Wales
✟350,718.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
The topic is why I don't believe in evolution. So let's look more closely at 'evolution'.

No, because you've been told that it doesn't work like that. In fact, this is an example of you trolling. You've been given the answer to your questions, which is the changes at the genetic level. Asking about atoms and molecules takes it outside of evolution and biology all together.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
For evolution to happen tissues must first change at the molecular level.

Are you talking about genetic changes? Do you know what genes are? DNA, etc? Is that what you are referring to?

Maybe just give an example of whatever it is you are talking about.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you talking about genetic changes? Do you know what genes are? DNA, etc? Is that what you are referring to?

Maybe just give an example of whatever it is you are talking about.

I'm talking about the precursors to the process. How did they evolve? You can't just start out with genes and DNA. What are genes and DNA made of, and where did that material come from? And how did it come about?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm talking about the precursors to the process. How did they evolve? You can't just start out with genes and DNA. What are genes and DNA made of, and where did that material come from? And how did it come about?
That is a different field of scientific study called abiogenesis. Evolution does not begin until self-replicating life forms exist.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

So you're talking about the origin of life? That's not covered by the current theory of evolution; the theory of evolution deals with living things after life's origin.

If you want to understand the origin of life, you have to look into origin of life research and study up on organic chemistry. Have you looked into those subjects?

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That is a different field of scientific study called abiogenesis. Evolution does not begin until self-replicating life forms exist.

That's the 'problem' I am talking about.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So you're talking about the origin of life? That's not covered by the current theory of evolution; the theory of evolution deals with living things after life's origin.

If you want to understand the origin of life, you have to look into origin of life research and study up on organic chemistry. Have you looked into those subjects?

Not the origin. Evolution, according to science, began acting on the first life form.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Not the origin. Evolution, according to science, began acting on the first life form.
Yeah, but there had to be a life form first for it to act. Since the process by which that life form came to be is thought to have been different from the process by which evolution proceeds, it has seemed appropriate to science to consider them in two different scientific disciplines.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, but there had to be a life form first for it to act. Since the process by which that life form came to be is thought to have been different from the process by which evolution proceeds, it has seemed appropriate to science to consider them in two different scientific disciplines.

Of course. But how did that first life form develop sufficiently for evolution to finally take over it's development into what we see today? It seems there's a pretty big gap there.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Of course. But how did that first life form develop sufficiently for evolution to finally take over it's development into what we see today? It seems there's a pretty big gap there.
It's an area of ongoing scientific research. Do you want to learn about it or not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ruthiesea

Oct 5, 2007
✟71,668.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
You make it sound like evolution is some kind of force. It isn’t. It’s an explanation for observable phenomena.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You make it sound like evolution is some kind of force. It isn’t. It’s an explanation for observable phenomena.

Isn't "natural selection" a force?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Isn't "natural selection" a force?
No, it's just the environment in which a creature exists. Natural selection is the interaction of the creature with its environment.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

Sure. What you are asking about though seems to relate to origin of life. So if you want to start learning about those aspects of life and life's precursors, start investigating current origin-of-life research.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sure. What you are asking about though seems to relate to origin of life. So if you want to start learning about those aspects of life and life's precursors, start investigating current origin-of-life research.

I'm referring to the time between the appearance of the first life form and when evolution begins to act on that life form.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,526.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I'm referring to the time between the appearance of the first life form and when evolution begins to act on that life form.
Evolution is a consequence of life competing for resources.

Reproduction and mutation create the variety.

The more successful variety will grown in number faster.

This isn't supposition, it's a description of how life works.

Upvote 0

Juvenal

Radical strawberry
Feb 8, 2005
Georgia
✟35,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
As long as satan is free, evolution will be believed along with other scientific lies.

Could be someone has already mentioned this, but the author of that piece is Glenn Morton, who's not merely Christian, not merely an inerrantist, but a literalist. I've posted with him for years.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant