The Preppers Diary: What did you do today to prepare...

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
RCI-10x35-houseboat-2.jpg

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
kewl dude! Why not?

I mentioned the dog dental sticks' bag in the other dehydration thread... these bags are made of mylar.
Mylar blocks radio waves to some extent. I've been keeping them for various things...

but thought I 'd mention them here.

Florida has the turnpike and now the full highway/toll roads are Sunpass oriented. When I first bought the device eons ago, it came within a funny (now I know it's mylar) bag...which I kept because it was used to block signals so you could get it home without it triggering any tolls, until you registered it and installed in into the car you wanted (that one was moveable, suction cup car to car one.)

Some say you need extra thickness now because radio and GPS signals and the like are stronger. I can believe that, especially if 5 G passes. (Pray not). The dog chew bags are pretty thick... I might check them out for say a transistor radio (yes I have at least one of them) to see if it picks up signals inside the bag (easier bc you can hear it---or not.)

Maybe that will be "tomorrow's" what did you do today (unless someone else wants to do it first).

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that boat won't fit on top of any vehicle :D

Today I actually unpacked the fresh water hose and the filters I bought for it...dry run... and realized the filter goes onto the faucet not the spout end... I had been wondering about how the filter's pouring end worked. lol BUT this makes total sense because the only water going through the hose is filtered. Smart people.

I also have, in its package, a faucet handle. I learned this trick (to carry one) when I volunteered at the church and they removed the handle to keep "people" from using their water.... yet when I needed to use the water no one knew where the handle was so I bought my own! (Kept the package lol).

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes indeed... hmmm which one... I have several in my BOV (bug out van) :D I have the complete on CDs dramatized, complete NT CDs just reading, Parallel English-Spanish, Parallel Hebrew-Greek-NASB?, two Van Impe Study Bibles, an RC Sproul study, my very first as a Christian KJV red letter edition. ...and several on a BIBLE APP... but I think I missed a few. >blush< hey I'm a former minister's wife lol

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes indeed... hmmm which one... I have several in my BOV (bug out van) :D I have the complete on CDs dramatized, complete NT CDs just reading, Parallel English-Spanish, Parallel Hebrew-Greek-NASB?, two Van Impe Study Bibles, an RC Sproul study, my very first as a Christian KJV red letter edition. ...and several on a BIBLE APP... but I think I missed a few. >blush< hey I'm a former minister's wife lol
Lol, Ok Sister you are covered. I have a small gideons KJV in BOB and a spare full size KJV in my pickup. If I go preach somewhere then I am covered in case I forget my primary KJV lol

Reactions: drjean
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(Can't wait to go full time so I have time to read! Right now all my time is in physical therapy and making the house ready to sell, and fixin everything into the van organized! They have a survey question (nonsense one in philosophy) asking if you could only take 3 items on a deserted island, what would they be? Of course I always had my Bible on the list.

Today I'm dehydrating summer squash mainly.

Also, I bought a short 3-drawer thin stacked plastic tower to fit into the van. It is different because it has "catch" handles. Most anything with a drawer nowdays just slides. These will do well on my BOV (bug out van) bc they won't slide open on a fast turn. Not sure if I'll put it under the bed or replace some clothing bins with it. But nice to have things where I can see them. My disability doesn't work well with deep drawers: not only can I not pull them, but I can't sift through to find something. My brain used to be very organized and since the injury my life has to be that way completely to compensate for the strange way my brain thinks. ;)

The stack drawers will be ideal for the camp items: compass, hand axe, fold shovel, mosquito net, camp utensils, fire starter emergency whistle, snake bite kit etc. The whole thing is probably 1 cubic foot and 3 drawers. NOT for your BOB though rofl...unless you have one like the cartoon with wheels on it.

I'm replacing my round bungee cords with hooks on ends with the flat ones. I'm having to replace the round one every 3-4 months...they stretch out and one shredded into the rubber cording! I'm hoping to have better success with the flat ones. I'll let you know. I do have some flat strapping that isn't bungee/zip line material. I use regular latching, tie through or otherwise with them and I would rather it all be this way, the plastic strapping like on the pallet securements, or webbing material. I have put off checking Harbor Freight for them though.

ONE thing I need to do for a good bug out /prepping item is to replace my wheels on my wheel chair! The ones on there are floor good only... plastic wheels. On wet grass they spin, and won't grip on any non solid flat surface. I need rubber knobby tires. Supposely Northern Tool will have what I need, but I have to take the wheel in to be sure.... perhaps they can come out to the van and see the chair tires there? Anyway, on my list.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I found BIG kale to dehydrate :D
I like the kale... Barbara dehydrates it and puts it into a jar. Every soup and sauce gets a handful.
I just don't like the woody stems.

• Agree
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right I deveined it :D I won't be making much soup I suppose but probably eat like chips... I prefer finger food and to nosh all day long however, my dog needs me to sit and eat 3x a day or he doesn't eat.

