Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Whilst I can see what might be attractive about you stance, I find myself unable to walk that way. I believe that God is a creator, not a retired creator, that he reveals himself, not simply that he revealed himself in time past. I don not believe that God has given us intellect so we can keep it wrapped up in the cupboard as a faithful memento, but rather that we might use it to explore and discover more of all that he has given us, including the wonder of the world around us. I mean no disrespect, I just cannot walk the way you ask of me.
I respect your choice to walk whatever way you want to regarding this topic - I'm just sharing my view. nobody is gonna change anybody's mind in this thread.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
We don't live on a planet or the sun/moon. They are different from the earth. We live on land. The sun, moon & "planets" are lights. We don't live on a light.

No reason for them to be differently shaped than our world. This is a planet. Just one that God put life on.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
With your eyeballs does the moon/sun look 3-dimensional to you? They look like a flat disc to me. Don't confuse the "facts" with observation.

It may look like a flat disc to you---it does not to me. And telescopes prove it. The shadow of the earth on the moon is round---so now you're saying that the earth is a flat disc that is standing on it side in order to create this shadow?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Sure it's a valid question. The Scriptures and "science" contradict each other. In my opinion, it's either or.

If scripture indicates the universe is geocentric and flat, but "science" says we live on a globe circling around the sun, rhen we should go with what the scriptures say. IMO, to reject what the Scriptures say is not trusting them.

I view everything through the lens of scripture. If what "scientists" say do not line up with scripture, then I throw it out.

The bible does not say that the earth is flat and that it is stationary. It says the earth can not be moved. You can't go out and push it aside--not that it doesn't move. If you're basing you view of the earth by exactly as worded in the bible--it can not be the circle it says it is---it says the 4 corners of the earth, that would make it either a square or rectangle---not a circle, circles do not have corners.
This is merely a way of stating the 4 directions--East, West, North and South. The bible is full of descriptive language.

• Agree
Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The firmament of Genesis 1 describes a flat earth having a bowl shaped firmament resting on it, and holding up water above. The firmament creates a safe livable zone of air for us to live in. The sun, moon, and stars are inside.

Why do I never hear people mention the flat earth assumption of Genesis 1?
I believe the earth is flat. People probably don't often reference that for flat earth because most people believe it's a ball, hurdling through space at a kajillion miles per hour, despite us having the same star constellations, the north star never moving, and despite their findings and missions and experiments back in the early to mid 1900's.

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The earth is not flat....I've seen pictures.

View attachment 211850

Therefore, Genesis is obviously speaking of atmosphere using a very ancient paleo Hebrew alphabet.
I'm not sure if you're being serious, but that's a cgi image. Computer generated.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The bible does not say that the earth is flat and that it is stationary. It says the earth can not be moved. You can't go out and push it aside--not that it doesn't move. If you're basing you view of the earth by exactly as worded in the bible--it can not be the circle it says it is---it says the 4 corners of the earth, that would make it either a square or rectangle---not a circle, circles do not have corners.
This is merely a way of stating the 4 directions--East, West, North and South. The bible is full of descriptive language.

Which stopped, the earth or the sun and the moon?

Joshua 10:12-15

12 Then Joshua spoke to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel:

“Sun, stand still over Gibeon;
And Moon, in the Valley of Aijalon.”
13 So the sun stood still,
And the moon stopped,
Till the people had revenge
Upon their enemies.

Is this not written in the Book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day. 14 And there has been no day like that, before it or after it, that the Lord heeded the voice of a man; for the Lord fought for Israel.

15 Then Joshua returned, and all Israel with him, to the camp at Gilgal.

This topic appears to be another area where division is caused between brethren and faith is challenged.

For this reason, I'll stop here.

May we be one in our Holy Father in Lord Christ Jesus.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,490.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
despite us having the same star constellations, the north star never moving,
What's the "North star"? It isn't something I'm familiar with as it isn't visible from Australia. I presume you are familiar with the constellation known as the "Southern Cross" that we can see from Australia.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Which stopped, the earth or the sun and the moon?

Joshua 10:12-15

12 Then Joshua spoke to the Lord in the day when the Lord delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel:

“Sun, stand still over Gibeon;
And Moon, in the Valley of Aijalon.”
13 So the sun stood still,
And the moon stopped,
Till the people had revenge
Upon their enemies.

Is this not written in the Book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and did not hasten to go down for about a whole day. 14 And there has been no day like that, before it or after it, that the Lord heeded the voice of a man; for the Lord fought for Israel.

15 Then Joshua returned, and all Israel with him, to the camp at Gilgal.

This topic appears to be another area where division is caused between brethren and faith is challenged.

For this reason, I'll stop here.

May we be one in our Holy Father in Lord Christ Jesus.

So--to them it looked like the sun and moon had stopped, they thought they moved around the earth--and? We still say the sun has set--did it? What did it do, hide under the blankets? A 24 hour day is based on the rotation of the earth. Not by the clock, midnight to midnight. Joshua asked for time to stand still, basically. How God did it is His problem, not mine.

Upvote 0

elliott95

JESUS PRAISER
Nov 9, 2003
Seattle
✟22,320.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What's the "North star"? It isn't something I'm familiar with as it isn't visible from Australia. I presume you are familiar with the constellation known as the "Southern Cross" that we can see from Australia.
The North Star for all practical purposes is directly above the North Pole. It was a valuable aid for navigation for it gave the early sailors in the North( aka European Age of Discovery) a stable reference point with which to guide themselves.
That no stable reference point exists in the South makes the habitation of all the islands of the South Pacific a very remarkable feat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Waggles

Acts 2:38
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Why do I never hear people mention the flat earth assumption of Genesis 1?
Because the Bible never ever preaches a flat earth.
the Earth is always described as an orb - circle.

Unless you live in La-La land where everything is flat.

• Haha
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Waggles

Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Also, science has proven that we are not "evolving" but 'devolving'... things deteriorate, even in our short lifetime--not even in millions of years--but short time...
Thankyou thankyou
Entropy shoots evolution down big time; but this is conveniently overlooked by the
aficionados of Darwinism in their zeal for life without God.

Devolution is the observable pattern of things.
It is clear that the initial purity and magnitude of a tropical Earth that supported
vast numbers of gigantic beasts in the oceans, in the air and on land has over the eons
greatly diminished producing fewer and smaller types of creatures after the flood.

Apart from enormous dinosaurs, there were also enormous mammals and birds of
colossal size - the Moa and the Dodo for example. Dragon flies with a wing span of
3 feet. 12 foot kangaroos and wombats the size of a small car.
And there were giant human beings as well.
The lushness and supply of the vegetation to sustain all these gigantic herbivores
must have meant that the entire planet's land surface was forested with plentiful
water supply - perhaps entirely tropical and sub-tropical.

The power and the integrity of the creation is winding down and more and more
imperfections, faults, DNA degradation, aridity, loss of habitats, extinctions have
marred what was originally good - perfect in function and purpose.

Hence the promise of -
Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth
had passed away. Also there was no more sea. Rev 21:1

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Waggles

Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2017
South Oz
Visit site
✟112,244.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
You are all wrong - God revealed to me the truth

Earth cube.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As the bible describes the earth, it's not "flat" flat, there's a curve to it, but it's definitely not a ball hurdling through space. It's more like a horizontal version of a quotation mark "(". I've heard of the southern cross yeah, I've never seen it however, because I'm not close enough to the curve in the middle. But, you can see it from the northern "hemisphere" though. Northern Africa and Hawaii can see it, among other places, but regardless. From where it is, it should be impossible to see it from that angle, especially in Northern Africa considering the way the crux moves in the sky.

Upvote 0