Not open for further replies.

Lucy Stulz

Apr 3, 2013
✟1,937.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

No, what I meant was how could Adam know the "nature" of Alpha Centauri... you know "star" like the Sun or planet like the earth kinda stuff.

Adam clearly could only know about what he saw. It would take a superhuman to be able to actually GET TO Alpha Centauri and who did Adam know that could even be similar to that???

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ya . . . what?

Don't tell me that you are going to Pluto Alpha Centauri.

In the spirit of my youtube movie file, Loudmouth, let's try this again.

When you see the word "star" in the Bible, think of it like you would think of the word "tool."

The context should alert the reader as to what specific object is being referenced.

There is a [tool] that drills holes ... there are [stars] that wander around the night sky.

There is a [tool] that drives nails ... there is a [star] that leads men to a specific address.

There is a [tool] that tightens bolts ... there is a [star] that strikes the earth.

I have a feeling obtuseness is being employed in this conversation by our gallery of ... um .... academic scholars for entertainment purposes.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

When you see the word "star" in the Bible, think of it like you would think of the word "tool."

Only if you do the same with the name "AV1611VET". ;)

There is a [tool] that drills holes ... there are [stars] that wander around the night sky.

There is a [tool] that drives nails ... there is a [star] that leads men to a specific address.

There is a [tool] that tightens bolts ... there is a [star] that strikes the earth.

I have a feeling obtuseness is being employed in this conversation by our gallery of ... um .... academic scholars for entertainment purposes.

Obtuse is a perfect example of your post.

Where is the definition of planet again?

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Funny how you can do that with the word "star" but not with the word "day", isn't it?

The context should alert the reader as to what specific object is being referenced.

You forgot to mention that to the naked eye a planet looks exactly like a star, and perhaps that is what the people who wrote the Bible thought planets were, stars that changed position in the sky while others didn't.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You forgot to mention that to the naked eye a planet looks exactly like a star, and perhaps that is what the people who wrote the Bible thought planets were, stars that changed position in the sky while others didn't.
And we're right back to Square One, aren't we?

What word should be used in Jude 13? in your opinion?

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
And we're right back to Square One, aren't we?

What word should be used in Jude 13? in your opinion?

Sorry AVET, but the word "planet" is old enough to have been used by the authors of the KJV1611 bible, had they translated the earlier term properly. Therefore, they should have used "planet."

Planet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Exactly, but the authors of the KJV1611 bible should have translated it to "planet," since by then they were known to be different from stars.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry AVET,
"No sorries" -- as they say in euchre.

Which passage better describes those who have gone the way of Cain?

A) Jude 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; [wandering stars], to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

B) Jude 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; [planets], to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

... and why?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Exactly, but the authors of the KJV1611 bible should have translated it to "planet," since by then they were known to be different from stars.
Known or not, if the term being employed was meant to be a poetic term ... (and I suspect it was) ... your science can take a hike.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What should we do with the real world around us?
Live in it, but not of it.

John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Live in it, but not of it.

John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

The "world" in this passage is not the world Loudmouth is referring to. But I suspect you already knew that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, its "poetic" when you like, and literal when you like. correct?

Exactly, somehow a 6-day creation with a 7th day of rest (as if an all-powerful deity needed "rest") is not "poetic", but wandering stars are. That is beyond me.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, its "poetic" when you like, and literal when you like. correct?
And to think ... you guys' bologna started way back here at Post #4:
And yet God didn't provide any documentation as to what a Planet is. :sigh:
Or did Adam forget to write that down in English?
Don't tell me the Inquisition isn't dead ... it just went from scroll to clipboard.

I thank God for the first ten amendments to our Constitution.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And to think ... you guys' bologna started way back here at Post #4:

Don't tell me the Inquisition isn't dead ... it just went from scroll to clipboard.

I thank God for the first ten amendments to our Constitution.

When the argument fails resort to the good old persecution complex, works every time.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.