The only fruit I refuse to eat.

Do you partake of the forbidden fruit of Eden?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No I do not.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Other (explain below).

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Forgive me if this has already been pointed out.

But the whole reason the fruit of the tree of good and evil is depicted in western art (emphasis on western) as an apple is because it works as a Latin pun. The Latin word for "apple" is malum, while the Latin word for "evil" is malum. They're homonyms.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Forgive me if this has already been pointed out.

But the whole reason the fruit of the tree of good and evil is depicted in western art (emphasis on western) as an apple is because it works as a Latin pun. The Latin word for "apple" is malum, while the Latin word for "evil" is malum. They're homonyms.

-CryptoLutheran
Ah... but did you ever wonder why they are the same word???

Maybe they knew something about that perilous fruit!

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Apples? Lol. I thought this was about the fruit of wisdom. That tree isn't around anymore AFAIK. But according to legend, it was a small black fruit that grew in clusters like grapes. Elderberries would be the closest thing to it, I guess.

Apples are good for you. Eat up.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if all those other religious prohibitions also started with one person deciding for himself to not do it on very vague reasons and everyone else just went with it to seem profoundly faithful.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Pride could well be a candidate.

Thinking that knowing the difference between good and bad makes one a god of some kind.

Running to hide when one has dropped the ball
can have it's moments.

"Where are you Adam?"

The same call goes out today to all mankind.

Where are you, how far have you come,

you have been alloted a number of days, hours, minutes, where are you on your journey?

What have you achieved?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, metaphorically, my mind is a garden. I can have my own thoughts and I can entertain the thoughts of others. Sure, I'm with you there. I understand that people can try to deceive me for their own ends. That is where my education that includes logic, and critical thinking comes in. The education and experience that I have acquired helps me "weed out" the bad thoughts that others may attempt to plant in the garden of my mind. If Jesus' mind was only seeded from within he would have been cut off from the world and would miss out on novel ideas and concepts. Imagine yourself in solitary confinement, nourished by whatever means you would like to propose, immobile, and denied contact with anyone. Imagine how empty your life would be. Sounds like one of the worst forms of torture. We thrive when we interact with other people, plants, and animals. Rather than live cut off from all people, maybe he should have taken a bite and expanded his world to see what is out there. I know I would.

father God is the one who transcends me forever and in some sense everything that endures transcends itself. son of God is me as a person and the holy spirit is God immanent as others. though the distinctions are more like a drunken melding.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
a major problem for the nonreligious though it also infects the religious is that they limit their epistemology a great deal. often they don't seem to notice this however the union with God has always been a valid manner of knowing the truth in all religions worth their salt. to reduce it into thinking ti is just our silly beliefs, though sometimes that is true, is to confess you have not tasted of something wonderful quite as much as those that claim to have tasted God have. for those seeking God we find that reality has a great depth to it and therein we drown and become reborn over and over.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
many think that the very simple reality of the universe with its tiny degrees of freedom that some call "objective reality" is something God is limited to when he is the opposite due to the unlimited endless infinite being/freedom that he is. it is from God that this vast reduction of reality into a universe is possible, he is the very source of it and thus to judge God as real or not by a few words in a book so to speak, is just plain silly. humans can know God more than a rock can because they are higher up on the divine mind scale, even though all of reality are divine thoughts.

that many people don't even notice that it is impossible for scientist to understand what matter is since they learn what matter does and not what it is, is very telling as they assume that reality is mindless as a key feature. but reality as mental qualities gives a fuller and simpler explanation for what reality is as it includes the qualia of the mind. it also accounts for how minds exist in the universe meanwhile you have some atheist that even go so far to try to reject ourselves as existing and that we are "less than an illusion". reductionism is such a silly belief!

Upvote 0

Xavier363

Jan 26, 2022
Saskatchewan
✟22,707.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
many think that the very simple reality of the universe with its tiny degrees of freedom that some call "objective reality" is something God is limited to when he is the opposite due to the unlimited endless infinite being/freedom that he is. it is from God that this vast reduction of reality into a universe is possible, he is the very source of it and thus to judge God as real or not by a few words in a book so to speak, is just plain silly. humans can know God more than a rock can because they are higher up on the divine mind scale, even though all of reality are divine thoughts.

that many people don't even notice that it is impossible for scientist to understand what matter is since they learn what matter does and not what it is, is very telling as they assume that reality is mindless as a key feature. but reality as mental qualities gives a fuller and simpler explanation for what reality is as it includes the qualia of the mind. it also accounts for how minds exist in the universe meanwhile you have some atheist that even go so far to try to reject ourselves as existing and that we are "less than an illusion". reductionism is such a silly belief!

Hey, so I realize that you were not responding to my initial statement, that apples are awesome - I like them. I read your posts just now and I'm hoping that you could just state in a sentence or two what your point is. It seemed like a lot of verbiage. Thanks in advance for the clarification :)

Upvote 0

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Apples? Lol. I thought this was about the fruit of wisdom. That tree isn't around anymore AFAIK. But according to legend, it was a small black fruit that grew in clusters like grapes. Elderberries would be the closest thing to it, I guess.

