fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
I explained that I had my own proof, but could not prove it to you. It doesn't work that way. You will get nowhere questioning others...the matter is personal, between you and our Creator. You can take it up with Him anytime.
Do you write letters to Santa?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I explained that I had my own proof, but could not prove it to you. It doesn't work that way. You will get nowhere questioning others...the matter is personal, between you and our Creator. You can take it up with Him anytime.
Why would someone do that without already believing that the being exists?

Reactions: Davian
Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
You know Davian, today, I was encouraged after reading your posts. I was encouraged and my faith was strengthened by not only the things you have written, but the way you have written them. Yes, not only you, but several others here have greatly encouraged me and strengthened me and I want to say I am grateful to God for causing our paths to cross! Have a great weekend!

I am raising a glass of red wine to you in your honor. Here's to you Davian my friend!
I have read about this, how the religious entrench when challenged, rather than rationally addressing the challenge. Interesting to see it in action.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I choose to be a slave of righteousness as opposed to choosing to be a slave to sin.

Either way, we are all slaves to whatever we obey and are led by.

I could choose to be hateful and cynical towards you right now but I choose not to. I choose to be understanding, compassionate, and kind.

With regards to your last, please read my post here, http://www.christianforums.com/xfa-blog-entry/the-end-of-myself.198587/

Well...if you want to say we're all slaves, that kind of eliminates any meaningful definition of "slave". I would say that a slave satisfies several conditions...

1. A slave is told what to do.
2. A slave faces punishment (usually severe) for not doing as told or trying to escape slavery.
3. A slave is viewed as "less than" or unequal to his master. Usually, this is done by the master claiming ownership over the slave.

Now, it may seem incomprehensible to Americans that a slave might enjoy his position as slave. That he may love his master and believe everything his master says. It's hard to imagine that a slave may give his master credit for anything good that is done and accept blame for any wrong that is done. It wasn't all that unusual though...especially if the slave grew up in his master's house, was taught by the master, and accepted that he was property of his master.

It's a sad situation, because such a slave doesn't even really comprehend freedom. He doesn't understand the world outside of his master's house...so he believes it when he's told there's nothing better for him and that freedom isn't worth what he would lose.

That's the nature of slavery though.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I have read about this, how the religious entrench when challenged, rather than rationally addressing the challenge. Interesting to see it in action.
Agreed, but I'd be even more interested to hear what it was that encouraged him. ^_^

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
OP: I'm sure it's been addressed, but I am an atheist when it comes to any god but the Holy Trinity. I don't believe they exist. That's how atheism originated. People simply don't believe in the existence of gods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Hey bud, whatever it is you wanna call it is ok with me. :)

I call it a breakthrough.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
OP: I'm sure it's been addressed, but I am an atheist when it comes to any god but the Holy Trinity. I don't believe they exist. That's how atheism originated. People simply don't believe in the existence of gods.
Thank you. I don't know why I'm expected to give the benefit of the doubt to someone's god when he or she would never dream of doing the same for any other god.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Then I still do not know what you meant by that word in your post.

You've never used the word love before? No one has ever loved you? You have never loved anyone?

I like Merriam Webster's take on it.

Unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You've never used the word love before? No one has ever loved you? You have never loved anyone?
Perhaps we're just taking ourselves too seriously, but it felt rather like if someone piped up during a standard discussion in my philosophy class and said "Time out! Let's all love each other!" You would get a lot of confused looks, at best. I respond better to relevant and constructive contributions.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I do not understand what you mean by eaten all that chalk.
My bad. I wasn´t aware that this German idiom didn´t translate into English (it´s taken from a Grimm´s fable, where the wolf eats chalk in order to soften his voice). Dictionary says you call it "eating humble pie".

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How can you have truth without evidence?

How can you know something is true without personally experiencing the demonstrated truth?

Are you able to go outside your personal self to see a demonstrated truth?

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would someone do that without already believing that the being exists?
Because there are millions of people who have attested to it since the beginning of recorded history, and the topic of concern is, "Do I want to be in on everlasting life, the next phase of humanity...or am I satisfied with the shorter experience of only living in my physical body?" "A"theist or "B?"

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.