The only fruit I refuse to eat.

Do you partake of the forbidden fruit of Eden?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No I do not.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Other (explain below).

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The humble apple.

Why, you might ask?
Why the biblical apple of Eden?
Science dictates an average apple contains fiber and antioxidants, and may help with such physical ailments such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
But does it though?

They say an apple a day keeps the Doctor away. This may be true. But does it keep 'you know who' away? SATAN?
The answer is no.

The 'humble' apple was the fruit that Adam stole to impress Eve. Point being, it was the first fruit, the cursed fruit.
A poem always stuck with me.
'Red, green or anywhere between, trust not of this fruit. Baked in a pie or picked from a tree, the lie grows larger if you share the apple with me. The pie is a lie and so is the apple, but a bite of this fruit and you'll be crying in the chapel.'
It's a poem as old as time, but one that continues to provide wisdom.
Some men lay orchards and groves. Some wives use them for pies.
Those people are weak.

Some may consider my apple-aversion as a bit extreme, but I think it's healthy to avoid such temptations. There's plenty of other fruit we can be growing or eating and at the end of the day it's a deliberate aversion rather than an allergy.

In this day and age it becomes tougher by the day to avoid the consumption of apples, especially with the likes of commercial temples like so called 'supermarkets' and 'mega-malls' selling applies in bulk, or juice companies pulping such juice into cartons and selling them off to ignorant consumers. Apples can be found in fruit salads or mixed in with other refreshing fruit juices microscopically. Apples can be found in flavored 'smoking' vapes and crumbles and strudels and football and television. It might be legal, but it's frustrating.

Check the label. I guess that's what I'm getting at. Or ask whoever it is that's serving you and don't take no for an answer..
'Does this contain apple? If so, get rid of it, I don't want to look at it'.
That's all you need to say.

Now back to the bible.

The apple stole paradise from man. Or more precisely, it was the greed of man that wanted more than paradise (perhaps on the whims of his woman [Eve]) and his bite of the apple took paradise away, or the snake deceived him - knowing that the tempation of man with paradise up his sleeve lacked the one fruit, dangling the forbidden fruit above man, like a carrot above a donkey. Only to be banished.
It's a convuloted story with blame being placed all over the place, but the ultimate lesson is:
Apples are a no go.
Sorry, but no.

These are the first lessons.
And lessons I am sure to never repeat.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is there proof that the fruit was really an apple? It is often depicted that way in art, but I don’t think the Bible actually says anything about apples.

Apple imagery is used in a positive sense in the Song of Songs. We don't know what the fruit in Eden was, but there's good reason to think it probably wasn't any fruit we know today.

Upvote 0

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is there proof that the fruit was really an apple? It is often depicted that way in art, but I don’t think the Bible actually says anything about apples.

Without knowledge of Eden, I choose to believe there's more weight towards the forbidden fruit being an apple rather than any other fruit. It's too much oft repeated to be a coincidence, even Newton complained of a falling of an apple when he discovered 'gravity'.
Even some of the seven (or more) sins have apple related proverbs.

Bad apple. (Sloth)
Apple of my eye. (Lust)
An apple a day keeps the Doctor away (Gluttony)
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. (Pride)
Comparing apples to oranges. (Envy)
How do you like them apples? (Wrath)
Rotten Apple. (etc)

I'm trying to think of other fruit that have been mentioned in the texts, I'll have another delve and return to the thread.

Thank for the reply.

Upvote 0

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
but there's good reason to think it probably wasn't any fruit we know today.

An interesting perspective, some people think the apple or fruit could be a metaphor for hidden knowledge, as in it wasn't a physical, tasty fruit at all, but a temptation or a mirror perhaps, Illuminating the greed of mankind, we had everything, but chose to throw it away like someone on a fruit/gambling machine.
And unfortunately for Adam and Eve, God doesn't like to bet.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The humble apple.

Why, you might ask?
Science dictates an average apple contains fiber and antioxidants, and may help with such physical ailments such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
But does it though?

They say an apple a day keeps the Doctor away. This may be true. But does it keep 'you know who' away? SATAN?
The answer is no.

