The evolutionist mindset

Originally posted by humblejoe
Alright, show us a respectable university that conducts a graduate degree in "creation science".

Can't argue with that, now, can we?

Sorry, Mozart, we aren't interested in hiring you as a high-school music teacher. You don't have a university degree in music theory.

Upvote 0

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Who cares? You don't understand genetics enough to know the significance regardless of the similarities.

Won't answer it, will you? I don't blame you. It's sort of a hard one to fit into that "common design" without an obvious (and blatant) appeal of "God wanted it that way". As for our understanding of genetics, it's pretty simple. "Which is more like the other". Geneticists have been able to do that for a long time. We don't need to know the exact differences, Nick. We just need to know how close they are...

Poor Nick. It's a simple question, a very simple one that evolution predicts (and genetics confirms) quite nicely. But how will Nick get God to do the same? Hmm...

Answer: He won't! He'll be insulting and try to change the subject. Not going to happen. Here it is again:

A shark, a whale, and a dog. Which two will be the closest genetically, and why?

How about a turtle, an alligator, and a bird? Which two will be the closest genetically and why?

Answer, answer! Come on, Nick. But your money where your mouth is!

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by npetreley

Can't argue with that, now, can we?

Sorry, Mozart, we aren't interested in hiring you as a high-school music teacher. You don't have a university degree in music theory.

Gee, ya know, you're right...

The general public has complete access to all fossils and scientific data, and a layman in no way needs to take any of the appropriate graduate level university math and science courses required to properly interpret data.

As everyone knows, evolution science requires the same level of math and science as does music theory: college algebra and physical science survey.

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Now here's a question for you. How do you explain it when your geologic column has older strata above younger strata? You call it overthrust, even when a whole mountain has to have moved over fragile shale without damaging it in any way. I call it reading what you want to see in the evidence that might support your theory, and coming up with absurd explanations for any of the evidence that contradicts your theory.

I assume you are referring to the Lewis Thrust in western Montana. If so, you are again guilty of propagating more creationist nonsense.

See http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/lewis/

Numbers (1993) reports that the outcrop that Lammerts describes is not the Lewis thrust, but is in reality an area located 200 ft above that fault. This invalidates Lammerts' claims since his descriptions of "thin layers of shale" were not made while he was examining the Lewis thrust.

Same goes for your genetic arguments.

Please give us an equally plausible explanation, then, to show that Morat is just reading what he wants to see.

Upvote 0

alexgb00

Jun 24, 2002
Klamath Falls, OR United States
✟1,218.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by LiveFreeOrDie
Yes, the "all scientists are liars" story. We've heard it before.

You are mixing "scientists" with "darwinists." In some cases a person decides between his job and his honesty.

Strange, I've never heard this "fact" until now. Which creationist web site did you get it from?

I cited five for you, but i found at least 200 professional (not geocities.com) sites that state this fact.

Except there's no evidence that that is really what happened. Why aren't there any primate fossils in the same strata as dinosaurs?

That's the most anti-intellectual statement I've heard all year. Why don't primates appear with dinosaurs? I can't say that's really true, but if it is, it could be the same reason you'll never find a rabbit fossil alongside a dolphin. They simply don't live around each other.

Upvote 0

WinAce

Just an old legend...
Jun 23, 2002
In perpetual bliss, so long as I'm with Jess.
Visit site
✟16,806.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reading creationists change the subject when they completely and laughably fail to explain the evidence, then invoking a well-known YEC canard about neanderthal fossils being sick humans that's been debunked for around 5 million years, then ludicrously attempting to explain why the fossil record is arranged as it is, and then implying scientists aren't scientists is much more hilarious than anything we'll ever post, Alex.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by alexgb00
You are mixing "scientists" with "darwinists."

How do we tell which is which?

In some cases a person decides between his job and his honesty.

What about the other cases?

I cited five for you, but i found at least 200 professional (not geocities.com) sites that state this fact.

The "fact" is that this has been acknowledged long ago.

Immediately, they were portrayed as slouched over, violent, brute/ape-like cavemen. And this image was carried on until almost 1960. At this time, scientists realized that the first found Neanderthal had arthritis, and they did in fact walk upright.

From: http://emuseum.mnsu.edu/archaeology/sites/europe/neanderthal.html

That's the most anti-intellectual statement I've heard all year.

Tip to alex: that retort only works if it has some grain of truth to it.

Why don't primates appear with dinosaurs? I can't say that's really true, but if it is, it could be the same reason you'll never find a rabbit fossil alongside a dolphin. They simply don't live around each other.

