Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dearest Art, David and any viewers:

Now it's beginning to hit me:

All those plaques that we give people - that are useless except to hang on walls. These are useless gifts! These puff people up and can be detrimental. We will pay for our foolishness in giving these gifts.

I remember this priest who proceeded to give away all the gifts that he had received. Perhaps he had read the Didache.

One of our priests discouraged gift giving at Christmas. Instead he encouraged us to work in the soup kitchen to help feed the hungry. What a way to spend Christmas!

Just some thoughts! Can you think of other useless gifts that we give people?

Lovingly in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
chanterhanson said:
Dear David and Art,

Go ahead. Bring on the Scriptural references.

Please give the biblical references as we are trying to tie the Didache into biblical teachings for the benefit of our Protestant and Jewish brothers who may be listening in.

Chapter 2 can wait until everything from Chapter 1 has been discussed and clarified.

Lovingly yours in Christ,

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

Considering this is an Orthodox thread, do you think it would be okay for me to still use the term “Purgatory” in providing an argument and support from Scripture?

The reason I ask is that it would make it considerably easier for me. Because I could then cut and paste some excerpts from the article I mentioned earlier, which is basically an argument from Scripture. It would be more work for me to edit out each reference to “Purgatory” and replace it with “period of afterlife confinement prior to heavenly glory” or some other acceptable term. But I would be willing to do the editing, if you think it more appropriate.

Upvote 0

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
artnalex said:
I was always under the impression that EO's believed in a "state" of purgation, not necessarily a "place" of purgation. Do I have that right? Phillip?

This is not really my area of expertice. It is something that I want to study. I think I remember something describe it as a time when God's love burns off those human flaws that we still cling to.

Upvote 0

Philip

Orthodoxy: Old School, Hard Core Christianity
Jun 23, 2003
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟7,106.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Skripper said:
Considering this is an Orthodox thread, do you think it would be okay for me to still use the term “Purgatory” in providing an argument and support from Scripture?

The reason I ask is that it would make it considerably easier for me. Because I could then cut and paste some excerpts from the article I mentioned earlier, which is basically an argument from Scripture. It would be more work for me to edit out each reference to “Purgatory” and replace it with “period of afterlife confinement prior to heavenly glory” or some other acceptable term. But I would be willing to do the editing, if you think it more appropriate.

I have no issue with the term "purgatory", but I would prefer that it be spun off in another thread, either here or in OBOB. It is certainly any interesting and important topic, but I don't think it directly involves the Didache.

It will be interesting to see how many conversations this discussion of the Didache creates.

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
Philip said:
I have no issue with the term "purgatory", but I would prefer that it be spun off in another thread, either here or in OBOB. It is certainly any interesting and important topic, but I don't think it directly involves the Didache.

It will be interesting to see how many conversations this discussion of the Didache creates.

Philip,

I agree. I had even mentioned earlier that I thought it was getting a bit off topic for the subject of this thread. I also can forsee this thread spawning several others . . .

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/didache-roberts.html

The Didache

Chapter 2. The Second Commandment: Grave Sin Forbidden. And the second commandment of the Teaching; You shall not commit murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not commit pederasty, you shall not commit fornication, you shall not steal, you shall not practice magic, you shall not practice witchcraft, you shall not murder a child by abortion nor kill that which is born. You shall not covet the things of your neighbor, you shall not swear, you shall not bear false witness, you shall not speak evil, you shall bear no grudge. You shall not be double-minded nor double-tongued, for to be double-tongued is a snare of death. Your speech shall not be false, nor empty, but fulfilled by deed. You shall not be covetous, nor rapacious, nor a hypocrite, nor evil disposed, nor haughty. You shall not take evil counsel against your neighbor. You shall not hate any man; but some you shall reprove, and concerning some you shall pray, and some you shall love more than your own life.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just some thoughts about chapter 2 of the Didache

The priest mentioned:

It is interesting how adultery and pederasty are lumped together with murder.

Note: pederasty is pedophilia - child molestation.

