Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Correct the Bible is totally accurate. Very precise. God is a God of precision.
I mistyped. My comment should have read "totally inaccurate"

I don't find the bible accurate because there are there thousands of Christian denominations with almost as many conflicting views on how the bible should be interpreted. Contrast that with the wisdom of The Tao Te Ching with its 81 Verses by Lao Tzu. While there are differences in interpretations there are only two main branches Quanzhen Taoism and Zhengyi Taoism

I don't disrespect any ones religious beliefs, I am only stating my personal views on why I do not find the religious "holy books" as compelling evidence for a deity.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I don't find the bible accurate because there are there thousands of Christian denominations with almost as many conflicting views on how the bible should be interpreted.
You need to listen to what you are saying. I agree that there is a problem with interpretation. That does not mean the Bible is not 100% accurate. No one has ever given me evidence to show the Bible is not true. But most everyone has interpretation problems. That is why I use science in my approach to understanding the Bible. Although that means having to deal with a lot of possibilities that we cannot know for sure. To disprove the Bible you have to show the Bible is not possible and no one is able to do that.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No one is claiming that a book about a dysfunctional nomadic tribe is totally inaccurate. For myself I find the wisdom in the TAO a better practical, useful guide to living life.

In case you don't know it, that "dysfunctional nomadic tribe" is JEHOVAH's wife.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't find the bible accurate because there are there thousands of Christian denominations with almost as many conflicting views on how the bible should be interpreted.

No there isn't.

There are only four:
  1. literal
  2. moral
  3. allegorical
  4. anagogical

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You need to listen to what you are saying. I agree that there is a problem with interpretation. That does not mean the Bible is not 100% accurate.

:oldthumbsup:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.

If ten people believe that wall was the Great Wall of China, and ten people believe that wall was the Berlin Wall, I wonder if Frank would believe Lewis Carroll ever existed.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No there isn't.

There are only four:
  1. literal
  2. moral
  3. allegorical
  4. anagogical
Those are the major categories. Each has multiple subdivisions.

This article will provide some reasons behind the various interpretations of the Bible.

• The Bible has been translated into several languages over the years. Some books in the Bible have never been completed or parts of it were never found. These discrepancies and translation nuances have paved the way for the different interpretations of the Bible. Take note that the slightest change in the use of a word or in constructing a sentence might change its entire meaning.​
• The Bible was originally written for the Jews. Therefore, everything was patterned after their culture and way of life. It also includes the different scenarios during their time. There were no direct examples taken from modern context. However, based on how people have lived in the past, ideas on how life at the present should be lived, may be taken.​
• Biblical interpretations are a product of human logic and understanding. Authors of the Bible are no longer around these days to fully explain what they meant by every word that they have written. We can only interpret their words based on the way the stories were written. Therefore, it becomes open to so many interpretations and “logical” explanations.​
• Every book in the Bible belongs to a specific genre. There are parables, prophesies, biographies, proverbs and more. The problem with some people is that they think every word in the Bible is prophetic in nature. Therefore, they interpret it in a wrong approach.​
• There are those who are simply closed-minded. They are not open to any interpretation given by other people. This is why they have made their own version. They interpreted the Bible in their own ways and understanding.​
It is important to remember that there is no monopoly of truth especially if these “truths” were created by humans. Therefore, if the Bible is open to different interpretations, it is just fine. Just make sure that you get something positive out of these interpretations. Pick up the most important values that can be learned out of Jesus’ life, stories, and teachings.​

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You need to listen to what you are saying. I agree that there is a problem with interpretation. That does not mean the Bible is not 100% accurate. No one has ever given me evidence to show the Bible is not true. But most everyone has interpretation problems. That is why I use science in my approach to understanding the Bible. Although that means having to deal with a lot of possibilities that we cannot know for sure. To disprove the Bible you have to show the Bible is not possible and no one is able to do that.
You are entitled to your beliefs and opinions and I am entitled to mine.
:oldthumbsup:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.

