The history of how Sunday worship came about.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Christians keep no literal new moons and no literal Sabbaths.

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
Col 2:16-23

So, Isaiah 56 is either not literal or is just about the Mosaic Law era, till Christ.
The context to Col 2:16-17 is in Col 2:14 and points to Hebrews 10:1-22, Heb9 and Heb 7.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

It’s not referring to something God personally spoke and wrote with His own finger that is a commandment and is holy and blessed by God that no man has the authority to reverse Num 23:20- Jesus tells us to live by His every Word. Mat 4:4

Jesus said no one can edit even a dot of an i or a cross of a t from His holy law- so the commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy is how God wrote and God spoke as no one has authority to countermand His Word.

The apostles kept every literal Sabbath decades after the Cross as they were servants of Jesus. Acts 13:42-44 Acts 18:4

Guess we will have to agree to disagree and all will get sorted out soon enough, but I would not want to edit a thus saith the Lord, but instead we should obey through faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,657.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The context to Col 2:16-17 is in Col 2:14 and points to Hebrews 10:1-22, Heb9 and Heb 7.

Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

It’s not referring to something God personally spoke and wrote with His own finger that is a commandment and is holy and blessed by God that no man has the authority to reverse Num 23:20- Jesus tells us to live by His every Word. Mat 4:4

Jesus said no one can edit even a dot of an i or a cross of a t from His holy law- so the commandment to keep the Sabbath day holy is how God wrote and God spoke as no one has authority to countermand His Word.

The apostles kept every literal Sabbath decades after the Cross as they were servants of Jesus. Acts 13:42-44 Acts 18:4

Guess we will have to agree to disagree and all will get sorted out soon enough, but I would not want to edit a thus saith the Lord, but instead we should obey through faith.
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

New moons and sabbaths were just shadows of the reality that came in Christ. It got sorted out in the 1st century, already. Therefore, Isaiah 56 is either not literal or is about the era till Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

New moons and sabbaths were just shadows of the reality that came in Christ. It got sorted in the 1st century, already. Therefore, Isaiah 56 is either not literal or is about the era till Christ.
Read my thread on the Waldenses to see the fallacy you're committing..

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What will you do when you come before God on judgment day and find out you've been wrong all the time and people have tried their best to help you understand the truth?
God chose Paul to teach all the doctrines of Christianity.
I am not under the covenant made at Sinai.
I can post you scriptures teaching the doctrine of judgment, just ask. Chances are better that God will ask, "what have you done with my Son," rather than; "what have you done with my law?" If we're judged by the law all will die.
Obviously not just for the Mosaic people, unless one thinks only the Jews will be saved. We are told in His covenant there is no Jew or Gentile just those in Christ grafted in through faith. Gal 3:26-28
The bible proves that every word from the mouth of God (written in the OT) to Abraham, Moses and all the prophets had to be fulfilled or God made a mistake.
The Abrahamic covenant is considered as an everlasting covenant.
The Mosaic covenant ended at the cross (with Sabbath)
430yrs before the law was given, God promised to Abraham that all the nations of the world would be blessed through His seed (Jesus). The scriptures argue that if keeping the law was a condition of salvation then Jesus died in vain.
Gal 2:21I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Gal 3:17And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
Gal 3:18For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Gal 3:19¶Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

So, Galatians 3 proves that God's plan of salvation included all nations, not just the Jews.
Secondly Gal 2 and 3 proves that salvation is not based on keeping the law, it's based on faith in Jesus Christ.
Third, Gal 3 proves that the law was ordained by angels and given to Moses as the Mediator (not instituted at creation as some false doctrines teaches.)

Under the New Covenant there is no Jews or Gentiles in a sense because we are all adopted as sons and daughters into His family.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God chose Paul to teach all the doctrines of Christianity.
I am not under the covenant made at Sinai.
I can post you scriptures teaching the doctrine of judgment, just ask. Chances are better that God will ask, "what have you done with my Son," rather than; "what have you done with my law?" If we're judged by the law all will die.

