wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are you kidding me? Are you telling me that between Bull Conner, Jim Crow, and the Klu Klux Klan, you cannot think of any reason that blacks were worse 50 years ago than today? I think it was Bill Cosby who said it best when he said "For us Black people, we never had a good ole days!" Let me put it this way; yesterdays problems were what racist white people were doing; Today’s problems are mostly what black people are doing to themselves. It is much easier to change your own behavior than somebody else’s

Ken

Well then you must have misread everything before commenting, because the person I was debating with was claiming black people had it much better 50 yrs ago than today. I was refuting that claim.

K

I replied to your quote, offering a brief introduction regarding current racism and microagressions, for the following reason. You stated black people's problems are mainly what they bring upon themselves. I disagree with your statement.

Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
People do not become racist via their job discription; (Today he is a racist because he is a cop, yesterday he was unemployed so he was not a racist) people become racist because what they believe. Grab a dictionary and look up the definition of the word if you don't believe me. Do you really believe black policemen involved in "stop and frisk" are racist against themselves?

K

Have you taken Sociology 101? 214? 365? 515? 630?(graduate level) 898?

It doesn't sound like you have. That is why I said I am not responding to you anymore (a statement I broke.) You are looking through a veneer of anthropology. Black people are people, too. Anthropological analysis of Black people in America is quite ignorant - and I don't think you realize that is what you are doing. That is why I said I will not respond to you anymore (and, I broke that vow.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That is incorrect sociologically. If someone calls me a "**gger," they are not racist, because the sole act of them calling me a **gger does not affect my financial, legislative, economic or executive progress. Those people would be bigots, ignorant, or prejudiced.

I thought that was the difference between being racially prejudiced and being a beneficiary and supporter of institutionalized racism? I could be wrong, but I believe that sociologically, the person who calls you the N-word would be racist because that is in line with the racial prejudice in society.

Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I thought that was the difference between being racist and being a beneficiary and supporter of institutionalized racism? I could be wrong...

I don't know where you are going with this (honestly.)

What I am saying is that some common white person calling a black person a **gger isn't racist, it is prejudice. This is because that "common white person" has no power to cause the black person harm politically, economically, legislatively, or exectutively.

Now, if a police officer called a person calls me a **gger, and substantiates it with planting drugs/beatings - that is racist. If a police officer profiles, plants "evidence," hunts and harasses a Latino person based on his/her prejudice - that is racism. Police officer = civil power.

The sociological distinction between racism and prejudice, bigotry and ignorance is about power.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don't know where you are going with this (honestly.)

What I am saying is that some common white person calling a black person a **gger isn't racist, it is prejudice. This is because that "common white person" has no power to cause the black person harm politically, economically, legislatively, or exectutively.

Now, if a police officer called a person calls me a **gger, and substantiates it with planting drugs/beatings - that is racist. If a police officer profiles, plants "evidence," hunts and harasses a Latino person based on his/her prejudice - that is racism. Police officer = civil power.

The sociological distinction between racism and prejudice, bigotry and ignorance is about power.
The "common white person" still has white privilege and therefore more of an ability to take advantage of the power structure and use it in his or her favor. I've never heard a sociological definition of racism that says only a person with an institutional title can be racist. If it went against the power structure, then it would simply be prejudice because there's no institutional power behind the statement. The whole point is that in a racist society, everyone who belongs to the race at the top holds this power over the other races. The "power" that defines racism is not limited to those who get a paycheck from the government.

Upvote 0

intojoy

Jun 26, 2013
✟2,069.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lollerskates said:
Racism is not the correct word. Racism implies power to substantiate your prejudice and bigotry. I wish people would truly understand this (and, this comment was not a dig at you.)

Human beings are prejudiced, period. We have the luxury of pre-judging everything. Humans are not inherently "racist," because the power to substantiate our prejudices isn't afforded to every single human in every single situation. There is a lot of energy needed that causes one to be "racist," and you need the right ingredients. For example, a Japanese person can be racist toward a Chinese person in Japan. An Australian person can be racist toward aboriginals in Australia. A British person can be racist toward an Indian in the U.K. Why? It is about power and control.

