The problem of Objective Morality. and why even biblical speaking it is subjective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hey hey :)

Lets continue and move on to another example. Lets say you and i are enjoying each others company while we gaze at a starry sky. I see a comet blaze in the sky and you do not.

I state that i just saw a comet - which you did not.

How do you test my statement?

Cheers
I can't test your statement, so I would likely take your word for it.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Ed1wolf said:
Fraid so, it is called reasoning. Without reasoning science is impossible.
ken: Reasoning alone is not good enough; there has to be evidence.
I didn't say to use reasoning alone, but you use it on the evidence. Such as when you see effects, you reason to the cause even if the cause may not yet be empirically observed, like the examples I gave you.

Ed1wolf said:
I never argued that the bible should be part of science, I just said that there is scientific evidence of its divine origin.

ken: Most Bible scholars estimate Moses lead 2.5 to 3 million people out of Egypt and they wondered in the Desert for 40 years. Yet there are no evidence of millions of people wondering in any of the deserts of that area for that long. That lack of evidence is evidence against the claims of the Bible.
First, some scholars believe the million part of the numbers is a copying error. Hebrew numbers are very easily miscopied. But even if it is not, they never built any permanent structures and did not have to prepare food since they were eating manna. So there is unlikely to be anything left after all these years. Most things such as shoes and clothes and bodies would have decayed away in 3500 years or they may have carried their relatives bodies with them to the Promised land so no burials would have been out in the desert.

ken: What scientific evidence do you have that the Bible is divine?
It is the only religious book whose teachings about the three main characteristics of the universe have been confirmed by science. That the universe had a definite beginning out of nothing detectable by humans, that the universe is expanding, and that the universe is energetically winding down.

Ed1wolf said:
So what? People are people. What is your point? Having slavery doesn't affect good educational principles, they are valid whether the students are segregated or integrated.
ken: You act as if people back then were better than we are now. I'm just pointing out that they weren't.
In some ways they were and in some ways they were not. They definitely did a better job of teaching reading and writing, with a 98% literacy rate and no mass cheating and killings at schools. No schools in the US are doing that well now in those areas.

Ed1wolf said:
Black holes, dark matter, eclipses, and many other things.

ken: Those are not the result of a leap of logic, there was evidence that lead to those things.
Just like reasoning to God's existence, those discoveries were made just knowing the effects caused by them without being able to empirically observe the causes but coming to the right conclusion about the cause only by reasoning.

Upvote 0

Thomas Richard-Roy

Jan 22, 2019
Illinois
✟17,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't believe you would make such an absurd claim. Go back to the post when you asked that question and you will see not only did I answer your question, but I did so in detail; giving examples.

So..... Why does Ken believe one book is true, and the other false? That's the question that needs to be answered.

Is Ken trying to convince the Christian what to believe? No; it's the other way around. IOW your argument fails.

You have yet to prove we are subjective beings, and you have yet to prove we lack the ability to differentiate between objectivity and subjectivity. That’s where you need to start.

Ken, obviously you've bowed out. While I wish that you will take stock of the contradictions in you belief system, I am doubtful that you will since I see that you are arguing science in another post. Your faith is strong, but flawed by your own standards; or at least the standards that you demand from Christians.

I wish you the best,
Respectfully,
T R-R

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
)What “absurd claim” did I make?
You said I would say christians are wrong to believe what the Bible says without explaining WHY the bible is wrong. First of all, I don’t go around telling religious people not to believe in God; (I’ve seen some people so messed up they need a religion to keep them in line) I tell them why I don’t believe in God; and I gave examples remember?

(Ken)So..... Why does Ken believe one book is true, and the other false? That's the question that needs to be answered.
(your reply)This is a clear attempt at a straw man by you; you are changing the topic.
No straw man, I’m just exposing the absurdity of your example. You said I read a book and call it real, then another person reads a book he calls real and I call it false; and you act as if I have no justification to call his book false. You need to look into why I called the other book false.

(Ken) Is Ken trying to convince the Christian what to believe? No; it's the other way around. IOW your argument fails.
(your reply)Sadly, here too, is yet another contradiction in your position. It seems that it is totally lost on you that you are attempting to impose your values on others. Aren’t you in fact trying to convince others that it is wrong to convince others what to believe? The answer is a clear and unambiguous yes.
No I’ve never said it is wrong to try to convince others what to believe. Care to try again?

