Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Didache - Chapter 2 continued

Re: Magic

Magic was listed as a grave sin in the Didache.

It was also mentioned in Acts19:19 (NKJV)

Also, many of those who had praciced magic brought their books together and burned them in the sight of all. And they counted up the value of them, and it totaled fifty thousand pieces of silver.

I just found this on a Roman Catholic website.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0109.html

The Council of Ancyra (314) imposed a five-year penance on those who practiced magic or consulted with fortune tellers.

The Orthodox Church to this day continues to impose penances upon those who seek the advice of a fortune teller or who practice magic.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/didache-roberts.html

The Didache

Chapter 3. Other Sins Forbidden. My child, flee from every evil thing, and from every likeness of it. Be not prone to anger, for anger leads to murder. Be neither jealous, nor quarrelsome, nor of hot temper, for out of all these murders are engendered. My child, be not a lustful one. for lust leads to fornication. Be neither a filthy talker, nor of lofty eye, for out of all these adulteries are engendered. My child, be not an observer of omens, since it leads to idolatry. Be neither an enchanter, nor an astrologer, nor a purifier, nor be willing to took at these things, for out of all these idolatry is engendered. My child, be not a liar, since a lie leads to theft. Be neither money-loving, nor vainglorious, for out of all these thefts are engendered. My child, be not a murmurer, since it leads the way to blasphemy. Be neither self-willed nor evil-minded, for out of all these blasphemies are engendered.

Rather, be meek, since the meek shall inherit the earth. Be long-suffering and pitiful and guileless and gentle and good and always trembling at the words which you have heard. You shall not exalt yourself, nor give over-confidence to your soul. Your soul shall not be joined with lofty ones, but with just and lowly ones shall it have its intercourse. Accept whatever happens to you as good, knowing that apart from God nothing comes to pass.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
When I studied the Didache in a classroom setting with my priest, he said that Chapter 3 of the Didache should be easy to understand.

If we love all men as Christ told us to, and we pray and fast for everyone, including our enemies, this is the essence of Christianity. This is good.

However, in order to keep ourselves pure, we must guard all our senses. It is necessary to guard the eyes. We should not be looking at trashy magazines, sexy ads displayed on billboards, nor shows and movies that portray sex and violence. We should also guard our ears from hearing gossip, dirty jokes, secular music, TV and talk radio, and cussing. Listening to chant is better. Practicing silence is best. It is only when we are quiet that we can hear the still voice of God speak within us. Likewise we should guard our tongue from speaking anything that will cause anger, slander, or scandal. We should also be careful not to complain or to criticize, but we should try to see the good in all things. Mea culpa! If we can truthfully say that we are doing all of these things, we are not far from the Kingdom of God. Finally, we must guard against pride, which is our greatest enemy.

If anyone has any comments, scripture quotes or quotes from other Church fathers, please feel free to do so!

Upvote 0

Axion

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2003
uk
Visit site
✟4,616.00
Faith
Catholic
I think one of the big principles I see in Chapter three is that minor sins lead to greater sins, small infractions that become a habit, make us more open to major sin.
My child, be not an observer of omens, since it leads to idolatry. Be neither an enchanter, nor an astrologer, nor a purifier, nor be willing to took at these things, for out of all these idolatry is engendered.
It seems they had the same problem with horoscopes, tarot cards, fortune tellers etc. then, that we do now. we are told that these lead to Idolatry.

I presume in the modern age Idolatry could mean a) becoming dependent on such things b) Worshipping and becoming subject to the "gods" and principles of the New Age and Wicca.

TV programmes such as Buffy and Charmed are another thing that seems to promote wicca and New Age. In several local bookships now, I've seen more books on Wicca available, than on Christianity.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Axion (Worthy one)!

Thanks for your comments.
Indeed these modern times have become the Age of Aquarius.
I guess you could say that we have gone into another Dark Age.

Didache said:
...Be not prone to anger, for anger leads to murder....