Or perhaps the Fig.

I'm not a big believer in the idea that the cursed fruit is largely symbolic and that it's been diluted to a depiction of an apple, I think if anything that's perhaps whitewashing older knowledge. Or a bit of a translation issue.

A good friend of mine, who I speak to on the telephone on a very regular basis has his own aboretum and seedling nursery business and he hosts a wild and relatively exotic array of cultivated shrubs and saplings. Safe to say, we've got good access to soil of all PH levels and a controllable environment and access to a wide array of botanical and ecological knowledge, not only via the old ways, but with the advent of modern technology such as the internet. Which grants access to connections and fluid logistical purchases.
It's just a matter of getting hold of some of the rarer seedlings of which I mention previously and then we can begin testing.
I think the real question is. Even if it is or isn't the apple. We need to approach this with purpose.
What are we LOOKING for?
That's what we should all be asking ourselves.

I'll update as and when I can.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cute Peonies

I love flowers irl
Jun 21, 2021
Antananarivo
✟48,400.00
Country
Madagascar
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I came across this yesterday

Mark 7:18-19

"Are you still so dull?" He asked. "Do you not understand? Nothing that enters a man from the outside can defile him,
For it doesn’t go into their heart but into their stomach, and then out of the body.” (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods clean.)"

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
a major problem for the nonreligious though it also infects the religious is that they limit their epistemology a great deal.
How so? It seems to me I would have to lower my epistemological standards to believe any religious claims.

often they don't seem to notice this however the union with God has always been a valid manner of knowing the truth in all religions worth their salt.
The problem is that no one has ever been able to demonstrate that their religious "truths' are true?

to reduce it into thinking ti is just our silly beliefs, though sometimes that is true, is to confess you have not tasted of something wonderful quite as much as those that claim to have tasted God have. for those seeking God we find that reality has a great depth to it and therein we drown and become reborn over and over.
Great, but this is not my fault and I see no need to lower my epistemological standards to a point where we can no longer know what is true or not.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Or perhaps the Fig.

I'm not a big believer in the idea that the cursed fruit is largely symbolic and that it's been diluted to a depiction of an apple, I think if anything that's perhaps whitewashing older knowledge. Or a bit of a translation issue.

A good friend of mine, who I speak to on the telephone on a very regular basis has his own aboretum and seedling nursery business and he hosts a wild and relatively exotic array of cultivated shrubs and saplings. Safe to say, we've got good access to soil of all PH levels and a controllable environment and access to a wide array of botanical and ecological knowledge, not only via the old ways, but with the advent of modern technology such as the internet. Which grants access to connections and fluid logistical purchases.
It's just a matter of getting hold of some of the rarer seedlings of which I mention previously and then we can begin testing.
I think the real question is. Even if it is or isn't the apple. We need to approach this with purpose.
What are we LOOKING for?

Jesus spoke of figs as ordinary food. He probably ate them.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Or perhaps the Fig.

What are we LOOKING for?

Fruit.
As you make your bed so you will have to lay on it.

There is a consequence to our actions.

What is the fruit from the tree of knowledge?

Awareness of sin.

"If you were blind you would have no sin."

They, Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit and they became aware........

their eyes were opened.

So would reckon God thought, in that case you have no need for me,

adios amigos and He, the divine presence withdrew to the highest of heavens.

However, He was drawn down again gradually, to manifest Himself at the giving of Torah at Sinai.

Upvote 0

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus spoke of figs as ordinary food. He probably ate them.
Fair enough. The fig is a very troublesome issue anyway, what with cursing of a fig tree via an two of the apostles and it's probably an issue left for another thread. But figs in my opinion are probably not to be scratched off too easily. I'm going to put figs in the maybe pile/realm.

Fruit.
As you make your bed so you will have to lay on it.

There is a consequence to our actions.

What is the fruit from the tree of knowledge?

Awareness of sin.
I disagree. It's the awareness of a channel to sin. Be that fruit or inappropriate contentography or drugs or certain types of music, certain types of smells/shapes etc.

"If you were blind you would have no sin."
A blind man can plan a bank robbery or order the murder of people.

They, Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit and they became aware........
Aware of WHAT???

their eyes were opened.
But they were made in God's image? Is God's eyes closed to the cursed fruit?
If so, then who designed this garden of trickery and cruel delight?
Was Eden Satan's garden, and the apple was Satan's fruit?
Nobody knows.

So would reckon God thought, in that case you have no need for me,
Yeah well I reckon nothing.

adios amigos and He, the divine presence withdrew to the highest of heavens.
He did indeed my friend.

However, He was drawn down again gradually, to manifest Himself at the giving of Torah at Sinai.
We'll see. I guess.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.