I'm actually dehydrating to reduce the size of food containers...and weight... (and availability)...though I don't know what the van weighs fully loaded, I do know the wear and tear of canned food on my hands and back (keep it under the pull out bench.)

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
and if you had your cell phone with you they can find you yet!

Toilet paper. Nope. I'm switching to germicidal hand cleansing wipes... no reason for more than one product...unless you buy RV type paper that disintegrates. I've found >blush< that the wipes cut any smell plus dry more quickly than regular paper---and that they burn well. (Being part Polish I can tell this joke that comes to mind?: how can you tell you're in a Polish neighborhood? By the toilet paper drying on the lines.) Maybe it is true lol

I always heard those were party streamers hung around the toilet.
Must be an intercultural misunderstanding.

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been sensitive to anything but stainless since a toddler. I have most of the cookware mom bought back then! Too much to carry on a van, but a saucepan and small pot & lid. :) I used to teach outdoor cooking (campfire, propane, charcoal) to Scout adults... cast iron... mmmm dump cake! Oh well. Days gone by. If you do buy cast iron, be sure to follow the guidelines for how to... prepare it (season it) use it, clean it and what NOT to do to it... will last til your grandkids.

• Agree
Reactions: pat34lee
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have put together packets of what to do in case of hurricane information and put them into plastic bags (began this last week.) I wanted to get more maps/info brochures from the grocery store but alas they only have them in Spanish. So I will try another store for English as I'm short on them... and soon they will go onto the mailbox flags of each of my "community" neighbors (113 houses)... I wish I could do all several hundred in the other divisions in the development but alas I cannot.

In this packet is a really nifty publication from the city. It has local list of stores, gas stations etc that have back up generator power. In event of electricity going down, you need to know where to go... it's not made available by mail to each resident, nor do I find it online per city... so it's valuable. I had to beg to get enough for my area (from the local CERT center.)

I need to think about developing this for the entire area counties and make them specific for the homeless, for instance... :prayer: where to go, who to call to get there, paperwork for special needs shelters etc.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have put together packets of what to do in case of hurricane information and put them into plastic bags (began this last week.) I wanted to get more maps/info brochures from the grocery store but alas they only have them in Spanish. So I will try another store for English as I'm short on them... and soon they will go onto the mailbox flags of each of my "community" neighbors (113 houses)... I wish I could do all several hundred in the other divisions in the development but alas I cannot.

In this packet is a really nifty publication from the city. It has local list of stores, gas stations etc that have back up generator power. In event of electricity going down, you need to know where to go... it's not made available by mail to each resident, nor do I find it online per city... so it's valuable. I had to beg to get enough for my area (from the local CERT center.)

I need to think about developing this for the entire area counties and make them specific for the homeless, for instance... :prayer: where to go, who to call to get there, paperwork for special needs shelters etc.
good work saint.
A whole new level of prepping.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks! I learned long ago that if I help my neighbors prepare, then the whole neighborhood has a better experience.... this proved out when, during Hurricane Andrew (1992) the neighbor's outboard boat rolled across the top of my roof and broke it up. If I had checked on HIS boat (my long canoe was full of water chained to the fencing---which fencing is the only stretch that didn't blow away ROFL) then perhaps my roof would have stayed on?

IF we can talk to our neighbors about stocking up and preparing, they will be less likely to come to our homes to take from us, and they will also be more likely to band together as a team to protect what they have to survive.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Today I bought errrr received a BOB for me errrr my dog... :D Actually, it was a donation to the Banfield foundation ($45) that rendered a really, really nice heavy duty rubberized velcro closure bag with reinforced clip handles et and contained a nice microfiber roll up dog blanket (blue, my favorite color next to yellow errr I mean the dog's) a natural calming spray, a collapsible water bowl with snap attachment, a cute dog bone poop bag holder with a roll of bags, a small bag of treats, a nice LED flashlight and two clip on straps, a heavy vinyl Important Papers resealable bag and a stack of flip cards for estimating amount of water needed, check off cards for first aid supplies, vet numbers, emergency vet hospital info, chip info etc.

To this (after filling in the data and adding his current health certificate status) I will add some "pants" (what I call diapers but for a dog his size it's a pad that just wraps about his low waist), his fav treats, a bottle of water, a day's kibble, some dehydrated rice, a favorite toy, a picture of him, me, my contact info, his first aid kit, an extra collar & short leash, his spare pair of "sockers" (my version of foot protectors for him)...

I mean this bag is about 2' tall and 10" 'wide" (it's round). Large in the idea of having to fit it into the van, but I will downsize one of his other tote bags of stuff and put this with the emergency first aid kit (for humans) and my CERT bag.

REALLY FUNNY---->>> When I opened the bag of goodies I invited him to join me on the sofa and check it all out. Then, when I began placing them on the floor to take a picture for you guys, before I could finish (dog bowl missing yet?) HE brought a ball and dropped it where you see it in the first pic! ROFL. (See shadow in second)IMG_2003 (2).jpg IMG_2004 (2).jpg

Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0