Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oblio said:
Thy Kingdom come:

Number one, it's His Kingdom, not ours (though we sure do forget sometimes ;) ) His Kingdom, within us, of love and everything good, we are to pray for it to increase, to come ...

Yes, we can get very comfy in our easy chairs. Sometimes it's difficult to get out of bed and go to church on Sundays. Yet He is the King of All (cf. Cherubic Hymn) and we do owe Him all honor and praise.

Dearest Oblio, thanks again for your words of truth.

To all our readers:

Just a thought ...

What is happening when the Priest prays,

"Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen."

WHEN and WHY does he use those words? (Hint: The Sacraments)

Notice that the Priest uses the present tense, yet "Thy Kingdom come" sounds like the future.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think I found at least part of the answer in Metropolitan Hierotheos'
Life After Death:

The Church, which is the risen Body of Christ, is the place where we experience His triumphal victory over death and where we already share as a foretaste, the Kingdom of God. (17)

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.

God is ultimately in charge, even though we don't want to admit it sometimes. We want to dominate others and impose our will, but that won't happen in heaven.

In heaven, we will be praising and glorifying God for all eternity. It will be God-centered, not me-centered.

Not my will, but Thine be done. We have to empty ourselves before we can live in the Kingdom of God -- the Kingdom of Heaven.

Lord, have mercy on us and save us!

Any comments here?

Your sister in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Give us today our daily (needful) bread, and forgive us our debt as we also forgive our debtors.

This sentence alone could generate a thread as we have all heard many sermons pertaining to forgiveness. Please share any thoughts, sermons, or quotes from books you have read.

Upvote 0
The sentence "give us our daily bread..." one needs to know some Greek here.

"bread" was translated as the word closests to the Greek word "arton."

"Arton" can mean bread, but within the Lord's pray it means a little more than food or meal. It can mean a spiritual food, a soul sustaining food, ie. the Eucharist! "Arton," is also the Sacraments of the Orthodoxy Church, because it is through the Sacraments are we lifted up rescued from death and sin.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
mtown said:
The sentence "give us our daily bread..." one needs to know some Greek here.

"bread" was translated as the word closests to the Greek word "arton."

"Arton" can mean bread, but within the Lord's pray it means a little more than food or meal. It can mean a spiritual food, a soul sustaining food, ie. the Eucharist! "Arton," is also the Sacraments of the Orthodoxy Church, because it is through the Sacraments are we lifted up rescued from death and sin.

Great insight, Miltiadis!

I also like the translator's notes: needful bread -- bread that is necessary for both spiritual and physical life. Not an excess either, just what is needed. Just a thought - in Orthodoxy, one rarely sees an obese monastic.

Does anyone have any further comments as we proceed on?

forgive us our debt as we also forgive our debtors.

Is the Greek word "amartia" (missing the mark or the bull's-eye) used here in the Lord's Prayer? If this is the case, do you see how our Lord does expect us to strive for perfection. Just hitting the target isn't enough. We cannot be satisfied with mediocrity.

Is the word "trespass" a good translation, or is "debt" a better choice?

Yours truly in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Archbishop Stylianos of Australia (see Prayer on this forum) said that the only thing that God will not grant us, unless we pray for it, is repentance and the forgiveness of our sins. All other things he grants to us: food, water, clothing, and shelter.

When we pray, Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me a sinner, we are asking God to have mercy on us and to grant us the grace of repentance.

When we pray, Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, we are asking God to give us a spirit of repentance so that we can be forgiven our sins and then receive the Bread of Eternal Life, our Eucharistic Lord.

But there is a condition here, as we forgive those who trespass against us. In the measure that we are willing to forgive others, we ourselves will be forgiven.

About six years ago, there was a woman who was interviewed for the local newspaper. Her child was murdered and the murderer was sitting in death row. In a letter she wrote to this criminal, she stated that if she did not forgive him, how could she expect to be forgiven by God. She said that she was praying that the Lord would also forgive him and that he would come to know Jesus Christ our Lord and God before he died. She asked the murderer if she could become his pen pal and "adopt" him as her son. He replied, "yes" and through her prayers, he became a Christian.

This is what Christianity is all about. Forgiveness.

Forgiveness is the only key we need to enter heaven.

Think about it.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
mtown said:
"Debts" are sins, transgressions, and trespasses.

In the context of this part of the Lord's Prayer is a commandment. Refer to Luke 6:27-42.

Dear Milty and all readers:

Luke 6:27-42 seems like it is a expansion of the first six chapters of The Didache. I wonder if St. Luke contributed to the Didache? When reading St. Matthew's account of Christ's sermon on the Mount, it is evident that many passages seem to be parallel teachings in The Didache.

