The Bible's Laws on Divorce and Remarriage.

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whosoever shall put away his wife, except for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery (Matthew 5:32).

In Matthew 19:9 it says: “Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery;"

Some think you can divorce for other reasons.

Technically, you can get divorced for any reason you want.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fornication only happens prior to the consummation . .Only for fornication which happens prior to the consummation.
No - I am agreeing with the words of the bible. Look it up. Fornication (inappropriate contentia) and adultery (moichaō) are not the same thing.

Adultery always referrs to sexual unfaithfulness in a marriage.
However, fornication can refer to both sex immorality before marriage and sexual unfaithfulness in a marriage. Idol worship was referred to as fornication.

Read this article from Gotquestions here:

What is the difference between fornication and adultery?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Technically, you can get divorced for any reason you want.

While one may have the freedom to do whatever one likes in this life, that does not mean God approves of that action, and or it is profitable.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Legally one can divorce because of infidelity, abuse, or because you suddenly hate how your spouse looks in the morning. Various branches of numerous faiths have beliefs about the spiritual justification for divorce or the ramifications of divorce, but that doesn’t impact one’s ability to obtain a divorce. I really doubt there are many Agnostics saying they can’t divorce because some branches of Christianity insist Christian Bible says not to, just as I strongly suspect that when a Christian divorces they aren’t exactly worried about where they now stand spiritually with the Wiccans.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While one may have the freedom to do whatever one likes in this life, that does not mean God approves of that action, and or it is profitable.

If God approves or not is a discussion about spiritual justification for divorce, which is a bit different than making a statement about one’s ability to obtain a divorce, or outlining what one must do before going to God’s office and filing for one before God says “yup, you’re divorced.”

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If God approves or not is a discussion about spiritual justification for divorce, which is a bit different than making a statement about one’s ability to obtain a divorce, or outlining what one must do before going to God’s office and filing for one before God says “yup, you’re divorced.”

God regards marriage or divorce involving the laws of our own country today. Romans 13 says we are to submit to the law of the land (unless it conflicts with God's laws obviously). If we are rebel against these laws, we rebelling against God.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Legally one can divorce because of infidelity, abuse, or because you suddenly hate how your spouse looks in the morning. Various branches of numerous faiths have beliefs about the spiritual justification for divorce or the ramifications of divorce, but that doesn’t impact one’s ability to obtain a divorce. I really doubt there are many Agnostics saying they can’t divorce because some branches of Christianity insist Christian Bible says not to, just as I strongly suspect that when a Christian divorces they aren’t exactly worried about where they now stand spiritually with the Wiccans.

Christians should be concerned with what God thinks. The Bible says God hates divorce. So we should take that under serious consideration. If a spouse dies, they are no longer married and they can remarry. But if the spouse is unfaithful, they can divorce them for their unfaithfulness but they are not supposed to remarry.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
This is news to me, but I am not too surprised. After all, lest we ever forget, probably tens of thousands of women were put to death during the witch trials in Central Europe, most from 1580-1630. For some reason, the witch craze seems to have escaped the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox areas. Sadly, some of the Catholic and Protestant nations will never live done the shame of burning people at the stake for witchcraft, of which Wikipedia says 80% were women.

The old canons are full of amusing stuff. Like forbidding people to urinate facing east, for instance. Obviously, few people today take them all that seriously.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God teaches one can divorce per these:

[1] marital unfaithfulness: Matthew 19:9, Matthew 5:31,32
[2] malicious desertion of the spouse: Malachi 2:14-15

Malachi 2:14-15 says no such thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
How strict are they with what constitutes flaws?
It seems to vary, but I would say probably not strict enough. Some canon lawyers seem to think that most marriages are flawed enough to be invalid, and thus an annulment is possible for almost any excuse. That makes it 'Catholic divorce'. Other canon lawyers are more strict. The reality is some marriages are so deeply flawed from the very beginning that someone should have told them to call it off. In retrospect they were impossible and should have never happened. I don't know what the proportion is. Then there are marriages that were valid but failed due to the hardness of at least one of the spouses.

