yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like to have witnesses who agree with one another.

Is there any truly ancient witness to the 1840 Jasher book?

Were fragments of it found in the Dead Sea Scroll caves?

Was it quoted by ancient writers, especially very early Christian ones?

Was it ever considered a book worth preserving by any Christian community?

These are corroborating witnesses all of which the Books of Enoch and Jubilees have, for instance.
No DSS manuscripts have been reported found at Qumran of it, but it completely refutes the Judaising of Jubilees, which was found there.
There is so much in the Torah that correlates to Jasher and in Enoch that correlates with Jasher, but not to Jubilees, that I do not believe Jubilees is inspired, but that it is valuable in that it does contain the mind of the Judaisers, which Paul detested.

Jesus did mightily refute a major Jubilees doctrine, in his vision to Peter, for Peter quotes from Jubilees in his address to the household of Cornelius, and tells how the LORD showed him the error of that.

In fact, The Tenach and Jasher refutes the false command attributed to Abraham in Jubilees, because Abraham was best friends and in alliance with Memre and his brothers, who were Gentiles all; and Abraham was a teacher of righteousness to the tribes of the nations who came to his door, and who were fed and taught by him, about the ways of the LORD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I liked it! and found nothing that changed or slighted my beliefs in any way, on the contrary it seemed to make better sense with many of the stories that lacked more information. Once I started it I couldn't put it down!
Exactly how it fed my hungry mind for information on things referred to but not explained, in the histories.
When a daughter first read it, to whom I gave a copy after I discovered it, she said, " I don't know, Mom, it seems so fantastic". I said, "and how is that different from what is written in the Tenach or New Testament. If you had never read them and picked them up for the first time, what would you think"?
She agreed, and now accepts it on its own merits.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does the name "Jasher" mean?
From Strong's, sharon is שָׁרוֹן plain, level, abridged from יָשַׁר yasher; to be right, be straight, be level, be upright, be just,
-a verb, AV — please 6, straight 5, direct 4, right 3, well 2, fitted 1, good 1, make straight 1, meet 1, upright 1, uprightly 1

Believing is Knowing

The Hebrew word for bull is “shor” which also means to see in Hebrew and is also similar to straight “yashar”. The ox plows in a straight line
For example the word yashar is usually translated as upright or righteous (abstracts) but is also translated as "straight". From this we can conclude that a "yashar" is one who walks a straight line.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype, Book Antiqua, Palatino, Georgia]
[/FONT]
Ancient Hebrew Word Meanings
"a horse plows a straight line"[FONT=Palatino Linotype, Book Antiqua, Palatino, Georgia]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

These are corroborating witnesses all of which the Books of Enoch and Jubilees have, for instance.

of course...
the 1840 book is a translation
from 1625 ...
history records one copy was taken
to Spain after the fall of Jerusalem...
the Jews gave a copy to Ptolemy,

the books in the qumran caves
did not have Jasher...
it is a book that was not circulated
for others to have copies,
but a book kept in the library of the
country...
it was not considered Scripture,
but a history book...

quoted by Joshua,
referred to as the source of some
of David's decisions in Samuel...

some modern translations, in their study notes are comparing passages...

quoted by Ginzburg's
7 volume set of books on the
history of the Jews...

not Scripture like Enoch...
but history like Josephus...
only Josephus is not referred to
in the Bible twice...

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
you are assuming much,
putting words in my mouth that I did not
say...

That would be difficult since I wasn't responding directly to you. I was talking about the claims that the introduction published with the book in 1625 makes.

The claim is not technically that the book was hidden, however, this is implied because the entire reason for the explanation of the books history was because it was "lost" ie no one for over a thousand years knew of its existence.

If its existence was well known in ANY part of the world, the history of the book included in the introduction to the original publishing in 1625 could have and would have included that information.

As it is, the story presented is presented precisely to explain WHY no one knew of the book's existence. Thus it was defacto 'hidden'.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The fact is, that when the first temple was burned, the understanding of the wise perished, God hid books and closed understanding, to his own people who were in rebellion against Him.
Isa 29:10 For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered [kacah - to cover, conceal, hide.

