Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I keep getting the feeling these guys have a corner on The Holy Spirit.
That don't wash.
...And the allegation of categorical ignoring could equaly be leveled right back.

Let's not go there. lol

Your allegation is incorrect. What you have to understand, though, is that the quality of the antenna sometimes makes receiving the signal better. We do not judge who 'has' the HS or who 'has not' the HS. What we do know is that our bishops and priests and deacons are ordained by the Holy Spirit, and given their charisms by Him.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Your allegation is incorrect. What you have to understand, though, is that the quality of the antenna sometimes makes receiving the signal better. We do not judge who 'has' the HS or who 'has not' the HS. What we do know is that our bishops and priests and deacons are ordained by the Holy Spirit, and given their charisms by Him.

Your assertion is self denying.
You absolutely do judge who has the HS, and you have decided it is yourselves.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0
B

barryatlake

Rick. the HS only was given to Christ's personal apostles, that authoritative position was carried over to their successors. Those first twelve apostles received the Holy Spirit, as according to Scripture twice, once in the form of Tongues of Fire and again in the form of a live Dove. Also Jesus gave His Authority to His Apostles/Successors, see Luke 10: 16 .

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rick. the HS only was given to Christ's personal apostles, that authoritative position was carried over to their successors. Those first twelve apostles received the Holy Spirit, as according to Scripture twice, once in the form of Tongues of Fire and again in the form of a live Dove. Also Jesus gave His Authority to His Apostles/Successors, see Luke 10: 16 .
barry,
The Holy Spirit is given to each of His children.
It's what the new covenant is all about!
Gal 3
He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham
might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus,
so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

:preach:

Upvote 0
B

barryatlake

sunlover, yes, you are correct. I should have stated that when God infused the Holy Spirit into His Apostles, as explained in the Bible, it was a much more intense infusion than the ordinary Christian would receive, being that the Apostles were Christ's teachers on matters of the Christian Faith. Also, they were far more courageous and zealous in preaching the Faith after infusion of HS, as per bible. Another prime example taken from bible is that the Apostles were given the power to forgive and retain sins upon receiving Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Your assertion is self denying.
You absolutely do judge who has the HS, and you have decided it is yourselves.

That may be your judgment, but that's been proven on other things to be incorrect at times.

Albion, I have a life, and it's not on Christian Forums. I come on when and if I feel like it. I respond if and when I feel like it.

Rick, it's not for any of us to say who does and doesn't have "it" (the Holy Spirit). To do so would be wrong. We use positive Biblical evidence of how our bishops are ordained with the Holy Spirit. That doesn't say anyone doesn't have the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
sunlover, yes, you are correct. I should have stated that when God infused the Holy Spirit into His Apostles, as explained in the Bible, it was a much more intense infusion than the ordinary Christian would receive, being that the Apostles were Christ's teachers on matters of the Christian Faith. Also, they were far more courageous and zealous in preaching the Faith after infusion of HS, as per bible. Another prime example taken from bible is that the Apostles were given the power to forgive and retain sins upon receiving Holy Spirit.

Right on.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll bet that you didn't expect him to come right back and confirm it like he did, huh?

I grew up RC, so you can imagine how well I related to Alice in Wonderland... it just gets curiouser and curiouser.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

barryatlake

Rick Otto, you wrote: " I grew up RC,............................ it just gets curiouser and curiouser."

I believe that the Church Christ formed upon His Apostles was intended, so as it gets CURIA and CURIA

Curia; The personal and offices through which [ 1 ] the pope administers the affairs of the universal Church, the Roman Curia or [ 2] a bishop the affairs of a diocese, disocesan curia. The principle officials of a diocesan curia are the vicar general of the diocese, the chancellor, officials of the diocesian tribunal or court, examiners, consultors, auditors, notaries.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Would you be alright with me describing your faith as "invincible"?

BTW, How you like my new icon?

It's a pretty picture. Does it describe what you believe? The icon stands for the CCC...

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a pretty picture. Does it describe what you believe? The icon stands for the CCC...

My understanding is that it represents Roman Catholicism.

It represents what I believe as much as Liberation and Barry's generic Christian icon represents what they believe, don't you agree?

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My understanding is that it represents Roman Catholicism.

It represents what I believe as much as Liberation and Barry's generic Christian icon represents what they believe, don't you agree?

The CCC is the teaching of the Catholic Church. If you believe what the Catholic Church teaches, you can have the icon.

Regarding agreeing or not with your second statement, it doesn't matter much to me. There are people who claim to be Catholic and use the icon who don't seem very Catholic, but that's a judgment of someone's heart, and I'm trying to not judge their hearts.

But in a sense, like in the other thread, all Christians are Catholic to some degree, it's just the degree that's in question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The CCC is the teaching of the Catholic Church. If you believe what the Catholic Church teaches, you can have the icon.
Very few members of the RCC actually believe all that their church teaches, so that isn't going to work well as a litmus test. ;)

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Regarding agreeing or not with your second statement, it doesn't matter much to me. There are people who claim to be Catholic and use the icon who don't seem very Catholic, but that's a judgment of someone's heart, and I'm trying to not judge their hearts.

But in a sense, like in the other thread, all Christians are Catholic to some degree, it's just the degree that's in question.

Did you mean to type "all Christians are catholic..."?
I could agree with that spelling correction.
I never believe anyone who claims they don't judge hearts.
Not one iota.
And might that not be seen as a sort of a self-serving selective apathy regarding icon use?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Did you mean to type "all Christians are catholic..."?
I could agree with that spelling correction.
I never believe anyone who claims they don't judge hearts.
Not one iota.
And might that not be seen as a sort of a self-serving selective apathy regarding icon use?

Rick, you really need to learn to read...I'm pretty precise, and don't make spelling mistakes very often, and when I do, I correct them. Capital C Catholic is not a brand or denomination. It is a description of the Church Christ instituted. I could care less if you capitalize it or not.

Secondly, I didn't say I don't judge hearts. I said I try not to. Very. Big. Difference.
And no, it's not apathy. I cannot be responsible for how you or anyone else, my own family included, choose to believe, unless they come to me and ask. My wife, a lifelong Catholic, happens to believe that birth control is ok in a marriage to prevent pregnancy. But she never used contraception, and she doesn't tell others that it's ok. I disagree with her, and stand with the Church. I know others who follow the line of "I wouldn't have an abortion, but I support others' right to do so." and call themselves Catholic. But that's not the teaching of the Church. God will deal with each case in His mercy. That's not apathy, that's trust in God.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I know others who follow the line of "I wouldn't have an abortion, but I support others' right to do so." and call themselves Catholic. But that's not the teaching of the Church.

I can't support ANYONE's idea of a theocracy, whether it's run by the Vatican, ISIS, or any other religious entity. I guess I was sorry to see it made a part of that reply.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.