• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

The Flat Earth Bible

Discussion in 'Non-Mainstream and Controversial Science' started by AV1611VET, Apr 9, 2021.

1. AV1611VET

AV1611VET BELIEVE IN MIRACLES Supporter

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    My buddy, Captain Dan, posted this link in a thread:

What Does the Bible Say About Flat Earth?

So I thought I would pick it apart by posting some of the verses (King James, of course) from time to time and commenting on them.

For the record, I think the only time the Bible mentions the physical shape of the earth is when It mentions the earth being "without form and void."

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Gregorikos

Gregorikos Ordinary Mystic

+686
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    It is He who sits above the  circle of the earth,
    And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers,
    Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain
    And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. Isaiah 40:22 (NASB)

3. myst33

myst33 Well-Known Member

+1,278
    Czech Republic
    Christian
    Single
    Bible is not a scientific book.

The scientific view of the world (based on objective things) was developed much later.
    Bible uses relational view of the world (based on relationships).

So it scientifically does not matter what the Bible says about the physical universe. What matters is the meaning the Bible gives to the physical universe.

For example - the saying "God examines our heart" has no technical, scientific value. It bears a different message.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  4. Paul4JC

Paul4JC It is for freedom that Christ has set us free

+1,138
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
  5. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Okay ... let's look at the first one.

Isaiah 40:22a It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth,

If this is speaking of a flat earth, is drawing a circle on a globe, then standing over that circle and looking down, the same thing as saying that globe is flat? of course not.

And as far as what is specifically meant by "the circle of the earth" isn't clear.

Was it the Article circle, before the Arctic circle was drawn (i.e., an anachronism)?

Was it a line of latitude before latitudes were lined (i.e., an anachronism)?

Was it some circle on a map known to Isaiah and his generation?

To say it is referencing a flat earth is overlooking too many other explanations.

6. Speedwell

Speedwell Well-Known Member

+17,450
    United States
    Other Religion
    Married
    But some people go ahead and believe it anyway.

7. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Believe what? that it speaks of a flat earth?

If so, yes, some people go ahead and believe it, despite not taking into account other explanations.

I call those people: "educated."

8. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Let's look at another.

Revelation 7:1a And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth,

Take an orange and cut it into four equal wedges.

Find the center of mass for each wedge.

Put the wedges back together.

Stick a toothpick in each center, from the peel, through to the center of mass.

What do you have?

You have four toothpicks standing on the four corners of an orange.

What you don't have is a flat orange.

9. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Glossing over the next two because they are from books of poetry, we come to this one.

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

And of course, the idea is that the Devil could not have shown Jesus all the kingdoms of the world, unless the world was flat.

But even if the world was flat, you can't see all the kingdoms of the world anyway because the proportion of your field of view diminishes with distance.

That's why railroad tracks seem to converge down the line.

So what exactly went on here?

Well ... we don't know, since we weren't there.

BUT, on the speculative side, let me propose this:

The Devil showed Jesus some kind of PowerPoint presentation of all the kingdoms of the world.

A vision, or maybe an fps book of drawings, or whatever.

Moving Him to a high mountain was a master stroke of genius, as it would have given Him a deeper longing for the wonders of the world, as He looked down on the towns and cities around that mountain.

Moses, if you recall, was summoned up a mountain and given the Ten Commandments.

And, as I pointed out earlier, God sat on the circle of the earth and saw everyone as grasshoppers.

In the end, it backfired on the Devil, as Jesus, assuming He emptied Himself of most of His omniscience, was given a deeper appreciation for the nations of the world.

He may even had that presentation in mind, while He was giving us the Great Commission.

10. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+21,889
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    The text does not describe any drawing of circles, but merely 'the circle of the earth'.

It's clearly consistent with what we know of ancient near eastern cosmology.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking of sitting on something, where would the sapphire throne that Ezekiel describes be? I see a lot of connection between that verse and this.

Note that those lines are imaginary human conventions and indeed the very concept of such a line would be unknown to Isaiah. Your interpretation violates your other statement that God is using terms Isaiah would understand.

@Speedwell : "Isaiah 40:22 does not imply, much less teach, anything definite about the shape of the Earth."

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  11. essentialsaltes

+21,889
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    Beats me, but I rather doubt it's a correct explanation of what the author of this verse was thinking, or thought his audience would think.

12. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+5,915
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The Bible never says the earth is flat.

It never says it's round either.

God probably figured that we were smart enough to figure it out on our own.

Well, at least most of us...

13. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Did Isaiah subscribe to the same cosmology?

14. essentialsaltes

+21,889
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
  15. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    John was probably thinking of an apple.

16. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Correct.

Usually, when you hear that the Bible says the earth is flat, it's when it's coming from academia.

QV this article from Lock Haven University: The Flat-Earth Bible.

Note also:
    SOURCE

That's where our tax dollars go. :doh:

17. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    You mean, before they went into captivity?

And for the record, some Jewish authorities say Isaiah was martyred under the direction of King Manasseh.

18. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Okay, moving along.

Since the next two entries are again taken from books of poetry, I'll skip to this one:

1 Chronicles 16:30 Fear before him, all the earth: the world also shall be stable, that it be not moved.

This has zero to do with the earth being flat.

19. topher694

topher694 Go Turtle!

+2,349
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Look at the context of the entire chapter.

What is the writing style(s)?
    Who is the audience?
    What is the theme?

Those answers make it very clear this scripture is not about the shape of the Earth.

20. AV1611VET

+41,599
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    I totally agree.