United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This bears repeating:
Only four percent of the IAU voted on the controversial demotion of Pluto, and most are not planetary scientists. The vote was conducted in violation of the IAU's own bylaws on the last day of a two-week conference when most attendees already had left. No absentee voting was allowed. Supporters of the demotion resolution violated the IAU's own bylaws by putting this resolution on the General Assembly floor without first vetting it by the proper committee as IAU rules require. Also, many planetary scientists do not belong to the IAU and therefore had no say in this matter. When professional astronomers objecting to the demotion asked for a reopening of the planet debate at the 2009 IAU General Assembly, the IAU leadership adamantly refused. Why would they refuse to reopen a debate unless they were insecure about their stand? Meanwhile, this issue continues to be debated in other venues, such as the 2008 Great Planet Debate, held at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Lab in August 2008 (which I personally attended), the American Geophysical Union, and the European Geophysical Union.

The IAU decision was immediately opposed in a formal petition by hundreds of professional astronomers led by Dr. Alan Stern, Principal Investigator of NASA’s New Horizons mission to Pluto. One reason the IAU definition makes no sense is it says dwarf planets are not planets at all! That is like saying a grizzly bear is not a bear, and it is inconsistent with the use of the term “dwarf” in astronomy, where dwarf stars are still stars, and dwarf galaxies are still galaxies. Also, the IAU definition classifies objects solely by where they are while ignoring what they are. If Earth were in Pluto’s orbit, according to the IAU definition, it would not be a planet either. A definition that takes the same object and makes it a planet in one location and not a planet in another is essentially useless.

Pluto is a planet because it is spherical, meaning it is large enough to be pulled into a round shape by its own gravity--a state known as hydrostatic equilibrium and characteristic of planets, not of shapeless asteroids held together by chemical bonds. These reasons are why many astronomers, lay people, and educators are either ignoring the demotion entirely or working to get it overturned. You can find out more by Googling "Laurel's Pluto Blog."
A decision should not be blindly accepted as some sort of gospel truth because a small number of people decreed it so. The IAU can decree the sky is green, but that doesn't make it any less blue.
One argument often used in favor of demoting Pluto is the fact that another planet was discovered beyond Pluto and that with many more possible small planets in the Kuiper Belt, we could end up with "too many planets" in our solar system. Well, there is no such thing as too many planets. At one point, we thought Jupiter had four moons. Now we know it has 63, and more may be found. Should we limit the number of moons because otherwise, there will be too many to memorize? Should we limit the number of elements in the Periodic Table because kids won't be able to memorize that many? The fact is, memorization is not a very useful learning tool. At one point, we knew little more about the planets than their names and order from the Sun. That is not true today. It is more important that kids understand what distinguishes the different types of planets.

If we use the alternate, broader term that a planet is any non-self-luminous spheroidal body orbiting a star--which many planetary scientists prefer over the IAU definition--we can then use subcategories to distinguish the types of planets. While we previously recognized two subcategories, the terrestrials and the gas giants or jovians, the new discoveries show us there is a third class-the dwarf planets. These are planets because they are large enough to be rounded by their own gravity--a state known as hydrostatic equilibrium--but of the dwarf subcategory because they are not large enough to gravitationally dominate their orbits. In fact, Dr. Alan Stern, who first coined the term "dwarf planet," never intended for dwarf planets to not be considered planets at all. If this one area is amended so the IAU resolution establishes dwarf planets as a subclass of planets, much of the controversy would evaporate.
(Now I don't have to go dig it up from my archives every time I need it. ;))

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wish you explained why you feel the need to constantly bring up this issue. Is it because to you the solar system has to have nine (and only nine) planets?
The solar system can have as many planets as God (not man) chooses.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,638.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The solar system can have as many planets as God (not man) chooses.

And yet God didn't provide any documentation as to what a Planet is. :sigh:
Or did Adam forget to write that down in English?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And yet God didn't provide any documentation as to what a Planet is. :sigh:
What's this then?

Jude 13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.
Or did Adam forget to write that down in English?
That was a little after Adam's time ... but God's translators took care of it.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps the Wham-O Magic Planet Finder(tm) might settle the issue, and do what their Magic Window(tm) did for geology. Or was that geography?
Well, your Wham-O Magic Planet Finder™ shoulda done a better job.

Clyde Thompson got too much credit, didn't he?

And imagine Mr. Lowell, lending his initials to something he thought was another planet.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What's this then?

Jude 13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

That was a little after Adam's time ... but God's translators took care of it.

But they aren't stars at all. I thought it was perfect and literally correct in the english language... why does it say they are "stars?"

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But they aren't stars at all. I thought it was perfect and literally correct in the english language... why does it say they are "stars?"
I believe that was the colloquial term at the time.
... modern scientific sense of "world that orbits a star" is from 1630s.

Source: Online Etymology Dictionary

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually AV is right here. The term used in the original Greek version of that passage is "Asteres Planetai" which literally means "wandering star", but was the term that the Greeks gave to the planets, which is the source of the English word "planet".

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2012
✟15,179.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
At the moment, there are five recognized dwarf planets within our solar system: Pluto, Eris, Haumea, Makemake and Ceres. Ceres is located within the asteroid belt, with the other four found in the Kuiper belt beyond Neptune. As telescopes, both terrestrial and space-based, improve that number will undoubtedly increase.

Personally, I don't see the deal with calling Pluto a dwarf planet. In the field of galaxies, dwarf galaxies outnumber galaxies like our Milky Way by 10-to-1 by some estimates.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I believe that was the colloquial term at the time.

Source: Online Etymology Dictionary

So, its OK for a "star" to really be a planet because of the translation was based on earlier terminology, but the "earth" that was covered by flood waters cannot be the land of the Hebrews despite its earlier terminology... sounds like a double standard to me.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AV--- I trust you. My motto, next to the one in your sig which is my first one is... AV SAYS IT ... THAT SETTLES IT!
Um ...

Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, its OK for a "star" to really be a planet because of the translation was based on earlier terminology, but the "earth" that was covered by flood waters cannot be the land of the Hebrews despite its earlier terminology...
"Star" in the Bible can mean: star (Matthew 2:2), planet (Jude 13), or asteroid (Revelation 8:11).
... sounds like a double standard to me.
Binary stars?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.