United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Read it in a textbook did you?
Meanwhile in the real world science is messy.
it doesnt follow your 8th grade textbook,
I have a research degree from Florida Tech which is ranked as a Tier One University.
it May start with an observation , an anomaly in data , an extrapolation from the existing model.
Or just a blue sky “what if “ question. What happens if I heat this?
If you heated it your questions, data and observation, etc. would include heating. Similarly for evaporation or blue skies, or other messy things. Then you are all set to make predictions that include the heating, or the extrapolations or the blue sky. The method is not the process, it is simply the blueprint.
multiple types of entry point, various types of process, the formalisation of the question is a movable feast, as is refining the process.

or like the Neanderthals , just trial and error, does this work better to do this?

If you believe the scientific method is easy then try it.
  • Define a Question to Investigate. As scientists conduct their research, they make observations and collect data. ...
  • Make Predictions. Based on their research and observations, scientists will often come up with a hypothesis. ...
  • Gather Data. ...
  • Analyze the Data. ...
  • Draw Conclusions.
If you would like to discuss how easy or difficult and learn more from active and retired scientists and other knowledgeable professionals I recommend Peaceful Science. Alternately you could also ask AI chat to take you through the process which you would be able to define with as many variables as you'd like.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have a research degree from Florida Tech which is ranked as a Tier One University.

If you heated it your questions, data and observation, etc. would include heating. Similarly for evaporation or blue skies, or other messy things. Then you are all set to make predictions that include the heating, or the extrapolations or the blue sky. The method is not the process, it is simply the blueprint.

If you believe the scientific method is easy then try it.
  • Define a Question to Investigate. As scientists conduct their research, they make observations and collect data. ...
  • Make Predictions. Based on their research and observations, scientists will often come up with a hypothesis. ...
  • Gather Data. ...
  • Analyze the Data. ...
  • Draw Conclusions.
If you would like to discuss how easy or difficult and learn more from active and retired scientists and other knowledgeable professionals I recommend Peaceful Science. Alternately you could also ask AI chat to take you through the process which you would be able to define with as many variables as you'd like.
I’m just telling You from actual experience that the over simplistic , idealised, post rationalised scientific process , is not the actual reality which is far messier. The start points are of multiple types, the journey far less direct if it ever reaches a destination.
AI chat is not an indepebdent source of information but an aggregator of other sources.

It fascinatws me that you recommend others go to peaceful science.
Not here.
Why do you not take your own advice? I am Genuinely interested.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’m just telling You from actual experience that the over simplistic , idealised, post rationalised scientific process , is not the actual reality which is far messier. The start points are of multiple types, the journey far less direct if it ever reaches a destination.
You continue to display a naive understanding of rudimentary science.
AI chat is not an indepebdent source of information but an aggregator of other sources.
AI is a valuable source for learning whether your understanding is elementary, expert or in between. It is also excellent for self-improvement. One of my hobbies is poetry writing and I am using AI to improve my style. I don't expect to publish but I do like to write poems for my friends for special occasions or to celebrate.
Not here.
I often share (its in my nature) quality websites with others. Yesterday, I shared a top rated financial site (Naked Capitalism) with a colleague and this morning got an appreciative email you email letting me how much she enjoyed it. NC is not just about finance, it often has human interest articles. We are both cat lovers and there was an article on cats which she loved.
You are welcome to go to Peaceful Science and look up my comments, contributions, badges, likes, etc. Just put my name in the search on the top right.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You continue to display a naive understanding of rudimentary science.

AI is a valuable source for learning whether your understanding is elementary, expert or in between. It is also excellent for self-improvement. One of my hobbies is poetry writing and I am using AI to improve my style. I don't expect to publish but I do like to write poems for my friends for special occasions or to celebrate.

I often share (its in my nature) quality websites with others. Yesterday, I shared a top rated financial site (Naked Capitalism) with a colleague and this morning got an appreciative email you email letting me how much she enjoyed it. NC is not just about finance, it often has human interest articles. We are both cat lovers and there was an article on cats which she loved.

You are welcome to go to Peaceful Science and look up my comments, contributions, badges, likes, etc. Just put my name in the search on the top right.
You wouldn’t know how good my science is - you are not a scientist, you betray it with every post
My views on science come from doing it, not reading it out of 8th grade books as illustrated by your naieve dressed up view of how science functions which is actually messy.

Science often starts with observation “ that didnt do what I expected “ . One of the first battles is to detetmine whether the Discrepancy was real or not and Trying to see if there’s a pattern in when or whether it does or not, or whether the aberration was a statistical freak, not causal anomaly. ( of course in Quantum world the two questions become philosophically hard ) long before any ideas attempts at “ why” It starts with observation.

You illustrate a problem of the web however. You share things that sound good to you and some of the listeners.
Alas that is not a barometer of truth - much garbage is shared.

but why don’t you take your own advice and post mostly on peaceful science? I am genuinely interested?
you clearly prefer posting here Judging by volume.

I won’t , because of the pompous self serving nonsense with which the site is introduced
They seem to have a very poor sense of their own history.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You wouldn’t know how good my science is - you are not a scientist, you betray it with every post
My views on science come from doing it, not reading it out of 8th grade books as illustrated by your naieve dressed up view of how science functions which is actually messy.
Science often starts with observation “ that didnt do what I expected “ . One of the first battles is to detetmine whether the Discrepancy was real or not and Trying to see if there’s a pattern in when or whether it does or not, or whether the aberration was a statistical freak, not causal anomaly. ( of course in Quantum world the two questions become philosophically hard ) long before any ideas attempts at “ why” It starts with observation.

You illustrate a problem of the web however. You share things that sound good to you and some of the listeners.
Alas that is not a barometer of truth - much garbage is shared.

but why don’t you take your own advice and post mostly on peaceful science? I am genuinely interested?
you clearly prefer posting here Judging by volume.

I won’t , because of the pompous self serving nonsense with which the site is introduced
They seem to have a very poor sense of their own history.
You are entitled to your opinion and I to mine

You have a great gift, my friend,​
For finding fault with everyone.​
You can pick holes in anything,​
And find the flaws in every one.​
You are never satisfied,​
No matter what is done or said.​
You are always finding fault,​
And never offering any help instead.​
You are a critic,​
But you are not a friend.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Not here.
I am flattered but we need to stop meeting this way,​
This is not how I want to start my day,​
I know you think it's exciting and all,​
But it's really not, it's not at all.​

• Friendly
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0