The Holocaust is not a justification for being utterly stupid today

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Because of the Holocaust, any form or even hint of Anti-Semitism (basically anti-Jewish actions) became outlawed.

The post-war policy greatly benefited the Jews, not only by costly war reparations from the innocent German civilians (who also hate and are also victims of the Nazis) but by also invading the lands in the Palestine with impunity.

The Anti-Anti-Semitism movement led the world to turn a blind eye against the injustices perpetrated by the Jews.

Now, this movement has taken a new form. It is now called "Political Correctness" which now encompasses a much larger group to turn a blind eye on.

I'm starting to wonder if the WWII is really a decisive victory but whose victory?? Who really won??
I agree there shouldn't be specific anti-semitism regarding speech.

In fact in France, Holocaust denial is punishable by the law, which I'd say is going too far. People should be free to say what they think.

And criticising Israeli policy is of course fine.

The problem is when we replace the state of Israel with the phrase "the Jews".

"The Jews" have done this, "the Jews" have done that, when as a previous poster said, there are British Jews and American Jews, etc.

Not trying to accuse you of anything, but it's a lot more helpful to discussion when we differentiate the two.

Upvote 0

aieyiamfu

Nov 13, 2015
✟27,924.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I sometimes get frustrated with people who conflate criticism of Israeli policy with anti-semitism. But that doesn't change the fact that anti-semitism exists in many places, and is inexcusable.
Anti- semitism is very strong against Arab Muslims in particular.

Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm disappointed how this thread turned out to be.

My concern is not about the Jews, nor the Holocaust.

It's about how the western world has turned a blind eye against the threat of Islam.
Wow, that totally is unclear from the first post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,054.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wow, that totally is unclear from the first post.

I was saying just because someone expressed racism in a whole new level (The Holocaust of Hitler), means we will crush any form of racism, even anything that implies racism (the really stupid part) even if it means turning a blind eye to the truth.

Political Correctness was born out of ideals stretching back to WW2.

Ironically, the movement which was originally thought to prevent a man like Hitler or the Nazis from ever rising up to power is being exploited to allow a political party as vile as the Nazis to run amok in our streets!

Upvote 0

ShaulHaTarsi

Jul 9, 2016
USA
✟8,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm disappointed how this thread turned out to be.

My concern is not about the Jews, nor the Holocaust.

It's about how the western world has turned a blind eye against the threat of Islam.

The Holocaust isn't the reason, just one of its causes. I think it's interesting to note how tolerant most European nations were of Jews before the holocaust, and that it more or less took people by surprise. Nevertheless people found in the Jews a scapegoat for their own political, moral, and economic failings.

Islam is just filling the vacuum left by an apathetic nominally Christian culture. I do fear that something catastrophic may happen in Europe (for both Muslims and non-Muslims) if attitudes don't change.

Nevertheless, this has nothing to do with Jews today. I find the inflation of the importance of Jewish people counterproductive to both Jew and non-Jew alike, no matter if this importance is positive or negative.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Ironically, the movement which was originally thought to prevent a man like Hitler or the Nazis from ever rising up to power is being exploited to allow a political party as vile as the Nazis to run amok in our streets!
Which party do you mean?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ShaulHaTarsi

Jul 9, 2016
USA
✟8,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course that is what you would like to believe, the truth is a little different.
http://assets.cambridge.org/97805217/73089/excerpt/9780521773089_excerpt.pdf

I did not mean to say there was no antisemitism in Europe, but it's interesting to note that the article focuses on countries like Russia, Romania, and Hungary, and when using "Europe", I generally refer to Central/Western Europe. Eastern Europe being very different culturally and religiously.

Do keep in mind I said tolerance. I didn't say that Europeans were all great lovers of Jews, but considering the general state of Jews in most of those countries even a century before, being ghettoized. The idea of a holocaust against them would go against the prevailing trends of liberalization and toleration.

The article also mentions global apathy towards accepting Jewish refugees but that in itself does not equate to a prevailing sense of antisemitism in the way some would like to paint it. It is certainly a tragedy that it happened. Antisemitism is truly different than Islamophobia in its historical and religious connections.

[EDIT: Rereading the article, it does actually indicate that the general antisemitism was essentially a reversal of some enlightenment-era attitudes and started at the year 1870.. though I would argue it began a bit later)

In light of all the above, I meant to make clear that thoughts about Jews did not actively fill the European mind, and that Jews were used as cultural scapegoats rather than the target of genuine satanic wrath against the Jews inherent in the European DNA, and that attitudes at that time (before WWI) were in the opposite direction.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I wish I could.
?
oh... Navy? What's a goat locker? (I was USNAD /medical then pharmacy then reserves but NEVER set foot on a boat.)
I saw goats in Washington State though! :) About 50 of them, they followed "the goat lady" wherever she went ! :) (She lived about 30 years longer after the doctor's gave up on her, and actually got better when they said she could not)

Also, what could be your SECOND wish if possible ?

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What's a goat locker?

The Goat Locker is a storage space on US Navy ships. It has hooks where we hang the crusty, dried out Chief Petty Officers. They are then salted and kept in storage until somebody is needed to hold a coffee cup.

Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0