There are lots of Catholics who, when denied an annulment, become Protestant so they can remarry. I see it all the time.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
But I find Catholics get around the restrictions by simply having their marriages illegitimately annulled. After having 5 kids and over 20 years of marriage my mother divorced my father (who was a staunch Catholic) in the courts. After a while my father starting dating and wanted to marry a woman he found and so went to the Catholic Church to try to nullify his first marriage. He got denied at the first one, but got the OK at a different diocese on the basis that his first wife hadn't taken the marriage vow seriously, and thereby turning his kids (including myself) into illegitimate bastards. And that's one way they get around the Catholic restrictions. If one goes to the courts to divorce, the other can nullify the marriage on the basis that the spouse hadn't taken the vow seriously.
Did your father lie about it to get the result he wanted? He certainly went shopping for the verdict he wanted. I would not like to be facing God for that.

And no, you are not made illegitimate by an annulment any more than you become illegitimate after your parents divorce.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Marriage to God means FAR more to Him than man. See when He says.. both leave ma and pa :) and then become one.. to Him..you are ONE! To divided that....NOT a good idea.

Yet.. Christ died.. we get up dust off and forgive.. HE FORGIVES as if it never happen. We in this world pay the price for some sins. Its your choice.. obey God or not. To divorce was not given by God.. if you need an example is look at GOD and Israel. God is STILL faithful to Israel. Israel has not been. People stood in line to get at her.. He waited in line and bought her back.. I LOVE that story... thats how I take it. I truly do not believe love dies.. I believe it just get buried.

Ever think about "love your enemy"..what kind of LOVE is that? Does love ever think of its self? Apply all of that to your spouse.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whosoever shall put away his wife, except for the cause of fornication, causes her to commit adultery (Matthew 5:32).

In Matthew 19:9 it says: “Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery;"

I think Paul makes the only other exception:

1 Corinthians 7:15

But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

I would consider not being under bondage in meaning that they don't need to attempt to reconcile. It's better for them to stay unmarried or find a Christian spouse.

Otherwise you are correct, there is no other reason to divorce except because of marital unfaithfulness. There is also nothing to say that you have to get divorced either. You could choose to forgive and reconcile as well.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

twin.spin

Trust the LORD and not on your own understanding
May 1, 2010
✟72,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I think Paul makes the only other exception:

1 Corinthians 7:15

But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

I would consider not being under bondage in meaning that they don't need to attempt to reconcile. It's better for them to stay unmarried or find a Christian spouse.

Otherwise you are correct, there is no other reason to divorce except because of marital unfaithfulness. There is also nothing to say that you have to get divorced either. You could choose to forgive and reconcile as well.
1 Corinthians 7:15 is an example of malicious desertion of the spouse.

Beyond physically deserting a spouse, the Bible does not specifically list other ways in which malicious desertion can take place (I Corinthians 7:15). As malicious desertion is characterized by sins that are unilateral, willful and permanent, it could take the form of physical or emotional abuse, refusal to have sexual relations with one’s spouse, or refusal to support the spouse financially. (Malachi 2:14-15)

Because of the complexities of relationships, Christian discernment and pastoral counseling are essential when it comes to determining malicious desertion.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Did your father lie about it to get the result he wanted? He certainly went shopping for the verdict he wanted. I would not like to be facing God for that.

And no, you are not made illegitimate by an annulment any more than you become illegitimate after your parents divorce.
Unlike divorce, an annulment means the marriage was never legitimate to begin with.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Jesus says because of unfaithfulness, Paul extends it to abandonment in 1 Cor 7, both are "the Bible". Jesus and Paul were addressing two different issues, Jesus with corrupted Jewish lifestyles and Paul with honorable Christian living practices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

It also says that to even ever look at another person with lust in your mind or heart is adultery also...

So, can we, should we, divorce due to that...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In those days, adultery was punishable by stoning, Leviticus 20:10; John 8:1-11.
So Jesus is not saying that adultery was grounds for divorce. Divorce would not have been needed - if a man accused his wife of adultery and could prove it, she'd be dead and he'd be a widower.

These days, you can.
These days if a woman marries a man who turns out to be violent, a wife beater, becomes an alcoholic or whatever, she doesn't have to put up with it.
And if a man walks out on his wife to live with another woman; five years later, they can divorce without her consent.

Divorce isn't ideal; but it happens.

Upvote 0