AV — cover 135, hide 6, conceal 4, covering 2, overwhelmed 2, clad 1, closed 1, clothed 1 ]

Isa 29:13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near [me] with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men: Isa 29:14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, [even] a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise [men] shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent [men] shall be hid

It was after the hiding that Jubilees was created as a truly "Jewish fable", for the fables in it are manipulations to make men believe a lie about the purpose of the Law. It is the most Judaizing book I have ever read.
I do have it in my "collection" and use it, because some of the things in it are got from other books which are now lost -lost, that is, at least for now, to us, but maybe not to everyone.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

The short answer to your question is no. There are no external sources which coroborate the book of Jashar as we know it today.

The supposed 'history' of the book of Jashar is all taken from the introduction to the book of Jashar in its first publishing in 1625. There is not a single external source which verifies ANY of the 'historical' information regarding the book as reported in its introduction.

There is no evidence of the existence of Sidrus, and therefore, of course, no evidence that he ever found a Jewish scribe hidding with his books in 70 AD.

There is, in fact, no evidence that the book of Jashar was contained in the temple or the writings of the Jews at that time.

It is claimed by M.M. Noah who translated the book into English in the 1840's that Josephus mentions the book in his histories. However, to my knowledge no one has ever been able to find the reference in Josephus that M.M. Noah cited. Even supporters of the book of Jashar have not been able to find this reference anywhere in Josephus' works.
As such, I submit that until it can be proven to exist, it can't be relied upon as evidence.

Thus there is, in fact, no evidence that the book existed in the temple at 70 AD.

The claim that the book of Jashar was given to Ptolemy by the Jews, is also found only in the introduction to the book of Jashar and has no external support at all. Further, the account of the translation of the septuagint contained in the introduction of the book of Jashar is close, but also different from the accounts that survive from Philo and other ancient writers.

The introduction to Jashar (which claims to cite a lost portion of the book of Maccabees 3) claims that Ptolemy sent to the Jews demanding that they give him their holy books but they gave him Jashar instead and then when he discovered the deceit he forced them to provide him with copies, and they set 70 scribes to copy the books of the law, which they then gave to Ptolemy.

What Philo (and other ancient Jewish writers) tell us is that Ptolemy gathered 72 Jewish scribes from Alexandria in Egypt and he had each of them secluded in seperate rooms and did not tell them why he gathered them until they were secluded and then instructed each of them to write out the books of Moses in Greek.

Now, in my opinion the biggest peice of evidence against the book of Jashar is the fact that Jewish Rabbi's from the second century AD debated what the book of Jashar actually was. Most of them believed that the book of Jashar was not a reference to a seperate book, but was actually a reference to either Genesis, or Exodus, or possibly both.

The first thing you should note from this is that by the 2nd century AD the most learned men of Jewish lore had NO IDEA what the book of Jashar even was, or if it was even a seperate book or simply a reference to the Torah itself.

Why is this important?
We are asked to believe by the book of Jashar, that it existed and was well known among the Jews up until 70 AD, and its proponents argue that Josephus knew of it writing his histories after 70 AD.

In order to believe this you would have to believe that in less than 100 years all memory of the book of Jashar was so completely lost that the most learned men of Judaism didn't even know what the book was, let alone what it contained.

This further means that all of the references in literature from the 2nd century on which strongly resemble or appear to be quotes or references to Jashar, CAN NOT have been taken from the book of Jashar since it was clearly completely forgotten. Thus it seems very likely that the opposite is true and the book of Jashar was probably based of those references.

By comparison, the book of Enoch fell out of favor by around 450 AD and we still find references to it and knowledge of its existence for 400 years after that. That 400 years only takes us to the last actual citation quoted from the book of Enoch in a western source. It is likely that what the book was continued to be known for some time after that.

It has been pointed out by supporters of the book of Jashar that the main problem with the Rabbinical identification of Jashar with Genesis or Exodus is the citation of the book in Joshua.

