wouldn't go to a lawyer to fix your toothache, so don't go to theologians or apologists for science.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Obviously, you are serious when dismiss higher education as “not in the real world” as this portion of your post is clear evidence of an uneducated person.
No; I don’t dismiss higher education that way, I dismiss YOUR (so called) higher education that way. When you claim to be of higher education, yet spit out a bunch of nonsense that is not used in the real world; what else am I supposed to call it? I don’t need a PHD to recognize B.S. when I hear it!
Hopefully, it will be good news to you to know that I wholly accept that you are a convinced believer in the humanist faith. Therefore, you do not need to posit any further demonstrations of what your faith believes; your credibility as a believer in the humanist faith has been established.
Why is it whenever I have these types of conversations with you guys, you almost always eventually get to the point of insisting I use faith, or have some type of religion. Why is that? Why do you guys seem to struggle with accepting I am no more than I claim to be? Why do you have to try to make me out to be like you? I’M NOT!!! If you told me you believe some bearded guy who lived in the clouds is looking over everybody’s shoulder keepin’ score; I would accept that as what you believe! Why can’t you do the same for me? When I tell you what I don’t believe, you feel a need to create a belief and accuse me of believing it! Why do you guys insist on doing this? Could it be because as an atheist I don’t have to defend anybody’s beliefs and actions other than my own? But as a Theist it is your job to defend absurd claims, and you don’t want to be the only one in the conversation to have to do this? C’mon tell the truth! Why???
T R-R: “subjective beings can have knowledge of objective truths and “X” is the only intellectually tenable solution to this dilemma.
But how can a subjective being get knowledge of objective truth and X? Oh yeah; only via communication from whatever IS a true reference point; right? But who is this true reference point? Lemme guess….. Humm…. perhaps YOUR concept of God? Not anybody else's concept of God, or those who don’t communicate with God’s at all; only yours and those who share your belief; right??? So according to you, Christians are the only ones on Earth capable of knowing objective truth, because their God only communicates to them, nobody else! But then, as a human, how do you know your idea of God is a true reference point? How do you know he is not lying to you??? Oh yeah; FAITH!!! Look Chief! If you want to believe you and your kind know everything and nobody else does; that’s cool but don’t expect everybody else to.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thomas Richard-Roy

Jan 22, 2019
Illinois
✟17,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No; I don’t dismiss higher education that way, I dismiss YOUR (so called) higher education that way. When you claim to be of higher education, yet spit out a bunch of nonsense that is not used in the real world; what else am I supposed to call it? I don’t need a PHD to recognize B.S. when I hear it!

Why is it whenever I have these types of conversations with you guys, you almost always eventually get to the point of insisting I use faith, or have some type of religion. Why is that? Why do you guys seem to struggle with accepting I am no more than I claim to be? Why do you have to try to make me out to be like you? I’M NOT!!! If you told me you believe some bearded guy who lived in the clouds is looking over everybody’s shoulder keepin’ score; I would accept that as what you believe! Why can’t you do the same for me? When I tell you what I don’t believe, you feel a need to create a belief and accuse me of believing it! Why do you guys insist on doing this? Could it be because as an atheist I don’t have to defend anybody’s beliefs and actions other than my own? But as a Theist it is your job to defend absurd claims, and you don’t want to be the only one in the conversation to have to do this? C’mon tell the truth! Why???

But how can a subjective being get knowledge of objective truth and X? Oh yeah; only via communication from whatever IS a true reference point; right? But who is this true reference point? Lemme guess….. Humm…. perhaps YOUR concept of God? Not anybody else's concept of God, or those who don’t communicate with God’s at all; only yours and those who share your belief; right??? So according to you, Christians are the only ones on Earth capable of knowing objective truth, because their God only communicates to them, nobody else! But then, as a human, how do you know your idea of God is a true reference point? How do you know he is not lying to you??? Oh yeah; FAITH!!! Look Chief! If you want to believe you and your kind know everything and nobody else does; that’s cool but don’t expect everybody else to.

Ken, sadly you’re at it again.

No; I don’t dismiss higher education that way, I dismiss YOUR (so called) higher education that way. When you claim to be of higher education, yet spit out a bunch of garbage that is not used in the real world; what else am I supposed to call it? I don’t need a PHD to recognize B.S. when I hear it!

This is “priceless.” On what grounds do you “dismiss [my] (so called) higher education?” What degree do you possess whereby you are qualified to make determinations that “my” education is not to par? And, this speaks to your arrogance since this indictment also includes the University and the Doctoral Board who granted my PhD. Hysterical! You really don’t know when to “come in out of the rain.” If you only realized that the further this discussion goes on you appear more and more childish.