I won't quote the whole passage from Luke. Read just this portion:

St. Luke said:
27 But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you.
28 bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.
29 To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also; And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.
30 Give to everyone who asks of you. And from him who takes away your goods do not ask them back.
31 And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise.
32 But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.
33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.
34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back.
35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil.
36 Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful. (NKJV)

Therefore, it seems like the Didache is the epitome of Christ's teachings, which are necessary for our salvation. With the sheer numbers of Christian converts during Apostolic times, one can see the necessity of a teaching document during the pre-New Testament times. Remember the New Testament wasn't written until years later. Several of the Gospels and Epistles mentioned that they were written at the request of the Christian disciples who wanted an account of Christ's life and teachings before the Apostles left this earth.

Any comments?

Yours in Christ our God,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear friends in Christ:

Here's a prayer, a meditation on the Lord's Prayer, from Metropolitan Philaret, which is prayed by both Catholics and Orthodox. As I recall, the late Thomas Merton, a Catholic priest-monk, also prayed this prayer:

Prayer of Metropolitan Philaret

O Lord, I know not what to ask of You.
You alone know what are my true needs.
You love me more than I myself know how to love.
Help me to see my real needs which are concealed from me.
I dare not ask either cross or consolation
I can only wait on You.
My heart is open to You.
Visit and help me for Your great mercy's sake.
Strike me and heal me.
Cast me down and raise me up.
I worship in silence Your holy will and Your unsearchable ways.
I offer myself as a sacrifice to You.
I have no other desire than to fulfill Your will.
Teach me how to pray.
Do You Yourself pray in me. Amen.

--

Before continuing, please post any comments or quotes from the Holy Fathers and the Bible regarding the Lord's Prayer, in particular the final sentence from the Lord's Prayer:

And bring us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one (or, evil); for Thine is the power and the glory for ever..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
mtown said:
worth reading in it's entirity.

Taken from the Greek Archdiocese of America collection of writings from Apostolic fathers.

http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/ANF-05/anf05-114.htm#P7129_2334049

I am posting just paragraph #26 and 27 from the url listed in Milty's post. The numbers refer to footnotes.

26. Now power is given against us in two modes: either for punishment when we sin, or for glory when we are proved, as we see was done with respect to Job; as God Himself sets forth, saying, "Behold, all that he hath I give unto thy hands; but be careful not to touch himself."70 And the Lord in His Gospel says, in the time of His passion, "Thou couldest have no power against me unless it were given thee from above."71 But when we ask that we may not come into temptation, we are reminded of our infirmity and weakness in that we thus ask, lest any should insolently vaunt himself, lest any should proudly and arrogantly assume anything to himself, lest any should take to himself the glory either of confession or of suffering as his own, when the Lord Himself, teaching humility, said, "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak; "72 so that while a humble and submissive confession comes first, and all is attributed to God, whatever is sought for suppliantly with fear and honour of God, may be granted by His own loving-kindness.

27. After all these things, in the conclusion of the prayer comes a brief clause, which shortly and comprehensively sums up all our petitions and our prayers. For we conclude by saying, "But deliver us from evil," comprehending all adverse things which the enemy attempts against us in this world, from which there may be a faithful and sure protection if God deliver us, if He afford His help to us who pray for and implore it. And when we say, Deliver us from evil, there remains nothing further which ought to be asked. When we have once asked for God's protection against evil, and have obtained it, then against everything which the devil and the world work against us we stand secure and safe. For what fear is there in this life, to the man whose guardian in this life is God?

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear friends in Christ,

Let's conclude this chapter with the words of St. Matthew. St. Matthew supposedly wrote his Gospel after St. Mark. Therefore St. Matthew's gospel is longer.

St. Matthew 6:5-8 said:
5 And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secrete place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. for they think that they will be heard for their many words.
8 Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.
9 In this manner, therefore, pray:
Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name. ... (NKJV)

Does anyone have any final remarks before we post the next chapter?

Lovingly yours in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0
It is not so easy, to quote a passage from the Bible and then to say, any comments. It is clear that when approaching this passages to understand what it is telling us. It is telling us how to pray.

I leave you with the following articles to read about the subject of prayer.

http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article8157.asp

http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/Stylianos_On_Prayer.html
(I know that i posted this before, but it is a really good article)

http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/symeon_threeways.html

and finally:

http://www.myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/main.htm
(This is a prayer book, but within all these prayers you find the root in what the above scripture passage was saying. Plus it is a good reference page and should be bookmarked for future reference!)

I also wish that y'all could read Greek, because there are some wonderful articles on prayer that would simple leave everyone breathless!

Next Chapetr!

In Christ,

Miltiadis

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.