Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Im simply in awe that the Iowa Supreme Court would rule that it was alright and legal for a married Dentist to fire his female married Dental Assistant for being too much of a temptation to him when she dressed in scrubs nearly all the time ... because he considered her Hot .

I say, how come he hired her then ? And he come he waited some 10 years before firing her ? This is outrageous , especially when the Assistant wasnt coming onto him and wasnt flaunting herself sexually.

Please weigh in :

Melissa Nelson: Dental Assistant Fired For Being ‘Irresistible’ Is ‘Devastated’ - ABC News

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Okay.

Life is tough being so good-looking. Everybody hates me because I'm beautiful. Everybody job interview where I got turned down, it's because I was good looking. And oh, the sexual harassment from my female bosses. And people don't understand, I have a brain and a personality. Why can't everybody just appreciate me for something other than because I'm so gorgeous? Life is hard. Sometimes I pray that God had just made me a little uglier. :crossrc::crossrc::crossrc: :cool: :holy: :bow:

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
She isn't THAT hot...

Physical beauty is in the eyes of the Beholder isnt it ? Of course, when you work side by side the opposite sex , day in and day out , things like personality can have an impact on Ones favorable opinion often to the point where sexuality becomes part of the equation .

I feel for this lady because she is most likely in a work situation because her family needs that supplementing income and/or because she is committed to her line of work . It is highly discriminatory when anyone is fired for physical beauty...and especially when they arent flaunting it in the least . It was a grave error for the State Supreme Court where they reside, to rule in his favor as if the male Dentist is powerless to help himself regarding control of his sexuality ; it is akin to not allowing any very nice looking women (who are appropriately dressed) into Starbucks so married male Coffee Drinkers arent tempted to lust over them and proposition them .

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Okay.

Life is tough being so good-looking. Everybody hates me because I'm beautiful. Everybody job interview where I got turned down, it's because I was good looking. And oh, the sexual harassment from my female bosses. And people don't understand, I have a brain and a personality. Why can't everybody just appreciate me for something other than because I'm so gorgeous? Life is hard. Sometimes I pray that God had just made me a little uglier. :crossrc::crossrc::crossrc: :cool: :holy: :bow:

Ha ha...that was funny. Usually its the nice looking people that fair well in life especially when it comes to job interviews because good looks are seen as very desirable and good for business. On the flipside, i have met highly georgeous looking Gals that complain they cant get a decent Date because of their looks (assuming they arent snooty because they know they look good, which is enough of a deal breaker with most guys) .

Upvote 0

Lilly Owl

Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?
Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'd hope the wife of the Dentist would be worried more about her husband, than satisfied they were legally allowed to fire someone he saw as a temptation.

What's it say about his wife's appearance. "I like ugly!" ?
Sounds like sexual harassment and sex discrimination to me. Maybe this woman will counter sue or have some other recourse. This is scary. If it can happen in Iowa it can happen anywhere.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd hope the wife of the Dentist would be worried more about her husband, than satisfied they were legally allowed to fire someone he saw as a temptation.

What's it say about his wife's appearance. "I like ugly!" ?
Sounds like sexual harassment and sex discrimination to me. Maybe this woman will counter sue or have some other recourse. This is scary. If it can happen in Iowa it can happen anywhere.

It was on Good Morning America , ABC NEWS, the last couple days...and theres no recourse with it having gotton to the state Supreme Court and decided on. Any lower Court isnt going to toss out the highest court in the state. I think the bad press is going to be enormous for the Male Dentist and the fallout in the town he lives in from females is going to be pretty unbearable . I can see the Dentist loosing a ton of business from his unethical and brazen choice . In fact, if I were a woman living in that town, I would devote some picketting outside his Office a few times per week in taking a proactive stand. It is simply outraegous .

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If I'm in town I've got other things to worry about, like whether he is going to abuse my insurance, will I ever have to come back and fix the job he's done, and is he going to take care of my teeth. His business of his hiring & firing of assistants has no bearing--only the hygienist working on me matters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As I said in the other thread, the Court did not grant approval to the employer's actions, or those of his wife.

But employment law allows a boss to fire any employee for any reason with only two exceptions. If there is a formal contract involved, both sides must adhere to the terms they agreed to when signing the contract, and if there are issues directly related to "suspect classes" (typically race, religion, ethnicity; often age and gender; in some states sexual orientation, and in a few states sexual identity) in the state's civil rights laws, then those laws limit the boss' right to fire the employee.

None of this applied in this case, so the Court had no choice but to dismiss the case. There was no relevant law they could use to find for the employee. Blame the state legislature, not the judges.

Upvote 0

OllieFranz

Jul 2, 2007
✟23,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In most states any employer can fire any employee at any time for any reason, as I stated above, with only those two exceptions. Anyone's job is subject to abrupt and unannounced termination. So why do employers keep the same people on in their jobs, year after year?

The main reason is productivity. Happy workers are more productive than nervous workers. Loyal workers are more productive, also, and to get loyalty, you need to give loyalty. Constant turnover means constantly bringing in inexperienced workers who are lessproductive until they are trained, and training time comes out of production time, making them even less productive.

Generally, respecting your employees is good for business, so most often, even with so-called "at will" employment, most workers' jobs are safe and the boss will only fire someone for cause. But "at will" is still the basic employment agreement, and some bosses will fire a person for personal reasons. And there is nothing to be done, but find a new job.

Upvote 0

Lilly Owl

Since when is God's adversary a curse word here?
Dec 23, 2012
✟2,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
She should not have pursued it based on attractiveness but merely sexual discrimination.
I agree. Too bad she didn't have an attorney that advised her to pursue a course of action that would have allowed her to be awarded a verdict in her favor.
I wonder who her attorneys dentist is. :scratch::swoon:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Good point about the higher court not being overturned by the lower one's . Bummer though.
I'm surprised Feminist activist groups haven't jumped on this.

I think they shall. Especially the N.O.W.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds to me like it was more his problem than hers....."Oh, I just can't control my bull-buffalo-in-rut nature when you're around, so you'll have to go."

Of course, OTOH, we don't know how she comported herself on the job, either; if her scrubs were two sizes too small and she smiled at him with hooded eyelids and ran her tongue across her upper lip several times a day, it may have been more her fault than his.

Hard to say without having been there.

Upvote 0