Adultery destroys the oneness in a marriage. In a Christian marriage, the two have become one flesh in Christ. Since this marriage bond is broken by adultery, adultery is then like murder.

Pederasty often destroys a young boy's life in Christ. How can a young child learn to trust any man again? How can he then relate to God the Father, and Christ, the God-man? Pederasty is then like murder.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Continuing on in Chapter 2 of the Didache:

The priest commented that

By fornication we destroy the Temple of God who is within us. We murder our souls by this deadly sin.

When a thief steals from people, he provokes murderous thoughts within his victims' souls. Remember what the wild west did to horse thieves = hasty lynchings.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Continuing on with Chapter 2:

This is what the priest concluded:

Magic refers to mixing magic potions that cause abortion and early miscarriages. These were the ancient contraceptives. The Bible talks about pharmacia - which were the poisonous potions that caused a woman to miscarry.

Witchcraft also used these magic potions.

Abortion is murder. Any killing of the unborn embryo or fetus is murder. Anything that prevents that human zygote from implanting in his mother's womb is murder.

From one account I heard that the pagans taught that they could kill the newborn up to 7 days old, because they believed that the soul was implanted on the eighth day. On the eighth day the child was given a name. This practice still prevails in India.

Before we go on, please give me any comments, especially Biblical quotes to confirm the Didache's teachings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Papist

Hannah and Rowan's Dad
Jul 13, 2003
Hamilton, Waikato
✟17,114.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
chanterhanson said:
Dearest Art, David and any viewers:

Now it's beginning to hit me:

All those plaques that we give people - that are useless except to hang on walls. These are useless gifts! These puff people up and can be detrimental. We will pay for our foolishness in giving these gifts.

I remember this priest who proceeded to give away all the gifts that he had received. Perhaps he had read the Didache.

One of our priests discouraged gift giving at Christmas. Instead he encouraged us to work in the soup kitchen to help feed the hungry. What a way to spend Christmas!

Just some thoughts! Can you think of other useless gifts that we give people?

Lovingly in Christ,
Elizabeth

I feel similarly about the 'blessings' and 'reputations' on these forums. I think they can so easily be the cause of pride. Small, obviously, but I still feel a little uneasy about them.

Upvote 0

Papist

Hannah and Rowan's Dad
Jul 13, 2003
Hamilton, Waikato
✟17,114.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
chanterhanson said:

The Didache

Chapter 2. The Second Commandment: Grave Sin Forbidden. And the second commandment of the Teaching; You shall not commit murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not commit pederasty, you shall not commit fornication, you shall not steal, you shall not practice magic, you shall not practice witchcraft, you shall not murder a child by abortion nor kill that which is born. You shall not covet the things of your neighbor, you shall not swear, you shall not bear false witness, you shall not speak evil, you shall bear no grudge. You shall not be double-minded nor double-tongued, for to be double-tongued is a snare of death. Your speech shall not be false, nor empty, but fulfilled by deed. You shall not be covetous, nor rapacious, nor a hypocrite, nor evil disposed, nor haughty. You shall not take evil counsel against your neighbor. You shall not hate any man; but some you shall reprove, and concerning some you shall pray, and some you shall love more than your own life.

What is fornication? Is it sex outside/before marriage or is it promiscuity?

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
chanterhanson said:
Continuing on with Chapter 2

Before we go on, please give me any comments, especially Biblical quotes to confirm the Didache's teachings.

Psalm 139
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

Isaiah 44

1 "But now listen, O Jacob, my servant,
Israel, whom I have chosen.
2 This is what the LORD says-
he who made you, who formed you in the womb,
and who will help you

Job 10

8 "Your hands shaped me and made me.
Will you now turn and destroy me?
9 Remember that you molded me like clay.
Will you now turn me to dust again?
10 Did you not pour me out like milk
and curdle me like cheese,
11 clothe me with skin and flesh
and knit me together with bones and sinews?
12 You gave me life and showed me kindness,
and in your providence watched over my spirit.

Jeremiah 1:5

5 "Before I formed you in the womb I knew [1] you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

Michelle

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Papist said:
What is fornication? Is it sex outside/before marriage or is it promiscuity?

