Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I do believe the Bible can imply gaps of time in describing things, but a gap is not found in Genesis 1, but it is found in Psalms 104.

I believe the angels were created on Day 2 according to Psalms 104. Note: The words in blue and red within brackets is my commentary to the text below.

1 "Bless the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty.
2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment [The beginning of verse 2 here is possibly suggestive of "Day #1" within the 6 day Creation week where God brings forth light within our universe]: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:
3 Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters: who maketh the clouds his chariot: who walketh upon the wings of the wind:
4 Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire [The latter half of verse 2, and verses 3-4 are suggestive of "Day #2" when God created the three different Heavens within our universe, i.e. (a) the Sky (including the clouds - see vs. 3), (b) Space, and (c) The dwelling place of God's kingdom His, throne and His angels, etc.; Take note that it says He that God creates his angels here when talking about the creation of the Heavens]:
5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever [This is suggestive of "Day #3" within the creation week where GOD makes the dry land to appear].
["Gap of Time"]
6 Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains. [At this point, the mention of the creation week is no long mentioned anymore; Here in verse 6 it continues with the mention of the "Global Flood" that happens later in Genesis 7 - See: Genesis 7:19-20 in how the flood waters covered the highest mountains.]" (Psalms 104:1-6).​

Note: This is not in conflict of when the angels shouted for joy when the foundations where laid according to Job.

6 "Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?"
(Job 38:6-7).​

For the angels were created on Day #2 along with the Heavens, and the foundations of the Earth (dry land) were laid after on Day #3 of the creation week.

Unbelievable ... and you say we are imagining fantasy?

It clearly states the heavens and the earth were created in the beginning not Day 1, 2 etc. There is no counting of time unless the universe exists for space and time go hand in hand. You can't have one without the other.

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not true. The KJB is a reliable translation.

How can it be reliable if (according to you) nobody knows Hebrew? You're making stuff up as you go along.

You've been shown how the words translated "without form and void" are used in conjunction in two other places in scripture and both times are the result of God's judgement, not His creative process. (Isa.34:11 and Jer.4:23) This is perfect precedent to understand the "without form and void" in Gen.1:2 is also the result of God's judgement.

Indeed, it only makes sense in the Jeremiah verse, if the Earth is in a state of destruction from judgement for Jeremiah is warning the Israelites they are about to be judged severely if they don't smarten up. It wouldn't be a threat if Jeremiah is relating the creation of the Earth.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It does not change anything.
OK. So, why is it so difficult to accept what the key words REALLY mean in Gen 1:2 then?

There are other planets that are void of life.
Irrelevant.

WHEN God formed the Earth, His intention was not to create a world devoid of life. This is what Isaiah was saying.
you know better. I've shown very clearly the conflict and contradiction between Isa 45:18 and your preferred translation of Gen 1:2. You have no authority to make "tohu" mean something different between 1 verse and the other. And that is what you are doing. it is the SAME WORD.

But, if you are comfortable with your biblical contradiction and conflict, go ahead.

The Earth being without form as mentioned in Genesis 1:2 was not formed yet until God put forth the action to form it (of which we see in Genesis 1).
I just pointed out that there is NOTHING in Gen 1 about forming the earth, changing the earth, or anything that would address a "formless" earth.

Maybe you could point out the specific verse where that was described.
Wrong.

So again, there is no contradiction.
You are having to CHANGE the meaning of "tohu" to fit your opinion.

You just are fishing for reasons for a Gap Theory and you are desperate to find anything you can use to defend your theory.
This is just pathetic. "fishing?" Get real. I gave solid evidences that the key words in Gen 1:2 were very poorly translated, as shown by how those SAME WORDS were translated elsewhere in the OT. But go ahead and ignore FACTS.

I know. It is emotional for some. [/QUTOE]
It's emotional for the YEC, not me. It's purely intellectual for me. I have shown the contradiction between a single word in Gen 1:2 and that same word in Isa 45:18. Why are you not able to see that? "tohu" doesn't have multiple meanings.

To take criticism from the Scientific community that Christians believe the Earth is young is not easy for every believer to handle or accept. Who wants to be ridiculed?
Then give up the idea that Gen 1:2 stands as written. Abmit there was a time gap that God didn't explain and agree with the idiot evolutionists that the earth is very old. And explain why that doesn't contradict the Bible.