Of course, when the uneducated term what is “spit out” from the educated class as “garbage and B.S.” is because the uneducated have no idea what they are discussing. On what grounds can you claim that anything is B.S.? What education can you demonstrate makes you qualified to determine this? The only answer, once again, is that you make the definitions. I hope that you come to some semblance of sensibility because you’ve sufficiently demonstrated that you have no idea what you are discussing. You’ve justified your faith by “belief” and “assumption” and you’ve provided no basis whereby you can demonstrate that your “belief” and “assumption” are based in objective truths. These are the simple facts from our discussion. I do appreciate the laughs though.

While I cannot speak for anyone else who clearly understands you better than you do yourself, the answer to why I call you a person of faith is simple. It is because you are a person of faith. While I’ve come to know that you only understand the world when you dictate the terms, nonetheless, those of us in the “unreal world, with subpar educations (as determined by Ken)” have to justify our positions. I know, I know, that PhD standard is too strict for the kindergarten set but, it is the standard that our universities, our legal system, our medical system, etc. are based upon. Alas, poor Ken, you don’t get to make the rules. As I began with my first response to your first post to me; the rules equally apply to you.

Sadly, as hard as you try, you do not get to make the rules. In fact, you clearly are not educated enough to even have a say. And, since the rules equally apply to you and due to the fact that you’ve only posited “assumption in empirical experiences” and “belief in your perceived experiences” and that “just because you know something doesn’t mean you are right, it only means you perceive it as truth; which means you could still be wrong” the only truly logical, non-B.S., non-garbage, etc. conclusion to draw is that since you have no basis to know that you are holding that these subjective truths are objectively true, is by faith. It is clear that you were not raised well enough to be honest with yourself but, that does not change the only logical conclusion to be drawn from your words.

But how can a subjective being get knowledge of objective truth and X? Oh yeah; only via communication from whatever IS a true reference point; right?

What other way can you offer? And, whatever you offer must withstand the same scrutiny. I have subjected my positions to the same scrutiny as I expected of you. Sadly, you have not reciprocated.

But who is this true reference point? Lemme guess….. Humm…. perhaps YOUR concept of God? Not anybody else's concept of God, or those who don’t communicate with God’s at all; only yours and those who share your belief; right??? So according to you, Christians are the only ones on Earth capable of knowing objective truth, because their God only communicates to them, nobody else! But then, as a human, how do you know your idea of God is a true reference point? How do you know he is not lying to you??? Oh yeah; FAITH!!!

This was actually pretty good inference from you. Sadly, your conclusions have many flaws but, this is better than anything else that you’ve written.

Look Chief! If you want to believe you and your kind know everything and nobody else does; that’s cool but don’t expect everybody else to.

Sadly, your childish behaviors rear their ugly head again. I haven’t “expected” anything of you other than that you live by the same standards that you demand of the Christian. And, to date, you’ve failed to live to the same standards. Again, it is of no consequence to me what your faith is but, I do expect you to have some semblance of integrity. I’m still hopeful for that.

Respectfully,

T R-R

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This is “priceless.” On what grounds do you “dismiss [my] (so called) higher education?” What degree do you possess whereby you are qualified to make determinations that “my” education is not to par?
The fact that you would claim I have no way of knowing my chemical actions are interpreting data correctly, that I have no way to know my experiences are real, when I look at a blue car how do I know I’m not looking at the Eiffel tower; and countless other absurdities. Those are the grounds for which I dismiss your (so called) higher education. As I said before; I don’t need a PHD to recognize B.S. when I see it; sometimes the response is all I need to know.
And, this speaks to your arrogance since this indictment also includes the University and the Doctoral Board who granted my PhD.
I'm sure you've made them proud! (rolls eyes)
(Ken) But how can a subjective being get knowledge of objective truth and X? Oh yeah; only via communication from whatever IS a true reference point; right?
(TRR)What other way can you offer? And, whatever you offer must withstand the same scrutiny.
I offer that you and your scrutiny are wrong, mankind does know what which is objective; if we did not, it would be unknowable. The claim that your imaginary friend knows it and shares this information with you only, (and those who think like you) is actually quite comical.
While I cannot speak for anyone else who clearly understands you better than you do yourself, the answer to why I call you a person of faith is simple. It is because you are a person of faith.
And THAT is your problem. You assume because you have a PHD that you know better than I know what goes on in my head; You DON”T!!!
I believe it was Bertrand Russell who said it best:

The problem with society is that it is always the fanatics and fools who are so sure of themselves, and it is only the wisest among us who are actually aware of how little we really know!

Perhaps if you did a little less dictating, and a little more listening; you too can become the wises among us and realize how little you really know. (ain't holdin' my breath though)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.