bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Been studying Hebrews to teach an adult class and was taken back by the number of references to sacrificial blood, which got me thinking.

Each week we partake of the Lord’s Supper (bread representing the body and the wine representing the blood) all in remembrance of what Christ did by/with/on the cross.

Since there are two memorials actions we go through are there two separate actions of Christ, we are trying to bring to memory?

Would it have to do with the fact that Christ body hung on the cross once for all times bring to mind the atonement sacrifice and the blood continuously is flowing over us washing/cleansing us of sin?

Going back to the Old Law the blood was not offered up in the burnt offering, but was used to outwardly cleanse everything, so how did the Jews of old view the Lamb on the altar compared to the blood shed from the lamb?

Do you feel Christ’s blood flowing over you cleansing you?

The fact that we drink the wine representing Christ’s blood, does that mean we are being cleansed internally (our hearts)?

What literally happened to the physical blood of Christ are there remains at the foot of the cross in Jerusalem?

Does that blood still drip in heave on the Mercy Seat?

Did God need/want that blood to be taken from the body of Christ to satisfy God, or do we need that blood outside of Christ’s body flowing over us?

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think anyone who doesn't view the eucharist as simply 'thinking fondly' of Christ will be able to participate in your thread. Just like the wise thief on the cross asked Christ to remember him in His kingdom- Christ made it literal. The body and blood of Christ is a literal thing and is not simply a memorial. If it were only a remembrance, we wouldn't be told to physically do anything at all.

I think you didn't take into account that a lot of people around here don't share your assumptions.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Been studying Hebrews to teach an adult class and was taken back by the number of references to sacrificial blood, which got me thinking.

Each week we partake of the Lord’s Supper (bread representing the body and the wine representing the blood) all in remembrance of what Christ did by/with/on the cross.

Since there are two memorials actions we go through are there two separate actions of Christ, we are trying to bring to memory?

Would it have to do with the fact that Christ body hung on the cross once for all times bring to mind the atonement sacrifice and the blood continuously is flowing over us washing/cleansing us of sin?

Going back to the Old Law the blood was not offered up in the burnt offering, but was used to outwardly cleanse everything, so how did the Jews of old view the Lamb on the altar compared to the blood shed from the lamb?

Do you feel Christ’s blood flowing over you cleansing you?

The fact that we drink the wine representing Christ’s blood, does that mean we are being cleansed internally (our hearts)?

What literally happened to the physical blood of Christ are there remains at the foot of the cross in Jerusalem?

Does that blood still drip in heave on the Mercy Seat?

Did God need/want that blood to be taken from the body of Christ to satisfy God, or do we need that blood outside of Christ’s body flowing over us?

We are not cleansed and redeemed by blood letting. The blood, in this context, always refers to the violent death of Christ upon the cross. Had Jesus shed His blood and not died, such would not have been sufficient for redemption.

Upvote 0