As it is, it's the YEC that claim that an old earth contradicts the Bible. Which is idiotic.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How can it be reliable if (according to you) nobody knows Hebrew? You're making stuff up as you go along.

Not at all. This is not my first rodeo in having this kind of discussion. The work done on the KJB was unlike any other translation ever done. 47 translators worked on the KJB, and two Christian groups had to put aside their differences to make the translation. The Catholics tried to stop the rule of king James, and the KJB translation with a super bomb. But the plot was amazingly discovered. So the hand of God was upon this translation. In other words, I believe God was able to preserve a perfect Word of God through imperfect men. It was a unique event in time. God was preserving His Word.

“The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.” (Psalms 12:6-7).

The Holy Bible tells us that there are seven purifications of which can refer to the different editions of the King James Bible. There are seven major editions. They are:

● The First 1611,
● The Second 1611,
● The 1613,
● The 1629,
● The 1638,
● The 1769, and
● The Pure Cambridge Edition (circa. 1900).

You said:
You've been shown how the words translated "without form and void" are used in conjunction in two other places in scripture and both times are the result of God's judgement, not His creative process. (Isa.34:11 and Jer.4:23) This is perfect precedent to understand the "without form and void" in Gen.1:2 is also the result of God's judgement.

Indeed, it only makes sense in the Jeremiah verse, if the Earth is in a state of destruction from judgement for Jeremiah is warning the Israelites they are about to be judged severely if they don't smarten up. It wouldn't be a threat if Jeremiah is relating the creation of the Earth.

Just because Jeremiah pulls from the language in Genesis 1:2 that says, “without form and void” in Jeremiah 4:23, does not mean that Genesis 1:2 is referring to a judgment. I believe Jeremiah borrowed from the literal event of nothing in the Earth in Genesis 1:2 and he uses it as a metaphor to describe it as if it was like nothingness. I believe Jeremiah mentions this because he is setting up the stage for the Lord recreating everything for the Millennium (or His 1,000 year reign). The Lord just destroyed all the nations that came up against Him, and so everything is like nothing, and Jeremiah is borrowing words from Genesis to help us to picture that the Earth will be created or renewed for the Millennium. Jeremiah is not concerned about the past and neither is Jeremiah saying that judgment happened in Genesis 1. That's not the point he was making. If it was, then why didn't Jeremiah talk more about this mysterious judgment that happened in the Gap Theory? Again, the Gap Theory simply requires more imagination and it has no real Scriptural support.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK. So, why is it so difficult to accept what the key words REALLY mean in Gen 1:2 then?

Irrelevant.

you know better. I've shown very clearly the conflict and contradiction between Isa 45:18 and your preferred translation of Gen 1:2. You have no authority to make "tohu" mean something different between 1 verse and the other. And that is what you are doing. it is the SAME WORD.

But, if you are comfortable with your biblical contradiction and conflict, go ahead.

I just pointed out that there is NOTHING in Gen 1 about forming the earth, changing the earth, or anything that would address a "formless" earth.

Maybe you could point out the specific verse where that was described.
Wrong.

You are having to CHANGE the meaning of "tohu" to fit your opinion.

This is just pathetic. "fishing?" Get real. I gave solid evidences that the key words in Gen 1:2 were very poorly translated, as shown by how those SAME WORDS were translated elsewhere in the OT. But go ahead and ignore FACTS.

It does not seem like you are getting what I am saying no matter what I say with God's Word.
So I think it is best we agree to disagree.
In other words, I am moving on from talking with you, my friend.

Peace be unto you in the Lord.

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not at all. This is not my first rodeo in having this kind of discussion. The work done on the KJB was unlike any other translation ever done. 47 translators worked on the KJB, and two Christian groups had to put aside their differences to make the translation. The Catholics tried to stop the rule of king James, and the KJB translation with a super bomb. But the plot was amazingly discovered. So the hand of God was upon this translation. In other words, I believe God was able to preserve a perfect Word of God through imperfect men. It was a unique event in time. God was preserving His Word.

“The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.” (Psalms 12:6-7).

The Holy Bible tells us that there are seven purifications of which can refer to the different editions of the King James Bible. There are seven major editions. They are:

● The First 1611,
● The Second 1611,
● The 1613,
● The 1629,
● The 1638,
● The 1769, and
● The Pure Cambridge Edition (circa. 1900).