It goes much deeper than which race will be the majority, and how it will affect said "race."

Ok but I've gotten into fights with bruthas before and for some reason the n word comes out. Then if its a white the term haole comes up. I know this is based on a stereotyping of those racial groups. I thought I was, I know I was being racist then. I like to think I'm mature enough to not get those wicked emotions now that I'm 47. Not gonna happen. Because its a spiritual deficiency in all of us that can't be cured by men. Even Moses's sister was cursed with leprosy for criticizing his marriage to a black woman. People need The Lord. Politicians will never solve racism or what ever you'd like to call it. God bless you brother

Even tho u might be haole :)

Upvote 0

elephunky

Previously known as dgirl1986
Nov 28, 2007
Perth, Western Australia
✟14,441.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
"Help fix the black Americans"..I didn't even know they were broken.
Please expound on that .

Black Americans don't need fixing IMO. It is more to do with teh culture of certain areas where some black americans reside.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Have you taken Sociology 101? 214? 365? 515? 630?(graduate level) 898?

It doesn't sound like you have. That is why I said I am not responding to you anymore (a statement I broke.) You are looking through a veneer of anthropology. Black people are people, too. Anthropological analysis of Black people in America is quite ignorant - and I don't think you realize that is what you are doing. That is why I said I will not respond to you anymore (and, I broke that vow.)
If you disagree with anything I've said, state your disagreement and quit making accusations against me. If you wish to quit responding to me and run away with your tail between your legs...... I totally understand.

K

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I replied to your quote, offering a brief introduction regarding current racism and microagressions, for the following reason. You stated black people's problems are mainly what they bring upon themselves. I disagree with your statement.
Do you believe Black people were better off 50 years ago than today?

Ken

Upvote 0

wintermile

Bioconservative
May 9, 2011
✟9,222.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you believe Black people were better off 50 years ago than today?

Ken

Institutional racism in the South Bronx took place in the 70s. NYPDs Stop-and-Frisk is current. Zeidman in his work Whither The Criminal Court: Confronting Stops And Frisks does not give proponents of Stop-and-Frisk leg room. Good for Zeidman to object to males being stopped and frisked (where 90 percent of blacks and Latinos were innocent in 2012). Bad for the NYPD to harass Black and Latino males; some of whom report being stopped 5 times a month. Microaggressions in schools are being studied. Discrimination is being reported. There are more examples to provide because the cycles of oppression are still in effect. Too many individuals expect everyone to act white. Better to behave with purpose, esteem and solid compassion.

When I am around another individual whose character reveals invested direction with compassion as a basis, I benefit from that kind of quality some are born with.

The maker of SHE adventure is not segregated any more than I am. Neither is my black superior. The children in my community do not have to go to the white's only library and stand up for their right to the resources in the funded public library. Friends are not exposed to attack dogs, the threat of death or being falsely accused. Those I know are respected.

Still verbal, psychological and physical abuse occur. Racism, discrimination, racial profiling, these factors are forwarded and funded.

The racists have to contend with the social justice marchers. Hip-hop pedagogy and other prime pedagogies bring about student-teacher relationships that challenge each other. Health professionals are committed to social justice and are becoming more available. Communities respond and build up communities. And Hip-hop representatives are seeking political positions. One thing though, social justice activists are aware of the types of personal, structural and cultural oppression observed in these times.

Black individuals were persecuted years ago--40 years ago. Some of those persecutors are still alive today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
1. Sexual activity should only in monogamous opposite sex marriage between two Christians.

(emph added)

I'd like to see someone try and regulate that :p

Nice shot at trying to keep down the numbers of other religious groups though, haha.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Institutional racism in the South Bronx took place in the 70s. NYPDs......blaa, blaa, bla...... Microaggressions in schools are being studied. Discrimination.......snore, snore....The racists have to contend with the social justice...Blaa, blaa, blaa...40 years ago. Some of those persecutors are still alive today.
Humm... let me guess, you aren't gonna answer my question are you?

