United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Is evidence more important to you than truth?
No. Evidence is important to me because truth is important to me. I would believe a lot of dangerous things if I didn't care enough about evidence.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
If you hold your current position you'll never know because your current position is that when you die you cease to exist and the truth is never found by you personally.
Reflect on this your statement. I´m sure you are able to spot where it´s completely illogical.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So you are saying that the universe we can observe right now is consistent with a universe where there is no God?

I didn't say God has not made himself evident to me. In fact He has, I'm just waiting for Him to make Himself evident to all and I ask Him everyday what I can do to help.

I've already expressed what I feel Him leading me to do. So far well, until we meet again someday. I'm going to go help those who admit they are in need of love and truth.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I didn't say God has not made himself evident to me. In fact He has, I'm just waiting for Him to make Himself evident to all and I ask Him everyday what I can do to help.

Why would we have to wait? Why can't you point to the observable evidence that convinced you?

If there is no such observable evidence, then it would seem to me that the obvious conclusion is that our universe is consistent with one where there is no God.

I've already expressed what I feel Him leading me to do. So far well, until we meet again someday. I'm going to go help those who admit they are in need of love and truth.

How do you know it is a deity doing that?

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I find it interesting you state it is about; "getting it out of your system", like you are the victim of some attack.

You post, people make observations about your posts, others post, you make observations about their posts, that is the way this works. Some can take disagreement in stride, some can't.

And I'm sorry, but relying on what some theists do and claiming non believers are angry and this is why they disagree, is just weak, real weak.

Nah, just want yall to get some stuff off your chest. I'm here to be a listening ear.

I'm your friend and as such want to be here for you all as a friend.

I thank you for sharing with me how you see it. I have had a glorious breakthrough and God has used you all and put you all in my life as good gifts.

Every good and perfect gift comes from above.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the fact that you think something happened isn't proof. I'd be hesitant to believe everything that you think you see/hear/feel.
Without confirmation, I would too. But that is not the case. And I never said I "think" it happened. I know better.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In most conversations, proof and evidence mean that it has to be verifiable by someone else.

So how do I know that you are telling the truth? How do I know that you weren't delusional? What evidence can you present that is independent of yourself and can be verified by anyone who wants to?
I explained that I had my own proof, but could not prove it to you. It doesn't work that way. You will get nowhere questioning others...the matter is personal, between you and our Creator. You can take it up with Him anytime.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I explained that I had my own proof, but could not prove it to you. It doesn't work that way. You will get nowhere questioning others...the matter is personal, between you and our Creator. You can take it up with Him anytime.
Can I find him in the phone book?

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
I explained that I had my own proof, but could not prove it to you.

I explained that there isn't such a thing as "my own proof". It doesn't work that way. If something is proven, then it is demonstrably true. If you can't demonstrate it is true, then you don't have proof.

It doesn't work that way. You will get nowhere questioning others...the matter is personal, between you and our Creator. You can take it up with Him anytime.

What's his email account? Is he doing a road tour that has a Q&A afterwards?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ummm...care to elaborate? How can you "be a slave" to something that you did?

Let's use an easy example. You think stealing is a sin, right? So let's suppose that I visited you at your house, sat on your couch, reached between the cushions and found a fiver. Instead of giving you the money, I pocket it (stealing). I ultimately go on about my day like nothing happened...and for all you know, nothing did happen.

How am I now a "slave" to stealing?

You are a slave to that which made you steal the five.

You are a slave to that.
Lol. Get over yourself.

Indeed you and the others here are helping me to do just that and I thank God for you and I thank you personally.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My mom pulls this same martyr-deflection thing when she's caught. She has borderline personality disorder though.

It used to bother me. Now it's pretty transparent. Let me just say that it's probably having the opposite effect as to what you were hoping.

I am not worthy to be called a martyr, so you do me too much of an honor sir.

Nor am I deflecting, but receiving great things from you and the rest as a result of opening myself up to receive from you all.

The effect thus far is more than I could ever have hoped for and is having not only the effect I was hoping for, but as I said, more than I could have hoped for.

Thank you sincerely.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
He who commits sin does so because he chooses to.
In this context, "sin" is a religious transgression of some sort that one can consciously decide upon. Is that accurate?
He chooses to because he likes to.
For that you would need one of those mind-readin' hats.
Such a one is a slave to their lusts and base passions and prideful estimation of themselves.
I do not relate to this. Are you speaking from personal experience?
He who chooses not to sin but to do what is good and just and pure and Holy does so because they choose to. They choose to because they like to do those things.
From what I gather, even the concept of genocide can be made to fit through these parameters in the mind of the experienced apologist.
He is a slave to righteousness.
The use of the word "slave" implying that this is not choice. But, your religion requires that it be choice, correct?
You forget my friend, that the concept of servitude does not preclude one from voluntarily becoming a slave. We are slaves of whatever we freely choose to be led and mastered by.
In the context of this thread, are you implying that belief - or disbelief - is something we can freely - and consciously - choose?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.