The Nobel Peace Prize goes to... (gag me)

GuidanceNeeded

“Seek peace, and pursue it. (Proverbs 34:14)”
Mar 26, 2009
✟8,766.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:Barack Hussein Obama. :doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Not TWO weeks in office (nominations were due Feb 1, 2009) and some :swoon: Marxist maroon :swoon:nominates him for the NPP.

Um.... your thoughts? (boy, this oughta be good...)

Still don't trust him as far as I can throw him ;)

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think it is safe to say he has done much more "uniting" that his predecessor. I don't know if I would have said that 2 weeks into it but good for him.

This award is basically an award for not being George Bush. He hasn't actually really done anything deserving of a Nobel Peace Price, especially compared to what others have done in the last year, I'm sure. This award will tell all the people that thought the loss of Chicago for the Olympics meant that the world didn't like Obama that they were wrong. Of course, now this opens the door for the end of the world conspiracy theorists in some way or another...

Upvote 0

Mackdaddy Suave

Struttin'
Aug 3, 2009
✟7,791.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
I am in two minds about this. On one hand, I'm sure there are many people in the world who are more deserving of the award this year than Obama.

On the other hand, I would really enjoy seeing Obama smugging it up over the howls of outrage from the Right. Also, it gives me the opportunity to post this:

ObamaSmug.jpg

Which is how he must be feeling right about now.

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Spend time in His Word - every day
Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it is safe to say he has done much more "uniting" that his predecessor. I don't know if I would have said that 2 weeks into it but good for him.
"Uniting?" I think you misspelled that - the proper spelling is "untieing"

Upvote 0

AirForceTeacher

King of the Wicker People
Feb 23, 2004
The south
✟20,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I voted for him, but I still think this is premature. Most commentators this morning are inferring that the Nobel committee's intention is to support his goals, and hope that the prestige will help him achiev his goal to change the international community's tone and approach to diplomacy. If so, I hope that it works, but I'm rather pessimistic. Countries will do what they and what they believe is in thier own interests, and few of the bad actors will be moved at all by this award.

Upvote 0

AirForceTeacher

King of the Wicker People
Feb 23, 2004
The south
✟20,617.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If he had any integrity, he'd refuse the prize and give it to someone who really deserved it. And if the Nobel Prize award committee had any integrity, they'd apologize to the world.

Good grief!

Refusing the award would probably cause more problems than accepting. However, I would not be surprised if he dedicates his speech to other deserving heroes, and I hope he consders donating the prize to a peaceful cause.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DerSchweik

Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You don't award someone the MVP for a season they haven't played yet, regardless the "hope" they may have generated in training camp or the undesirable person they replaced on the team.

Politics aside, I just don't know how one justifies this award - I mean honestly. What did he do in the < 14 days after his inauguration to merit this prize? If it was given him for what he did and said on the campaign trail, then I'm even more stymied.

Upvote 0

ThankGodforGod

Jul 17, 2009
✟9,281.00
Faith
Non-Denom
This award is basically an award for not being George Bush. He hasn't actually really done anything deserving of a Nobel Peace Price, especially compared to what others have done in the last year, I'm sure. This award will tell all the people that thought the loss of Chicago for the Olympics meant that the world didn't like Obama that they were wrong. Of course, now this opens the door for the end of the world conspiracy theorists in some way or another...

You raise a very valid argument. It's more of a "Thanks for not being nuts" gold star from the rest of the world than anything else.

Upvote 0

ThankGodforGod

Jul 17, 2009
✟9,281.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If he had any integrity, he'd refuse the prize and give it to someone who really deserved it. And if the Nobel Prize award committee had any integrity, they'd apologize to the world.

Good grief!

I don't think I would go that far. If he was nominated and won on his own the kudos. Doesn't this also make him the only sitting president to get one of these? Talk about a mold breaker.....

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You raise a very valid argument. It's more of a "Thanks for not being nuts" gold star from the rest of the world than anything else.
Not sure I'd use the word "nuts" but otherwise don't disagree. The only merit in this award is that he's not George Bush.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,456.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This award is basically an award for not being George Bush. He hasn't actually really done anything deserving of a Nobel Peace Price, especially compared to what others have done in the last year,
Hasn't done anything deserving, where have you been?:bigeye: Look what he did in the Gates/Crowley situation. He saved the whole free world.:D Give him a case of Bud Lite and he'll have the PLO eating out of his hand.:p (As long as there are some beer nuts in it)

YouTube - Raw Video: Obama Has Beer With Gates, Officer

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

You read my mind.

Now please stop - I'd like a little privacy. :p

Upvote 0
A

ace8842

9.8% unemployment. He hasn't gotten through any of his major policy initiatives. He has appointed many controversial czars, some of whom have had to be removed. Troops are still in Iraq and others are dying in Afghanistan. He lied about transparency and the stimulus bill failed greatly so far as it was mostly paybacks to those who got him elected. He failed in his Olympics bid, spending some taxpayer dollars to do so. He surrounded himself with one of the most corrupt staffs one could have, full of tax cheats and people who have been in trouble with the law, and Chicago style sleazy politicians. Yet he wins the Nobel Peace Prize? This is like when Hollywood nominates movies for awards based on political content such as anti-war, anti-Republican, or pro-gay themes. Yet these films are not loved by the people who watch movies...but because their agendas fit Hollywood, they win an award.

Upvote 0

DerSchweik

Aug 31, 2007
Right of center
✟1,879,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hasn't done anything deserving, where have you been?:bigeye: Look what he did in the Gates/Crowley situation. He saved the whole free world.:D Give him a case of Bud Lite and he'll have the PLO eating out of his hand.:p (As long as there are some beer nuts in it)
:D LOL :D - But just a sec - he was responsible for turning that into a racist situation and then responsible for miraculously defusing it - - all on his lonesome.

Let's not chastise him for his methods - or do you have something against Bud Lite and Beer Nuts? :p

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
I don't think I would go that far. If he was nominated and won on his own the kudos. Doesn't this also make him the only sitting president to get one of these? Talk about a mold breaker.....

No. Theodore Roosevelt won in 1906 and Woodrow Wilson won in 1919. Both men were still in office at the time.

Upvote 0