Not open for further replies.

Xristos_Eirini

Sep 11, 2008
✟195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I desire to learn more concerning the Bolshevik Revolution, especially from sources not loyal to the Tsarist regime. While I strongly disagree with the tactics used by Lenin and his supporters, they should be fairly compared to the violence traditional of Russian society itself. Without Peter the Great, could there be Joseph Stalin, or even Vladimir Lenin?

While I strongly disagree with the cult of personality surrounding Marxist revolutionaries, I believe that, just like any human being, they deserve to have the intentions of their actions understood. Were they benign or were they sinister? "Each according to ability for each according to need" is a fundamentally Christian concept, taken from Acts of the Apostles. It fails, however, when one tries to follow it without Christ.

American capitalism, like Bolshevism, operates by violence. The wars in Vietnam and Iraq are glaring examples. Our economy is propped up by our military interventionism. Without it, we wouldn't have the resources to be the world's dominant economy. Furthermore, one should also consider the violent suppression of labor unions, and slavery, which made our economy. Let's not forget the genocide of the American Indians. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Ultimately, I reject Marxism for being unrealistic. Humans are selfish by nature, and therefore, no workers' paradise can exist aside from the workmen of God in Heaven. Karl Marx was right, it is just that he had the wrong species:
http://www.froes.dds.nl/WILSON.htm

I understand that this is an Eastern Orthodox forum, so I have no desire to debate or argue. Are there any books or articles that you would recommend? [FONT=times new roman,times,serif]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,740.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree that “each according to ability for each according to need” is a Christian idea, but I think it implies voluntary consent in order to be virtuous and right. Giving cheerfully from your wages to help those in need is a Christian act of the giver. Having your wages taken from you through no choice of your own for the same purpose is not.

As for comparing communists’ uses of violence with America’s, it reminds me of something William F. Buckley, Jr. said about comparisons between the KGB with the CIA: “Men who go around pushing little old ladies in front of oncoming buses, and men who go around pushing little old ladies out of the way of oncoming buses, should not be lumped together as men who go around pushing little old ladies.”

Upvote 0

Xristos_Eirini

Sep 11, 2008
✟195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree that “each according to ability for each according to need” is a Christian idea, but I think it implies voluntary consent in order to be virtuous and right.

All governments exist by involuntary taxation, which requires the use of force. Is it better for taxes to be used for the people's interests or for the elite's interests? Lenin wasn't against the right to property. What he opposed is unearned property, and the giving to a worker less than what his labor is worth.

As for comparing communists’ uses of violence with America’s, it reminds me of something William F. Buckley, Jr. said about comparisons between the KGB with the CIA: “Men who go around pushing little old ladies in front of oncoming buses, and men who go around pushing little old ladies out of the way of oncoming buses, should not be lumped together as men who go around pushing little old ladies.”

Your quote appears to obscure the meaning of this question: What difference does it make if the results are the same? Do you compare slavery and genocide to saving an old lady from a moving bus?

Since I do not wish to debate, this is all I will say in response. Is there a book or article about the Russian Revolution that you recommend?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrew21091

Jun 21, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
✟17,221.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
While I strongly disagree with the cult of personality surrounding Marxist revolutionaries, I believe that, just like any human being, they deserve to have the intentions of their actions understood. Were they benign or were they sinister?

The Revolution was an evil that was brought on the Russian people. Their intensions were to wipe out all religion and replace God with the state. I Their acts were very sinister since they executed and tortured millions of Christians.

Here are a few books on the lives of the New Martyrs of Russia:

http://www.easternchristiansupply.biz/products.cgi/c120/c14/c24087/56799
http://www.easternchristiansupply.biz/products.cgi/c120/c14/c24087/42189

Few web sites:

http://www.allsaintsofamerica.org/martyrs/nmruss.html
http://www.orthodox.net/russiannm/index.html

Ultimately, I reject Marxism for being unrealistic.

It should also be rejected as being an evil philosophy because it was that philosophy that sent innocent people to their deaths.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.