The bible proves that every word from the mouth of God (written in the OT) to Abraham, Moses and all the prophets had to be fulfilled or God made a mistake.
The Abrahamic covenant is considered as an everlasting covenant.
The Mosaic covenant ended at the cross (with Sabbath)
430yrs before the law was given, God promised to Abraham that all the nations of the world would be blessed through His seed (Jesus). The scriptures argue that if keeping the law was a condition of salvation then Jesus died in vain.
Gal 2:21I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Gal 3:17And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
Gal 3:18For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

Gal 3:19¶Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

So, Galatians 3 proves that God's plan of salvation included all nations, not just the Jews.
Secondly Gal 2 and 3 proves that salvation is not based on keeping the law, it's based on faith in Jesus Christ.
Third, Gal 3 proves that the law was ordained by angels and given to Moses as the Mediator (not instituted at creation as some false doctrines teaches.)

Under the New Covenant there is no Jews or Gentiles in a sense because we are all adopted as sons and daughters into His family.
I believe in God’s eternal covenant where He writes His law in our hearts and minds. Hebrews 8:10 as His new covenant is established on better promises, not better or new laws. Heb 8:6 as you can’t make something that is perfect Psa 19:7 more perfect. God makes no mistakes, people do - what He wrote and spoke is perfect because God is perfect and Jesus tells us to live by His every Word. Mat 4:4

Which is what we see Jesus and the apostles teaching and keeping the Ten Commandments all throughout their life Mat 5:18-30 Mat 7:7-16 Mat 15:3-14, Mat 19:17-19 Mark 10:19 including the Sabbath. Luke 23:56, Luke 4:16 Acts 13:42-44 Acts 18:4 Jesus said the Sabbath will be kept before He reveals Himself Isa 56:1-6 and forever Isa 66:23 God’s faithful keep everything He tells us to and does as He is the Way and led by example, our example to follow 1 John 2:6

Upvote 0

brakelite

Mar 12, 2009
Victoria
Visit site
✟18,302.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You understand I hope that the word 'fulfil' doesn't necessarily mean abolish right? Jesus Himself said,
KJV Matthew 5:17-18
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

So I think you need to reassess what you actually mean by fulfil, and what law was fulfilled and how.
The scriptures argue that if keeping the law was a condition of salvation then Jesus died in vain.
Actually, that isn't what it's saying. That scripture says nothing about keeping the law as a condition of salvation, or otherwise. It says that righteousness doesn't come by the law, but by faith through Jesus. Of course, that I can agree with. I can also agree that one cannot be justified through obedience to the law. But that doesn't mean that obedience isn't a condition of salvation. Are you suggesting that mankind became lost through disobedience, but can be saved while still in a state of disobedience? You need to ask the Lord and read the scriptures to discover what righteousness actually is.
The law was added because of transgressions. Added to what? If there were already transgressions, then there must have already been a law, because without the law there is no transgression. So we must be talking about more than one law here. A law that identified sin, and another law to deal with the sin problem right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

New moons and sabbaths were just shadows of the reality that came in Christ
That is true of the animal sacrifice ceremonies. They were given in animal sacrifice in Lev 23.
But the TEN were at Creation which is specifically when the Sabbath Commandment made the Sabbath day holy according to both Gen 2:2-3 and Ex 20:11.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,657.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is true of the animal sacrifice ceremonies. They were given in animal sacrifice in Lev 23.
But the TEN were at Creation which is specifically when the Sabbath Commandment made the Sabbath day holy according to both Gen 2:2-3 and Ex 20:11.

New moons and sabbaths were just shadows of the reality that came in Christ

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You understand I hope that the word 'fulfil' doesn't necessarily mean abolish right? Jesus Himself said,
KJV Matthew 5:17-18
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

So I think you need to reassess what you actually mean by fulfil, and what law was fulfilled and how.
First thing, What I said and meant had to be fulfilled (accomplished) is everything that God said would come to pass.
Secondly, your understanding of Matt 5:17,18 is questionable, Jesus is calling Genesis- Deuteronomy the Law, and the books from Joshua-Malachi he's calling the prophets. So Jesus is not saying the law won't change, He's saying what is written in the law and the prophets won't change. This next text proves that change about the law was written in the law and the prophets.
Rom 3:21But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,

The big question is What is righteousness?
Actually, that isn't what it's saying. That scripture says nothing about keeping the law as a condition of salvation, or otherwise. It says that righteousness doesn't come by the law, but by faith through Jesus. Of course, that I can agree with. I can also agree that one cannot be justified through obedience to the law. But that doesn't mean that obedience isn't a condition of salvation. Are you suggesting that mankind became lost through disobedience, but can be saved while still in a state of disobedience? You need to ask the Lord and read the scriptures to discover what righteousness actually is.