If ten people believe that wall was the Great Wall of China, and ten people believe that wall was the Berlin Wall, I wonder if Frank would believe Lewis Carroll ever existed.
Why would I doubt the evidence that Carroll existed or of the great wall of China or the Berlin Wall? If someone were not aware of them, an internet search takes less than a minute.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just make sure that you get something positive out of these interpretations. Pick up the most important values that can be learned out of Jesus’ life, stories, and teachings.

And you do the same, sir.

Not one of your reasons mentions Satan.

And Jesus spoke extensively on Satan.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why would I doubt the evidence that Carroll existed or of the great wall of China or the Berlin Wall?

I said why.

It's the same reason you doubt God's existence.

"Thousands" of ways people interpret the Bible -- (even though there are only four, but academia moves the decimal point as necessary) ...

Anyway thousands [sic] of ways people interpret the Bible, apparently leads you to doubt the existence of God.

Yet those who disagree what wall Humpty Dumpty sat on doesn't mean anything.

What gives here?

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And you do the same, sir.

Not one of your reasons mentions Satan.

And Jesus spoke extensively on Satan.
Belief in the supernatural is not evidence for the supernatural
I said why.

It's the same reason you doubt God's existence.
You are confusing doubt with unknowable. As an agnostic I don't believe it is possible to know anything about God(s) or the supernatural.
"Thousands" of ways people interpret the Bible -- (even though there are only four, but academia moves the decimal point as necessary) ...
You are ignoring the article and list I linked to. I don't doubt that religion beliefs can provide meaning to life and serve a positive purpose for some whether it is Christianity, Hinduism, Taoism or some other religion. My pick for the best NT verses are the corporal works of mercy.
Anyway thousands [sic] of ways people interpret the Bible, apparently leads you to doubt the existence of God.
See above.
Yet those who disagree what wall Humpty Dumpty sat on doesn't mean anything.

What gives here?
I speak only for myself not for others. I do not advocate anyone leave or change their religion.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟71,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Please explain.
I told about a dream when I was a child, where God took me to the center of the universe and showed me that the universe was expanding but eventually would shrink, contract or collapse. Then later on I went through a time in my life when I denied God. Many people claim they were Christian at one time, yet that does not stop them from turning away. Over the years sometimes I find it takes two or three years after I am long gone from their lives when they do a shift and come back to God. I know I have been through times in my life when I was as hard-headed as they are. But I needed God and I think we all need Him to be there for us in our time of need.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,624.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
I told about a dream when I was a child, where God took me to the center of the universe and showed me that the universe was expanding but eventually would shrink, contract or collapse. Then later on I went through a time in my life when I denied God. Many people claim they were Christian at one time, yet that does not stop them from turning away. Over the years sometimes I find it takes two or three years after I am long gone from their lives when they do a shift and come back to God. I know I have been through times in my life when I was as hard-headed as they are. But I needed God and I think we all need Him to be there for us in our time of need.
That's your story, thanks. What was asking for explanation was your statement that "I think everyone does no God at one time or another in their life." So I ask again...how so? I kind of wonder if perhaps your projecting.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,002.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
However, it's important to note that the development of agriculture during this time was not driven by a formal scientific method, but rather by a practical need to produce enough food to sustain growing populations."
I think you very likely have it backwards. It was the availability of comparatively reliable food sources from agriculture that enabled the increase in populations, not the other way round.

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You have described the Neolithic Revolution as a time of trial and error.

Here are the five steps of the Scientific Method
  • Define a Question to Investigate. As scientists conduct their research, they make observations and collect data. ...
  • Make Predictions. Based on their research and observations, scientists will often come up with a hypothesis. ...
  • Gather Data. ...
  • Analyze the Data. ...
  • Draw Conclusions.
Read it in a textbook did you?
Meanwhile in the real world science is messy.
it doesnt follow your 8th grade textbook,

it May start with an observation , an anomaly in data , an extrapolation from the existing model.
Or just a blue sky “what if “ question. What happens if I heat this?

multiple types of entry point, various types of process, the formalisation of the question is a movable feast, as is refining the process.

or like the Neanderthals , just trial and error, does this work better to do this?

Upvote 0