Apart from the fact that I have proven that we are subjective beings and that I have proven that we cannot differentiate between objectivity.
No, On post #1962 you said:
This is a very fair question and I promise that we can go into this, but doesn’t it make sense to complete the first order of the debate before moving onto this? Again, I will absolutely debate this with you.

those were your exact words. Needless to say you never answered my question, now you are claiming you actually answered them. Priceless!!!

(You utterly failed to address my “chemical reactions” point.
I responded to that point on post #1958. Now return the favor and answer mine.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Ed1wolf said:
Eyes are for seeing, ears are for hearing, legs are for walking, and etc.

dgw: Those are functions.

To make them "purposes" you have to have an intending-consciousness, which for now at least, is entirely a matter of faith.
No, function is whether it fulfills its purpose. If an eye is blind, it's purpose is still to see, but it is not functioning, ie fulfilling its purpose.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No, function is whether it fulfills its purpose. If an eye is blind, it's purpose is still to see, but it is not functioning, ie fulfilling its purpose.
Function is what a thing does.
Purpose is what an intending mind wants it to do.

Once you can show me the intending mind behind legs or leaves, then I'll believe they have purpose, and not just function.

Upvote 0

Thomas Richard-Roy

Jan 22, 2019
Illinois
✟17,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You said I would say christians are wrong to believe what the Bible says without explaining WHY the bible is wrong. First of all, I don’t go around telling religious people not to believe in God; (I’ve seen some people so messed up they need a religion to keep them in line) I tell them why I don’t believe in God; and I gave examples remember?

No straw man, I’m just exposing the absurdity of your example. You said I read a book and call it real, then another person reads a book he calls real and I call it false; and you act as if I have no justification to call his book false. You need to look into why I called the other book false.

No I’ve never said it is wrong to try to convince others what to believe. Care to try again?

This is a very fair question and I promise that we can go into this, but doesn’t it make sense to complete the first order of the debate before moving onto this? Again, I will absolutely debate this with you.

those were your exact words. Needless to say you never answered my question, now you are claiming you actually answered them. Priceless!!!

Ken, I say this with respect, but this post is clearly a Captain Ahab moment for you. You are apparently losing your senses as you attempt to “save face” in this debate. I hope that you can take a few moments to reflect upon your self-refuting “answers” and also realize that you are now simply dodging. It seems that you have either not reading all of my posts, or you are not comprehending what I am saying. Regardless, I ask you to please attempt to answer my questions.

Regarding this specific quote, which is, again, a change of topic, you previously wrote that my argument “fails” because Christians try to convince others “what to believe” and that you don’t do this. While it is obvious that you are missing the implications of what you write, nonetheless, the point in fact is that you, in fact, are trying to convince others what to believe.

You write “You said I would say christians are wrong to believe what the Bible says without explaining WHY the bible is wrong,” but this is:
  1. Irrelevant.
    1. It is irrelevant because the topic is whether or not you are proselytize or not.
      1. The quality of the proselytizing is irrelevant
        1. To the atheist this should be even more so. If an atheist is convinced that there is no God, then why would they care if a Christian, or anyone else, proselytizes?
      2. You are either confused or obfuscating.
      3. “Why” is irrelevant to whether or not you perform the same action you criticize others for.
  2. Refuting your original point.
    1. You seem to miss that you are moralizing when you attempt to justify the reasons that you perform the action that you criticize others for. (Justifying is to show reasons why one is right)
    2. On what basis would (why) a Christian proselytizing be “wrong?”
      1. Your original point is that objective morality is unknowable, why then do you moralize?
      2. If you cannot demonstrate (your standard) that it is truly morally wrong to proselytize, then you’ve contradicted yourself, again.
        1. It is irrelevant as to whether or not what a person is proselytizing about is “truth” or not.
        2. Say, for the sake of the argument and even though you have not even come close to demonstrating this, the Bible was false. What makes that “wrong” to attempt to make others believe that it is true?
        3. You can only answer this by a moral statement that you expect others to believe and live by.
      3. “Explaining WHY the bible is wrong” is another attempt at obfuscation. Your “why” answers have been thoroughly refuted by your own statements. You have already admitted that you could be wrong. How, if you know that you could be wrong do you persist in the self-delusional notion that your possibly wrong answers refute any point?
        1. The answer is that your faith is strong and, like some Christians, you feel compelled to proselytize.
        2. What are the reasons that you choose to participate in a Christian debate forum?
          1. The answer is simple and it is not because you are here to enlighten yourself.

