The only fruit I refuse to eat.

Do you partake of the forbidden fruit of Eden?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No I do not.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Other (explain below).

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavier363

Jan 26, 2022
Saskatchewan
✟22,707.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not aware of "the law of our mind" - perhaps you could say what that is? Perception is extremely faulty. There are optical illusions. Straight lines within a circle seem, perceptibly, to curve. This is a trivial example that most of us have experienced. Perception must be doubted. We have evolved to be pattern seeking animals. If you think you see a snake, run away! If it was the root of a tree, you survived - even though it was not harmful. If you think you see a snake and don't take precautions, you could be dinner and remove yourself from the gene pool. People who seek patterns, real or otherwise, are more likely to produce offspring. Regardless of whether the snake was real.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not aware of "the law of our mind" - perhaps you could say what that is? Perception is extremely faulty. There are optical illusions. Straight lines within a circle seem, perceptibly, to curve. This is a trivial example that most of us have experienced. Perception must be doubted. We have evolved to be pattern seeking animals. If you think you see a snake, run away! If it was the root of a tree, you survived - even though it was not harmful. If you think you see a snake and don't take precautions, you could be dinner and remove yourself from the gene pool. People who seek patterns, real or otherwise, are more likely to produce offspring. Regardless of whether the snake was real.

i am explaining it ... the two fruits of one tree in another picture are the two sons of Adam as in good son bad son ... or said another way same truth ... Adams two sons are Adams two perceptions of himself, which in bible language is an eating of a tree bearing two fruits ... the eating of which brings about a third part ... or said another way ... when we reason between two a third part comes out from between them ..as in a mixture of both ...

this third part being the perception we have of self ... or a measurement of truth we hold to which becomes a lie/serpent which causes us to stumble ... it is this false perception of self which serves as a comparison to who we really are ...

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does an Apple a Day Really Keep the Doctor Away?

"Apples specifically are rich in phytochemicals, according to a study published in Nutrition Journal.
Thanks to the fruit's phytonutrients, eating apples is associated with a lower risk of many diseases and improved physical health measures.

Some of the possible health benefits of apples include:

Improved digestion
Lower cholesterol and blood pressure
Weight loss
Reduced inflammation
Stronger bones
Apples may also help lower your risk of getting chronic illnesses, including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and some types of cancers.

In addition, apples are about 25 percent water, which makes it a hydrating food and eating an apple might be more satisfying and filling than some other fruits."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I saw teen bite into an apple this week

she enjoyed it after not being able to bite into one for 2 years; braces came off recently
ate cut up apples/no added sugar applesauce with braces

Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The 'humble' apple was the fruit that Adam stole to impress Eve. Point being, it was the first fruit, the cursed fruit.
A poem always stuck with me.
'Red, green or anywhere between, trust not of this fruit. Baked in a pie or picked from a tree, the lie grows larger if you share the apple with me. The pie is a lie and so is the apple, but a bite of this fruit and you'll be crying in the chapel.'
It's a poem as old as time, but one that continues to provide wisdom.
Some men lay orchards and groves. Some wives use them for pies.
Those people are weak.
I have another poem for you

Oh, the Lord’s been good to me.
And so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need:
The sun, the rain and the appleseed;
Oh, the Lord's been good to me.

So what makes your poem better than mine? what sources do you have that uniquely identifies the apple as the forbidden fruit? because listing a writing, drawing, or painting of an apple doesn't make it the forbidden fruit an apple. Biblically speaking it's unnamed either it is lost to the world, is some known fruit that still exists but is unknown in terms of its connection back to the garden, or the whole account is not actually meant to be taken literally like this.

What I learn from the account is that humans are innately separated from God and are in need of something or someone to restore this lost relationship between God and humans that humans cannot accomplish themselves.

What you learn from the account is we should stop eating apples.