The 'humble' apple was the fruit that Adam stole to impress Eve. Point being, it was the first fruit, the cursed fruit.
'Red, green or anywhere between, trust not of this fruit. Baked in a pie or picked from a tree, the lie grows larger if you share the apple with me. The pie is a lie and so is the apple, but a bite of this fruit and you'll be crying in the chapel.'
Those people are weak.

Some may consider my apple-aversion as a bit extreme, but I think it's healthy to avoid such temptations. There's plenty of other fruit we can be growing or eating and at the end of the day it's a deliberate aversion rather than an allergy.

In this day and age it becomes tougher by the day to avoid the consumption of apples, especially with the likes of commercial temples like so called 'supermarkets' and 'mega-malls' selling applies in bulk, or juice companies pulping such juice into cartons and selling them off to ignorant consumers. Apples can be found in fruit salads or mixed in with other refreshing fruit juices microscopically. Apples can be found in flavored 'smoking' vapes and crumbles and strudels and football and television. It might be legal, but it's frustrating.

Check the label. I guess that's what I'm getting at. Or ask whoever it is that's serving you and don't take no for an answer..

Now back to the bible.

The apple stole paradise from man. Or more precisely, it was the greed of man that wanted more than paradise (perhaps on the whims of his woman [Eve]) and his bite of the apple took paradise away, or the snake deceived him - knowing that the tempation of man with paradise up his sleeve lacked the one fruit, dangling the forbidden fruit above man, like a carrot above a donkey. Only to be banished.
It's a convuloted story with blame being placed all over the place, but the ultimate lesson is:
Apples are a no go.
Sorry, but no.

If a pastor only uses the bible to talk about good and evil as if the world were black and white, then sticking around to listen to said sermons would be eating the fruit of knowing good and evil.

Upvote 0

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Without knowledge of Eden, I choose to believe there's more weight towards the forbidden fruit being an apple rather than any other fruit. It's too much oft repeated to be a coincidence, even Newton complained of a falling of an apple when he discovered 'gravity'.

Bad apple. (Sloth)
Apple of my eye. (Lust)
Rotten Apple. (etc)

I'm trying to think of other fruit that have been mentioned in the texts, I'll have another delve and return to the thread.

Thank for the reply.
Interesting. I hadn’t realized there were so many apple proverbs.
That reminds me, I noticed that the apple with a bite out of it (the symbol for Apple) resembles depictions of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil. Not sure if that’s a coincidence or if it’s on purpose…

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Bad apple. (Sloth)
Apple of my eye. (Lust)
Rotten Apple. (etc)

Thank for the reply.

I think associating those sayings with sins is quite a stretch. For example, "apple of [the] eye" is a Biblical phrase for that which is precious or protected, and we see it used of God in places like Deuteronomy 32:10 and Psalms 17:8. That's hardly referring to lust or sin.

Upvote 0

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If a pastor only uses the bible to talk about good and evil as if the world were black and white, then sticking around to listen to said sermons would be eating the fruit of knowing good and evil.

An interesting point, please elaborate.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This can't be for real. There is no mention of an apple. This has to be literalism at its worst. Please say you're a troll.

Bad apple. (Sloth)
Apple of my eye. (Lust)
Rotten Apple. (etc)

Thank for the reply.

Those are proverbial sayings not textual. And they're not even a good fit for the seven deadly sins. If you're not a troll, then you need some kind of catechism. I don't mean to hurt your feeling, so forgive me for my presumption, but you are making this up. It's a pretty good job, but not that great.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Interesting. I hadn’t realized there were so many apple proverbs.
That reminds me, I noticed that the apple with a bite out of it (the symbol for Apple) resembles depictions of the fruit of knowledge of good and evil. Not sure if that’s a coincidence or if it’s on purpose…

I think associating those sayings with sins is quite a stretch. For example, "apple of [the] eye" is a Biblical phrase for that which is precious or protected, and we see it used of God in places like Deuteronomy 32:10 and Psalms 17:8. That's hardly referring to lust or sin.

A stretch perhaps, I agree - but the point I was getting at was that 'the apple' is a reoccurring theme, with little mention of other fruits in the bible.
The closest I think is 'fig'?

"6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it. 7 Then the eyes of both of them were opened, and they realized they were naked; so they sewed fig leaves together and made coverings for themselves "

There's probably people who think the forbidden fruit is a 'fig' and I couldn't blame them.