However, there is another problem for Jashar here. There reference to Jashar in Joshua is not contained in any of the ancient manuscripts of the OT. Which admittedly are almost all of the Septuagint, with the notable exception of the Dead Sea scrolls.

What this means is essentially that there is no surviving manuscript of Joshua which includes the Jashar reference, older than probably about 800 or 900 AD.

This is why I believe that the book of Jashar was probably composed somewhere in between 300 - 600 AD and was largely based off of, one might even say a compilation of the teachings of Jewish sages and Rabbi's of the 2nd and 3rd century AD.

Given that the reference to Jashar in the book of Joshua is absent from all of the septuagint texts (and all of the dead sea scrolls texts) I think it is likely that this was not in the original book of Joshua and was probably added in by scribal accident after the book of Jashar was written. (basically a scribe who had read the book of Jashar or heard of its account added a note to the text saying "this is also in the book of Jashar" and later on some other scribe copying that text accidentally took it for part of the actual book, rather than a note.)

It is known that the Masoretic text version of Joshua does include other additions as well which are believed to have been added later which are not present in the Septuagint or in the dead sea scrolls.

When it comes down to it, there is evidence that the book of Jashar is older than the middle ages. (granted its pretty scanty)
However, there is not a single shred of evidence that the book of Jashar is the original that it claims to be.

None of the claims of the introduction about the history of the text can be verified and the only historical evidence which does exist seems to weigh against the claims of the introduction rather than for them.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟33,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The fact is, that when the first temple was burned, the understanding of the wise perished, God hid books and closed understanding, to his own people who were in rebellion against Him.
Isa 29:10 For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered [kacah - to cover, conceal, hide.

AV — cover 135, hide 6, conceal 4, covering 2, overwhelmed 2, clad 1, closed 1, clothed 1 ]

Isa 29:13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near [me] with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men: Isa 29:14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, [even] a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise [men] shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent [men] shall be hid

It was after the hiding that Jubilees was created as a truly "Jewish fable", for the fables in it are manipulations to make men believe a lie about the purpose of the Law. It is the most Judaizing book I have ever read.
I do have it in my "collection" and use it, because some of the things in it are got from other books which are now lost -lost, that is, at least for now, to us, but maybe not to everyone.

Granted its possible that the book of Jashar could have been veiled to the Jews. However, one would have to ask why? The book of Jashar introduction, claiming to cite the lost beginning of Maccabees 3 clearly shows that the Jews did not regard Jashar to be inspired, or sacred.
You, I believe, have said as much here.

Thus why would God veil from them a book which isn't sacred and is just a book of history?

Moving on from that point.. much of what is written in Jashar can be found scattered through out Jewish literature, in Mishnah's, Midrash, and Talmud... if God veiled it to them, how is it that they know so much of the same stuff from other sources?

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The book of Jashar introduction, claiming to cite the lost beginning of Maccabees 3 clearly shows that the Jews did not regard Jashar to be inspired, or sacred.

I am not aware of that which you speak...
What is written in the Book of Jasher makes its way into many passages in the Tenach and New Testament, as true. The only inspired writings are Enoch, Torah, Psalms and the prophets: otherwise we have histories, wisdom, prose, and Tobit, a moral story.
Then we have the Witnesses to Jesus writing the Gospel accounts, and the history we call Acts [with some instructions from the Holy spirit recorded in it], and Revelation, which is the last Word from God the Word, and which sheds much light on Enoch's parables for the last days, and vice-versa. Enoch and Revelation are complementary. The letters are instructional letters that do not all apply to all people in all times, for they are not "Thus saith YHWH", but are commentaries on the Gospel message, and instructions on how to "do Church", for the Gentiles, because the Jews already knew how to "do Church", as they had the synagogue services every week.

There is a lot in Jasher that explains what is written in the Torah, because Moses had no need to rewrite what was written.

Moving on from that point.. much of what is written in Jashar can be found scattered through out Jewish literature, in Mishnah's, Midrash, and Talmud... if God veiled it to them, how is it that they know so much of the same stuff from other sources?

