Auburn
✟58,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The virgin birth of Jesus Christ appears instrumental in understanding Christ's pre-existence and His coming down from heaven. Mine question here to those who are more familiar with church history and writings is how has this has been traditionally viewed buy Christians, specifically: When was His virgin birth manifested to the people? In John's Gospel, in more than one place, it is quite clear that the people are not aware of this testimony, but even Philip said when he found Nathanael, "We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph", which seems to show that Joseph and Mary had not testified this to the people openly. Now that's not to say that they haven't testified this to anyone, or even to some more closer relatives and/or acquaintances, but rather, that this was still kept secret from the people. Now of course, this may have been revealed to His disciples shortly at the beginning of His ministry, but that wouldn't change the main question here, which arises when we read in John's Gospel, "And they said, Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? how is it then that he saith, I came down from heaven?", to which He says nothing to clear up their ignorance, but rather, "Murmur not among yourselves. No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him, ..." How were they supposed to receive this truth concerning His pre-existence and descend from the Father without knowing that Joseph was not his actual father?

Now some may say that Joseph and Mary and/or Jesus Himself did testify this to the people at one point but they refused to receive this, but took it as a fable, so that He now leaves them to their own unbelieve. Mine question to such than is this: Do you think that there were any of those during His earthly ministry who were able to believe in His eternal Sonship and coming from heaven by the testimony of His works and other scriptures concerning Him, without knowing of His virgin birth?

Others will say that although it hasn't been revealed to the people, they should have know better from the scriptures than for the Christ to have had an earthly father, especially after the signs and miracles that he has worked before them. My question to these than is plain: So you believe that the testimony in scripture, which is primarily in Isaiah 7:14, was enough to reveal this mystery unto the people without a direct testimony from them, so as to hold the people accountable for stumbling in this truth?

Some may say that this was indeed hid at first, and was not held against them for their ignorance, but was to be revealed later. Than mine question is again, in what other way were the people supposed to receive this truth, that He came down from heaven, and how was not this their unbelieve not held against them?

And to those who would say plainly that it was hid at first, but the people should have had believed Him for His other testimonies, such as His doctrine, works, and the rest of the scriptures, than would you not agree that these are the primary witnesses?

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ADMIN HAT ON

This thread has been moved from the Traditional Theology Forum to here at the request of the OP.

ADMIN HAT OFF

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0