Visit site
✟1,968.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Eh, Colin Meloy is kind of like Brockie. You either really like his voice or you can't stand it.

I heard one of the singles from the new Decemberists album the other night. I need this album so bad.

Upvote 0

philN

Veteran
Mar 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
✟2,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love that Laura Veirs is on the new Decemberists album. I really like her alot.

I can only get into about half of the Crane Wife though. I wasn't a huge fan of the Tain, and a few of the songs are reminiscent of that.

I'm still loving the new Hold Steady record. I think I may go see them on the 30th.

Has anyone heard the new Beck album? I'm curious what direction he has gone with it -- whether it is more like Guero/Odelay, Midnight Vultures, or Sea Change. I like the idea of having do-it-yourself album artwork and lo-fi music videos for each song -- it seems like Beck's trying to get his audience involved in the creative process, which is interesting. I wonder if it will catch on.

Upvote 0

white_frog914

I love you but I'm still a liar
Oct 4, 2004
Kokomo, Indiana
Visit site
✟1,968.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
See, I loved the Tain, especially when they performed it in concert in its entirety.

I still need to give the new Hold Steady album a listen, I probably will in the next few days.

From what I've heard, the new Beck album is more like Guero, I haven't personally listened to it though.

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyone heard the new Jedi Mind Trick song with the girl from My Brightest Diamond? It's alright. There's an MP3 in the Asthmatic Kitty site.

I don't know what the big deal is about JMT, btw. Average delivery, average lyrics. Eh.
I haven't given it the listen that I should... although I own the CD.

Upvote 0

blackwasp

Skinless
Nov 18, 2003
Midwest
Visit site
✟4,736.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
Have fun with that, Andy.

I haven't been to a show in over a year (Sufjan last September), but I'll be seeing Joanna Newsom Friday night and Bonnie Prince Saturday night in Louisville. It's my good fortune that those are my two dream concerts. Let's hope they don't disappoint...

Upvote 0

The Theory

Bagpipes well could he blow.
May 23, 2002
Lancaster, PA
Visit site
✟2,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Speaking of Joanna Newsom, her new CD has been gathering a lot of great reviews from major publications. So it is interesting to me that no store that I've checked locally carries it. Not even the too-hip-for-words indie store.

what in the world?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The Theory said:
Speaking of Joanna Newsom, her new CD has been gathering a lot of great reviews from major publications. So it is interesting to me that no store that I've checked locally carries it. Not even the too-hip-for-words indie store.

what in the world?

Strange. It managed to make it onto Newsnight Review a few weeks ago which is a high-brow arts program from the Beeb. I've seen it in records shops here too, even the HMVs and the like.

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Her new album is the best I've heard this year. Only she could top My Brightest Diamond's Bring Me The Workhorse. "Sawdust & Diamonds" is such a great song, the way she sings...[wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth]ing lovely.

Upvote 0

nadroj1985

A bittersweet truth: sum, ergo cogito
Dec 10, 2003
Lexington, KY
✟15,543.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if it's an improvement. It's too different to really be compared productively. But it's absolutely wonderful -- no doubt in my mind about that. Joanna is the best artist making music right now -- she has more power, more honesty, more pure love of beauty than anyone. It's really not even a close race.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nadroj1985

A bittersweet truth: sum, ergo cogito
Dec 10, 2003
Lexington, KY
✟15,543.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
... And to add to my previous post: she's the best live performer as well. Just saw her last night in Louisville.

Actually, it was quite a shame. She was wonderful, but there was a problem with the monitor the whole night, and she apparently couldn't hear herself singing at all. And the crowd was composed mostly of jackasses who were more interested in drinking, talking, and smoking than listening to a harpist going on for 12 minutes a song. She apparently got pretty angry. She played "Bridges and Balloons," "The Book of Right-On," and an old English (Scottish, maybe) song that I wasn't familiar with, and then played the first three songs of the new record. She started into "Only Skin," but was apparently so frustrated that she didn't want to finish it, and stopped abruptly in the middle of it and left. It was too bad, but it was still a pretty substantial set and she was, despite the technical difficulties, completely unbelievable.

Upvote 0

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
I'd love to see her live, but indie artists never come to Miami. It [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]es me off. We only the get the rappers and whatever is "hot" at the time, which lately has been only rappers. At least Kelly Clarkson came here :)

Upvote 0

white_frog914

I love you but I'm still a liar
Oct 4, 2004
Kokomo, Indiana
Visit site
✟1,968.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hah, sadly, I have the same thing to deal with in Atlanta. Way too many hardcore and pop/punk bands for my taste

Although the Decemberists seem to love us a bit, and let's hope we left a good impression on Sufjy.

Also, I really really really really really really want the My Brightest Diamond album (saw her open for Sufjy...<3) but I haven't been able to drive over to Tower to buy it (hoping it doesn't close before I'm able to...)

Upvote 0