Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It occurred to me the other day, Kylissa, that when, god willing, we are definitively grafted into the Vine, the Mystical Body of Christ, as 'other Christs', we shall form a Multiplicity - as an adoptive extenson of the Most Holy Trinity, God in his own right.

That is certainly something interesting to think about, and wonderful to look forward to! Something along those lines is what made me think about the reason God exists in Trinity in the first place - or just my musings on that thought, anyway.

The Catholic Church teaches theosis, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

Exodus20

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm very thankful it was re-opened as well. :) And thanks for your kind word, Exodus. BTW, if there is anything in the part we've already covered that you'd like to comment on, please feel free to do so. The only limiting I have put on it is that I ask that people don't get ahead of where we are. But I wouldn't want to limit people from replying to anything otherwise. :)

Yes - thanks for the offer. I have wanted to for over a week now. The pace is moving quick , so I better jump in while there is still water to swim in. ;) .

I will add this thought really quick: Unlike some posters/members , I like and have always liked the excellent figure of the Trinity diagram in the "Triangle shape." It says in a small compact package what wordy theologians would prefer to spend 500 pages of paper & ink writing about. I was going to use that famous & very good diagram for my 'avatar' here but instead went with the "Agnus Dei" stained glass window.

P.S. to "Kylissa"; Per your last sentence in the post above... Actually that "T" theory is from the Greek/ Eastern Orthodox churches. ( One of 3 huge reasons which I have not went inside one of their churches , even though I was invited by a deacon ) . Living here in Ute-land - home of a major cult based in S.L.C. , the E.O. idea of 'Theosis" reeks of the L.D.S. Mormon idea of their elders ( in good standing ) becoming a 'god' after the 'Resurrection'. When you are surrounded by thousands of cultists ... well you learn to put up cultic 'radar' fences. I think the scriptures are plain as day on this topic/issue: There is ONE true God Deut. 6:4 / Is. 44:6 / Matt. 3:16,17. Humans are descended from Adam & Eve and are NOT and cannot be a 'god' !

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It occurred to me the other day, Kylissa, that when, god willing, we are definitively grafted into the Vine, the Mystical Body of Christ, as 'other Christs', we shall form a Multiplicity - as an adoptive extenson of the Most Holy Trinity, God in his own right.

That is certainly something interesting to think about, and wonderful to look forward to! Something along those lines is what made me think about the reason God exists in Trinity in the first place - or just my musings on that thought, anyway.
Totally agree on this point altho it's difficult to convey the meaning in a few words but both posts have outlined it well. I'll add my 2 c to the topic since it's all part of the purpose of the trinity.
The trinity is meant for fellowship and experience in, as an extension into, the vine that we are, and not of/opposed to, a doctrinal system of theological study. It's meant to be experienced for apprehending how God, in the trinity, dispenses Himself into His redeemed people who participate in, experience, enjoy, and possess the Triune God now and for eternity.
The grace of the Lord, the Love of God and the fellowship of the Spirit are three aspects of the same thing but all are transmitted into our experience to become one in Christ (grace, love, fellowship) hth
PS I may add tho that we will never share in the essential Godhead with Christ. The Father being the root, Christ the branch and we the vine with the fruit of the Spirit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unix
Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Living here in Ute-land - home of a major cult based in S.L.C. , the E.O. idea of 'Theosis" reeks of the L.D.S. Mormon idea of their elders ( in good standing ) becoming a 'god' after the 'Resurrection'. When you are surrounded by thousands of cultists ... well you learn to put up cultic 'radar' fences. I think the scriptures are plain as day on this topic/issue: There is ONE true God Deut. 6:4 / Is. 44:6 / Matt. 3:16,17. Humans are descended from Adam & Eve and are NOT and cannot be a 'god' !

Yes, but even a cursory investigation of the history behind the Orthodox doctrine of theosis reveals that it is nowhere near similar to the Mormon one of exaltation. You discovered this, right?

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, but even a cursory investigation of the history behind the Orthodox doctrine of theosis reveals that it is nowhere near similar to the Mormon one of exaltation. You discovered this, right?

It is unlike the Latter Day Saints doctrine in that Catholic and Orthodox teaching is that the saints, after the resurrection, remain creatures but their nature is exalted because they are united to Jesus Christ and he has elevated human nature by taking it to himself. That God should become a man is a wonder too deep to describe and it is that great wonder that makes it true that man may become God in Christ. Saint Athanasius said so, "God became man that man might become God". Yet we are and always will be creatures.

