Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
O'Reilly near the beginning said that 'many black Americas harbour some resentment for past injuries'. That just sounds to me as an attempt to dismiss the feelings that Obama expressed. Obama was talking about how black are currently followed, and so that can affect how black people interpret the actions of others.

Why are hoodies what criminals wear? Everyone wears hoodies now, from criminals to church youth groups, including leaders.

O'Reilly goes on to say that it isn't poor education and lack of jobs, but rather the breakdown of black families that means black people tend to commit more crime.

I don't know how much each contributes, but I would think each does to some extent. I don't know if having just one parent can be blamed in itself. There are obviously people who live with just one parent who turn out just like everyone else. There are probably other factors to consider too.

Addiction should be treated as a medical problem, not a crime. Addiction in itself isn't a problem (caffeine is legal). The problem comes with not being able to pay for the addiction, and whether someone can consent to the harm that comes from addiction. I don't know enough about the addictive drugs to say much about that though.

I agree with being against teen pregnancy, and there is nothing wrong with school uniforms. It should be targeted at all people though, not just black people.

Yeah, something should probably be done, but I don't trust that O'Reilly has the answer. :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
He's talking about when people wear hoodies on at night and cover their faces, it gives people the impression that they're gonna commit a crime. It's been ingrained in our minds by the media and movies that hooded=crime. They're the ones always showing these stereotypes, and it's worked. The rap music, glorifying crime, telling teens to go shoot other teens, and the black woman feminism "I don't need a man in my life. I can handle my own problems and take care of my kids on my own. (bad word) these relationships. Single life is the best"(I've seen these kinds of women before).

I singled out black kids because they're the highest out of all of them to be in single parent households. Also because crime is disproportionately committed by black Americans. They constitute about 12.6% of the population but commit nearly 75% of violent crime 75% of violent crime(NYTimes).

Children in single-parent families by race | KIDS COUNT Data Center

And here's some interesting facts about kids that grow up in single parent households.

Statistics on Father Absence : National Fatherhood Initaitive

Yes, school uniforms does seem like a good idea. I'm normally against it, since I like to wear whatever I want :D, but a lot of people just dress really inappropriately sometimes. They sag their pants down and their underwear shows, or some girls have too much cleavage open(This applied to all groups, not just black kids).

When we first immigrated here, I'll admit, we grew up poor, but I had both parents around. My parents only split up when I turned 16, but by that time, we've already moved out of the bad area and I was always taught by my mother and father to stay out of trouble

Another problem is all the black-on-black crime. Every year, around 7000 black Americans are murdered, and 94% of murdered by other black Americans. Black Americans account for homicide victims. (Source: CSN/many other sources).

Drug arrests: Black American men are nearly 12 times higher to be arrested for drug possession than white American men(Source: NYTimes).

So many of them are being murdered, and many are imprisoned, which takes the father out of the child's life, and having them grow out without a father. This creates more of a chance of crime in this country.

And this is off topic, but I found something similar about black men in Britain which is shocking. What kind of a culture do black men in the UK have compared to black in in the US?

Police statistics shed fresh light on link between crime and race - Telegraph

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
As in saying that it's not ok to have kids when you're a teen, or to walk out on your kids.

Someone should have told this to my white parents. Collectively, they've walked out on four children so far, including me. Two of us were conceived while they were teenagers.

And, unfortunately, I know many other white children who live in single family homes because either their mother or father ditched them and ran.

This is not something unique to one race, at ALL.

Upvote 0

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Someone should have told this to my white parents. Collectively, they've walked out on four children so far, including me. Two of us were conceived while they were teenagers.

And, unfortunately, I know many other white children who live in single family homes because either their mother or father ditched them and ran.

This is not something unique to one race, at ALL.

Never said it was unique to them only.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
"Help fix the black Americans"..I didn't even know they were broken.
Please expound on that .

As in saying that it's not ok to have kids when you're a teen, or to walk out on your kids.

Never said it was unique to them only.

Maybe you didn't say it was uniquely the problem of the black community, but it seems strange that you view "fixing" black Americans as telling them not to have kids as teens or walk out on them.

Y'know, without addressing the fact that this occurs to people of other races. A lot. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Telling them not to get pregnant as teens or walking out on their kids seems like a very reasonable start don't you think?

Or we can ignore the problem, and let generation after generation grow up in poverty, and just shoot each other.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Telling them not to get pregnant as teens or walking out on their kids seems like a very reasonable start don't you think?
This may be good advice or not.
In any case, the quality of the advice does not depend on the skin colour of the person.

Upvote 0

Notedstrangeperson

Jul 3, 2008
✟12,024.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think what I_Eat_Pie is trying to say (in a ham-fisted sort of way :p) is that black people in the US are more likely to face social problems than other races / ethnic groups:
  • Black children are more likely to live in a single-parent household
  • Young black men more likely to be murdered (often by other young black men, sadly)
  • Black people are more likely to be diagnosed with mental health problems
  • Black households, on average, make the least amount of money
  • Black people are less likely to complete school or have a college degree
ST_13.05.02_SS_gunCrimes_05_race-600x365.png

As you can see, black people make up less than 13% of the population, yet over 54% of the victims of gun violence are black. Yes, these problems do affect everyone - but they affect black people the most.

So should we do anything about it? Can we do anything about it? America is not the place it was once (50 years ago having a black president was little more than a fantasy) and many steps have been taken to try and bring black people up socially and economically - but in almost all social trends, they're still at the bottom of the heap.

Upvote 0

I Eat Pie

Sep 22, 2012
City of Angels.
✟4,228.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
50 years ago, things were great for black and white Americans. Something happened during the 60's that turned this country upside down. Was it Malcom X, the rap music, movies, drugs, what was it?

Yes, Notedstrangeperson, thank you.

What I'm trying to figure out is how this all started, and what we as a country can do to fix the problem.

Upvote 0