From memory, after the dispersion, those things were written -and they did not understand the message, just as Isaiah prophesied, when the seers and prophets were hidden/covered.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I referred earlier to the oft quoting
and acceptance of Jasher ...
Ginzberg, in his writings oft quoted
and gained info from it...

In ‘The Legends of the Jews’ by Ginzberg, 1912, the entire account of Enoch and his ascension is from Jasher 3:2, 38. (Volume 1 pp 127-140)

The endnote of Ginzberg (vol 5, pp 157-158) assumes that Jasher is a compilation of earlier books by the patriarchs, and gives them credit for information about themselves, and only when the account cannot be found elsewhere, is Jasher given as the primary source.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now, in my opinion the biggest peice of evidence against the book of Jashar is the fact that Jewish Rabbi's from the second century AD debated what the book of Jashar actually was. Most of them believed that the book of Jashar was not a reference to a seperate book, but was actually a reference to either Genesis, or Exodus, or possibly both. .
That would be the best recommendation for the "Upright Record", in that the same men who rejected Christ also got rid of Enoch because it is totally a book about the Son of Man, who was the Messiah, who was to come, and whom they [the religious rulers in Judaism], had crucified.

The best evidence for the validity of the Book of Jasher is the Book of Jasher itself, which has the information in it that is missing from Torah, but referenced in Torah, because, "behold, was it not written in the Book of Jasher!" Jasher correlates totally with the Tenach, and clears up confusions that came by its not being kept in the histories available for the reading.
Jasher also has information in it about the surrounding nations during the time Israel was in Egypt, also, which is most helpful to history buffs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are so many things referred to in the Tenach that are not found anywhere but in Enoch or in Jasher. I'm always fascinated when I discover the correlation between those books. Here is just one from the Tenach that you won't find the source of anywhere other than the record in Jasher:
Eze 29:3 Speak, and say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I [am] against thee, Pharaoh king of Egypt, the great dragon that lieth in the midst of his rivers, which hath said, My river [is] mine own, and I have made [it] for myself....
Eze 29:9 And the land of Egypt shall be desolate and waste; and they shall know that I [am] the LORD: because he hath said, The river [is] mine, and I have made [it].

The Pharaoh of the Exodus said that, but God is holding the power behind the throne accountable, centuries later, and will judge Egypt because of the principality who actually worked through the sitting king of Egypt, to challenge YHWH. -PS: so the Nile is a man made river, after all; a feat of the king of Egypt at some point, but not of the one of the Exodus because that one was only in power two years when he said that to Moses, and remained in power only two more years, in Egypt.

Jasher 79:51
And the anger of the king was kindled at their words, and he said to them, But who amongst all the Gods of nations can do this? my river is mine own, and I have made it for myself.