Just because Jeremiah pulls from the language in Genesis 1:2 that says, “without form and void” in Jeremiah 4:23, does not mean that Genesis 1:2 is referring to a judgment. I believe Jeremiah borrowed from the literal event of nothing in the Earth in Genesis 1:2 and he uses it as a metaphor to describe it as if it was like nothingness. I believe Jeremiah mentions this because he is setting up the stage for the Lord recreating everything for the Millennium (or His 1,000 year reign). The Lord just destroyed all the nations that came up against Him, and so everything is like nothing, and Jeremiah is borrowing words from Genesis to help us to picture that the Earth will be created or renewed for the Millennium. Jeremiah is not concerned about the past and neither is Jeremiah saying that judgment happened in Genesis 1. That's not the point he was making. If it was, then why didn't Jeremiah talk more about this mysterious judgment that happened in the Gap Theory? Again, the Gap Theory simply requires more imagination and it has no real Scriptural support.

And you think we are stretching the imagination. ;) LOL

I'll leave you with your suppositions on what Jeremiah might have meant even though in v.26 it states quite clearly the wasteland he is viewing is the result of the Lord's fierce anger.

You have a great day. :)

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Just because Jeremiah pulls from the language in Genesis 1:2 that says, “without form and void” in Jeremiah 4:23, does not mean that Genesis 1:2 is referring to a judgment.
You miss the whole point. The word "tohu" in Jer 4:23 means the SAME THING in Gen 1:2.

American Standard Version
I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was waste and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
I looked in the earth, and behold, chaos and emptiness, and to the Heavens, and their light is not there

English Revised Version
I beheld the earth, and, lo, it was waste and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.

Good News Translation
I looked at the earth--it was a barren waste; at the sky--there was no light.

JPS Tanakh 1917
I beheld the earth, And, lo, it was waste and void; And the heavens, and they had no light.

NET Bible
"I looked at the land and saw that it was an empty wasteland. I looked up at the sky, and its light had vanished.

New Heart English Bible
I saw the earth, and, look, it was waste and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.

World English Bible
I saw the earth, and, behold, it was waste and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.

Young's Literal Translation
I looked to the land, and lo, waste and void, And unto the heavens, and their light is not.

Again, the Gap Theory simply requires more imagination and it has no real Scriptural support.
Please stop with your "theory" thing. No one is proposing any theory.

What IS being proposed is what key words actually mean in Gen 1:2. And I've given you 14 translations of Isa 45:18 and 9 here of Jer 4:23 that translate "tohu" as a waste or wasteland. That isn't theory but FACT.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You miss the whole point. The word "tohu" in Jer 4:23 means the SAME THING in Gen 1:2.

American Standard Version

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
I looked in the earth, and behold, chaos and emptiness, and to the Heavens, and their light is not there

English Revised Version

Good News Translation
I looked at the earth--it was a barren waste; at the sky--there was no light.

JPS Tanakh 1917
I beheld the earth, And, lo, it was waste and void; And the heavens, and they had no light.

NET Bible
"I looked at the land and saw that it was an empty wasteland. I looked up at the sky, and its light had vanished.

New Heart English Bible
I saw the earth, and, look, it was waste and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.

World English Bible
I saw the earth, and, behold, it was waste and void; and the heavens, and they had no light.

Young's Literal Translation
I looked to the land, and lo, waste and void, And unto the heavens, and their light is not.

Please stop with your "theory" thing. No one is proposing any theory.

What IS being proposed is what key words actually mean in Gen 1:2. And I've given you 14 translations of Isa 45:18 and 9 here of Jer 4:23 that translate "tohu" as a waste or wasteland. That isn't theory but FACT.

Moving on in discussing this with you.

full

May...

full

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FreeGrace2 said:
It does not seem like you are getting what I am saying no matter what I say with God's Word.
No, if FACT, it is YOU who aren't getting what God's Word actually says. What you are hung up on are key words very poorly (inaccurately) translated in Gen 1:2 and I've proven from many other verses that the same word "tohu" in Isa 45:18 and Jer 4:23 means a "wasteland", and God did NOT create the earth a wasteland.

But you would rather live and comfortably with the blatant CONTRADICTION and CONFLICT between Men 1:2 and Isa 45:18. I won't.

btw, I've already shared what Heb 11:3 really says. The word 'katartizo' doesn't mean "frame" at all. It means "restored". And Gal 6:1 actually translates 'katartizo' that way. Brothers and sisters, if someone is caught in a sin, you who live by the Spirit should restore that person gently. But watch yourselves, or you also may be tempted.