Here again, you are either missing the point or obfuscating. You write that I act as if you “have no justification to call his book false,” yet, your own answers refute your premise. It is amazing that you don’t see the real absurdity; which are your contradicting statements and positions. Therefore, to change the topic from Ken admits he could be wrong and yet persists in positing that he is right, to a topic of why Ken is right, is clearly a straw man. Don’t you see your contradiction here?

Additionally, when you write “You need to look into why I called the other book false” you, again, are totally missing the point or obfuscating. This statement of yours, “You need to look into why I called the other book false” is a positive statement by you that you believe to be the “real” issue. What makes this the real issue? You don’t seem to realize that you accept a certain axiomatic starting point, (unproven beliefs of yours), and from that point demand that the real issues derive from it. This is hypocritical of you. It is obvious and simple; you believe that you are right in how you interpret your existence and you expect others to reason from you. To put it another way, you are the center and reality flows from you. This is the very definition of subjectivity.

Regarding your “justifications,” how do they truly justify anything when you, by your own admission, admit that you really don’t know whether those justifications are true or not? It is crystal clear that you are arguing that your faith is better than another’s faith.

Alas, once again, there is no need to try again. Sadly, you continually seem to miss the inferences from your own points, or you know that you are contradicting yourself and are obfuscating. When you wrote “Is Ken trying to convince the Christian what to believe? No; it's the other way around. IOW your argument fails,” What did you mean? The inference to be drawn from “Is Ken trying to convince the Christian what to believe? No; it's the other way around” necessarily means that (your point to me, or what you wanted to convince me of), is that what Christians do, (you specifically pointed out proselytizing), is to attempt to convince others what to believe and you do not and this somehow, and in some way negates my point. In other words, (this is a paraphrase of the meaning behind your words) “T R-R, don’t you get that because Christians proselytize and I don’t and that your point fails because of this?” To put it another way, “your point fails because proselytizing is morally wrong. Don’t you get this? Can’t you see T R-R? What are the reasons I am not convincing you of this?” On what basis does proselytizing cause any position to fail? (Unless one, like you are doing now, was proselytizing.) Clearly a straw man.

This is clear and unambiguous that you are “guilty” of the same behavior that you criticize the Christian for. (To attempt to posit the sophomoric “I’m just stating my positions” is childish and dishonest.) This point is either way, way over your head and you are oblivious to the consequences of your own positions, or you are being obstinate and blindly holding to your faith.

Sadly, here too, you apparently are missing whom the joke is really on. Firstly, your attempt at mockery demonstrates that you are not sincere in your debating; rather, this is clearly more akin to “trolling.” Let us do an actual examination of your mockery:

• T R-R responds to Ken’s post where he specifically writes points that are directly pertinent to the T R-R’s point that we are subjective beings and that subjective beings cannot differentiate between objectivity and subjectivity
  • Ken totally misses the point that T R-R writes; it goes way over his head
  • Ken asks T R-R to make the case for the point that he’s already made the case for
  • T R-R states “This is a very fair question and I promise that we can go into this, but doesn’t it make sense to complete the first order of the debate before moving onto this? Again, I will absolutely debate this with you.”
  • Later, T R-R addresses Ken’s question.
    • This is the very definition of “I promise that we can go into this, but doesn’t it make sense to complete the first order of the debate before moving onto this,” or to address Ken’s question at a later time.
    • T R-R is completely consistent
    • Ken’s mockery is, to which Ken is oblivious to, upon himself
  • Ken, misses that:
    • T R-R already did answer Ken’s question
      • Totally missed point by Ken
    • T R-R addressing the point later
      • This is completely consistent with what T R-R stated
      • Ken mocks T R-R for being consistent (not inconsistent)
Sadly, you, apparently, don’t realize that you’re behaving childishly and foolishly by attempting to mock someone else and that you’ve in fact mocked yourself.

Once again you are confused or obfuscating. Your answers in post #1958, combined with all of your answers, are self-contradicting. Therefore, the best and most charitable rendering of your responses are to say; that you have faith and that faith is what justifies and makes your positions true.

