The Preppers Diary: What did you do today to prepare...

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds good GG. Wish we had started that early. We wanted to. We started in about 2012. We have things on the shelves, mostly rice, from back then. We open these older items once and a while just to test and cycle. Have not run into anything bad yet.
Doing good for a city garden GG. We have a 100 by 400 foot lot out in the rural area. We have about 1/4 of it dedicated to garden. If we could do the front yard we would double that, but we do not want to rile the neighbors who all have nice mowed and trimed yards. The back 100 feet is wooded forest. We are eyeing.
Trouble is, we are in our 60s and can barely keep up with the garden we have.... hard work. But good hard work. We are battling vine borers, slugs, and squash bugs at this time. Also because of the heat and occasional afternoon storm we are running into irregular watering which of course results in some cracked tomatoes. Not complaining... the Lord is good!

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
About this much on a daily basis. The beans are done... but we replanted. Those are the last of the winter squash.
DSCF3360.JPG

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trouble is, we are in our 60s and can barely keep up with the garden we have.... hard work. But good hard work. We are battling vine borers, slugs, and squash bugs at this time. Also because of the heat and occasional afternoon storm we are running into irregular watering which of course results in some cracked tomatoes. Not complaining... the Lord is good!
I resemble that remark! But it's fun to keep trying - we aren't all the way worn out yet!

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I haven't purposely saved seeds for a few years, but I remember seeing a guide about what types of seeds need what kind of environment for storage. It might be an easy google search. Most everything I stored back then lasted a year, corn and beans lasted longer. I had tight lidded seed-saver containers. I remember there being a concern to put a dessicant in with the seeds that it got them too dry to live.

• Informative
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I haven't purposely saved seeds for a few years, but I remember seeing a guide about what types of seeds need what kind of environment for storage. It might be an easy google search. Most everything I stored back then lasted a year, corn and beans lasted longer. I had tight lidded seed-saver containers. I remember there being a concern to put a dessicant in with the seeds that it got them too dry to live.
Seeds for sprouting have the better value imo. Vegetation on the go.

• Friendly
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0