The Latter Day Saints teaching appears to be that God was a man and became God so setting an example by which men may become Gods, and that implies that God is a creature in some sense, does it not? (I hope I have not misrepresented what Mormons teach)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I see everyone already jumped on it. :) Yes, the Orthodox teaching of theosis is NOTHING like the Mormon belief. Even Athanasius' quote (God became man so that man might become god) is something that people with the wrong idea can easily misunderstand.

The Orthodox Church is clear that God IS God, and that His essence - His "Godness" is something that we will never, ever share in - in fact, we cannot comprehend or experience in truth. We are forever creatures, and He is forever God, and that line will never, ever be crossed or blurred.

A better explanation is that we will be LIKE Him, imo. At least for the Protestant mind, that is a better explanation of what is really meant by "theosis". I'm not claiming to know everything or understand the depths of it, but truly ... we are changed and grow to be more and more in His likeness as Christ is formed within us. There are plenty of Scriptures that attest to this growth of Christ-like-ness, and it is the attainment of that being like Christ that the Orthodox Church teaches.

(Not that there is an "arrival" end point, btw, but there is speaking of having "attained theosis" ... however the teaching is also that we can forever grow in grace and be made more like Him - but we shall never "arrive".)

I hope that makes sense, and forgive me if I made any mis-speak in here - always open to correction - but that should be the Orthodox perspective in its basic form.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Mark and MoreCoffee,

Mark, I'm curious about your doxology. :)

I like those. :) Thanks for sharing.

I remember I thought "The Doxology" was a particular song, and there was only one. I took myself to church for a while when I was 12. The Doxology was my absolute favorite part of the entire service. But it got me thinking, and was a point of confusion for me, because that pastor called the Holy Ghost "it" and I very much got the sense that He was a kind of power-source there. And the term "Holy Ghost" made me think of something spooky.

But The Doxology was this one. I still love it, btw, but it says so little compared to others I've heard now.

Praise God from Whom all blessings flow
Praise Him all creatures here below
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

I always got a thrill when I sang the last line, but I also felt a twinge almost of guilt, because it seemed like idolatry according to what I'd been taught.

But it was the beginning of making me think, so for that I am grateful too.

Doxologies take different forms. Each of the last verses that MC quoted are trinitarian doxologies. The Gloria Patri is one also (we sing the Gloria Patri following the appointed Psalm in the Introit. While not trinitarian, the first part of the Te Deum is a doxology as is "for Thine is the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen."; the conclusion of the Our Father.

We have dozens and dozens of of hymns who's last stanza is a trinitarian doxology. They can be found mainly in the hymns in the season of Penticost, the feast of the Holy Trinity and baptismal hymns, but not exclusively among those.

We too have such hymns and prayers. Here is an example or two.

• O God of truth, prepare our minds
    To hear and heed your holy word;
    Fill every heart that longs for you
    With your mysterious presence, Lord.

Almighty Father, with your Son
    And blessed Spirit, hear our prayer:
    Teach us to love eternal truth
    And seek its freedom everywhere.
  • Bright as fire in darkness,
    Sharper than a sword,
    Lives throughout the ages
    God’s eternal word.

Father, Son and Spirit,
    Trinity of might,
    Compassed in your glory,
    Give the world your light.
I like this hymn too

God has spoken by his prophets,
Spoken his unchanging word,
Each from age to age proclaiming
God the One, the righteous Lord.
Mid the world’s despair and turmoil,
one firm anchor holdeth fast:
God is King, his throne eternal,
God the first and God the last.

God has spoken by Christ Jesus,
Christ, the everlasting Son,
Brightness of the Father’s glory,
With the Father ever one;
Spoken by the Word incarnate,
God of God, ere time began,
Light of Light, to earth descending,
Man, revealing God to man.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Doxologies take different forms. Each of the last verses that MC quoted are trinitarian doxologies. The Gloria Patri is one also (we sing the Gloria Patri following the appointed Psalm in the Introit. While not trinitarian, the first part of the Te Deum is a doxology as is "for Thine is the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen."; the conclusion of the Our Father.

We have dozens and dozens of of hymns who's last stanza is a trinitarian doxology. They can be found mainly in the hymns in the season of Penticost, the feast of the Holy Trinity and baptismal hymns, but not exclusively among those.

BTW, here is a good article: Doxology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see everyone already jumped on it. :) Yes, the Orthodox teaching of theosis is NOTHING like the Mormon belief. Even Athanasius' quote (God became man so that man might become god) is something that people with the wrong idea can easily misunderstand.