Since you have no substantiated justifications and no substantiated demonstrations of objectivity, the logical conclusion to come to is that you are a person of faith. How do you not see this?

While you won’t publicly admit this, (and, even more sad, you won’t admit this to yourself), you’ve, nonetheless, de facto, admitted that you are a person of faith by the fact that you state that you “could be wrong” in your positions and, yet, cling to them as objective truth. Clearly, is it your personal pride and apparent low self-esteem that won’t permit you to face this and admit it.

Regarding returning the favor and answering your questions, again it is customary to conclude one point of debate before beginning a second point. However, it is clear that you’ve lost this part of the debate and wish to “turn the tables” by scrutinizing my positions. Since you are stubbornly persistent in your dogma and refuse to be honest to this debate, or yourself, I again refer you to my post #1957, which answers your question. (Please let me know if you need further explanation of it.)

Post # 1957 “To know objectively is to know via some reference point that is able to differentiate objectivity from subjectivity. You, and I for that matter, being subjective, finite beings wholly lack this ability. Therefore, to postulate any concept as objective truth can only be discounted as not a serious intellectual position, but rather a faith statement. Knowing objectivity necessarily means that one can point to, cite, etc. a frame of reference where “all creation” (for lack of a better term) is subjected to it.”

Respectfully,

T R-R

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
(You)
You write “You said I would say christians are wrong to believe what the Bible says without explaining WHY the bible is wrong,” but this is:

1 Irrelevant.

1 It is irrelevant because the topic is whether or not you are

proselytize or not.

(Ken)
As I said before, I do not.

(You)
The quality of the proselytizing is irrelevant

* To the atheist this should be even more so. If an atheist is convinced that there is no God, then why would they care if a Christian, or anyone else, proselytizes?

(Ken)

(you)
*You are either confused or obfuscating.
*“Why” is irrelevant to whether or not you perform the same action you criticize others for.

(Ken)
But in the context of the point you made, it was revenant.

(You)
Refuting your original point.
*You seem to miss that you are moralizing when you
attempt to justify the reasons that you perform the action that you criticize others for. (Justifying is to show reasons why one is right)

(Ken)
I have not criticized anyone for doing anything I have done myself.

(You)
On what basis would (why) a Christian proselytizing be “wrong?”

(Ken)
I never said it was wrong to proselytize, that’s just some stuff you keep making up.

(You)
Your original point is that objective morality is unknowable, why then do you moralize?

(Ken)
No; my original point is that objective morality does not exist; morality is subjective.

(You)
*If you cannot demonstrate (your standard) that it is truly morally wrong to proselytize, then you’ve contradicted yourself, again.

(Ken)
No, I do not demonstrate it is morally wrong to proselytize because I don’t believe it is morally wrong to proselytize. Of course had you been listening to what I actually say rather than make assumptions about me, you would have known that by now.

(You)
*It is irrelevant as to whether or not what a person is proselytizing about is “truth” or not.
*Say, for the sake of the argument and even though you have not even come close to demonstrating this, the Bible was false. What makes that “wrong” to attempt to make others believe that it is true?

*You can only answer this by a moral statement that you expect others to believe and live by.

*“Explaining WHY the bible is wrong” is another attempt at obfuscation. Your “why” answers have been thoroughly refuted by your own statements. You have already admitted that you could be wrong. How, if you know that you could be wrong do you persist in the self-delusional notion that your possibly wrong answers refute any point?

*The answer is that your faith is strong and, like some Christians, you feel compelled to proselytize.

*What are the reasons that you choose to participate in a Christian debate forum?

*The answer is simple and it is not because you are here to enlighten yourself.

(Ken)
The above rant is another example of you going in the wrong direction, with false information and running with it. You seem to want to believe that because I am Atheist, I’m supposed to hate Christians, and hate it when they spread their beliefs. Sorry but I don’t; I know it’s their job and though I don’t agree with what they say, I defend their right to say it.
Oh yeah’ and BTW You have yet to answer my question; prove we are subjective beings, and you have yet to prove we lack the ability to differentiate between objectivity and subjectivity. I’m still waiting for you to respond to that.
I will respond to the rest of your post later when I have more time. In the mean time, try listening to what I actually SAY rather than what you wish I would say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Because it doesn't contain a logical contradiction. You can say that it's something that God wouldn't do, but not something He can't do.
There are other things God cant do that are not logical contradictions, at least that we know of. Such as He can't remove the consequences of sin, ie death. Either you are going to die physically and spiritually or your substitute (Christ) will. And apparently He cannot make another type of universe that is primarily natural law with free will beings existing within it than the one He has.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
How do you justify the views of some of the christians here, especially those who are of the radical reformed denominations? Their views are the most despicable, irrational, and lunatic views i've ever seen.