So again, there is NO THEORY about Gen 1 being a restoration of earth. God's Word actually makes that point.

One more thing: if God had created the earth "formless", please explain 2 things:

1. explain how a solid object can be "formless". EVERY object has a form. It is the gases that don't take on a form. But ALL objects have a form. It is IMPOSSIBLE for any object to be literally formless.

2. Show me anywhere in Genesis 1 where God took a formless earth and began to "form" it or "shape" it. I can't seem to find any reference to such action.

I do find all the places where God PUT different things ON the earth, but nothing about "forming" it.

Can you help me out here?

So I think it is best we agree to disagree.
In other words, I am moving on from talking with you, my friend.

Peace be unto you in the Lord.
Bow out if you must. But know that you didn't provide any evidence for your own theory, other than a very poor translation of Gen 1:2 which creates a huge contradiction with isa 45:18, which you seem uninterested about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I'll leave you with your suppositions on what Jeremiah might have meant even though in v.26 it states quite clearly the wasteland he is viewing is the result of the Lord's fierce anger.

While I could be wrong with what Jeremiah is saying, I don't see any evidence for him referring to a world that is described by Gap Theorists. Jeremiah does not say, “Before the six day creation, a world was destroyed prior,...” and neither does Jeremiah say, “And God created a world before Adam and Eve existed...”, etc.; This is what we would need to see in order for the Gap Theory to be true. Just because a set phrase of words is pulled from Genesis and is used to refer to a judgment in Jeremiah does not mean that formless and void means judgment in Genesis. If that was the case with words in the Bible, then the Bible would be very confusing. The beginning phrase usually determines the meaning of how it will appear later.

Now, I do see Jeremiah talking about a time after the Lord's Second Coming in that the Earth is a wasteland it was judged. This will give way to the 1,000 year reign of Christ mentioned in Revelation.
Anyways, I think it is best we agree to disagree in love and respect and move on.

May you have a great day, too.
Blessings be unto you in the Lord.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No problem. Just ignore the truth of Scripture.

Well, I obviously don't agree with that statement.
But again, I am moving on (from talking with you).

full

Good day to you in the Lord.

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My question was asking what is the big deal about a gap. What doctrines are affected, or how is theology affected? Anything?

Here is one theological problem I thought of.

Mark 10:6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.

Mark 13:19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.

2 Peter 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

None of these verses make any sense if there is a gap between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2, where some speculate that gap consists of millions of years, maybe even billions. Which then brings up another problem. Until God made solar time beginning with creation day 1 and onward, Genesis 1:2 is obviously meaning prior to creation day 1. How can anyone then claim that the earth already existed for millions or billions of solar years prior to creation day 1 when there would not even be solar time yet? And how did the planet get lit up all of these millions and billions of years if there is not even a sun until God creates one during the 6 days of creation?

Getting back to these 3 verses I brought up, where does Genesis have the beginning of creation starting at?

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

How does 2 Peter 3:4 make sense if there is a gap of millions or billions of years since the beginning of the creation, and that in the gap there used to be life on this planet until God wiped them out, so He then started over after this gap? How does that add up to---all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation?

How can it still be the beginning of creation millions or even billions of years later, assuming that is when creation day 1 is meaning? But that would be called recreation not creation, assuming a gap first. None of those verses I submitted call it recreation.

If anyone is closed-minded here, it's you not me. You are closed-minded to the fact that the Bible is correct and that science isn't, in regards to how long the earth has been hanging out in the sky.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I believe the greatest case against the Gap Theory is the repeat detailed account of Adam and Eve's formation described in Genesis 2 (Which is given as a summary on Day 6 in Genesis chapter 1). For if we are to read Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 with extreme wooden literalism (Instead of reading Genesis 1:1 as a header or title sentence for what is about to happen), then we must also read Day 6 in Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 (the details of the formation of Adam and Eve) also in an extreme wooden literalistic way. We must then believe there was a male and female (Genesis 1) who existed prior to Adam and Eve mentioned in Genesis 2. But if we understand the unique sentence structure of Genesis 1 and 2, we see that is sentence structure is merely repeating itself. In other words, there is...

#1. The unique sentence structure of Genesis 1:1 gives us a brief summary about what is about to happen with the rest of the chapter (Genesis 1) giving us the details.