We see this a lot in Los Angeles with all the road rage.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Didache said:
Accept whatever happens to you as good, knowing that apart from God nothing comes to pass.

There is the saying from Scripture that even evil will turn out good for those who love God.

If, for example, we don't get a particular job, then maybe a better job will come our way.

If we become sick, then perhaps that illness will teach us to be more patient and understanding with those who are ill.

In all things, we should thank the Lord.

Lovingly yours in Christ,
Elizabeth

P.S. Are there any more comments, questions, or scripture quotes? If not, should I post Chapter 4?

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The Didache

Chapter 4. Various Precepts. My child, remember night and day him who speaks the word of God to you, and honor him as you do the Lord. For wherever the lordly rule is uttered, there is the Lord. And seek out day by day the faces of the saints, in order that you may rest upon their words. Do not long for division, but rather bring those who contend to peace. Judge righteously, and do not respect persons in reproving for transgressions. You shall not be undecided whether or not it shall be. Be not a stretcher forth of the hands to receive and a drawer of them back to give. If you have anything, through your hands you shall give ransom for your sins. Do not hesitate to give, nor complain when you give; for you shall know who is the good repayer of the hire. Do not turn away from him who is in want; rather, share all things with your brother, and do not say that they are your own. For if you are partakers in that which is immortal, how much more in things which are mortal? Do not remove your hand from your son or daughter; rather, teach them the fear of God from their youth. Do not enjoin anything in your bitterness upon your bondman or maidservant, who hope in the same God, lest ever they shall fear not God who is over both; for he comes not to call according to the outward appearance, but to them whom the Spirit has prepared. And you bondmen shall be subject to your masters as to a type of God, in modesty and fear. You shall hate all hypocrisy and everything which is not pleasing to the Lord. Do not in any way forsake the commandments of the Lord; but keep what you have received, neither adding thereto nor taking away therefrom. In the church you shall acknowledge your transgressions, and you shall not come near for your prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of life.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
[b said:
The Didache[/b]]

Chapter 4. Various Precepts. My child, remember night and day him who speaks the word of God to you, and honor him as you do the Lord. For wherever the lordly rule is uttered, there is the Lord. And seek out day by day the faces of the saints, in order that you may rest upon their words. ...

The Church is One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic.

The priest mentioned that we are to pray for, honor, and respect our presbyters and bishops who rule over us, because they bring the Holy Sacraments to us.

St. Ignatius of Antioch wrote that wherever the Bishops are, there is the Catholic Church. He also mentioned that when we honor the Bishops and presbyters, we honor the Lord.

Any Bible quotes, quotes from the Church Fathers, or comments?

Overseer = Bishop

Would anyone like to look up the following references and post them?

Bishop - I Tim 3:1 and Titus 1:7

Overseer - I Peter 2:25

Overseers - Acts 20:28 and I Peter 5:2

Thanks!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

[b said:
The Didache[/b]]

Chapter 4. ... Do not long for division, but rather bring those who contend to peace. Judge righteously, and do not respect persons in reproving for transgressions. You shall not be undecided whether or not it shall be. ...

The One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church must reprove and correct those in error. She must do so firmly and decisively. St. Paul set the example in his epistle when he told the local churches to excommunicate those who were causing scandals or being divisive.

Excommunication is never popular but it is necessary. Defrocking a priest is likewise necessary if they have engaged in behavior unbecoming of a priest and have violated one of the Holy Canons.

Any comments here or scripture quotes?

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Didache said:
Judge righteously, and do not respect persons in reproving for transgressions.

Chapter 4 continued

This quotation from the Didache should be followed by the Church today, but it has not been. If this precept was observed, then the Bishops in the Church would be excommunicating the anti-life politicians who claim to be Catholics or Orthodox Christians.

Furthermore, we would not have had all these pedophile priests shuffled from parish to parish or from diocese to diocese. Any priest engaging in such despicable conduct should be defrocked. Hopefully the examples given by the Orthodox Church will encourage the Catholic Church to be more firm and decisive.

