bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"first of the week" and "first day of the week" are the exact same in meaning.

bugkiller

Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

prophetjul

Jul 6, 2017
Sabah
✟16,173.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

prophetjul

Jul 6, 2017
Sabah
✟16,173.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"first of the week" and "first day of the week" are the exact same in meaning.

bugkiller
No, it is not.

Not to an ancient Jew, it is not.
They do not name the days of the week apart from the Sabbath.

"First of the weeks" has nothing to do with a 'day'.

Reactions: Shimshon
Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Question: What biblical proof is there to validate the belief that John was speaking of "Sunday" when using the words, "the Lord's Day".
I find it quite telling that not one person so far has been able to answer your question here. Instead they have engaged in the typical attack of the messenger. Is there any Christian here honest enough to answer the question outright without dodging it?

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
No, it is not.

Not to an ancient Jew, it is not.
They do not name the days of the week apart from the Sabbath.

"First of the weeks" has nothing to do with a 'day'.
Very subtle difference there. I posted "week" and you posted "weeks." So yes I agree "first of weeks" is not about a day. you will not get me with "first of the week."

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I do not think Paul is saying the first of sabbaths in I Cor 16. If he was, what is the first of the sabbaths? I think Paul is talking about Sunday. A more correct interpretation might be on the first day toward the sabbath.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would show quotes saying Lord's day to be a common phrase for our Sunday in historical records. But the OP asked for a Bible verse. I do not think the word Sunday naming a week day was available until 2d or 3d century.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would show quotes saying Lord's day to be a common phrase for our Sunday in historical records. But the OP asked for a Bible verse. I do not think the word Sunday naming a week day was available until 2d or 3d century.

bugkiller
I am aware of such quotes. But how do we know they accurately reflect what the apostles taught and believed? How do we know the people who spoke such things weren't in error? There must be something to reference in order to test these things (1 John 4:1). I refer to the Scriptures (2 tim. 3:16-17; Acts 17:11). But nothing in the Bible says Sunday is the Lord's Day. Therefore, I cannot accept it as fact.

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What you are saying to me is all historians are liars. So since everything is a fraud there can be no truth.

bugkiller

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What you are saying to me is all historians are liars. So since everything is a fraud there can be no truth.

bugkiller
No, that is not what I am saying. What I am saying is I use the Scriptures as a means to test doctrines concerning God. If the things people are teaching agree with what the Bible says, then I welcome it. If not, I don't accept it as coming from God.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wrote:

That is the true answer and I got attacked for posting it. Plus I didn't try to smear woodadooba.

The old covenant Sabbath had nothing to do with salvation. It was a law placed upon Israelites as part of the rules for living in Canaan. Ex19:5. Likewise, the covenant ratified by Jesus at the Cross has no such ritual laws of keeping days and years. Christians can ponder the question of why John used the term, but we will have to wait until we meet him in Heaven to get the answer.

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No, it's just that all the incidental occurrences happen on the first day of the week. Not once in the 40 days Jesus was here after the resurrection is anything recorded about the sabbath.

Reactions: bugkiller
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have no problem admitting I am in error. But I want the proof to come from the Bible, not man made traditions.
You demand an impossible. Your deal is the destruction of faith and facts to force the law on unsuspecting people.

bugkiller

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

"Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, every one who pierced him; and all tribes of the earth will wail on account of him. Even so, Amen."

Upvote 0

listed

are you?
May 14, 2011
✟53,797.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No, that is not what I am saying. What I am saying is I use the Scriptures as a means to test doctrines concerning God. If the things people are teaching agree with what the Bible says, then I welcome it. If not, I don't accept it as coming from God.
I don't see any exegetical efforts on your part to establish anything.

Reactions: bugkiller
Upvote 0