Not open for further replies.

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Perhaps we're just taking ourselves too seriously, but it felt rather like if someone piped up during a standard discussion in my philosophy class and said "Time out! Let's all love each other!" You would get a lot of confused looks, at best. I respond better to relevant and constructive contributions.

I sensed a lot of animosity, a lot of tension and bickering back and forth. That is not how we should treat one another. We should love one another above all. If our high minded and lofty philosophical discussions do not in some way help us to see our fellow man as someone worthy and deserving of love and honor and respect, then while they may be the cause of some small gain in knowledge, they simply are not going to be able to sustain us in reality.

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My bad. I wasn´t aware that this German idiom didn´t translate into English (it´s taken from a Grimm´s fable, where the wolf eats chalk in order to soften his voice). Dictionary says you call it "eating humble pie".

Ahh that's cool haha. I thought it might mean something like that. :)

What specifically in the OP did you want me to talk about?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Because there are millions of people who have attested to it since the beginning of recorded history
So you've gone down the list of other gods and given them the benefit of the doubt?
the topic of concern is, "Do I want to be in on everlasting life, the next phase of humanity...or am I satisfied with the shorter experience of only living in my physical body?" "A"theist or "B?"
Let's not stoop to Pascal's Wager, how about it?

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So you've gone down the list of other gods and given them the benefit of the doubt?

You got 100 different propositions on a page. All of them are mutually exclusive. If proposition 1 is true, then the 99 left are false by virtue of them not being 1.

Follow?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You got 100 different propositions on a page. All of them are mutually exclusive. If proposition 1 is true, then the 99 left are false by virtue of them not being 1.

Follow?
Yes. Since I found 1 to be false, I suppose I should get to work on the other 99.

I should also mention that what you've said here does not accurately represent Scott's reasoning to which I was responding.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Right. If they are all mutually exclusive, then whenever you find the one that is true, boom! You know the rest are false.
Obviously. I'll let you know if that happens.

And again, not what Scott was saying.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Right. If they are all mutually exclusive, then whenever you find the one that is true, boom! You know the rest are false.

Lol how does one determine the "true" religion? Is there an audible "BOOM"?

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I know that you guys are just deliberately pig headed. The atheist doctrine of death is their belief that death is the final end of life, that there is nothing beyond, no resurrection. Also known as the doctrine of pessimistic despair.

Lol aka "the doctrine of pessimistic despair"...who calls it that often enough that it's also known as?

You're the first person I've ever heard name those beliefs. Also...just like all your other examples...those beliefs aren't part of atheism.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
An allegory? I thought you claimed on my thread that was an experience with god that you had....

The people in your allegory only realize the "true religion" once they're in hell. There's no other way?

It is an allegory of my life up until I was born again and shortly thereafter.

Nor does my allegory allow for your interpretation. Some choose the narrow gate. Not many, but some do early on. Some realize the truth while on the broad path and turn back, some, like myself, have to come to rock bottom.

Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Let's not stoop to Pascal's Wager, how about it?
No, I never considered God or other gods, but then in a moment of desperation I called out His name with a capital G, and got an answer. Now I know there are no other gods but One.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
I ask that if you actually want to talk about this, <snip>
What ever would give you the impression that I would want to talk about things in these forums? Maybe I come here only to ask questions, as I did in post 2939, 2942, and 2957, fully expecting in response only a dollop of handwavium.

Now you are inviting me to repeat my questions, while implying that I am using words outside of the common vernacular, with not even a subtle hint that you will hold yourself to this 'transparency' that you alluded to earlier.

Is it your intent that I be Charlie Brown to your Lucy?
View media item 53344

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
You've never used the word love before?
I have , but with the equivocation that is so prevalent in these forums, one must look to the context to see what was implied by how the word was used.
No one has ever loved you? You have never loved anyone?

I like Merriam Webster's take on it.

Unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another
Now why would I want to inoculate my children against that?

Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What ever would give you the impression that I would want to talk about things in these forums? Maybe I come here only to ask questions, as I did in post 2939, 2942, and 2957, fully expecting in response only a dollop of handwavium.

Now you are inviting me to repeat my questions, while implying that I am using words outside of the common vernacular, with not even a subtle hint that you will hold yourself to this 'transparency' that you alluded to earlier.

Is it your intent that I be Charlie Brown to your Lucy?
View media item 53344

Nah, just letting you know that I would rather not talk with someone that is not really serious.

Reactions: ScottA
Upvote 0

anonymous person

Jul 21, 2015
✟67,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have , but with the equivocation that is so prevalent in these forums, one must look to the context to see what was implied by how the word was used.

Now why would I want to inoculate my children against that?

Well, I would hope, for their sake's, that you wouldn't.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
How can you know something is true without personally experiencing the demonstrated truth?

Are you able to go outside your personal self to see a demonstrated truth?
Sure. The veracity of a belief that I can fly without mechanical aid can be quickly established with the use of a moderately tall building. By what means are we to test your "god" beliefs?

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You can't prove that an eternal and infinite rational mind does not exist, as much as you wish you could, you can't.

Unless you yourself are an eternal and infinite rational mind...are you? .

I'm an eternal, infinite, and rational mind. Can you prove I'm not?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.