The Church need to "seize the moment" and start acting like the Church. It seems like only the laity get the corrections, but the rich and the powerful don't. According to the Didache and the Bible this shouldn't be so. The Church should be correcting all irrespective of class or position.

St. Athanasius and St. John Chrysostom are good examples of fearless Bishops who were willing to suffer exile in defense of the truth. These two saints boldly corrected all who were in error - even the Emperor and Empress.

How can we have courageous hierarchs if we do not take the time to raise our children to fear the Lord and to love the Church? How can we have more monks from which Bishops can be chosen, if we oppose monasticism in our own families?

Our homes should be little domestic Churches where we raise our children to be devout monastics or leaders in the Church who will help cure this insanity in the world.

Does anyone have any comment or Biblical quotes to share?

Your sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

[b said:
The Didache[/b]]

Chapter 4. Various Precepts. My child, remember night and day him who speaks the word of God to you, and honor him as you do the Lord. For wherever the lordly rule is uttered, there is the Lord. And seek out day by day the faces of the saints, in order that you may rest upon their words. Do not long for division, but rather bring those who contend to peace. Judge righteously, and do not respect persons in reproving for transgressions. You shall not be undecided whether or not it shall be. Be not a stretcher forth of the hands to receive and a drawer of them back to give. If you have anything, through your hands you shall give ransom for your sins. Do not hesitate to give, nor complain when you give; for you shall know who is the good repayer of the hire. Do not turn away from him who is in want; rather, share all things with your brother, and do not say that they are your own. For if you are partakers in that which is immortal, how much more in things which are mortal? Do not remove your hand from your son or daughter; rather, teach them the fear of God from their youth. Do not enjoin anything in your bitterness upon your bondman or maidservant, who hope in the same God, lest ever they shall fear not God who is over both; for he comes not to call according to the outward appearance, but to them whom the Spirit has prepared. And you bondmen shall be subject to your masters as to a type of God, in modesty and fear. You shall hate all hypocrisy and everything which is not pleasing to the Lord. Do not in any way forsake the commandments of the Lord; but keep what you have received, neither adding thereto nor taking away therefrom. In the church you shall acknowledge your transgressions, and you shall not come near for your prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of life.

Most of this chapter is quite simple to understand if you have been reading the Didache from the very beginning.

The part of the chapter which I have put in bold refers to the Holy Sacrament of Confession. In the early Church, the Christians would boldly confess their sins outloud in the midst of everyone. However certain abuses occurred. If a man committed adultery and confessed it, his brother-in-law might decide to kill him rather than forgive him. So sometime after St. Constantine legalized Christianity as a religion, the monks instituted private confession before the priest.

Before we move onto Chapter 5 of the Didache, are there any comments on this passage or any Bible quote that any one wishes to share?

You may also send me a PM if you wish to ask a question in private.

Yours truly in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Bastoune

Jul 14, 2003
New York, NY, USA
✟1,694.00
Faith
Catholic
chanterhanson said:
Chapter 4 continued

This quotation from the Didache should be followed by the Church today, but it has not been. If this precept was observed, then the Bishops in the Church would be excommunicating the anti-life politicians who claim to be Catholics or Orthodox Christians.

Furthermore, we would not have had all these pedophile priests shuffled from parish to parish or from diocese to diocese. Any priest engaging in such despicable conduct should be defrocked. Hopefully the examples given by the Orthodox Church will encourage the Catholic Church to be more firm and decisive.

The Church need to "seize the moment" and start acting like the Church. It seems like only the laity get the corrections, but the rich and the powerful don't. According to the Didache and the Bible this shouldn't be so. The Church should be correcting all irrespective of class or position.

St. Athanasius and St. John Chrysostom are good examples of fearless Bishops who were willing to suffer exile in defense of the truth. These two saints boldly corrected all who were in error - even the Emperor and Empress.

How can we have courageous hierarchs if we do not take the time to raise our children to fear the Lord and to love the Church? How can we have more monks from which Bishops can be chosen, if we oppose monasticism in our own families?

