Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

no, that is figurative language...

we say the 'sun rose at 6:52 a.m.
and that does not mean that we think
the sun revolves around the earth...

we talk of sunset, sunrise, etc...
because to the visual effect, it does...
but in reality, it is the earth going around the sun...

we, being so 'wise' still speak in figurative
language... God knew, for He created them...
He may spank us for not getting our language
in agreement... or not... LOL

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

no, that is figurative language...

we say the 'sun rose at 6:52 a.m.
and that does not mean that we think
the sun revolves around the earth...

we talk of sunset, sunrise, etc...
because to the visual effect, it does...
but in reality, it is the earth going around the sun...

we, being so 'wise' still speak in figurative
language... God knew, for He created them...
He may spank us for not getting our language
in agreement... or not... LOL

No inspiration coming from El Elyon would be so grossly short-sighted, as if it was written by someone who was encased in the dark ages.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
what does that mean that she was "gathered to her people"?
when saints in the O.T. period died,
their souls went to paradise...
and Jesus when the payment for sin was completed
on the cross, went to paradise, and took 'captivity captive'
and brought them to heaven....
now when we die, we go to heaven...

the ones who died before her were already in paradise,
and she was 'gathered to her people' there...

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by brinny
what does that mean that she was "gathered to her people"?

when saints in the O.T. period died,
their souls went to paradise...
and Jesus when the payment for sin was completed
on the cross, went to paradise, and took 'captivity captive'
and brought them to heaven....
now when we die, we go to heaven...

the ones who died before her were already in paradise,
and she was 'gathered to her people' there...

Where is that written in the Bible? (About "gathered to her people"?)

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You should be getting "filled in" by the Bible as taught and revealed by the Holy Spirit.

Joshua quoted from the book of Jasher,
so did Samuel...
so... they should have gotten filled in with the Bible
too? lol

II Samuel 1:18 refers to Jasher.
"And he (David) bade them to teach the children of Judah to use the bow, behold, it is written in the Book of Jasher."

So, a fact, not in the Bible, is referred to by Samuel...
we can find some details of stories in the Bible,
with some missing facts, that do not disagree with the Bible,
but add to our understanding of it...
Samuel did, Joshua did...
I do too...
don't you?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Joshua quoted from the book of Jasher,
so did Samuel...
so... they should have gotten filled in with the Bible
too? lol

II Samuel 1:18 refers to Jasher.
"And he (David) bade them to teach the children of Judah to use the bow, behold, it is written in the Book of Jasher."

So, a fact, not in the Bible, is referred to by Samuel...
we can find some details of stories in the Bible,
with some missing facts, that do not disagree with the Bible,
but add to our understanding of it...
Samuel did, Joshua did...
I do too...
don't you?

I read the Bible. Any "extras" are just that, and need to be taken with a grain of salt, as with Josephus. Josephus is not the Word of God. Neither is the book of Jasher, which by the way, was named so for its advice on living skills. It is not included as part of the Word of God.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by brinny
Where is that written in the Bible? (About "gathered to her people"?)

it is in Jasher,
but the Bible agrees that all O.T. saints went
to paradise...
did you think she went somewhere else?
or to hell? or where?

Where is it written in the Bible that she was "gathered to her people"?

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I read the Bible. Any "extras" are just that, and need to be taken with a grain of salt, as with Josephus. Josephus is not the Word of God. Neither is the book of Jasher, which by the way, was named so for its advice on living skills. It is not included as part of the Word of God.
it is a history book,
one used by Joshua, Samuel...
so, I find it good company to read a book
that they did...
it does not mean that it is infallible,
but it certainly is very readable,
and good...

don't you read the newspaper?
I can't blame you there...
Joshua and Samuel never put their endorsement
on the error filled, un-Scriptural newspapers...

So you read just the Bible...
well, that is good...
when you get to heaven, you will
probably read more there, for God has more
books in heaven than are in the Bible...
the 'books of life'... are one set...

but till then, the Bible is safe...

I, myself, find the Book of Jasher
that Samuel and Joshua recommended to
be very good...

till I find in the Bible where God scolded them
for it, I will continue... LOL

don't read anything that Joshua did not read...

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
it is a history book,
one used by Joshua, Samuel...
so, I find it good company to read a book
that they did...
it does not mean that it is infallible,
but it certainly is very readable,
and good...

don't you read the newspaper?
I can't blame you there...
Joshua and Samuel never put their endorsement
on the error filled, un-Scriptural newspapers...

So you read just the Bible...
well, that is good...
when you get to heaven, you will
probably read more there, for God has more
books in heaven than are in the Bible...
the 'books of life'... are one set...

but till then, the Bible is safe...

I, myself, find the Book of Jasher
that Samuel and Joshua recommended to
be very good...

till I find in the Bible where God scolded them
for it, I will continue... LOL

don't read anything that Joshua did not read...

I read everything outside the Bible with a grain of salt. The Bible in reading it, is like being literally fed "manna" from heaven spiritually. All else isn't. The Word of God is living and breathing and able to discern thoughts and read the heart. All else isn't.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." ~Hebrews 4:12

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
BOOKS MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE,
BUT NOT IN THE CANON...

Book of Nathan = II Chronicles 9:29

Prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite - II Chron. 9:29

Visions of Iddo the Seer - II Chronicles 9:29

Book of Jehu - II Chronicles 20:34

Apocalypse of Isaiah - II Chron. 26:22, 32:32

Book of Jasher - II Samuel 1:18, Joshua 10:13

Book of Gad - I Chron. 29:29

Book of Shemaiah, the Prophet - II Chron. 12:15

Book of the Wars of the Lord - Numbers 21:14

Book of Enoch - Jude 14-15

Testament of Moses - Jude 9-10​

God did not include these into the canon of our Bible,
but honored them,
by having them mentioned in the books of the canon.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I read everything outside the Bible with a grain of salt. The Bible in reading it, is like being literally fed "manna" from heaven spiritually. All else isn't. The Word of God is living and breathing and able to discern thoughts and read the heart. All else isn't.

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." ~Hebrews 4:12

I love reading and studying the Bible,
have done it for many years,
yes, it is God's written Word...
and it is precious...

He is the Author of the Bible
and all else is tested by the Bible..
the newspaper, the magazines, the history books,
the science books, etc...

I do even test the books that God recommended
in the Bible...
I would not think He recommended them
by His reference and agreement with them,
for us to ignore them totally...

to read the newspaper and say we
don't have time to read a book God recommended
is a bit different...

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
BOOKS MENTIONED IN THE BIBLE,
BUT NOT IN THE CANON...

Book of Nathan = II Chronicles 9:29

Prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite - II Chron. 9:29

Visions of Iddo the Seer - II Chronicles 9:29

Book of Jehu - II Chronicles 20:34

Apocalypse of Isaiah - II Chron. 26:22, 32:32

Book of Jasher - II Samuel 1:18, Joshua 10:13

Book of Gad - I Chron. 29:29

Book of Shemaiah, the Prophet - II Chron. 12:15

Book of the Wars of the Lord - Numbers 21:14

Book of Enoch - Jude 14-15

Testament of Moses - Jude 9-10​

God did not include these into the canon of our Bible,
but honored them,
by having them mentioned in the books of the canon.

There's no "book" of Enoch mentioned.

Upvote 0

murjahel

Senior Veteran
Oct 31, 2005
✟29,367.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Enoch was a great prophet who "walked with God." We first read about him in Genesis 5:18-24.
"And Jared lived 162 years, and he begat Enoch. And Jared lived after he begat Enoch 800 years and he begat sons and daughters. All the days of Jared were 962 and he died. And Enoch lived 65 years and begat Methuselah. And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah, 300 years, and he begat sons and daughters. All the years of Enoch were 365. And Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him."

Then in Hebrews 11:5, the writer speaks of Enoch.
"By faith, Enoch was translated that he should not
see death; and was not found because God had
translated him, for before his translation, he had this testimony...that he pleased God."

The name "Enoch" in Hebrew is "hanokh", which means "consecrated." Certainly Enoch consecrated his life to the Lord.

His life began 65 years before Methuselah was born, and yet he has not died. Enoch was raptured, and taken from this earth alive 69 years before Noah was born.

The book of Jude quotes from the book written by Enoch. (vv.14-15)
"And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these saying, 'Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints. To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of their ungodly deeds, which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which the ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.'"

This "Book of Enoch" was known to the early church.
Not only did Jude quote from it (showing not only his validation of the book, but also that God validated it by including it into the Holy Word); but Origen and Tertullian and others in the early church mentioned this book by name. For many centuries this book of Enoch was read and enjoyed.

Where in the Bible would Jude have gotten that information on what and how Enoch preached ?
It is in the Book of Enoch, which was used by the early church for the first 300 years. In the forming of the Roman Catholic church it was removed, for Jerome and Augustine did not like the story of the fallen angels going in unto women of the earth, and making a race of giants... They could not get the council to vote it was not 'Scripture' though,
so they had them choose between the Book of Enoch and the Book of Revelation, saying the Bible was too big already for both to be in...

Upvote 0

ironsheik7

Jun 24, 2012
✟7,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Only a babe in Christ such as a new believer or a non believer would believe the book of Enoch to be legitimate after reading it. Someone who has read through the entire bible, studied the bible, and is filled with the holy spirit would not be tricked by this unholy book. reasons the book of Enoch is fake is because nowhere in the bible did any prophet ever say the words " Book of Enoch" the prophets did however speak of "The Book of Jasher" and my point in this post is not to get into a discussion on the book of Jasher, but to look at the unbiblical book of Enoch.

As usual this website keeps me from posting links because I must first post 50 times and am also only allowed so many character count per comment. My advice is go into google and type in David J. Stewart book of enoch exposed and read his commentary as he dissects the Satanic book of enoch

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ironsheik7

Jun 24, 2012
✟7,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Enoch was a great prophet who "walked with God." We first read about him in Genesis 5:18-24.
"And Jared lived 162 years, and he begat Enoch. And Jared lived after he begat Enoch 800 years and he begat sons and daughters. All the days of Jared were 962 and he died. And Enoch lived 65 years and begat Methuselah. And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah, 300 years, and he begat sons and daughters. All the years of Enoch were 365. And Enoch walked with God, and he was not, for God took him."

Then in Hebrews 11:5, the writer speaks of Enoch.
"By faith, Enoch was translated that he should not
see death; and was not found because God had
translated him, for before his translation, he had this testimony...that he pleased God."

The name "Enoch" in Hebrew is "hanokh", which means "consecrated." Certainly Enoch consecrated his life to the Lord.

His life began 65 years before Methuselah was born, and yet he has not died. Enoch was raptured, and taken from this earth alive 69 years before Noah was born.

The book of Jude quotes from the book written by Enoch. (vv.14-15)
"And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these saying, 'Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of His saints. To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of their ungodly deeds, which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which the ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.'"

This "Book of Enoch" was known to the early church.
Not only did Jude quote from it (showing not only his validation of the book, but also that God validated it by including it into the Holy Word); but Origen and Tertullian and others in the early church mentioned this book by name. For many centuries this book of Enoch was read and enjoyed.

Where in the Bible would Jude have gotten that information on what and how Enoch preached ?
It is in the Book of Enoch, which was used by the early church for the first 300 years. In the forming of the Roman Catholic church it was removed, for Jerome and Augustine did not like the story of the fallen angels going in unto women of the earth, and making a race of giants... They could not get the council to vote it was not 'Scripture' though,
so they had them choose between the Book of Enoch and the Book of Revelation, saying the Bible was too big already for both to be in...

First off Just because the name Enoch appears in the bible and the name appears in the book of Hebrews doesn't mean he wrote a book called "The Book Of Enoch''. If we go with your theory then if a Book shows up tomorrow called "The Book Of Paul" then it 100% means the apostle Paul wrote the book even if I'm the one who wrote it because his name is in the title. So saying Enoch wrote the book of Enoch because it has his name on it shows how silly and unbiblical your argument actually is.

next you claim the book of Jude directly quotes from "The Book O Enoch" However there is no Biblical record of a "Book of Enoch." There is NO doubt that Enoch made these statements as Jude 1:14 confirms; but that doesn't mean that he authored the entire Book of Enoch (or any of it for that matter). It's a question of who copied who? And remember, the Author of the Bible is GOD; not men... "For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost" (2nd Peter 1:21). To elevate the Book of Enoch to the level of God's Word is dangerous. Many godly men today write good books; but they are still flawed human beings, prone to sin, who aren't always doctrinally correct in every area. It would be a great evil to recognize their writings as EQUAL with God's Word (the Bible). Jesus condemned following the TRADITIONS of men over the commandments of God (Mark 7:6-13). Even king David warned against trusting men rather than God (Psalm 118:8). This is why Seventh-Day Adventists are a false religion, because they elevate the writings of Ellen G. White as EQUAL with the Bible. Scientologists do the same, by elevating the writings of Ron Hubbard as EQUAL with the Bible. Catholics are woefully guilty of elevating the teaching of the Vatican, fabricated over the centuries, as EQUAL with God's Word. Regardless of whether Enoch wrote the Book of Enoch or not, it is abundantly clear to the Biblically-sound believer that it is NOT inspired by God. It is also possible that Enoch's preaching was exploited and deliberately misconstrued after his death. The FACT of the matter is that the Book of Enoch is clearly a watered-down, heretical, manuscript filled with mumbo-jumbo. Unlike the Bible, the Book of Enoch doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

The book of Enoch belongs in the trash can with the Apocrypha and the Quran

Upvote 0

ironsheik7

Jun 24, 2012
✟7,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
To further Illustrate my point go into amazon and type in Ancient Book of Enoch click on the Ancient Book of Enoch by Ken Johnson. A website states the following for a paragraph in selling Mr. Johnsons copy of tyhe Anicent book of Enoch. And I quote

"The Holy Spirit inspired Jude to quote Enoch for a reason. The Ancient Book of Enoch opens by addressing those in the Tribulation period. It contains numerous prophecies about the flood and fire judgments, and the two comings of the Messiah. It teaches that the Messiah is the Son of God and that He will shed His blood to redeem us and even predicts the generation that this would occur! The book of Enoch prophesies a window of time in which the Second Coming would occur and prophesies that there will be twenty-three Israeli Prime Ministers ruling in fifty-eight terms from AD 1948 to the beginning of the Tribulation period, and much more. Even though it prophecies that the Bible would be created and says we will be judged by our obedience to the Bible, it also makes it clear that this book is not to be added to the Canon of Scripture. The Ancient Book of Enoch recounts the history of the angels that fell in the days of Jared, Enoch’s father. It testifies to their marriages with human women and their genetic experiments. This commentary includes a previously unknown chapter from the Dead Sea Scrolls that actually explains how they did their genetic tampering."

Say what ? "
It testifies to their marriages with human women and their genetic experiments."

So now we have 2 choices A. Jesus Christ is a liar and the book of Enoch is authentic B. Jesus Christ told the truth and the book of Enoch is a fraud

Matthew 22:28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.
22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

Jesus Christ says Angels do not Marry, the Book of Enoch says Angels do Marry, so which is it ? Is Jesus Christ a liar or is the book of Enoch a liar ?

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Jesus Christ says Angels do not Marry, the Book of Enoch says Angels do Marry, so which is it ? Is Jesus Christ a liar or is the book of Enoch a liar ?

It was the fallen angels that co-habited with human women. It was a sin and they were judged for it. There is no contradiction.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Wow. A thread I don't remember starting.

It has been resurrected. I have always found the extra biblical books an interesting subject. The Jewish oral tradition fills in a lot of the blanks also.
I think one of the worst things that has happened in the modern church is people thinking that there are only two categories. Total evil or the prefect bible. There is a third category of edifying books and traditions which do not have the status of scripture and yet are anointed and edifying.

Upvote 0