Jasher Chapter 79 - The Book of Jasher Published by J.H. Parry & Company 1887

And when they had gone Pharaoh sent for Balaam the magician and to Jannes and Jambres his sons, and to all the magicians and conjurors and counsellors which belonged to the king, and they all came and sat before the king.
And the king told them all the words which Moses and his brother Aaron had spoken to him, and the magicians said to the king, But how came the men to thee, on account of the lions which were confined at the gate?
And the king said, Because they lifted up their rod against the lions and loosed them, and came to me, and the lions also rejoiced at them as a dog rejoices to meet his master.
And Balaam the son of Beor the magician answered the king, saying, These are none else than magicians like ourselves.
Now therefore send for them, and let them come and we will try them, and the king did so.
And in the morning Pharaoh sent for Moses and Aaron to come before the king, and they took the rod of God, and came to the king and spoke to him, saying,
Thus said the Lord God of the Hebrews, Send my people that they may serve me.
And the king said to them, But who will believe you that you are the messengers of God and that you come to me by his order?
Now therefore give a wonder or sign in this matter, and then the words which you speak will be believed.
And Aaron hastened and threw the rod out of his hand before Pharaoh and before his servants, and the rod turned into a serpent.
And the sorcerers saw this and they cast each man his rod upon the ground and they became serpents.
And the serpent of Aaron's rod lifted up its head and opened its mouth to swallow the rods of the magicians.
And Balaam the magician answered and said, This thing has been from the days of old, that a serpent should swallow its fellow, and that living things devour each other.
Now therefore restore it to a rod as it was at first, and we will also restore our rods as they were at first, and if thy rod shall swallow our rods, then shall we know that the spirit of God is in thee, and if not, thou art only an artificer like unto ourselves.
And Aaron hastened and stretched forth his hand and caught hold of the serpent's tail and it became a rod in his hand, and the sorcerers did the like with their rods, and they got hold, each man of the tail of his serpent, and they became rods as at first.
And when they were restored to rods, the rod of Aaron swallowed up their rods.
And when the king saw this thing, he ordered the book of records that related to the kings of Egypt, to be brought, and they brought the book of records, the chronicles of the kings of Egypt, in which all the idols of Egypt were inscribed, for they thought of finding therein the name of Jehovah, but they found it not.
And Pharaoh said to Moses and Aaron, Behold I have not found the name of your God written in this book, and his name I know not.
And the counsellors and wise men answered the king, We have heard that the God of the Hebrews is a son of the wise, the son of ancient kings.
And Pharaoh turned to Moses and Aaron and said to them, I know not the Lord whom you have declared, neither will I send his people.
And they answered and said to the king, The Lord God of Gods is his name, and he proclaimed his name over us from the days of our ancestors, and sent us, saying, Go to Pharaoh and say unto him, Send my people that they may serve me.
Now therefore send us, that we may take a journey for three days in the wilderness, and there may sacrifice to him, for from the days of our going down to Egypt, he has not taken from our hands either burnt offering, oblation or sacrifice, and if thou wilt not send us, his anger will be kindled against thee, and he will smite Egypt either with the plague or with the sword.
And Pharaoh said to them, Tell me now his power and his might; and they said to him, He created the heaven and the earth, the seas and all their fishes, he formed the light, created the darkness, caused rain upon the earth and watered it, and made the herbage and grass to sprout, he created man and beast and the animals of the forest, the birds of the air and the fish of the sea, and by his mouth they live and die.
Surely he created thee in thy mother's womb, and put into thee the breath of life, and reared thee and placed thee upon the royal throne of Egypt, and he will take thy breath and soul from thee, and return thee to the ground whence thou wast taken.
And the anger of the king was kindled at their words, and he said to them, But who amongst all the Gods of nations can do this? my river is mine own, and I have made it for myself.
And he drove them from him, and he ordered the labor upon Israel to be more severe than it was yesterday and before.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Book of Jasher corrects an error,
one made by archbishop James Ussher.

From Jasher, we learn that Noah and Abraham were contemporaries.
Yet, Ussher had calculated,
using the Bible’s description, that Abraham had been born 60 years later than he had.

Abraham, in Jasher, is seen, while young,
staying with Noah for a time.

This helps explain how Abraham came to the faith we see shown in him, for he lived with one (for a short time) that had seen the great mercy and power of God.

From Genesis 11:32, most commentators had erroneously dated the brith of Abraham to sixty years later than it actually was.

Commentators dated his birth at around 2008 A.C.A.
(after the creation of Adam).

Yet, in reality, it was in 1948 A.C.A.

The cause of the error was that Abraham’s departure from Haran, at age 75 is recorded near the description of the death of Terah, at 205. Those two events were not that close, as we find in Jasher.

So, the Bible was not wrong,
it was mankind’s misinterpretation of what it said.

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Book of Jasher corrects an error,

one made by archbishop James Ussher.

From Jasher, we learn that Noah and Abraham were contemporaries.
Yet, Ussher had calculated,
using the Bible’s description, that Abraham had been born 60 years later than he had.

Abraham, in Jasher, is seen, while young,
staying with Noah for a time.<snip>​
Well, that would seem to fill a gap there seems to be in the Hebrew writings (both Biblcal and not) as to how Abraham became the possessor of the Hebrew writings.

