The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Greetings. Is that anything like the greek suffix used on this greek word?

Romans 10:18 But I am saying 'no not they hear? Indeed-surely into all the land came-out the voices of them and into the every ends of the being-homed/oikou-menhV <3625> the declarations of them.

3625. oikoumene oy-kou-men'-ay feminine participle present passive of 3611 (as noun, by implication, of 1093); land, i.e. the (terrene part of the) globe; specially, the Roman empire:--earth, world.
3624. oikos oy'-kos of uncertain affinity; a dwelling (more or less extensive, literal or figurative); by implication, a family (more or less related, literally or figuratively):--home, house(-hold), temple.
3306. meno men'-o a primary verb; to stay (in a given place, state, relation or expectancy):--abide, continue, dwell, endure, be present, remain, stand, tarry (for), X thine own.
3303. men men a primary particle; properly, indicative of affirmation or concession (in fact); usually followed by a contrasted clause with 1161 (this one, the former, etc.):--

Didn't we do this already?

Yes they are related.

In fact you will probably find on every page of the NT some word with that suffix.

In just the same way you can be sure to find a word with suffix -ing or -ed in any English text (i.e. "walking", "walked").

But note the "t" in "klementos", a Greek word wouldn't have the "t".

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I used an interlinear to find words that had the same case as that word and up popped the "dragon" in revelation.....Also for the lion in Rev 13:2....

http://www.scripture4all.org/

Reve 12:7 And became battle in the heaven the Micael and the messengers of him do battle with the dragon/drakon-toV <1404> and the dragon battles and the messengers of it/him

with also/and clement/klhmen-toV <2815>

Reve 13:2 And the wild beast I saw was like leopard and the feet of it as of bear and the mouth of it as mouth of lion/leon-toV <3023>

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used an interlinear to find words that had the same case as that word and up popped the "dragon" in revelation.....

http://www.scripture4all.org/

Reve 12:7 And became battle in the heaven the Micael and the messengers of him do battle with the dragon/drakon-toV <1404> and the dragon battles and the messengers of it/him

with also/and clement/klhmen-toV <2815>

These are entirely different patterns of suffixes.

There are, in Greek words with forms based on -ont-, and then words with forms based on -men-.

But -ment- doesn't occur.

Compare, in English "giving" and "given", the existence of these forms doesn't mean something like "giveng" is a legitimate form.

Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Klhmhs" is still agreed to be taken from the Latin "clemens".

What we are still talking about is a participle ending. So that means we are supposing that from "klhmhs" Greek went on to coin a verb "klhmew" from which the participle in question could be produced, and that moreover we are producing the passive aorist participle for the name, thus the name become something like "was being merciful".

Names generally are in the active indicating a property someone always has rather than a property they had at some period in the past (but no longer have).

But even this doesn't seem right, because we should still need the passive aorist infix, so it should be something like "klhmh0entos" (using '0' for theta).

Otherwise we'd expect the genitive of the active participle to be "klhmountos".

Upvote 0

Kreikkalainen

You can't spell or pronounce me
May 3, 2008
Here
✟16,001.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"Klhmhs" is still agreed to be taken from the Latin "clemens".

Absolutely.

What we are still talking about is a participle ending. So that means we are supposing that from "klhmhs" Greek went on to coin a verb "klhmew" from which the participle in question could be produced, and that moreover we are producing the passive aorist participle for the name, thus the name become something like "was being merciful".

No I don't think I would claim that, because I've never heard of that verb & it simply doesn't sound right to me. I'm not talking about a participle at all. I'm not saying klhmentos is the genitive of a participle. Klhmentos is the genitive of a common name (= a noun). What I did, I thought of a word which forms the genitive in a similar way, just to show that the -entos genitive ending is native to greek, therefore there is no reason to look for a hidden second constituent word with an additional meaning behind it.

I don't know if you agree with the overall thinking, but I hope you do agree with the last bolded sentence, which I think is what we've both been trying to prove in here :).

Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟22,153.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely.

No I don't think I would claim that, because I've never heard of that verb & it simply doesn't sound right to me. I'm not talking about a participle at all. I'm not saying klhmentos is the genitive of a participle. Klhmentos is the genitive of a common name (= a noun). What I did, I thought of a word which forms the genitive in a similar way, just to show that the -entos genitive ending is native to greek, therefore there is no reason to look for a hidden second constituent word with an additional meaning behind it.

I don't know if you agree with the overall thinking, but I hope you do agree with the last bolded sentence, which I think is what we've both been trying to prove in here :).

Oh, we are in absolute agreement that there isn't some hidden compound behind "clement" which reduces to something like "cle" and "ment" which have independent meanings.

Like we've been saying that would be like taking "walking" and wondering what the root "ing" means on its own.:)

I'm still kind of curious to hear from some Orthodox how they feel the Orthodox tradition looks on the sort of method of reading the Bible that the OP seems to be implicitly advocating.

I was hoping someone would stop by and chime in on the subject.

Upvote 0

Kreikkalainen

You can't spell or pronounce me
May 3, 2008
Here
✟16,001.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well as an Orthodox I am fully covered by your previous statement

Arnaut said:
I don't think the Bible was intended as the word puzzle to end all word puzzles.

I think we should read the Bible in a language that we understand, preferably our native language. Unless one's native language is elvish or klingon, I think it is perfectly possible to do that nowadays.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.