Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What "random notions picked out of a hat"? You're bearing false witness now, because there's been plenty of Scripture witness on the matter given already, and by just throwing it into your 'own little personal category' and trying to push that baloney as truth only shows your inability towards study of The Bible. It just reveals your willing Biblical ignorance.

My pastor once stopped during his message... paused silence.

Then said.

"Dumb can not get it..

Stupid will not get it."

It is Biblical.

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
but whoever hates correction is stupid."
Ps 12:1

Stupid can be cured.... A person with a genius IQ can be stupid.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, most translations point to 'like a cedar' tree. I don't think the idea is that difficult that's it's about a dinosaur, not a hippo which has a small tail that can't be compared to a cedar tree.
There were no dinosaurs in Job's day.

Upvote 0

sawdust

Jan 8, 2004
Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's funny. Just mention of a large tree like a cedar, which is the idea the Scripture is pointing to, destroys the hippo speculation.

Well I guess if you say so it must be so but as the scripture points to movement and not shape or form, I'm not willing to assume God asked Job to make the comparison based on size. :)

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You said this:
I think we might have a different understanding of what constitutes "insight".

So I agreed.
Then there is nothing more to discuss. :)

Have a nice day.
Regarding the word "insight", consider Eph 3:4 - In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ,

Strong's Concordance
sunesis: a running together, specially understanding
Original Word: σύνεσις, εως, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: sunesis
Phonetic Spelling: (soon'-es-is)
Definition: a running together, understanding
Usage: a putting together in the mind, hence: understanding, practical discernment, intellect.

Nothing about speculation.

:wave:

Upvote 0

DavidPT

Sep 26, 2016
Texas
✟196,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My pastor once stopped during his message... paused silence.

Then said.

"Dumb can not get it..

Stupid will not get it."

And that is all this world needs is more pastors like that....not. Usually when someone resorts to something like this it indicates that what they are trying to sell someone as truth, and that some are simply not buying it, so make them look they are just too dumb, too stupid to get it, that will teach them to disagree with what I'm trying to sell them as truth that they are not buying.

What your pastor said there is not something to be proud about, it should be something to be ashamed about instead.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And that is all this world needs is more pastors like that....not. Usually when someone resorts to something like this it indicates that what they are trying to sell someone as truth, and that some are simply not buying it, so make them look they are just too dumb, too stupid to get it, that will teach them to disagree with what I'm trying to sell them as truth that they are not buying.

What your pastor said there is not something to be proud about, it should be something to be ashamed about instead.

No... read Proverbs 12:1. In Christianity, a human genius can be stupid.

Arrogance cuts off off the believer from the source of wisdom. The filling of the Holy Spirit is lost. They fall from grace enabling to grow. Religious people are grieving the Spirit all the time. They obstruct progress in understanding whenever they can get their feet in the water.

But He gives more grace. Therefore He says:

“God resists (makes war against) the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”

Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."
Jms 4:6-7​

Not going to defend my pastor too much for you. But, this much I will say. Billy Graham wanted this pastor to private mentor him, but he refused because he was too busy with his church. The pastor was teaching six days a week from the Hebrew and Greek of the Bible. And, many pastors were ordering his messages to study from. Chuck Swindoll and Hal Lindsay were just some of his congregational students... to mention a few.

You do not know what you are missing. Baby Christians are in a phase designed by God for kindness.

God does not pamper those becoming adults. Just like little children are treated kindly. But when one gets into the adult world... especially the army of God... it takes DISCIPLINE and TRAINING.

That is why my pastor said what he did....

"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
Prov 12:1.​

Read it again, please.

"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
Prov 12:1.​

When you have the Holy Spirit there is nothing God's Word teaches that any believer can not understand if he persists and not runs away with excuses. If someone is dumb (unregenerate) he can not get it. Yet, there are the believers that demand their own comfort zone that God refuses to provide, because to have real stability and inner peace requires KNOWLEDGE. The stupid are not dumb. They simply refuse to get it. Like a child having a tantrum when told to do something they do not want to do.

And have you completely forgotten this word of encouragement that addresses you as a father addresses his son? It says,

“My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
because the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.” Heb 12:5-6

God says? Take it like a man. To become a man.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, most translations point to 'like a cedar' tree. I don't think the idea is that difficult that's it's about a dinosaur, not a hippo which has a small tail that can't be compared to a cedar tree.
And, Herod was not the size of a fox. But, he was like one.

And, the king of Tyre was not a morning star that used to bring in the morning light for the day!

Cedar trees do not only wave in the wind. They give off debris when they do! Its pollen is a great source of misery for sensitive people.

Like the hippo gives off his too. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The more I learn about the hippo, the more I see what is stated in Job.

Never knew some of these facts before.

Under the lotus plants it lies,
hidden among the reeds in the marsh.
The lotuses conceal it in their shadow;
the poplars by the stream surround it.
A raging river does not alarm it.

And, that is exactly where a hippo will live.

And. some very interesting facts found here about how powerful they are.
They are practically bullet proof! Skin is about 2 inches thick! (50.8 mm)

Poachers Have to Hunt Hippos With Rocket Launchers - Fact Fiend

Upvote 0