I just don't get how dense you can be to think that a God who created us to be cursed and to worship him or die is somehow a loving/righteous God who is evident in morality? It makes no sense. and whenever you show how irrational that is they just go "well, we are finite in minds" or "well, you just don't know christ that's why".
I belong to a reformed denomination. I dont know exactly what they are saying, I haven't had time to go the theology forums to see. But God did not create us to be cursed. He created us to glorify Him and enjoy His presence forever. But we rebelled against Him and then became cursed because of the consequences of our sin. But He provided a way out, thru the gift of His son who will be cursed in our place if we let Him. It sounds like whoever these people are, they are somewhat biblically illiterate.

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Ed1wolf said:
Abductive reasoning is "inference to the best explanation for an observation." That is exactly what I did. I observe an effect, ie the universe, and I reason to the existence of the Christian God as the simplest and best explanation for all the characteristics of the universe.

ken: That's find and dandy and all, but let's not pretend that your reasoning has anything to do with science.
Just because my conclusions and interpretation of the scientific data differ from the Establishment conclusions and interpretation of the data, does not mean that my view is unscientific. Many times in the history of science, the majority view has turned out to be wrong.

Ed1wolf said:
No, my point was that the theory of evolution is unfalsifiable and you confirmed it by coming up with another explanation to keep it unfalsified. Which is what all hardcore evolutionists do every time some evidence comes up that does not fit the theory.

ken: Just because humans are no longer evolving does not mean evolution is unfalsifiable. One has nothing to do with the other.
Yes, it does, if the claim that humans are not evolving any more is a way to avoid the falsification of evolution, then it has a great deal to do with it and that is what we were talking about when you came up with that rationalization of the facts.

Upvote 0

Thomas Richard-Roy

Jan 22, 2019
Illinois
✟17,854.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(You)

1 Irrelevant.

1 It is irrelevant because the topic is whether or not you are

proselytize or not.

(Ken)

(You)
The quality of the proselytizing is irrelevant

* To the atheist this should be even more so. If an atheist is convinced that there is no God, then why would they care if a Christian, or anyone else, proselytizes?

(Ken)

(you)
*You are either confused or obfuscating.
*“Why” is irrelevant to whether or not you perform the same action you criticize others for.

(Ken)
But in the context of the point you made, it was revenant.

(You)
Refuting your original point.
*You seem to miss that you are moralizing when you
attempt to justify the reasons that you perform the action that you criticize others for. (Justifying is to show reasons why one is right)

(Ken)
I have not criticized anyone for doing anything I have done myself.

(You)
On what basis would (why) a Christian proselytizing be “wrong?”

(Ken)
I never said it was wrong to proselytize, that’s just some stuff you keep making up.

(You)
Your original point is that objective morality is unknowable, why then do you moralize?

(Ken)
No; my original point is that objective morality does not exist; morality is subjective.

(You)
*If you cannot demonstrate (your standard) that it is truly morally wrong to proselytize, then you’ve contradicted yourself, again.

(Ken)
No, I do not demonstrate it is morally wrong to proselytize because I don’t believe it is morally wrong to proselytize. Of course had you been listening to what I actually say rather than make assumptions about me, you would have known that by now.

(You)
*It is irrelevant as to whether or not what a person is proselytizing about is “truth” or not.
*Say, for the sake of the argument and even though you have not even come close to demonstrating this, the Bible was false. What makes that “wrong” to attempt to make others believe that it is true?

*You can only answer this by a moral statement that you expect others to believe and live by.

*“Explaining WHY the bible is wrong” is another attempt at obfuscation. Your “why” answers have been thoroughly refuted by your own statements. You have already admitted that you could be wrong. How, if you know that you could be wrong do you persist in the self-delusional notion that your possibly wrong answers refute any point?

*The answer is that your faith is strong and, like some Christians, you feel compelled to proselytize.

