California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
Below, I am posing a question, in which I have asked numerous times, in various circles; both in Christian communities, and outside. Maybe someone, or more, might be able to clarify/answer to [my] satisfaction?

If the Christian God does indeed exist, it would then also be assumed, based upon Biblical doctrine, that He is all knowing. (i.e.) Isaiah 46:9-10, Psalm 139:4, Psalm 147:5, 1 John 3:20, Matthew 10:30, etc.....

If God already knows where you are going to end up, (Heaven or other), before He even creates you, then isn't He merely watching 're-runs'?

Example 1... You record a sporting event, and watch it again later. Yes, the participants have freewill, by choosing their actions in real-time. But if you watch it later, a second time, you then already know the outcome. The question then becomes... Why does the human watch the recorded event, the second time, after the human knows the final score/final judgement?

Example 2... You record a home movie. You watch the movie later. You already know the final result, as you watch it again and again. The human might have various reasons for watching this homemade movie repeatedly? But what be the reason(s) God might watch something, for which He already knows the conclusion?

I'll stop here for now.

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
This question has been pondered and answered for years.

I've actually never heard anyone ask about the psychological motivations God has for watching a video rerun of creation. The question is far too immersed in anthropomorphism for historical theistic interest.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
I've actually never heard anyone ask about the psychological motivations God has for watching a video rerun of creation.

Well, now you have :) Please be aware that we, as humans, can only make sense out of things by example, illustration, analogy, or maybe other. I trust you understand what my two given examples elude to accordingly? If God exists, God already knows where you will end up, right? Hence, what is the point of watching the inevitable play out?

The question is far too immersed in anthropomorphism for historical theistic interest.

Regardless of what you may personally think about the topic, it is one us humans ask. It would appear God creates each and every human, and already knows where they will end up, even before He decides to create them. The question is, what be the point to watching?

Upvote 0

MrsFoundit

Dec 5, 2019
South
✟40,776.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe someone, or more, might be able to clarify/answer to [my] satisfaction?

What would be required of an answer to meet with your satisfaction?

I agree you have anthropomorphised God in forming the question, so any dissatisfaction with the answers you receive may be caused by that error in forming the question.

I have watched a sports event many times, I do it because I love to see it. I love the result. I love the team that won. I personally knew and loved someone who was on the team. This could be a hint as to a motive God has.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
This question has been pondered and answered for years. I respectfully doubt that you will find an answer to your satisfaction.

I respect this answer.

However, according to the same Book, it would also appear that humans can ask God directly. (i.e.)

Matthew 7:7, Matthew 21:22, Mark 11:24, John 14:13-14, John 16:23, etc...

I tried this for years, to no avail... Maybe someone else might be successful?

Does anyone have an answer, as given from the almighty Himself?

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
What would be required of an answer to meet with your satisfaction?

Great question :) I honestly, don't know? I say this in that exact same sense if someone were to ask you exactly what it would take for you to believe in an opposing God, instead of the one you currently believe. It's not an easy cut and dry answer. All I can say, is that given enough explanation, backed by 'reason and evidence', I may at some point, 1) have no choice but to concede a conclusion, or, 2) instead surmise that maybe there isn't a logical one?.?.? Right now I'm at option 2).

This is why I pose the question here, as a continuance of all prior given 'unsatisfactory' responses... But if you wish to throw your 'hat in the ring', I much appreciate it... :)

I agree you have anthropomorphised God in forming the question, so any dissatisfaction with the answers you receive may be caused by that error in forming the question.

Honestly, I hear where you are coming from, honestly. HOWEVER, I trust you are also aware what the Bible says on the matter? God has created humans in His 'likeness'... (i.e.) Genesis 1:27

I trust you are also aware of the assertion that God created human kind to already know right from wrong, like Him? (i.e.) Mark 7:20-23, Matthew 26:41, Matthew 7:12, etc...

Let me rephrase the question slightly, to be more in line with what you stated above in red.......

Does God give an answer, as to the reasons(s) God watches known events play out? Yes or no? If yes, can you please tell me what His answer might be? If no, then can you pray to receive one, in accordance with known Scripture? (i.e.) Matthew 7:7, Matthew 21:22, Mark 11:24, John 14:13-14, John 16:23

I have watched a sports event many times, I do it because I love to see it. I love the result. I love the team that won. I personally knew and loved someone who was on the team. This could be a hint as to a motive God has.

Maybe for some... But what about when watching a human being born into extreme poverty, is perpetually undernourished, is perpetually raped, and then is later additionally tortured/murdered at the age of seven?

Upvote 0

MrsFoundit

Dec 5, 2019
South
✟40,776.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe for some... But what about when watching a human being born into extreme poverty, is perpetually undernourished, is perpetually raped, and thhen is later additionally tortured/murdered at the age of seven?

You have changed the basis if your analogy. That is not a very honest way to converse. If your concern was suffering in the first place, why did you not mention it in your examples of watching replays? You presented the question based on a sports event or a home movie.

Now you have turned it into a scenario involving a passive deity who does nothing but sit back while suffering happens. Any deity who does that is not Jesus Christ, who was here and suffered immensely, and who created a heaven as well as an earth.

Upvote 0

Steve97

Dec 26, 2019
none
✟15,944.00
Country
Tajikistan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK - SNP
Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
You have changed the basis if your analogy. That is not a very honest way to converse. If your concern was suffering in the first place, why did you not mention it in your examples of watching replays? You presented the question based on a sports event or a home movie.

Now you have turned it into a scenario involving a passive deity who does nothing but sit back while suffering happens. Any deity who does that is not Jesus Christ, who was here and suffered immensely, and who created a heaven as well as an earth.