Ken

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As in saying that it's not ok to have kids when you're a teen, or to walk out on your kids.

Holy [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]! Do you have any sources that blacks do this at a significantly greater rate than any other ethnicity, or are you just pulling this bigoted comments out of your racist backside?!

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Black people just so happen to experience certain social problems at a higher level than the general population.

How to fix these problems

1. Sexual activity should only in monogamous opposite sex marriage between two Christians.

2. There should be no separation or divorce.

3. People can budget their money better.

This will virtually eliminate the problems of fatherless and poverty.

And they lived happily ever after?

Upvote 0

Mystman

Atheist with a Reason
Jun 24, 2005
✟22,286.00
Faith
Atheist
Holy [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]! Do you have any sources that blacks do this at a significantly greater rate than any other ethnicity, or are you just pulling this bigoted comments out of your racist backside?!

From some really quick googling (possibility for errors, but government sources should be trustworthy..):
Teen Pregnancy rates:
http://www.cdc.gov/TeenPregnancy/PDF/TP-Rates_11-2012.pdf

2-3X as low for white teens, compared to black/hispanic teens.

Single parents:
America’s Families and Living Arrangements: 2011 - People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau
table fg10:
3x as low for white families, compared to black families

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And what exactly are you suggesting is the problem?
The problem is 3/4 of black children born out of wedlock; something the community leaders overlook as a problem, a culture that glamorizes "thug life" and illegal drug use, while often villifying kids who get good grades in school or those who do attempt to suceed within the system as "acting white", entertainers who often make songs and videos that disrespect black women, while trying to put a positive spin on the "N-word" (I would love to see community leaders ban together and boycott some of these gangsta rap videos and villify the artists that promote such attitudes)
There are many other problems, but that is enough for now.

K

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Black people just so happen to experience certain social problems at a higher level than the general population.

How to fix these problems

2. There should be no separation or divorce.

3. People can budget their money better.

This will virtually eliminate the problems of fatherless and poverty.
You can't be serious! Do you have any suggestions that might actually work in the real world?

Ken

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes I do.

1. People should be promiscuous as possible, and only homosexual polygamous marriages should be allowed.

2. Every marriage must be required to end in a divorce within 10 years.

3. People should spend all of their money and go into debt so deep, the government has to bail them out.

Do those sound better to you?
Those sound worse than your previous suggestions that only Christians should be allowed to get married! Try again.

K

Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The "common white person" still has white privilege and therefore more of an ability to take advantage of the power structure and use it in his or her favor. I've never heard a sociological definition of racism that says only a person with an institutional title can be racist. If it went against the power structure, then it would simply be prejudice because there's no institutional power behind the statement. The whole point is that in a racist society, everyone who belongs to the race at the top holds this power over the other races. The "power" that defines racism is not limited to those who get a paycheck from the government.

I'm not saying someone with an institutional title is the only way to be racist. I am saying those people are categorically racist if they use their power to substantiate their prejudice for other races. Sociologically, that makes you racist. Now, colloquial, communal, and pedestrian racism have a spectrum of applications. I could personally care less about those types of racism - as in, I don't see it more than prejudice, bigotry, ignorance and possible lack of intelligence. It is very ignorant, for example, for people to flail arms because they think black people that use the "n-word" are unfairly "saving" the abilitity to use it for themselves, and how white "cannot" use the word is somehow wrong. It is ignorant because the very argument chooses to ignore what the origin of that word was, how it was used as a weapon, and who used that word to demean black people. It would be like a man arguing that him not being able to call a girl a "female dog" is wrong, but she and her girlfriends use it all the time with each other.

To me, the reason why there are so many specific words for race relations highlights the complexities of the issue as a whole. To paint everyone who behaves/converses ignorantly, prejudiced, or bigoted - and is part of the "race in power" - as a racist. It is highly dismissive, and blanketed to say, so much so that everyone calls each other a racist (White to Black, Black to Latino, Latino to Black, Asian to Latino, etc.) If sociological stipulations aren't applied, the word loses the real deep-rooted hurtful and damaging meaning - its original meaning.

Upvote 0