*What are the reasons that you choose to participate in a Christian debate forum?

*The answer is simple and it is not because you are here to enlighten yourself.

(Ken)
The above rant is another example of you going in the wrong direction, with false information and running with it. You seem to want to believe that because I am Atheist, I’m supposed to hate Christians, and hate it when they spread their beliefs. Sorry but I don’t; I know it’s their job and though I don’t agree with what they say, I defend their right to say it.
Oh yeah’ and BTW You have yet to answer my question; prove we are subjective beings, and you have yet to prove we lack the ability to differentiate between objectivity and subjectivity. I’m still waiting for you to respond to that.
I will respond to the rest of your post later when I have more time. In the mean time, try listening to what I actually SAY rather than what you wish I would say.

Ken, this is sad. My responses were comprehensive and reasoned. Even by Wikipedia definitions my responses could never be categorized as a "rant." You apparently are not comprehending what my points are. It clearly is lost on you that you are proselytizing and you don't even recognize it.

Also, I did answer your question about subjectivity. Apparently you do not (or cannot) comprehend the points. I do hope that your forthcoming responses will attempt to be reasoned and not emotional as they have been.

Respectfully,
T R-R

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are other things God cant do that are not logical contradictions, at least that we know of. Such as He can't remove the consequences of sin, ie death. Either you are going to die physically and spiritually or your substitute (Christ) will. And apparently He cannot make another type of universe that is primarily natural law with free will beings existing within it than the one He has.

How do you know that for a fact?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

the iconoclast

Atheism is weak. Yep, I said it
Feb 10, 2015
✟39,361.00
Country
Burkina Faso
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I can't test your statement, so I would likely take your word for it.

Hello and thank you for all your replies. :)

Lets go further in my friend. Lets say you experience something that is individual and personal, something that is intangible. Something that many may experience but something that may not be material.

How do you verify this experience to yourself?

Cheers

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Here is the rest of it

(First Ken said)

(Then TRR said)
Here again, you are either missing the point or obfuscating. You write that I act as if you “
have no justification to call his book false,” yet, your own answers refute your premise. It is amazing that you don’t see the real absurdity; which are your contradicting statements and positions. Therefore, to change the topic from Ken admits he could be wrong and yet persists in positing that he is right, to a topic of why Ken is right, is clearly a straw man. Don’t you see your contradiction here?

(Ken)
I believe something to be true, while at the same time admitting to the possibility that I could be wrong? People do this all the time! Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

(TRR said)
Additionally, when you write “You need to look into why I called the other book false” you, again, are totally missing the point or obfuscating. This statement of yours, “You need to look into why I called the other book false” is a positive statement by you that you believe to be the “real” issue. What makes this the real issue?

(Ken)
Real issue? What’s that; some more stuff you just made up?? Look; I was just pointing out something you conveniently left out.

(TRR said)
Regarding your “justifications,” how do they truly justify anything when you, by your own admission, admit that you really don’t know whether those justifications are true or not?

(Ken)
More stuff you are just making up; I never said anything like that. Again; why don’t you respond to what I actually said, rather than make stuff up? Humm…. Lemme guess; making stuff up is easier to refute than the stuff I actually said. I think they have a name for that.

(TRR said)
When you wrote “
Is Ken trying to convince the Christian what to believe? No; it's the other way around. IOW your argument fails,” What did you mean?

(Ken)
I was pointing out the person trying to convert has the burden of proof.

(TRR said)
The inference to be drawn from “Is Ken trying to convince the Christian what to believe? No; it's the other way around” necessarily means that (your point to me, or what you wanted to convince me of), is that what Christians do, (you specifically pointed out proselytizing), is to attempt to convince others what to believe and you do not and this somehow, and in some way negates my point. In other words, (this is a paraphrase of the meaning behind your words) “T R-R, don’t you get that because Christians proselytize and I don’t and that your point fails because of this?” To put it another way, “your point fails because proselytizing is morally wrong.

(Ken)
No. Again; my point was the person proselytizing has the burden of making his case. I am not proselytizing so I don’t have such a burden.

(First I said)

(TRR reply)
Once again you are confused or obfuscating. Your answers in post #1958, combined with all of your answers, are self-contradicting. Therefore, the best and most charitable rendering of your responses are to say; that you have faith and that faith is what justifies and makes your positions true.

