Virginia
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes... My point was that unity is a good thing; and therefore the idea that non-denominationalism is some sort of Christian ideal is something to be critiqued, at least.

Your last sentence is interesting and I'm not sure about that. The Church of South India might provide a counter-example. But I think it's more complex than just internal unity pulling against bonds with other groups; there are other real and significant issues in play.

I think the ultimate answer to all of this is that, once the Lord returns, all denominations are going to be replaced with one aka Jesus. I really dont see the Lord coming down and saying, "Ok then.. So we're all Catholics (insert every other denomination) now."

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,653.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The problem is that the non-denomination is a denomination in itself. This seems to be the case by virtue of the self-professed separation the non-denominational has from historic or more organised communions, Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant. The latter of which I find it particularly hard to find a justification for why you can't belong to one type of Protestant Church already in existence. Why the need to create your own?

It doesn't solve the problem of disunity but exacerbates it and makes the lack of unity all the more apparent and observable.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that the non-denomination is a denomination in itself. This seems to be the case by virtue of the self-professed separation the non-denominational has from historic or more organised communions, Orthodox, Catholic and Protestant. The latter of which I find it particularly hard to find a justification for why you can't belong to one type of Protestant Church already in existence. Why the need to create your own? .
A difference of opinion on a matter that is thought to be of importance, of course. And remember that the Catholic church is where all of these denominations you are thinking of ultimately came from, so it is not as though only Protestant churches experience splits.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Acts 2
47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

I wasn't raised in any church.

Praise the Lord!

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I never understood denominations. Its just something man-made to further separate us from one another.

Was Jesus a Catholic? Did he ever say once to pray to his mother Mary? No.
The golden plates of LDS focus our attention away from the Lord.

I believe non-denominational is the closest we can get to what the Lord originally intended.

All the pomp and glamor and fancy dress and focus on saints.. where did Jesus ever ONCE tell his disciples to do this? In fact, his entire life was on living a life separate from that stuff.

Good point and one that has been asked now for centuries.

If you think about it for a moment you will understand that every religion is divided into other divisions or sects of the same thing. Christianity is no different.

We as Christians, just like everyone else, are consumed with pride, selfishness, stubbornness, Power and yes, hypocrisy. As such, add to that the fact that we do not respond well to those who challenge our beliefs. If you do not think this is the case, just read through the threads on this very site.

These things always have led to debates, and then divisions within the church and then separate "denominations" usually based on the interpretations of Scripture. However, even then it is more of a failure to ACCEPT the Scriptures than it is an interpretation problem.

Example:
Scripture says that a WOMAN can not be a Pastor or DEACON. But the Pentecostals and Lutherans and Episcopalians say that the Scripture means "HUMANITY" instead of MAN.
That is NOT an interpretation problem but instead it is a "rejection" of the actual Scripture and a replacement of what they want it to say.
YES it is just that simple.

Example:
Scriptures DO NOT say that there is a place or a process called "Purgatory". It is not found in the KJV Bible.
However the Catholic religion wants it to be there so out of "Traditions" comes a Church Doctrine.
YES it is just that simple.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I believe non-denominational is the closest we can get to what the Lord originally intended.
Spare me. There is no consistency from one "non-denominational" community to the next.

"Non-denominational" communities are really just small denominations. And they're forever at the mercy of whoever is leading the community at any given moment.

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,653.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A difference of opinion on a matter that is thought to be of importance, of course. And remember that the Catholic church is where all of these denominations you are thinking of ultimately came from, so it is not as though only Protestant churches experience splits.

It's not about Churches experiencing splits, its that within Protestantism there are already hundreds of, if not thousands of, groups that have so many different beliefs and emphasizes, so to decide to start another non-denominational Church seems to weaken not only Christendom generally but Protestantism in particular. I don't see the practical need for non-denominationalism in Protestantism given how many different Protestant Churches with wildly varied beliefs, there are.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's not about Churches experiencing splits, its that within Protestantism there are already hundreds of, if not thousands of, groups that have so many different beliefs and emphasizes, so to decide to start another non-denominational Church seems to weaken not only Christendom generally but Protestantism in particular. I don't see the practical need for non-denominationalism in Protestantism given how many different Protestant Churches with wildly varied beliefs, there are.
I am more agreeable with the way you put it this time. Given the range of churches that currently exist in Christianity, it hardly seems necessary for anyone to start up a new non-denominational congregation.

The main reason that these churches pop up owes IMO to people who do are confused about the differences between the denominations but think the perceived rivalry between them must be wrong. So they think they are taking a neutral, generically Christian approach. And that impulse has been reflected in the decision taken by many denominational congregations to change their names to something like "Church of the Cross" or "Victory Community Church" even while they retain their denominational affiliations.

Upvote 0

af2018af2018

Jun 12, 2019
Virginia
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Spare me. There is no consistency from one "non-denominational" community to the next.

"Non-denominational" communities are really just small denominations. And they're forever at the mercy of whoever is leading the community at any given moment.

I said "Non-denominational".. not a specific group claiming to be "Non-denominational".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

af2018af2018

Jun 12, 2019
Virginia
✟16,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is that supposed to make sense?

Apparently not to you. Youre getting stuck on the term. Let me clarify (sure it wont help)...

I'm saying I believe the Lord originally designed religion to NOT have a denomination. Forget 'non-denominational' churches. Im saying NO denomination.

Anyways... seems like youre here to argue so have fun.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Apparently not to you. Youre getting stuck on the term. Let me clarify (sure it wont help)...

I'm saying I believe the Lord originally designed religion to NOT have a denomination. Forget 'non-denominational' churches. Im saying NO denomination.

Hm. That sounds a little familiar...

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Actually....Christianity is not a religion but instead it is a PERSON.

We, man has changed the meaning and added denominations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I never understood denominations. Its just something man-made to further separate us from one another.

Was Jesus a Catholic? Did he ever say once to pray to his mother Mary? No.
The golden plates of LDS focus our attention away from the Lord.

All the pomp and glamor and fancy dress and focus on saints.. where did Jesus ever ONCE tell his disciples to do this? In fact, his entire life was on living a life separate from that stuff.

Non-denominations are just smaller denominations. You don't avoid the division in the Church by being more divisive.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: parousia70
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I find it cynical that an ostensible plea for tolerance is disguising yet another opportunity to bash Catholicism.

I am not Catholic myself, but it's hard to argue with some of the saints and religious figures that Roman Catholicism has produced. Has a non-denom church produced this? I don't think so.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I find it cynical that an ostensible plea for tolerance is disguising yet another opportunity to bash Catholicism.

I am not Catholic myself, but it's hard to argue with some of the saints and religious figures that Roman Catholicism has produced. Has a non-denom church produced this? I don't think so.

William Carey .
Billy Graham.
Martin Luther King Jr.
J. Vernon Magee.
Oliver B. Green.
Dwight L. Moody.
Charles Spurgeon.

HOMEWORK and STUDY is more important than time spent on internet sites.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,417.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0