The law was added because of transgressions. Added to what? If there were already transgressions, then there must have already been a law, because without the law there is no transgression. So we must be talking about more than one law here. A law that identified sin, and another law to deal with the sin problem right?
Added to what? Added to the promise otherwise known as the covenant made with Abraham,
Gal 3:17
And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
Gal 3:18
For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
Gal 3:19

Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

Clue: the fact that the law was given to Moses and not Abraham is clear, because the law required death for sin. The promise only required faith. Paul argues that the promise would be nullified if the law was a condition,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What will you do when you come before God on judgment day and find out you've been wrong all the time and people have tried their best to help you understand the truth?
I have the word of God saying: For God so loved the world, that He gave His Son, and whosoever believeth in Him, shall not perish but have everlasting life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟481,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have the word of God saying: For God so loved the world, that He gave His Son, and whosoever believeth in Him, shall not perish but have everlasting life.
Keep reading, there’s some important stipulations one would miss if they stop in the middle of the passage. John 3:18-21

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Romans 11: 13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office:
14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.
15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?
16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
18 Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
19 Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in.
20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.
23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
24 For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree?

2Corinthians 13: 5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Paul gives we Gentile Christians some very stern warnings that we can be lost and that we have to know ourselves very well or we will meet the same fate the Pharisees have.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

The annual shadow Sabbaths in Lev 23 - originated in animal sacrifice pointing forward to Christ.

The Ex 20:8-11 Sabbath did not... nor did it in Gen 2:2-3

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,657.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
BobRyan said:

The annual shadow Sabbaths in Lev 23 - originated in animal sacrifice pointing forward to Christ.

The Ex 20:8-11 Sabbath did not... nor did it in Gen 2:2-3
Paul does not say "annual".

Upvote 0

brakelite

Mar 12, 2009
Victoria
Visit site
✟18,302.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The big question is What is righteousness?
In the sermon on the mount Christ exhorts His listeners to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. So what is the righteousness of God, and why is it so important that we are to seek it on an equal level of priority as His kingdom?

James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Romans 7:7 ¶ What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Righteousness is holiness; likeness to God, and God is love. (1 John 4:16) It is conformity to the law of God, for "all Thy commandments are righteousness" Psalm 119:72, and "love is the fulfilling of the law". Rom 13:10
Righteousness is love, and love is the true light and life of God. The righteousness of God is embodied in Christ, and we receive righteousness by receiving Him.
Jesus speaking...."But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness"....(Matt 6:33)

Yes, it is only faith, but to what purpose? Just so we can get to heaven and that's it? We have this wonderful gift of faith and exercise it for just our benefit, for our own selfish eternal ends? Jesus said we must seek the kingdom of God yes, and we ought always be grateful for the salvation/redemption through the shed blood that makes that possible, but Jesus said that we , in equal importance to the kingdom, seek also God's righteousness.
I think we ought to know what precisely God's righteousness is.

1 Cor 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

Rom.5:17 For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.

It is evident that the righteousness which comes to us as a free gift by faith is the righteousness of God....so again, what is the righteousness of God?

Psalm 119:172 ¶ My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness.

The commandments of God are righteousness...not just in the abstract, but they are the righteousness of God.

Isa 51:6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.
7 Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their reviling.

They who know righteousness are those in whose heart is God's law, thus the law of God is the righteousness of God. We can prove this another way....

All unrighteousness is sin....1 John 5:17 and whosoever commits sin transgresseth also the law, for sin is the transgression of the law 1 John 3:4

Sin is the transgression of the law, and it is also unrighteousness, therefore sin and unrighteousness are the same. So if unrighteousness is transgression against the law, surely righteousness must be obedience to the law. Now we need to know "what law"?

It is the law which says "thou shalt not covet". because Paul tells us that it was that law which convinced him of sin. (Romans 7:7.) The law of ten commandments then, is the measure of the righteousness of God. Since it is the law of God, and is righteousness, it must be the righteousness of God. In fact, there really is no other righteousness. It is a written manifestation of the character and nature of God. God is also love, and Paul tells us that love is the fulfilling of the law. Thus if we are to seek God's righteousness, then we are to seek obedience, through faith, to God's law, by love. Thus rather than doing away with the law, (how can it be possible to do away with God's righteousness?) through love we establish the law. All by faith. Not our righteousness, but God's.