I think you've gotten lost in the weeds (or the apples) and should back up and look over the account again and see what it is actually telling us without adding information. I believe the account is perfect how it is and adding details, like naming the fruit, will not give us more information that we can't get out of the text without it. So even if the fruit is an apple we must acknowledge the text has not revealed this information to us so either we accept the account gives us enough information or we say the account is incomplete. I choose the former... you seem to desire to choose the latter and that's not something I'm able to agree with.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Never once in my opening post did I suggest spreading the abstinence of apples to anybody.
Those issues you mentioned are unrelated to to the topic in hand, besides your mention of hunger which I guess needs addressing.
Yes, I imagine 99% of people would choose to eat an offered apple if they were hungry.
But I've made a personal choice. I'd refuse the apple.
Please don't accuse me of preaching, I'm merely discussing my own personal ethics based around what I genuinely to perceive to be to the forbidden fruit.

I'm not absolute in any belief though, hence the open discussion of what could and could not be forbidden fruits according to the laws of Eden.

Right now, we've ruled out Figs, since they share a lot with the Hebrew bible and we've ruled out Pomegranates since they go even further back and both are spoken with positivity and earnest.

If nothing else 'public hermit' don't take life too seriously. I think it's interesting to discuss the symbology of ancient fruit and relative mentions in the books and scriptures.
See here's the thing...if you read the rest of the book you find out that there's no forbidden fruit after Eden was closed for renovation.
God said, "See, I give you every seed-bearing plant that is upon all the earth, and every tree that has seed-bearing fruit; they shall be yours for food. These will be food for vou. ...and:
"Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."
and:"Then a voice said to him: “Get up, Peter, kill and eat!” 14“No, Lord!” Peter answered. I have never eaten anything impure or unclean.” 15The voice spoke to him a second time: “Do not call anything impure that God has made clean."

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
An apple a day keeps the Doctor away (Gluttony)
How is one apple, even eaten daily, gluttony in any way?

Surely when Jesus made food for the wedding that was gluttony too, right?

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I saw teen bite into an apple this week

she enjoyed it after not being able to bite into one for 2 years; braces came off recently
ate cut up apples/no added sugar applesauce with braces

teen's been eating frts/veggies since little

she's only had to take an antibiotic once
for sickness caught at school
yes, only needed to go to Dr ONCE for sickness, ever!

frts/veggies keep her healthy
I can’t wait until I can eat an apple. My braces come off in a week. I’ve had them for almost half my life!

• Friendly
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it’s more likely to be a fruit nothing like the fruit we eat, but it could be a fruit that doesn’t exist today but is related to apples which could cause some confusion. Only MUCH better than apples. Not everyone likes apples and the fruit would probably be something anyone would like the taste of. Or maybe Adam and Eve liked every fruit and people only started to be picky after the fall.
If the fruit was apples, though, would it make a difference if we ate them or not? We already have the knowledge that Adam and Eve gained from eating the fruit. No bad outcomes would come from eating it. So would it still be a sin?

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
it is impossible to not eat something and you don't even have to know what you eat to eat it. for instance how many eat of reductionism without knowing what they do?
FI9kWCbWQAA3gkW.png

the story of Jesus Christ is the story of the garden where the serpent deceived the woman. God gives me everything I love and as much of it as I can receive. I am in this way guilty of being a glutton and a lustful person.

Reactions: honey badger
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
i am explaining it ... the two fruits of one tree in another picture are the two sons of Adam as in good son bad son ... or said another way same truth ... Adams two sons are Adams two perceptions of himself, which in bible language is an eating of a tree bearing two fruits ... the eating of which brings about a third part ... or said another way ... when we reason between two a third part comes out from between them ..as in a mixture of both ...

this third part being the perception we have of self ... or a measurement of truth we hold to which becomes a lie/serpent which causes us to stumble ... it is this false perception of self which serves as a comparison to who we really are ...
yay more bird chatter

you could see the serpent as the highest of angels but in comparison to them over God it is a long and endless falling away from the truth. that is why the son must hand all over to the father, otherwise we make idols out of moon, sun, and stars.

if the serpent is a staff then it becomes the log in our eyes that is removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: honey badger
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
An interesting point, please elaborate.
Thank you.
Preface: Adam was a living soul, the literal reality in the Garden is metaphorical to us, since the fall turned us and our perception of reality inside out.