#2. The unique sentence structure of Genesis 1:26-27 (The creation of male and femaile on Day 6) is a brief summary of the details described in Genesis chapter 2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Mark 13:19 For in those days shall be affliction, such as was not from the beginning of the creation which God created unto this time, neither shall be.

2 Peter 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

None of these verses make any sense if there is a gap between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2, where some speculate that gap consists of million of years, maybe even billions. Which then brings up another problem. Until God made solar time beginning with creation day 1 and onward, Genesis 1:2 is obviously meaning prior to creation day 1. How can anyone then claim that the earth already existed for millions or billions of solar years prior to creation day 1 when there would not even be solar time yet? And how did the planet get lit up all of these millions and billions of years if there is not even a sun until God creates one during the 6 days of creation?

Getting back to these 3 verses I brought up, where does Genesis have the beginning of creation starting at?

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

How does 2 Peter 3:4 make sense if there is a gap of millions or billions of years since the beginning of the creation, and that in the gap there used to be life on this planet until God wiped them out, so He then started over after this gap? How does that add up to---all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

If anyone is closed-minded here, it's you not me. You are closed-minded to the fact that the Bible is correct and that science isn't, in regards to how long the earth has been hanging out in the sky.

I agree, David.
Well said.

4 “And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?” (Matthew 19:4-5).​

This phrase in Matthew 19:5 is taken from Genesis 2.

“Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.” (Genesis 2:24).

So Genesis 2 is the beginning. For Jesus calls it the beginning in Matthew 19:4.
Jesus even says, have you not read and then he talks about how he made them male and female in the beginning. THESE THINGS are the beginning.
The beginning did not start with the Gap Theory World.
For there is no such thing.
For it is not written.

• Agree
Reactions: DavidPT
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
While I could be wrong with what Jeremiah is saying, I don't see any evidence for him referring to a world that is described by Gap Theorists. Jeremiah does not say, “Before the six day creation, a world was destroyed prior,...” and neither does Jeremiah say, “And God created a world before Adam and Eve existed...”, etc.;
This poster just won't face the reality of the issue. Jeremiah's word "tohu" is the SAME WORD as in Gen 1:2, but correctly translated as "waste". It's a word that describes waste as a destruction, not necessarily about judgment.

This is what we would need to see in order for the Gap Theory to be true.
Absolutely not true. But YOU make up a theory about God making the earth a waste place. No one is saying that God did that to the earth. The earth BECAME that way, as Gen 1:2 says.

Just because a set phrase of words is pulled from Genesis and is used to refer to a judgment in Jeremiah does not mean that formless and void means judgment in Genesis.
See above.

Now, I do see Jeremiah talking about a time after the Lord's Second Coming in that the Earth is a wasteland it was judged. This will give way to the 1,000 year reign of Christ mentioned in Revelation.
Anyways, I think it is best we agree to disagree in love and respect and move on.

May you have a great day, too.
Blessings be unto you in the Lord.
This poster has no interest in the meaning of words, esp when the real meaning contradicts his meaning. Sad.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When you have nothing in rebuttal.

I have been making rebuttals.
I am just not having them with you, dear sir (Because you are not open to hearing them).

May God bless you.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
FreeGrace2 said:
My question was asking what is the big deal about a gap. What doctrines are affected, or how is theology affected? Anything?

This verse really doesn't support the YEC, as they do use this verse to link Adam's creation with Gen 1:1.

However, this is what I found from visiting the reference section of Cedarville University's library regarding the word "create".

Jesus and Peter said this:

Mark 10:6 - “But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female.’

Obviously, the reference to Adam and the woman takes us to Genesis 1 and 2.

2 Pet 3:4 - They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.”

Again, the reference to “our ancestors” would take us back to the original parents, Adam and Eve, and Genesis 1 and 2.

So, how do these verses relate to the age of the earth? The Greek word for “creation” in both verses is κτίσεως. My lexicon refers this word to ‘ktisis’. This Greek word is found under ‘κτίζω’. Under this word we read: “to reduce from a state of wildness and disorder”, from Bagster & Sons lexicon.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 2936: κτίζω

κτίζω: 1 aorist ἔκτισα; perfect passive ἐκτισμαι; 1 aorist passive ἐκτίσθην; the Sept. chiefly for בָּרָא; properly, to make habitable, to people, a place, region, island (Homer, Herodotus, Thucydides, Diodorus, others); hence to found, a city, colony, state, etc.