Dear Papist:

I hesitate to go into this subject in detail just in case there are some young people here, but with the sex education that our babies are receiving starting in kindergarten, perhaps using general terms will be okay.

Fornication is pre-marital sex or sex outside of marriage. Petting, masturbation, homosexual acts, pedophia, anal or oral sex by the unmarried fall under fornication, so do all the other sexual sins committed by thought, word, or deed, deliberate or indeliberate. Sorry to mention this, but there are some people, like Planned Parenthood, who deliberately try to mislead our youth, by lessening these horrible sins. Many pastors say that young people should not even kiss on the lips (especially French kissing) before they are on the altar.

Adultery is infidelity to the marital bond. Masturbation or onanism by a married person or couple is a form of adultery. Adultery likewise can be committed by thought, word, or deed.

This information was given to me by both Catholic and Orthodox priests during my Engaged Encounter and Marriage Encounter. You can find more information in the CCC.

If you are not sure of any of these terms, please use a dictionary.

Yours in Christ,
Elizabeth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Miss Shelby said:
The baby leapt in Mary's womb upon hearing the voice of Elizabeth.

Michelle

I agree with you Michelle. St. Luke's Gospel is the pro-life Gospel.

The babe in Elizabeth's womb (the future John the Baptist) leapt for joy upon hearing the greeting of Mary.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
chanterhanson said:
Fornication is pre-marital sex or sex outside of marriage. Petting, masturbation, homosexual acts, pedophia, anal or oral sex by the unmarried fall under fornication, so do all the other sexual sins committed by thought, word, or deed, deliberate or indeliberate.

In light of the Vatican's recent declaration against same-sex marriages, and from what we read previously in Chapter 1 of the Didache, we are to pray and fast for all sinners.

Didache said:
You shall not hate any man; but some you shall reprove, and concerning some you shall pray, and some you shall love more than your own life.

St. Paul condemned the sins which the homosexual lifestyle entails. Pope John Paul II just recently condemned that lifestyle, a lifestyle which is considered sinful in the CCC. Throughout the centuries, Orthodox and Catholic hierarchs have condemned that lifestyle urging the faithful to flee all sexual immorality (see Acts). Notice, however, how the Didache asks us not to hate any man.

We are to pray and fast for each other.

We are to love our spouses more than our own body.

Any comments here!

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

The Didache

Chapter 2. continued... You shall not covet the things of your neighbor, you shall not swear, you shall not bear false witness, you shall not speak evil, you shall bear no grudge. You shall not be double-minded nor double-tongued, for to be double-tongued is a snare of death. Your speech shall not be false, nor empty, but fulfilled by deed. You shall not be covetous, nor rapacious, nor a hypocrite, nor evil disposed, nor haughty. You shall not take evil counsel against your neighbor. You shall not hate any man; but some you shall reprove, and concerning some you shall pray, and some you shall love more than your own life.

Inappropriate behaviors which we should avoid as Christians:
swearing
lying
bearing grudges
sarcasm = double-tongued, which is a snare of the devil
covetousness = desiring what belongs to others
rapaciousness = excessive greed
hypocrisy
haughtiness
hatefulness

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
chanterhanson said:
I agree with you Michelle. St. Luke's Gospel is the pro-life Gospel.

:)

And I forgot to mention John the Baptist leaping for joy in the presence of Jesus when they were both yet babes in the womb.

And also the Scripture in Genesis that says we are made in the image of God. That goes along well with all of the knitting Scriptures.

I'm tired... I'm going to bed. G'night. :)

Michelle

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, Michelle!

Here are the verses you referred to:

Luke 1: 39-46 (NKJV)

39 Now Mary arose in those days and went into the hill country with haste, to a city of Judah,

40 and entered the house of Zacharias and greeted Elizabeth.

41 And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.

42 Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!

43 "But why is this granted to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

44 "For indeed, as soon as the voice of your greeting sounded in my ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.

45 "Blessed is she who believed, for there will be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord."

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.