So Solomon was perfectly correct and agreed with the text of Matt 6:33 when he said:
"Let us hear the conclusion to the whole matter: fear God and keep His commandments; for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgement, with every secret thing, whether they be good, or whether they be evil." Eccl 12:13, 14.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brakelite

Mar 12, 2009
Victoria
Visit site
✟18,302.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
They were the only ones that were shadows of things to come. The only Sabbaths that were made The only Sabbaths or feasts that pointed directly to Christ, and ultimately fulfilled by Him and made redundant by an act of love within the context of the gospel.
They were the only Sabbaths that were intimately connected to and bound up in God's remedy for sin, they being essential ingredients and indispensable parts of the sanctuary services and the OT religious economy.
The weekly Sabbath was not instituted as a remedy for the sin problem, but rather as a memorial to creation, and redemption. It was instituted in the beginning before sin made it's presence felt. It was instituted at creation, a creation established without any input from man, and granted to man as a gift. So also with redemption. No input from man. There is nothing we can contribute to our salvation. And the observance of the Sabbath, that is resting and recognising the Sabbath as a gift, that we testify and acknowledge the grace and mercy of a God of infinite unfathomable unconditional love.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,657.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They were the only ones that were shadows of things to come. The only Sabbaths that were made The only Sabbaths or feasts that pointed directly to Christ, and ultimately fulfilled by Him and made redundant by an act of love within the context of the gospel.
They were the only Sabbaths that were intimately connected to and bound up in God's remedy for sin, they being essential ingredients and indispensable parts of the sanctuary services and the OT religious economy.
The weekly Sabbath was not instituted as a remedy for the sin problem, but rather as a memorial to creation, and redemption. It was instituted in the beginning before sin made it's presence felt. It was instituted at creation, a creation established without any input from man, and granted to man as a gift. So also with redemption. No input from man. There is nothing we can contribute to our salvation. And the observance of the Sabbath, that is resting and recognising the Sabbath as a gift, that we testify and acknowledge the grace and mercy of a God of infinite unfathomable unconditional love.
Its your commentary, but its not in the Bible. According to the logic of the verse, its the weekly Sabbath.

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival [i.e. every year], a New Moon celebration [i.e. every month] or a Sabbath day [i.e. every week]. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

The annual festival was already mentioned in the verse, before the mentioning of the Sabbath.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟113,594.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

True, and neither does the Torah, "annual Sabbaths" is a term probably taken from Judaism but which does not exist anywhere in the Torah. They (SDA's) have taken the word shabbaton, (Hebrew שבתון, e.g. Lev 23:39, not the similar Greek word σαββατον), and have turned a shabbaton-rest into a Shabbat when the scripture says no such thing.

• Informative
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

brakelite

Mar 12, 2009
Victoria
Visit site
✟18,302.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
True, and neither does the Torah, "annual Sabbaths" is a term probably taken from Judaism but which does not exist anywhere in the Torah. They (SDA's) have taken the word shabbaton, (Hebrew שבתון, e.g. Lev 23:39, not the similar Greek word σαββατον), and have turned a shabbaton-rest into a Shabbat when the scripture says no such thing.
KJV Leviticus 16:29-31
29 And this shall be a statute for ever unto you: that in the seventh month, on the tenth day of the month, ye shall afflict your souls, and do no work at all, whether it be one of your own country, or a stranger that sojourneth among you:
30 For on that day shall the priest make an atonement for you, to cleanse you, that ye may be clean from all your sins before the LORD.
31 It shall be a sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute for ever.

How often did the day of Atonement come around on the Jewish calendar?

Upvote 0

Ragdoll

Apr 26, 2022
Madison, WI
✟22,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
I just want to point out a translation error I never noticed before. This error is found in the KJV Bible as quoted in the OP. The verse is Acts 17:30 and from the KJV. Even the Geneva Bible gets this one right which is extremely rare in these cases where the KJV mistranslates a word. Usually anything mistranslated in the KJV was taken from the Genesis Bible which reads 90% like the KJV. However, other translations, including the Tyndale, reads overlooked the ignorance and not winked at ignorance as the KJV says.

The words overlooked and winked do not mean the same thing in context. If God winked at ignorance that would be act of approval. But God never approved of sin. He simply overlooked it.

Acts 17:30, New Matthew's Bible (modern spelling and grammar of the 1537 Matthew Bible).

"And God overlooked the time of this ignorance. But now he bids all people"

The word overlooked is used in every translation I checked out except the KJV. So in this verse another translation should be used.

Upvote 0