I apologize that you might think this. But please re-read the OP entirely. The examples state:

"Example 1... You record a sporting event, and watch it again later. Yes, the participants have freewill, by choosing their actions in real-time. But if you watch it later, a second time, you then already know the outcome. The question then becomes... Why does the human watch the recorded event, the second time, after the human knows the final score/final judgement?"

"Example 2... You record a home movie. You watch the movie later. You already know the final result, as you watch it again and again. The human might have various reasons for watching this homemade movie repeatedly? But what be the reason(s) God might watch something, for which He already knows the conclusion?"

Why do you automatically assume the 'home movie' is something [you] would like? I'm simply demonstrating why this 'conclusion' yields a lack in logic, if you assert a 'good' God :) But I again ask....

If God already knows where you are going to end up, why does He watch all known events play out?

Furthermore, there could be just as many reasons one might record a sporting event. Maybe the person doing the recording likes to watch for the graphic injuries?

Believe it or not, I'm not playing bate and switch. Just instead shedding light to the topic entirely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Below, I am posing a question, in which I have asked numerous times, in various circles; both in Christian communities, and outside. Maybe someone, or more, might be able to clarify/answer to [my] satisfaction?

If the Christian God does indeed exist, it would then also be assumed, based upon Biblical doctrine, that He is all knowing. (i.e.) Isaiah 46:9-10, Psalm 139:4, Psalm 147:5, 1 John 3:20, Matthew 10:30, etc.....

If God already knows where you are going to end up, (Heaven or other), before He even creates you, then isn't He merely watching 're-runs'?

Example 1... You record a sporting event, and watch it again later. Yes, the participants have freewill, by choosing their actions in real-time. But if you watch it later, a second time, you then already know the outcome. The question then becomes... Why does the human watch the recorded event, the second time, after the human knows the final score/final judgement?

Example 2... You record a home movie. You watch the movie later. You already know the final result, as you watch it again and again. The human might have various reasons for watching this homemade movie repeatedly? But what be the reason(s) God might watch something, for which He already knows the conclusion?

I'll stop here for now.

Religion is the attempt to explain why we exist. Christianity is a religion which, if true, renders our existence on earth pointless.

Reactions: cvanwey
Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private

I watched the second video. Believe it or not, I agree with almost everything said within it.

HOWEVER, this still does nothing to yield an answer to my question :) The 'moral argument' gets us no closing to 'proving' God. And further, then begs the concept of the "Euthyphro Dilemma"

- Might Makes right, and/or what if God later changes His mind
(or)
- Something is already right, outside of God's direct command.

Either choice, the God answer is arbitrary to 'morals' :) Hence, why some theists will attempt to force a 'third option.'

Again...

If God already knows the outcome before He creates you, why does He watch it happen anyways?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I'll stop here for now.
I have been watching the same stupid, selfish behavior, practiced by every generation, over and over again. I don't think we ever really learn anything in the end.

The world is a very dysfunctional world.

There is now more than ample proof that humanity has very deep issues and without God's intervention. Mankind will eventually drive all life on this planet into extinction.

This may well be the reason that God has allowed us to continue on this planet for so long. To prove to us, once and for all time, why God has to run the show.

It is not that He has to constantly view reruns, it's that we need to see the reruns. We are the problem.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
Religion is the attempt to explain why we exist. Christianity is a religion which, if true, renders our existence on earth pointless.

Spoiler alert...

Thus far, the answer to my own question is...

God enjoys watching.

If not, He would not set the stage for which He, and no other, has set.

Does this make it 'wrong'? Who am I to say? I am a subjective agent; with no basis for objective/absolute morals :)

If God does exist, He can obviously do whatever He wants, and however He wants.

Apparently, God knows all, set a stage, and is watching it play out in the way He already knows it will. I cannot come up with an alternative response, verses, He likes to watch. Because God has the power. He can stop things whenever He likes. And further yet, plans to, according to the same Book.

Does this mean God does not exist, because I do not like it? No :) It just means I have concluded a subjective observation about this asserted agent. That's all...

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Spoiler alert...

Thus far, the answer to my own question is...

God enjoys watching.

If not, He would not set the stage for which He, and no other, has set.

Does this make it 'wrong'? Who am I to say? I am a subjective agent; with no basis for objective/absolute morals :)

If God does exist, He can obviously do whatever He wants, and however He wants.

Apparently, God knows all, set a stage, and is watching it play out in the way He already knows it will. I cannot come up with an alternative response, verses, He likes to watch. Because God has the power. He can stop things whenever He likes. And further yet, plans to, according to the same Book.

Does this mean God does not exist, because I do not like it? No :) It just means I have concluded a subjective observation about this asserted agent. That's all...

Lol. Literally any other religion could say the same thing.

• Haha
Reactions: cvanwey
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
It is not that He has to constantly view reruns, it's that we need to see the reruns. We are the problem.

Again, God already knows your final choice(s). Why does He watch, as He already knows how you will choose - (Him, other)?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Again, God already knows your final choice(s). Why does He watch, as He already knows how you will choose - (Him, other)?
God knew the outcome before it began.

So God removes all possible rebellion against His will by allowing us to live our lives. Who can argue the toss when you can see your entire life and your choices.

Every head will bow to Jesus Christ and that will not be against your will.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
God knew the outcome before it began.

So we agree this is the claim.

So God removes all possible rebellion against His will by allowing us to live our lives. Who can argue the toss when you can see your entire life and your choices.

It still doesn't look like you have addressed my direct question. Let me try the question, as worded from post #4 instead:

What is the point of watching the inevitable play out?

Every head will bow to Jesus Christ and that will not be against your will.

I'm aware of the verse. But this response, again, renders no relevance to the question.

Upvote 0