• Informative
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This can't be for real. There is no mention of an apple. This has to be literalism at its worst. Please say you're a troll.

Those are proverbial sayings not textual. And they're not even a good fit for the seven deadly sins. If you're not a troll, then you need some kind of catechism. I don't mean to hurt your feeling, so forgive me for my presumption, but you are making this up. It's a pretty good job, but not that great.

No need to be rude and yes you did hurt my feelings. I'm new here. But no harm done, let's not go off-topic please.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No need to be rude and yes you did hurt my feelings. I'm new here. But no harm done, let's not go off-topic please.

Yep, you're a troll. Cool. Continue.

• Agree
Reactions: ToddNotTodd
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,209.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A stretch perhaps, I agree - but the point I was getting at was that 'the apple' is a reoccurring theme, with little mention of other fruits in the bible.

Seriously?

Besides figs, there are recurring mentions of grapes, pomegranates, dates, melons, and olives. Apples are one of the less thematically prominent fruits of the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The humble apple.

Why, you might ask?
But does it though?

The answer is no.

Those people are weak.

Now back to the bible.

Apples are a no go.
Sorry, but no.

It's also been portrayed as a pomegranate, particularly in medieval art.

As for what fruits we may eat:

Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience, for, “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.” - 1 Corinthians 10:25-26​

If it's good for meat in a Roman market, it's good for all fruit.

I've repeated Adam's sin when I've seen tempting posters at stores and looked again for them anyway. His same failure can manifest in all kinds of different ways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Seriously?

Besides figs, there are recurring mentions of grapes, pomegranates, dates, melons, and olives. Apples are one of the less thematically prominent fruits of the Scriptures.

The Olive tree is one symbol that I wholeheartedly think is the opposite to the apple. Even now the Olive branch represents peace and life. And so may it continue.

Upvote 0

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yep, you're a troll. Cool. Continue.
Genuinely don't know how to reply to this besides the following: The only person derailing this conversation is you. Everyone else is being polite, you're being rude.

If you have nothing to contribute to this thread, there's plenty more elsewhere.

To everyone else, I appreciate the replies.

Upvote 0

Monowhite

Jan 15, 2022
Merseyside
✟12,336.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's also been portrayed as a pomegranate, particularly in medieval art.

A quick google has opened a rabbit hole. I wonder why the people of that time chose pomegranate over the apple?

The Pomegranate : An exploration of the pomegranate's meaning in history, mythology & symbology — NORA KOVATS

It's an ancient fruit it seems. And the above link is a good read.

The exotic looking fruit, Punica granatum, entered the orchards and mythology of the ancient world before most others. The pomegranate is indigenous to modern-day Iran and Northern Africa, from where it spread throughout the Mediterranean region. As I followed the pomegranate’s trail through history and myth and stories, I discovered how omnipresent it really was and still is in our cultural symbology canon.

Not to delve too far abroad, but I found this quote interesting:

In Jewish tradition, pomegranates are traditionally eaten on Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year), as it was believed that pomegranates always have the same number of seeds – 613 – coinciding with the 613 commandments of the Torah. In all major monotheistical faiths, scholars believe the pomegranate, rather than the apple, to have been the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden.

The Pomegranate seems to go back to the Sumerians and ancient Jews, as as the Romans and Greeks. Very interesting symbolism, thanks for sharing. Plenty to think about.

pomegranate-by-elizabeth-blackwell-from-a-curious-herbal-1737-benefiting-the-nature-conservancy-prints.jpg

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Olive tree is one symbol that I wholeheartedly think is the opposite to the apple

The apple is not mentioned in the Genesis account so your initial premise is flawed, pitifully. There are a million and one things wrong in this world; the apple ain't one of them.

But let's assume the literal apple has the power you suggest. And, let's further assume that the world takes your guidance to heart and no one eats apples. What will have changed? Will hungry people be fed, hurting people find comfort, broken relationships become healed? What good does abstinence from apples bring about? Nothing. Nada.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Bad apple. (Sloth)
Apple of my eye. (Lust)
Rotten Apple. (etc)

Thank for the reply.
Ok, this is satire right? Please tell me it's satire!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.