(Ken)
If you disagree with anything I said, point it out to me.

(TRR)
Post # 1957 “To know objectively is to know via some reference point that is able to differentiate objectivity from subjectivity.

(Ken)
Which as human beings we are capable of doing.

(TRR)
You, and I for that matter, being subjective, finite beings wholly lack this ability.

(Ken)
Perhaps YOU lack this ability, but I don’t.

(TRR)
Therefore, to postulate any concept as objective truth can only be discounted as not a serious intellectual position, but rather a faith statement. Knowing objectivity necessarily means that one can point to, cite, etc. a frame of reference where “all creation” (for lack of a better term) is subjected to it

(Ken)
So once again; you need to prove that I and everybody else (except you) are subjective beings, (whatever that means) and are unable to site a frame of reference that everything is subjected to.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Just because my conclusions and interpretation of the scientific data differ from the Establishment conclusions and interpretation of the data, does not mean that my view is unscientific. Many times in the history of science, the majority view has turned out to be wrong.
(LOL) If you want to believe that, “knock yourself out” But don’t expect me to.

Yes, it does, if the claim that humans are not evolving any more is a way to avoid the falsification of evolution, then it has a great deal to do with it and that is what we were talking about when you came up with that rationalization of the facts.
No; humans not evolving anymore is an observation; not some way to avoid falsification.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hello and thank you for all your replies. :)

Lets go further in my friend. Lets say you experience something that is individual and personal, something that is intangible. Something that many may experience but something that may not be material.

How do you verify this experience to yourself?

Cheers
Personal experience is usually enough to cause me to believe; unless the experience convinces me I'm going crazy....

Upvote 0

Ed1wolf

Dec 26, 2002
South Carolina
✟132,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Ed1wolf said:
Actually it does, just like the universe contains natural laws so also there is evidence that the universe contains moral laws, therefore whatever created the universe was a law giver as Einstein said. So since you did not create the universe you could not create the natural and moral laws of the universe either.

ken: Einstein does not make up the rules.
No, but his thinking and reasoning is very logical. The existence of laws imply a lawgiver. And remember he is considered the most intelligent person who ever lived.

ken: But face it; if your God is a moral law giver, then so am I. Nobody listens to me, nor do they listen to your God; so what’s the difference?
Maybe, but your moral laws are not embedded in the universe like His which have real life consequences if ignored in both in people's physical life and their spiritual life. And millions DO listen to God's commands and try to obey them. Maybe a few besides you listen to your moral rules.

Ed1wolf said:
Because much of it has been confirmed by archeology and also the ancient Hebrews like Moses believed in moral absolutes, such as the belief that not lying is a moral absolute and that God would punish them if they lied. Also, there was no such thing as fiction as we know it in the 14th century BC. The stories may be wrong but the writers did not intentionally write something wrong in ancient times, like novelists do today.

ken: Most Bible scholars agree Moses led somewhere between 2.5 and 3 million Israelites into the desert and they wondered around for 40 years. There isn’t a shred of archeological evidence that millions of people wondered around any desert for that amount of time that many years ago; they left no trail. Archeological evidence works against the Bible not for it.
See my earlier post where I deal with this.

Ed1wolf said:
You cant say that, you can only say that you FEEL like what they did was wrong. Your morality is only based on feelings not objective standards. Just like Adolf Hitler's morality was based on his feelings about what is right and wrong.

ken: Yes. When I say something is wrong, I am speaking about how I feel about the issue which his based on my subjective moral standard. There is no such a thing as an objective moral standard.
If the Christian God exists then there is an objective moral standard, God's moral character which exists outside human minds thereby existing objectively. I am glad you agree that your moral standard is based on the same thing as Hitler's. So why do you condemn him? He was just making decisions based on his feelings like you. He should not be condemned just because his feelings are different from yours.

Ed1wolf said:
Of course, you are free to do that because objective Christian morality commands me to allow freedom of conscience. But you cannot rationally say that something is actually wrong, you can only say that you feel it is wrong, but you have no REAL basis for making that judgement since you dont have an objective basis.
ken: You do the same thing, you just erroneously claim what you feel as wrong to be God's objective moral standard. At most it would be God's subjective moral standard.
No, God's moral standard exists outside human minds so it objectively exists just like animal instincts exist outside human minds so they objectively exist.

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.