Our homes should be little domestic Churches where we raise our children to be devout monastics or leaders in the Church who will help cure this insanity in the world.

Does anyone have any comment or Biblical quotes to share?

Your sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

I agree with this wholly. On another site, I corrected a priest, though publicly, on his misinformation and overall tone of language which were apprehensible. He in turn referred me to the Catholic Church's "Codes of Fraternal Correction" and banned me from his site :sigh: :

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/303300.htm

I think there needs to be great caution, wisdom and delicacy when we deal with admonishing superiors. However, we cannot back down from the Truth. The early church councils are great examples of the amount of dedication, prayer and discernment it may take in order to reach a final goal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The Didache

Chapter 5.
The Way of Death. And the way of death is this: First of all it is evil and accursed: murders, adultery, lust, fornication, thefts, idolatries, magic arts, witchcrafts, rape, false witness, hypocrisy, double-heartedness, deceit, haughtiness, depravity, self-will, greediness, filthy talking, jealousy, over-confidence, loftiness, boastfulness; persecutors of the good, hating truth, loving a lie, not knowing a reward for righteousness, not cleaving to good nor to righteous judgment, watching not for that which is good, but for that which is evil; from whom meekness and endurance are far, loving vanities, pursuing revenge, not pitying a poor man, not laboring for the afflicted, not knowing Him Who made them, murderers of children, destroyers of the handiwork of God, turning away from him who is in want, afflicting him who is distressed, advocates of the rich, lawless judges of the poor, utter sinners. Be delivered, children, from all these.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bastoune said:
I agree with this wholly. On another site, I corrected a priest, though publicly, on his misinformation and overall tone of language which were apprehensible. He in turn referred me to the Catholic Church's "Codes of Fraternal Correction" and banned me from his site :sigh: :

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/303300.htm

I think there needs to be great caution, wisdom and delicacy when we deal with admonishing superiors. However, we cannot back down from the Truth. The early church councils are great examples of the amount of dedication, prayer and discernment it may take in order to reach a final goal.

Dear Tim:

That's precisely why I said the laity need to be raising their children to be saints. We need saints who become bishops. We need saints who will become priests. With saintly bishops and priests, we will have a renewal of apostolic zeal, faith, and love in our church.

Lovingly yours in Christ our God,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The Didache: Chapter 6. Against False Teachers, and Food Offered to Idols. See that no one causes you to err from this way of the Teaching, since apart from God it teaches you. For if you are able to bear the entire yoke of the Lord, you will be perfect; but if you are not able to do this, do what you are able. And concerning food, bear what you are able; but against that which is sacrificed to idols be exceedingly careful; for it is the service of dead gods.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear readers:

The priest informed us that we should not be eating at Hare Krishna meals, since the 'free' meals they serve are offered to their gods. However, good Orthodox Christians would not go there anyway.

This passage in Chapter 6 of The Didache reflects the passage in Acts, when the Bishops and Apostles gathered together for the Council of Jerusalem, in A.D. 49. From this historic council, we can say that the Didache had to be written after 49 A.D. The Council issued the following decree which is found in Acts 15: 28-29:

St. Luke in Acts said:
For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:
That you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell. (NKJV)

The whole intent of this chapter teaches the catechumens to avoid giving scandal. Eating meat sacrificed to idols is just meat, as idols don't exist, but to another person who is weak in the faith, it could be scandalous. Therefore, we are to be careful what we do and say so as not to scandalize the weaker brethren.

If you have any questions or quotes, please feel free to respond.

Yours in Christ our God,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
BTW: The beginning chapters of The Didache were written as an instruction manual for catechumens.

Regarding the catechumenate, I forgot to mention that the Orthodox Priest who was leading this study stressed that the catechumens were expected to live exemplary lives having a good and honest reputation within the community.

The Early Church had to be very careful whom it admitted into the catechumenate due to the persecutions. Candidates were therefore only admitted to the catechumenate if they were recommended by their Christian sponsors.

Again, if anyone has any corrections or comments, please feel free to post.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.