In the misnomered "Genesis Apocryphon", we see Abram reading from the Book of Enoch to officials from the court of Pharoah. How Abram came into possession of that book has been a question in my mind for some time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The cause of the error was that Abraham’s departure from Haran, at age 75 is recorded near the description of the death of Terah, at 205. Those two events were not that close, as we find in Jasher.

So, the Bible was not wrong,
it was mankind’s misinterpretation of what it said.

Many errors made by men are cleared up easily, by having access to Jasher. Otherwise, the errors can many times be cleared up by diligent research in the Scriptures, even the adding and subtracting ages given, and their times, to come to the correct understandings, such as the actual years Israel was in Egypt and the years they were in bondage there.
Stephen's last speech, spoken from his pure heart, is recorded by Luke as it was, and Stephen gave a time frame for the time Israel was in Egypt, which was error, because of mis-translations by the translators. Stephen believed the time frame was correct because he had read it, but actual adding up of the years and ages in the Torah gives 215 years from entrance to exit, which is only 5 years different from the years Jasher states, plainly, that Israel was in Egypt, which was 210.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, that would seem to fill a gap there seems to be in the Hebrew writings (both Biblcal and not) as to how Abraham became the possessor of the Hebrew writings.

In the misnomered "Genesis Apocryphon", we see Abram reading from the Book of Enoch to officials from the court of Pharoah. How Abram came into possession of that book has been a question in my mind for some time.
In Jasher, Abram was taken to live with Noah and Shem to hide from Nimrod, who wanted him dead, when Abram was ten years old, and remained there to after Babel fell, when he was 49 years old. He had lived in a cave with his mother from infancy to age ten, with Terah supplying the daily needs, so as to hide from Nimrod.
They have some pretty sumptuous cave set ups over there, even in these times.

Living with Noah and Shem, he had quite a while to learn the ways of the LORD, and they remained close friends. Shem was at Isaac's weaning party and at Sarah's funeral.
One thing Jasher explains is how Haran died in the "fires of Chaldees [Casdim]"
Gen 11:28 And Haran died before his father Terah in the land of his nativity, in [the] Ur/owr =fire of the Chaldees.

Gen 15:7 And he said unto him, I [am] the LORD that brought thee out of [the] Ur/fire of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it.

If the translators had access to Jasher, they would have known how Haran "died before his father in the fire of the Chaldees" [and would have given the proper translation], and how Abram was "delivered by YHWH from the "fire of the Chaldees".
Haran's death was Terah's fault, and his own; because he did not believe in YHWH and put his trust in Him, before he was cast into the flame after his father falsely accused him before Nimrod, so as to save his own skin.
Abram was cast into the fire and delivered, without being harmed, after three days, in the "fire of the Chaldees"

Jasher Chapter 12 - The Book of Jasher Published by J.H. Parry & Company 1887
Abram placed in Prison, and is condemned after ten days to be cast into a Fiery Furnace.
His Brother Haran being Falsely Accused is condemned to the same Fate.
As Haran's heart was not right before the Lord, he perished, but Abram is Delivered and is brought forth Alive.
Is Presented with Many Gifts.
The King Dreams of Abram, and again Seeks his Life.
Abram flees to the House of Noah.
Then, after that, Abram talked Terah and his brother, their wives [Haran's daughters -Sarai =Iscah, of Genesis 11:29], and Lot, Haran's son, to Noah and Shem, where they remained for one month, I think it was.

So Sarai is the daughter of Haran, grandaughter of Tereh, and in the Torah, grandaughters are called "daughters" and grandsons are called "sons", many times: so Abram did not lie about Sarai being his "sister", he just did not tell the whole truth. -Laban called Jacob's sons and daughters "my sons and daughters", in Genesis 31:28

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ajax 777

God is the Truth, not an opinion.
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2005
✟117,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was looking for the book of Jasher on Google today and was confused about which one was genuine. Could someone kindly give me a link to the right oneplease. Thanks

If you'd like to read it online you may do so here:

Book of Jasher Online

I know you can purchase it in book form from Amazon.com also.

Upvote 0