The Orthodox Church is clear that God IS God, and that His essence - His "Godness" is something that we will never, ever share in - in fact, we cannot comprehend or experience in truth. We are forever creatures, and He is forever God, and that line will never, ever be crossed or blurred.

A better explanation is that we will be LIKE Him, imo. At least for the Protestant mind, that is a better explanation of what is really meant by "theosis". I'm not claiming to know everything or understand the depths of it, but truly ... we are changed and grow to be more and more in His likeness as Christ is formed within us. There are plenty of Scriptures that attest to this growth of Christ-like-ness, and it is the attainment of that being like Christ that the Orthodox Church teaches.

(Not that there is an "arrival" end point, btw, but there is speaking of having "attained theosis" ... however the teaching is also that we can forever grow in grace and be made more like Him - but we shall never "arrive".)

I hope that makes sense, and forgive me if I made any mis-speak in here - always open to correction - but that should be the Orthodox perspective in its basic form.
Yes, it's seen within these verses and others

2 Corinthians 3:18
And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being changed into his likeness from one degree of glory to another; for this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

1 Corinthians 13:12
For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the replies. I will get back to those soon (God willing!). I thought it was probably time to move ahead in the meantime. :)

I believe in one God, Father Almighty, Creator of
heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of
God, begotten of the Father before all ages;

Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten,
not created, of one essence with the Father
through Whom all things were made.

Who for us men and for our salvation
came down from heaven and was incarnate
of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary and became man.

He was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate,
and suffered and was buried;

And He rose on the third day,
according to the Scriptures.

He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father;

And He will come again with glory to judge the living
and dead. His kingdom shall have no end.

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the Creator of life,
Who proceeds from the Father [and the Son], Who together with the
Father and the Son is worshipped and glorified,

Who spoke through the prophets.

Upvote 0

Exodus20

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If I may ... I would like to back up a little bit to a previous line.

I prefer the wording of the Creed found in my copy of 'The Book of Common Prayer' ( Both the 1662 & the 1928 ) to the modern version which is on this website. {[ It is the one provided by the website , so I guess we ( I ) can't complain. ]}

....." and I believe in the Holy Ghost , The Lord and Giver of Life , Who proceedeth from the Father and the Son,; Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, " .....

I like the clause as the 'Western' Creed states it because it is in line with the 14th chapter of John's Gospel. It strengthens the idea of the equality of the Trinity ... which of course helps to ruin the argument of the Arians. { Which was a huge reason the Nicene Creed was composed. }
I have read / listened to the objections from a few 'E.O.' authorities & clergy, but I disagree for many of the sound reasons which I found the other day while searching the internet.

This is an essay from the 'Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary' , and I thought / think his points & reasoning is good per the famous 'clause'. I post this for everyone to look at for information from a conservative 'Protestant' source.

http://www.wlsessays.net/files/FerchFilioque.pdf

Here are some other sources that hopefully the members/readers will benefit from:

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/history/creed.church.txt

These are links to Johann Sebastian Bach's "Mass in B Minor". Part of the musical piece is the 'credo' or "Symbolum Nicenum". I tried to find the ones sung in English, and I am sure if you do some looking on You Tube or other places you can find the rest of the 'credo'. { It was the last piece J.S. Bach did before he passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuFqNpBMqVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulxV7WOC5xI Enjoy!

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If I may ... I would like to back up a little bit to a previous line.

I prefer the wording of the Creed found in my copy of 'The Book of Common Prayer' ( Both the 1662 & the 1928 ) to the modern version which is on this website. {[ It is the one provided by the website , so I guess we ( I ) can't complain. ]}

....." and I believe in the Holy Ghost , The Lord and Giver of Life , Who proceedeth from the Father and the Son,; Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, " .....

I like the clause as the 'Western' Creed states it because it is in line with the 14th chapter of John's Gospel. It strengthens the idea of the equality of the Trinity ... which of course helps to ruin the argument of the Arians. { Which was a huge reason the Nicene Creed was composed. }
I have read / listened to the objections from a few 'E.O.' authorities & clergy, but I disagree for many of the sound reasons which I found the other day while searching the internet.

This is an essay from the 'Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary' , and I thought / think his points & reasoning is good per the famous 'clause'. I post this for everyone to look at for information from a conservative 'Protestant' source.

http://www.wlsessays.net/files/FerchFilioque.pdf

Here are some other sources that hopefully the members/readers will benefit from:

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/history/creed.church.txt

These are links to Johann Sebastian Bach's "Mass in B Minor". Part of the musical piece is the 'credo' or "Symbolum Nicenum". I tried to find the ones sung in English, and I am sure if you do some looking on You Tube or other places you can find the rest of the 'credo'. { It was the last piece J.S. Bach did before he passed away.

Credo from Bach's Mass in B Minor Part 1 - YouTube

Bach - Mass in B minor, Credo - Robert Shaw 1960 - YouTube Enjoy!

Thank you for the creeds set to music. Very lovely they are.

Mozart celebrated the creed in music this way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cNibz1BpYA

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the replies. I will get back to those soon (God willing!). I thought it was probably time to move ahead in the meantime. :)

He ascended into heaven

This is probably one of the hardest to understand parts of the creed. As part of the verses associated there is
1 Samual 19:
18 When David had fled and made his escape, he went to Samuel at Ramah and told him all that Saul had done to him. Then he and Samuel went to Naioth and stayed there. 19 Word came to Saul: “David is in Naioth at Ramah”; 20 so he sent men to capture him. But when they saw a group of prophets prophesying, with Samuel standing there as their leader, the Spirit of God came on Saul’s men, and they also prophesied. 21 Saul was told about it, and he sent more men, and they prophesied too. Saul sent men a third time, and they also prophesied. 22 Finally, he himself left for Ramah and went to the great cistern at Seku. And he asked, “Where are Samuel and David?”

“Over in Naioth at Ramah,” they said.

23 So Saul went to Naioth at Ramah. But the Spirit of God came even on him, and he walked along prophesying until he came to Naioth. 24 He stripped off his garments, and he too prophesied in Samuel’s presence. He lay naked all that day and all that night. This is why people say, “Is Saul also among the prophets?”
Then in the new testament there is
Hebrews 1
God’s Final Word: His Son

1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. 3 The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.
So leading up to this verse we have the Father and the Son
And in the Holy Spirit,
the Lord,
the Giver of Life,
Who proceeds from the Father;
Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified;

phwe, that's a lot. So is there a difference in the means of prophesying OT/NT? Looking at Hebrews 1 it seems to me that there is.
Jesus the Son had not yet been revealed in the OT.
Instead the Spirit came upon them rather than abiding within them.
But the emphasis is that God and not man has spoken.
So now that the new testament is in effect we should be listening to Christ whom God approved on the mt transfiguration.
And that's all tied into these last few verses of the creed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rick357

bond-slave
Jul 23, 2014
✟12,138.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
In OT YHWH spoke to the prophets....YHWH was his breath...his breath was him....with his breath he spoke his word...his word was him and his breath...he is one...
In the NT the word manifested in the flesh...empowered by the Spirit...through the will and authority of the Father....these Three are One

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In OT YHWH spoke to the prophets....YHWH was his breath...his breath was him....with his breath he spoke his word...his word was him and his breath...he is one...
In the NT the word manifested in the flesh...empowered by the Spirit...through the will and authority of the Father....these Three are One
God breathed scripture for instruction etc. needs the breath of the Holy Spirit like Jesus breathed onto the disciples as the means of them coming to life.
An apt description of prophesy I would think. :amen:

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
God breathed scripture for instruction etc. needs the breath of the Holy Spirit like Jesus breathed onto the disciples as the means of them coming to life.
An apt description of prophesy I would think. :amen:

...And on Pentecost, the Holy Spirit came down as wind and fire!

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
...And on Pentecost, the Holy Spirit came down as wind and fire!
That's true. It's like the disciples recieved the Holy Spirit in the breath
~ like Adam did ~
to produce life for the new creation.
But when the wind and fire came upon them it seemed
more to be for the work of carrying forth His message.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

He ascended into heaven

I am reminded I still need to post some replies - at least I am feeling human again. ;)

Some good replies here regarding the Holy Spirit. I wasn't really sure what to say next, but I didn't want to let this thread lapse. So thank you all for the observations. :)

I wonder if the reason "Who spoke through the prophets" is included in the Creed in order to make it clear that the Holy Spirit was active in the period before Christ as well, or to make a connection to the Holy Spirit as mentioned in the OT Scriptures? I'm not sure.

But since the Creed is a recounting of what the Father has done, and what the Son has done, it makes sense to include the actions of the Holy Spirit as well. Perhaps to differentiate their roles somewhat as well.

Since as I mentioned, it was quite a surprising revelation to me that it was probably the Holy Spirit that I actually experienced as God, and that was responsible for my understanding of Scripture, and so on, it does seem important to remind believers of His role in the Godhead in interacting with mankind.

Upvote 0