The fruit of knowing good and evil, is an integral part of our everyday life. When the bible is used in a manner where only good and evil is focussed on, this amplifies this aspect of life killing us more.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

The happy Objectivist

Jul 3, 2020
Center
✟65,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Without knowledge of Eden, I choose to believe there's more weight towards the forbidden fruit being an apple rather than any other fruit. It's too much oft repeated to be a coincidence, even Newton complained of a falling of an apple when he discovered 'gravity'.
Even some of the seven (or more) sins have apple related proverbs.

Bad apple. (Sloth)
Apple of my eye. (Lust)
An apple a day keeps the Doctor away (Gluttony)
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. (Pride)
Comparing apples to oranges. (Envy)
How do you like them apples? (Wrath)
Rotten Apple. (etc)

I'm trying to think of other fruit that have been mentioned in the texts, I'll have another delve and return to the thread.

Thank for the reply.
There's a wonderful little book that may shed light on why apples play a prominent role in those proverbs. It's called A Reverence for Wood. In it, the author talks about how wood and especially Apples played such an important role in the lives of the early settlers to North America. Those settlers knew which woods were good for building barns, making machine parts, fence posts (Black Locust), berry boxes, ax handles, and just about anything you can think of.

And, if I remember right, Apples were what people called Apricots in ancient times.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting; a bit of digging into etymology yields the fact that apple "In Middle English and as late as 17c., was a generic term for all fruit other than berries but including nuts. Hence its grafting onto the unnamed "fruit of the forbidden tree" in Genesis."

Upvote 0

Xavier363

Jan 26, 2022
Saskatchewan
✟22,707.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Hi Honey Badger:

Just to clarify before I continue, do you know who Depak Chopra is? Did you, by chance, study under him?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The humble apple.

Why, you might ask?
Why the biblical apple of Eden?
Science dictates an average apple contains fiber and antioxidants, and may help with such physical ailments such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
But does it though?

They say an apple a day keeps the Doctor away. This may be true. But does it keep 'you know who' away? SATAN?
The answer is no.

The 'humble' apple was the fruit that Adam stole to impress Eve. Point being, it was the first fruit, the cursed fruit.
A poem always stuck with me.
'Red, green or anywhere between, trust not of this fruit. Baked in a pie or picked from a tree, the lie grows larger if you share the apple with me. The pie is a lie and so is the apple, but a bite of this fruit and you'll be crying in the chapel.'
It's a poem as old as time, but one that continues to provide wisdom.
Some men lay orchards and groves. Some wives use them for pies.
Those people are weak.

Some may consider my apple-aversion as a bit extreme, but I think it's healthy to avoid such temptations. There's plenty of other fruit we can be growing or eating and at the end of the day it's a deliberate aversion rather than an allergy.

In this day and age it becomes tougher by the day to avoid the consumption of apples, especially with the likes of commercial temples like so called 'supermarkets' and 'mega-malls' selling applies in bulk, or juice companies pulping such juice into cartons and selling them off to ignorant consumers. Apples can be found in fruit salads or mixed in with other refreshing fruit juices microscopically. Apples can be found in flavored 'smoking' vapes and crumbles and strudels and football and television. It might be legal, but it's frustrating.

Check the label. I guess that's what I'm getting at. Or ask whoever it is that's serving you and don't take no for an answer..
'Does this contain apple? If so, get rid of it, I don't want to look at it'.
That's all you need to say.

Now back to the bible.

The apple stole paradise from man. Or more precisely, it was the greed of man that wanted more than paradise (perhaps on the whims of his woman [Eve]) and his bite of the apple took paradise away, or the snake deceived him - knowing that the tempation of man with paradise up his sleeve lacked the one fruit, dangling the forbidden fruit above man, like a carrot above a donkey. Only to be banished.
It's a convuloted story with blame being placed all over the place, but the ultimate lesson is:
Apples are a no go.
Sorry, but no.

These are the first lessons.
And lessons I am sure to never repeat.
The fruit was a symbol of the choice that mankind made, evil over good, disobedience. The tree in the middle of the garden was the Christ, eternal life. We are now grafted into that tree and we have eternal life in Christ.

You will find symbols riddled through the Old testament and even into the New Testament.

The book ends with probably the most symbolic book in the scripture, Revelation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.