Hmm. Doplhins live in the ocean. Rabbits live on land. I know primates live on land. Are you saying all dinosaurs lived in the ocean?

The problem is bigger than simple colocation anyway. Primates don't even appear in the same rock strata as dinosaurs. That means if you took all the rocks dating from the time of the dinosaurs, you wouldn't find one single primate fossil. Why is that?

Upvote 0
Originally posted by LiveFreeOrDie
[re: mixing scientists with darwinists]
How do we tell which is which?

It should be extremely easy to tell them apart. Scientists engage in scientific studies and experiments. Darwinists dream up fairy tales to explain why data supports their theory and even more imaginative fairy tales to explain away data that contradicts their theory, and then they call that process "science."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

It should be extremely easy to tell them apart. Scientists engage in scientific studies and experiments. Darwinists dream up fairy tales to explain why data supports their theory and even more imaginative fairy tales to explain away data that contradicts their theory, and then they call that process "science."

Interesting description of Darwinist.. Can you now locate a person who fits that description, and some documented examples of this behaviour from them? 

I'm guessing Duane Gish and John Safarti will be near the top of your list of "Darwinists" when you start putting it together based your definition and based on documented examples of this behaviour.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by alexgb00

I see that you've never been in a situation where your life was on the line. You'd have a different reply otherwise.

God bless you!

The "Atheists-in-Foxholes" monument is adjacent to the Willa Mae Whatley Auditorium in Fearn Park, overlooking Lake Hypatia. After all the decisions about how it was to be shaped and what was to be on it, Bill Teague volunteered to coordinate the monument project. After all the preparation of the design, Bill had the monument cut, the foundation laid, and the monument placed on the foundation. On one side is the emblem of the US Air Force and the US Army, on another is the emblem of the US Navy and the US Marine Corps, on another the emblem of the US Coast Guard and the US Merchant Marine. On the front of the monument is:

IN MEMORY OF ATHEISTS IN FOXHOLES AND COUNTLESS FREETHINKERS WHO HAVE SERVED THIS COUNTRY WITH HONOR AND DISTINCTION PRESENTED BY THE NATIONAL FREEDOM FROM RELIGION FOUNDATION WITH HOPE THAT IN THE FUTURE MANKIND MAY LEARN TO AVOID ALL WAR

Willa Mae Whatley Auditorium, Fearn Park and the "Atheists-in-Foxholes" monument were all dedicated on July 4, 1999, during the annual Freethought Homecoming. Alice Shiver wrote a poem for the celebration entitled:

Atheists in Foxholes.

Atheists in foxholes, some say they are myths,
Creations of the mind who just don't exist.

Yet, they answered the call to defend, with great pride.
With reason their watchword, they bled and they died.

They took Saratoga from the British crown,
Secured America's freedom at the Battle of Yorktown.

From Sumter to Appomattox, fields flowed with their blood.
When the cannons grew silent, the flag proudly stood.

From the Marne to the Argonne, in trenches and tanks,
They defeated the Germans -- the whole world gave thanks.

They were bombed at Pearl Harbor, fought on to Berlin.
Many freethinking women served along with the men.

Still war keeps erupting -- Iraq, Bosnia, and Kosovo.
Where is the peace that eludes people so?

It is broken by tyrants who bear crosses and creeds,
That overshadow reason with hate and cruel deeds.

So atheists prevail until your work is complete.
Mothers mourn, children cry, and bigots plan your defeat.

By air, land, and sea, you answer freedom's call.
Without god or faith, you seek liberty for all.

In Memory of Atheists in Foxholes
http://www.mindspring.com/~wjager/atheists-in-foxholes.html

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Hey, Nick, I looked at those sites, and I could not find any evolutionist that fit your discription. You have tossed out a rather inflamitory blanket accusation and when asked to provide individuals, you continue with the blanket accusations.

You made the accusation. Now are you intellectually honest enough to find people that fit it and demonstrate how?

I guess only time will tell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chickenman

evil unamerican
May 8, 2002
Visit site
✟9,874.00
npeterly I love your description of a darwinist. I have a question. Do you ever read scientific journals (nature? science?) because I'm fairly certain most if not all the people who submit articles to them are "darwinists". Can you actually point to any flaws in their scientific methodology or conclusions?

hot air

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Darwinists dream up fairy tales to explain why data supports their theory and even more imaginative fairy tales to explain away data that contradicts their theory.

What data that contradicts their theory? Every time we've asked for some on this board we get the same thing - silence.

Upvote 0