So from 2 independent Greek lexicon sources, this Greek word for ‘creation’ refers to a creation from a state of disorder and wildness. Or, to make something habitable that wasn’t habitable before.

Kittel’s Theological Dictionary of the New Testament notes that in a long dissertation of κτίζω, that “in the religion of many peoples chaos stands at the beginning of being and becoming”.

The major mythologies (Greek, Roman and Norse) are all parallel accounts, with the names changed among the 3, which is best explained by understanding that Genesis 6 involved fallen angels contaminating the human race, which led God to destroy it, save 8 people; Noah and his family.

In a similar way, the account of creation from Adam and Eve was passed down among the generations. So the common thread of “chaos” in so many different religions would have come from what Genesis 1:2 actually says in the original, not in how every English translation renders it.

The Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament, by Balz and Schneider Eds. makes notes that “the OT creation narratives are most intelligible within the framework of ancient Near Eastern views, each motif has parallels.

The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology & Exegesis, by Sylva, notes that κτίζω is used in the the Septuagint for the rebuilding of Jerusalem in Ezra 5:17. It further notes that the word group for κτίζω is used always of divine creation, with 1 exception, in 1 Pet 2:13.

Silva also connects κτίζω with the believer being a new creation. This point is also noted in Kittel’s text. This parallels the restoration of the earth in Gen 1 with regeneration of the believer.

None of these verses make any sense if there is a gap between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2, where some speculate that gap consists of millions of years, maybe even billions.
Given my research above, and citing my scholarly sources that can be looked up by anyone who has access to such a library, proves that the underlining meaning of "create" suggests that the verb "create" has the meaning of a reduction from a state of wildness and disorder. My lexicon by Bagster and Sons.

Which then brings up another problem. Until God made solar time beginning with creation day 1 and onward, Genesis 1:2 is obviously meaning prior to creation day 1. How can anyone then claim that the earth already existed for millions or billions of solar years prior to creation day 1 when there would not even be solar time yet? And how did the planet get lit up all of these millions and billions of years if there is not even a sun until God creates one during the 6 days of creation?
The sun and moon are noted on day 4:

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times, and days and years,
15and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so.
16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.
17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth,
18to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good.
19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

Gen 1:1. In fact, other verses in the Bible say that God SPOKE the universe into existence. That didn't take days. It was immediate.

Psa 33-
8 Let all the earth fear the LORD; let all the people of the world revere him. For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm.

The "it" in v.9 refers to the world coming to be. That's Gen 1:1.

How does Gen 1:1 make sense if there is a gap of millions or billions of years since the beginning of the creation, and that in the gap there used to be life on this planet until God wiped them out, so He then started over after this gap? How does that add up to---all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation?
See my research above.

How can it still be the beginning of creation millions or even billions of years later, assuming that is when creation day 1 is meaning? But that would be called recreation not creation, assuming a gap first. None of those verses I submitted call it recreation.
The mistake is thinking that God took days or a length of time to create the universe. He didn't. As Isa 33:8,9 says, He spoke and "it (the earth) came to be."

Where have I quoted ANY science? I have quoted scholarly Christian reference books that deal with the original languages. I don't care what science says. That's not what drives me. What drives me is the original languages and what they mean.

And I've already shown repeatedly, the key words in v.2 are translated far differently in the other places where they occur.

But, please explain something, if you will.

If God did create the earth "formless", how can any object have no form? That's impossible on its face. Gases take on the form of what contains it.

But the earth is a solid object. So how can it have no form?

Second, can you show me where God did ANY shaping/forming/etc of earth in Genesis 1?

What we do find in Genesis 1 is what God placed ON the earth.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
#1. The unique sentence structure of Genesis 1:1 gives us a brief summary about what is about to happen with the rest of the chapter (Genesis 1) giving us the details.

#2. The unique sentence structure of Genesis 1:26-27 (The creation of male and femaile on Day 6) is a brief summary of the details described in Genesis chapter 2.
It is interesting that this poster would/could not explain how a solid object (earth) can be "formless". Every solid object has a form. Even a blob is a form.

And, where in Genesis did God "shape/form" this formless earth? Nowhere.

So, He didn't create the earth formless. That's impossible. He created the earth in v.1 BUT the earth BECAME a DESOLATE WASTELAND in v.2.

This is supported by the way these key words were translated elsewhere in the OT.

But this poster can't or won't deal with these legitimate challenges.

Upvote 0